Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,284 members, 7,807,961 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 12:11 AM

Android: How To Solve Excessive Bandwidth Usage On Your Phone - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Android: How To Solve Excessive Bandwidth Usage On Your Phone (16405 Views)

Android : How To Use Dual Whatsapp On A Single Android Device / Internet Usage On Nigeria’s GSM Networks Increases To 81 Million / 7 Things Affecting Battery And Data Life On Your Android & How To Manage Them (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Android: How To Solve Excessive Bandwidth Usage On Your Phone by cj1080(m): 2:52pm On Jan 15, 2012
We will look at how to solve and control
bandwidth usage on an android phone. First off if you have an antivirus app that has a firewall built into it,like Netquins or Norton then ur off to a good start. If you don‘t have such apps go get em.

I got Netquins. Now open the app to the network admin option or tab then click the firewall tab.

Next you will a list of apps on ur phone or tablet that connect to the network using wifi or 2G, 3G.

Tip off the apps u don‘t want connecting to the net without ur permission.

Once thats done, save then exit and head to you phone settings the to accounts and sync.

When that opens tip off auto syncing and background syncing. Once thats done, just live ur 3G or 2G network
active for about 2hours and.check you
bandwidth usage after then.

Check out the full details and pics here

cjbrians./2012/01/15/android-low-bandwidth-solutions/
Re: Android: How To Solve Excessive Bandwidth Usage On Your Phone by Mobinga: 3:27pm On Jan 15, 2012
Dope. That's a good option, but I don't even want any app to run in the background.

All I do is disconnect "Mobile Network" when I'm not using it, and disable background data. Use a Task Killer to kill the apps running in the background, but that is futile, because the core services still get restarted, even Facebook does.

Re: Android: How To Solve Excessive Bandwidth Usage On Your Phone by Mobinga: 3:29pm On Jan 15, 2012
So Nairaland is even censoring "D[i]o[/i]pe"??
Re: Android: How To Solve Excessive Bandwidth Usage On Your Phone by newman10(m): 11:56pm On Jan 15, 2012
Mobinga so what's the solution?
Re: Android: How To Solve Excessive Bandwidth Usage On Your Phone by cj1080(m): 1:42pm On Jan 16, 2012
The system apps still consume some.bandwidth,particularly bluetooth system and dialer.but with the facebook,twitter and market ticked off on the firewall, you save one on bandwidth as this three tend to connect alot for no reason.

But i‘m beginning to find out, that its all about the firewall one is using and whether it can see and control the connection of system apps. let me try some firewall apps and see if anything useful comes from it.
Re: Android: How To Solve Excessive Bandwidth Usage On Your Phone by cj1080(m): 2:47pm On Jan 16, 2012
Ladies and gents, problem solved.

So i did a little scouting and came up on this app called droid wall.

Niffty little thing of just 311kb but it sees all ur system apps and installed apps.

Download it from the market and install. Once thats done, just tick the apps u want to connect,save the rule and enablr the firewall.

Nothing else will connect aside what u ticked to connect.
Try it out gents.

Re: Android: How To Solve Excessive Bandwidth Usage On Your Phone by Mobinga: 6:08pm On Jan 16, 2012
Re: Android: How To Solve Excessive Bandwidth Usage On Your Phone by Mobinga: 6:10pm On Jan 16, 2012
It even requires root?
Re: Android: How To Solve Excessive Bandwidth Usage On Your Phone by cj1080(m): 11:13pm On Jan 16, 2012
if your on froyo or ginger bread get gingerbreak app and install it. it will root ur phone and ask you to allow superuser.
If ur on anything higher than froyo or ginger bread, google how to root ur phone.
Re: Android: How To Solve Excessive Bandwidth Usage On Your Phone by Emeka72(m): 11:29am On Jan 18, 2012
@Op, I think its for only those dat use Android.
Re: Android: How To Solve Excessive Bandwidth Usage On Your Phone by Nobody: 1:47pm On Jan 18, 2012
Emeka 7.:

@Op, I think its for only those dat use Android.

No, na for nokia touch light

u can't read the topic shey?
Re: Android: How To Solve Excessive Bandwidth Usage On Your Phone by heroes1983(m): 2:05pm On Jan 18, 2012
I wonder why this long story. if you are using 2.2, simply go to settings, then to wireless and network, scroll down to mobile networks and open. in it you will find data enabled, just remove the tick by it. then you phone would not connect to data transfer until the tick is placed back.

or better still you can download go launcher from market and further download go widget 'switch'. after this on your main screen long tap on an empty space, on add to screen choose Go widget, and furter choose switch. when switch is added on screen tab the 3 dots on the right to open its settings. tab on settings then shift mobile network to be on the top 6 . on pressing ok. You can on or off network data tranfer on your screen
Re: Android: How To Solve Excessive Bandwidth Usage On Your Phone by kokogee: 2:25pm On Jan 18, 2012
educative
Re: Android: How To Solve Excessive Bandwidth Usage On Your Phone by IbroSaunks(m): 2:49pm On Jan 18, 2012
well I use an app called juicedefender. it's for increasing battery life, but one of the ways it does that is by switching off packet data whenever the phone is on standby. that reduces data usage and also saves juice in my battery! it's available on the market.
Re: Android: How To Solve Excessive Bandwidth Usage On Your Phone by islamrules(m): 3:31pm On Jan 18, 2012
Wait for Mango mobile
Re: Android: How To Solve Excessive Bandwidth Usage On Your Phone by Chief06: 3:33pm On Jan 18, 2012
Why not simply turn off the data when you're not using it, then turn it back on when you are? Messing with individual apps while good, is too time consuming,

