Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,147,902 members, 7,799,022 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 April 2024 at 01:58 PM

I'm Getting Married To My Longtime Girlfriend.damn The Nigeria Government! - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / I'm Getting Married To My Longtime Girlfriend.damn The Nigeria Government! (1808 Views)

Should He Tell Her Husband And Damn The Consequences? / How To Know You Are A Damn Side Chick...(photo) / I'm Getting Married In December, But To The Wrong Person. Pls Help Me Out (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

I'm Getting Married To My Longtime Girlfriend.damn The Nigeria Government! by Nobody: 12:43pm On Jan 15, 2012
I was kinda surprised almost every nigerian was rejoicing when the law was passed against same-sex marriage.
apart from Nature/God, which man has the right to stop me from marrying my long time girlfriend?
so if i marry my gf, i will be thrown in jail? please think about it, did i commit any heinous crime? i didnt kill anyone or steal anything,i'm just fulfilling my heart desire and now i'm faced with the threat of the law.
But this is Nigeria, anything can happen, i can marry her and secretly we do our stuff together.

But i'm not claiming to be bigger than the government, even my girl is afraid of what might happen to us, if unfriendly people find out about us. So please i need advice from real good people on what i should do?

should we seek asylum elsewhere so i can live my life in peace? what do you think i should do? I love my girl and i made a promise to her we will be together for life. please advise!
Re: I'm Getting Married To My Longtime Girlfriend.damn The Nigeria Government! by claremont(m): 1:20pm On Jan 15, 2012
Since there is a law against g-ay marriage in Nigeria, it will be fool-hardy to marry your girlfriend and "damn the consequences". I am totally in support of the rights of the g-ay community to practise consensual relationships without any fear of discrimination, but I am not in support of breaking the law. If you MUST marry your girlfriend, I will advise that you look for ways and means of leaving that god-forsaken country and seeking asylum in a much more civilised country were legislators know the difference between public affairs and private affairs.

Goodluck! cool
Re: I'm Getting Married To My Longtime Girlfriend.damn The Nigeria Government! by emofine2(f): 2:27pm On Jan 15, 2012
Wow. You are brave, Miss.

should we seek asylum elsewhere so i can live my life in peace?

That might be the only way if you want to live "in peace" sad
I agree with Claremont.

Best of luck!
Re: I'm Getting Married To My Longtime Girlfriend.damn The Nigeria Government! by Nobody: 2:35pm On Jan 15, 2012
When the laws or moves of a government of a country doesn't favour a minority, the best option remains seeking asylum in more accommodating environments. Even international laws make room for it. This has always been the case, and is perhaps the best option available to you right now.
You can look up countries where ga.y marriage is legal, contact the appropriate authorities or embassies in Nigeria, and see to how possible migration is on the strength of sexu.al discrimination. Otherwise, you can tackle horns with Nigeria's government, fight (to the death?) for your rights and see where that leads you. Oftentimes, in this case, international civil rights advocate may come to your aid, and may help ease your migration away from the country.
Re: I'm Getting Married To My Longtime Girlfriend.damn The Nigeria Government! by Mynd44: 3:12pm On Jan 15, 2012
If you can't live with the laws, leave
Re: I'm Getting Married To My Longtime Girlfriend.damn The Nigeria Government! by Nobody: 5:18pm On Jan 15, 2012
so the best bet is to seek asylum elsewhere, please can someone give me a breakdown in details on what to do? thanks
Re: I'm Getting Married To My Longtime Girlfriend.damn The Nigeria Government! by Mynd44: 5:20pm On Jan 15, 2012
Try Canada or some European company
Re: I'm Getting Married To My Longtime Girlfriend.damn The Nigeria Government! by 25omega(m): 5:28pm On Jan 15, 2012
diluminati:

so the best bet is to seek asylum elsewhere, please can someone give me a breakdown in details on what to do? thanks
poster
yes asylum might work out for you but the problem is you will have to prove that your life is in actual danger for a western country to give you asylum. Unfortunately walking into a country like the u.s and saying that the govt ban ga-y marriages which means you can't marry your girl will not show any proof of persecution because Nigeria a sovereign state and they can pass their own laws. Though ga-y right activists might support you but you will be told the law in Nigeria is the law in Nigeria.

short of you being out of the closet and people chasing you all the way to the airport im not sure that an asylum would be that easy because there have been other folks who have tried that avenue and it didn't work or they are sitting in immigration jail
Re: I'm Getting Married To My Longtime Girlfriend.damn The Nigeria Government! by Mynd44: 5:37pm On Jan 15, 2012
You can also try asylum is Ikoyi cemetry
Re: I'm Getting Married To My Longtime Girlfriend.damn The Nigeria Government! by Cuddlemii: 5:41pm On Jan 15, 2012
Relocation sounds cool. Even if you successfully fool people and do a secret marriage in naija, you will always be jittery & uncomfortable.

Nigerians are very nosy, they would find out in future and some xtain fanatic or chronic moslim might report you to the constituted authority.

You and your partner would always be living a false life and playing the hide and seek game. You need to be in a place where you would have fresh air & be accepted for what you both are. Its very possible you both might want to adopt kids in future or something, we both know that is not possible in naija so you might as well shift base. Also the issue of public display of affection would not be possible in naija if you are the expressive type. It sucks when you would love to smooch your partner but you have to get into the house first, lock the doors and all locks like common criminals.

I am sure u would figure it out. "wow" I must commend your boldness wink
Re: I'm Getting Married To My Longtime Girlfriend.damn The Nigeria Government! by Mynd44: 6:07pm On Jan 15, 2012
Cuddle, you are misunderstanding the point here. They can live together but they cab't marry that's all whatever they choose to do behind closed doors is their business
Re: I'm Getting Married To My Longtime Girlfriend.damn The Nigeria Government! by Cuddlemii: 6:11pm On Jan 15, 2012
Mynd_44:

Cuddle, you are misunderstanding the point here. They can live together but they cab't marry that's all whatever they choose to do behind closed doors is their business

I bet you didn't understand my post. I only added jara and fisi. I said someone would eventually get to know about the marriage (even done secretly) and report them to constituted authority. I also said there are other stuffs married people would love to exhibit that they can't. Just say you wanted me to wave at you, I see u wink tongue cheesy grin
Re: I'm Getting Married To My Longtime Girlfriend.damn The Nigeria Government! by Nobody: 6:18pm On Jan 15, 2012
@OP i dunno what part of nigeria your from but my sister based in abuja and has been with her girlfriend for over 3 years and they have been really open about their relationship without much discrimination thrown at them. i suggest you and your girl move to a open-minded community in a more developed area of the country, if not, move abroad
Re: I'm Getting Married To My Longtime Girlfriend.damn The Nigeria Government! by Nobody: 7:38pm On Jan 15, 2012
this is unfair really  cry

i have investments worth N6m, i have 3 siblings, girls for that matter under my care and they are just 10, 12 and 15 years. My dad left when i was just 5 and my Mum, late. My girlfriend has been my pillar all through the years right from my varsity days.
I dont know what to do now  it seems reality is fading away from my eyes. i'm broken. i cant leave her, that will be the end of me and she cant either. i cant leave my siblings, no i cant.
Re: I'm Getting Married To My Longtime Girlfriend.damn The Nigeria Government! by Mynd44: 8:38pm On Jan 15, 2012
@Cuddlemii, You dona seem to get me. They can't marry as it will be a furtile action. It will just be a waste of papper but they can live together as a couple and even the government can't stop that
Re: I'm Getting Married To My Longtime Girlfriend.damn The Nigeria Government! by omega25red(m): 9:50pm On Jan 15, 2012
poster