Twitter and FB consume data btw because they always check for updates,

http://www.AndroidAmbrosia.com
Re: Android: How To Solve Excessive Bandwidth Usage On Your Phone by 2kurupt(m): 3:45pm On Jan 18, 2012
Best moves I ever made on my droid to curtail data & power wastage:

-Installing Droid Wall to prevent unnecessary data connection and

-App Quarantine to lock up apps dat I don't want running on background eating up my ba3 (infact it even prevents the apps from starting up including those unnecessary google apps dat ain't needed in 9ja)
Re: Android: How To Solve Excessive Bandwidth Usage On Your Phone by Slyr0x: 4:06pm On Jan 18, 2012
Settings >>> Wireless & Networks >>> Mobile Networks >>> Enable always-on mobile data (untick this)

That's all.
Re: Android: How To Solve Excessive Bandwidth Usage On Your Phone by cj1080(m): 4:21pm On Jan 18, 2012
Gentlemen, remember those when were using nokia symbian phones and you could just connect to the net with ease and only when u want.

Well for me, droid wall with a combo of netquins firewall and app quarantee did that.

Now i leave my network ticked on all day with out fear of anything connecting in the back ground.

I used dis lor a day and monitored my progress via 3g watchdog and glo info and found it to be effective.

A must remember for most, turn off background syncing in ur accounts and sunc menu. Also tick only what u want to connect on droid wall. For me its operamini,imo,download engine,netquins.None of the other apps including facebook and the notorious twitter can connect.

Re: Android: How To Solve Excessive Bandwidth Usage On Your Phone by StarFlux: 4:44pm On Jan 18, 2012
I have a widget on my home screen that allows me to turn data on and off, quite simple. I aslo have easy access to running apps if I wish to close them.
Re: Android: How To Solve Excessive Bandwidth Usage On Your Phone by Nobody: 6:25pm On Jan 18, 2012
On my htc, I just go to settings and disable auto synchronization.
Re: Android: How To Solve Excessive Bandwidth Usage On Your Phone by Mobinga: 8:21pm On Jan 18, 2012
Also[b] disable background data.[/b]

Go to : Settings -> Accounts and Sync -> Un-check Disable Background data

Re: Android: How To Solve Excessive Bandwidth Usage On Your Phone by Yeske2(m): 6:56am On Jan 19, 2012
Mobinga:

Also[b] disable background data.[/b]

Go to : Settings -> Accounts and Sync -> Un-check Disable Background data

This works for me.
Re: Android: How To Solve Excessive Bandwidth Usage On Your Phone by ibrak90(m): 3:59pm On Jan 19, 2012
Thats a good one, Can anyone please help with similar solution for iphone ??
Ibrak
Re: Android: How To Solve Excessive Bandwidth Usage On Your Phone by Emeka72(m): 6:21am On Jan 20, 2012
I wanted to know if dose using NOKIA can try dat.
Re: Android: How To Solve Excessive Bandwidth Usage On Your Phone by lekside44(m): 2:29pm On Jan 20, 2012
well, no matter what, the bandwidth can be as efficient as a bb bandwidth.
Re: Android: How To Solve Excessive Bandwidth Usage On Your Phone by Nobody: 10:27pm On Jan 20, 2012
I have BRAND new AND USED 16GB BLACKBERRY PLAYBOOK FOR SELL, used: 60, new:75, pm me if interested: 07036694693, location: lagos
Re: Android: How To Solve Excessive Bandwidth Usage On Your Phone by Nobody: 10:28pm On Jan 20, 2012
I have BRAND new AND USED 16GB BLACKBERRY PLAYBOOK FOR SELL, used: 60, new:75, pm me if interested: 07036694693, location: lagos
Re: Android: How To Solve Excessive Bandwidth Usage On Your Phone by crazy4cellphon: 10:03am On Feb 24, 2012
To reduce the resource usage one can always avoid using too many scripts, can reduce the banners and adds of other sites or even one can avoid using https protocol and not force html to handle server-side code. This will really help in reducing the resource usage.

Thanks smiley smiley
http://crazy4cellphones.com
http://crazy4cellphones.com/upcoming-mobiles.php
Re: Android: How To Solve Excessive Bandwidth Usage On Your Phone by prettyboi1(m): 1:42pm On Feb 24, 2012
Excessive bandwidth usage stopped being a problem on my android device a long time ago, here's what I did/do:
1. I always turn off background synchronization from settings & only turn it on when I need to log unto the android market.
2. I always turn off my mobile network tick from the notification panel & only turn it on when I have to use internet connections.
3. I use this app called "onavo"_____it monitors your data usage in percentage & let's u know how much of ur daily,weekly or monthly data u have consumed & how much is remaining. It shows u a graph of your data consumption for every 5hours everyday.It also rates your data consumption in comments like : "you're doing ok" "you're using too much" etc etc, it's much better than 3g watchdog to me.

(1) (Reply)

How To Add Facebook Black Tick Verification Badge To Your Profile For Free / Understanding Glo Subscription (expiration, Active, Paused Status) / Orange Telecom Set To Invest In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.