what does marriage mean to you?
it is unfair that you cant be open with your life like everyone else but you have your lady and you have your family so what is complicating your life? i mean in nigeria its not like most people are out flaunting their relationships anyway but why not just live a modest quiet life like you have been doing?
Re: I'm Getting Married To My Longtime Girlfriend.damn The Nigeria Government! by Mynd44: 12:41am On Jan 16, 2012
As TI said "live your life"
Re: I'm Getting Married To My Longtime Girlfriend.damn The Nigeria Government! by Nobody: 1:20am On Jan 16, 2012
Promise?? Na so u hate prick? undecided
Re: I'm Getting Married To My Longtime Girlfriend.damn The Nigeria Government! by Mynd44: 8:59am On Jan 16, 2012
^^^
It's not about hating d!cks or not.
Re: I'm Getting Married To My Longtime Girlfriend.damn The Nigeria Government! by snthesis(m): 5:30pm On Jan 16, 2012
thread shud b renamed "new scam to seek asylum" grin grin grin grin
Re: I'm Getting Married To My Longtime Girlfriend.damn The Nigeria Government! by Mynd44: 5:39pm On Jan 16, 2012
snthesis:

Come tothink of it, you might be right
Re: I'm Getting Married To My Longtime Girlfriend.damn The Nigeria Government! by mashnino(m): 5:42pm On Jan 16, 2012
Re: I'm Getting Married To My Longtime Girlfriend.damn The Nigeria Government! by rabzy: 5:00pm On Jan 17, 2012
diluminati:

this is unfair really  cry

i have investments worth N6m, i have 3 siblings, girls for that matter under my care and they are just 10, 12 and 15 years. My dad left when i was just 5 and my Mum, late. My girlfriend has been my pillar all through the years right from my varsity days.
I dont know what to do now  it seems reality is fading away from my eyes. i'm broken. i cant leave her, that will be the end of me and she cant either. i cant leave my siblings, no i cant.

Before the publicized announcement and the subsequent passage of the law, would you have been able to be consummate your marriage. Valid marriages in Nigeria before the law are either traditional or court marriage, before now i have never heard of same-sex marriage been allowed under such institutions. So crying over this is not necessary, it was never going to happen in the first place.
Re: I'm Getting Married To My Longtime Girlfriend.damn The Nigeria Government! by ronkebp(f): 5:13pm On Jan 17, 2012
diluminati:

this is unfair really cry

I dont know what to do now it seems reality is fading away from my eyes. i'm broken. i cant leave her, that will be the end of me and she cant either. i cant leave my siblings, no i cant.

Then remain single and be doing your thing codedly as you have been doing it. Nigeria is not going to publlicly condone g, ay - marraiges, At least that is a stand we know that is not being influenced by the westernized countries. Which i am personally in full support of.
Re: I'm Getting Married To My Longtime Girlfriend.damn The Nigeria Government! by r231(m): 5:22pm On Jan 17, 2012
snthesis:

Lol grin grin grin grin
Re: I'm Getting Married To My Longtime Girlfriend.damn The Nigeria Government! by Mynd44: 7:42pm On Jan 17, 2012
Just enjoy your live with the person you love. Must you be married?
Re: I'm Getting Married To My Longtime Girlfriend.damn The Nigeria Government! by Nobody: 10:54pm On Jan 17, 2012
i've never heard theres a scam for asylum. and i'm not into that bullshite.
My mother made me promise her that i'll get married in my lifetime.
sorry if i hate dickss, nothing good has ever come out of pricks.
Re: I'm Getting Married To My Longtime Girlfriend.damn The Nigeria Government! by Nobody: 11:10pm On Jan 17, 2012
diluminati:

i've never heard theres a scam for asylum. and i'm not into that bullshite.
My mother made me promise her that i'll get married in my lifetime.
sorry if i hate dickss, nothing good has ever come out of pricks.
So essentially, you've just affirmed [b]you [/b]are "nothing good". undecided

well, as you say it, so it is to you.  wink

(1) (Reply)

How To Know Mr. Right / She Is Catholic, And Am Not. Can It Work Out? / Having Feelings Now For Someone You Didn't Consider Before

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.