Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,409 members, 7,808,457 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 12:12 PM

Kofi Annan, Cautioned Jonathan Against Arresting Protest Leaders - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Kofi Annan, Cautioned Jonathan Against Arresting Protest Leaders (9136 Views)

Queen Elizabeth Hosts Obasanjo,Kofi Anan At Commonwealth Day Service 2016(pics / Tinubu Warns Jonathan Against Fani-kayode / Kofi Annan - Abiola's Death Was Suspicious. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Kofi Annan, Cautioned Jonathan Against Arresting Protest Leaders by honeynews: 6:37am On Jan 16, 2012
[center][size=14pt]Kofi Annan, Former UN Sec. General, Cautioned Jonathan Against Arresting Protest Leaders[/size]

[/center]

Former United Nations Secretary General Kofi Annan helped prevail on President Goodluck Jonathan to jettison plans to have the State Security Services (SSS) arrest four leaders of the OccupyNigeria movement.

Saharareporters had revealed the president’s plot which was leaked to us by SSS operatives in Abuja. The SSS was to arrest civil rights attorney, Femi Falana, Fiery Lagos pastor, Tunde Bakare, ex-member of house of representatives, Dino Melaye and and Kaduna based activist, Shehu Sani.

Shortly after our report, Mr. Annan reportedly made a call to President Jonathan expressing grave concern about the planned crackdown on leaders of the mass protest that have swelled in Lagos, Abuja, Minna, Kano, Kaduna and other cities in recent weeks.

A source disclosed that Mr. Jonathan called off the arrest of the activists shortly after speaking with Mr. Annan. However, he insisted that labor leaders call off all street demonstrations.

It was unclear whether the decision not to arrest the protest leaders was partly responsible for Mr. Jonathan's cancellation of a presidential speech that was originally scheduled for 9:00 p.m. Nigerian time on Sunday.

Nigerian Labor Congress president Abdulwaheed Omar told the Associated Press that the NLC had canceled street rallies due to "security concerns" expressed by President Jonathan. Saharareporters learnt that the so-called security concerns had to do with the government’s original plan to target a few prominent activists for arrest.

Mr. Annan call to Jonathan is seen as a major sign that the international community might despatch him to intervene in Nigeria the same way he was called upon to mediate in Kenya's 2008 post-election violence.

http://saharareporters.com/news-page/kofi-annan-former-un-sec-general-cautioned-jonathan-against-arresting-protest-leaders
Re: Kofi Annan, Cautioned Jonathan Against Arresting Protest Leaders by Nobody: 7:52am On Jan 16, 2012
stop pushing your crappy website

http://saharareporters.com/news-page/kofi-annan-former-un-sec-general-cautioned-jonathan-against-arresting-protest-leaders

Former United Nations Secretary General Kofi Annan helped prevail on President Goodluck Jonathan to jettison plans to have the State Security Services (SSS) arrest four leaders of the OccupyNigeria movement.

Saharareporters had revealed the president’s plot which was leaked to us by SSS operatives in Abuja. The SSS was to arrest civil rights attorney, Femi Falana, Fiery Lagos pastor, Tunde Bakare, ex-member of house of representatives, Dino Melaye and and Kaduna based activist, Shehu Sani.

Shortly after our report, Mr. Annan reportedly made a call to President Jonathan expressing grave concern about the planned crackdown on leaders of the mass protest that have swelled in Lagos, Abuja, Minna, Kano, Kaduna and other cities in recent weeks.

A source disclosed that Mr. Jonathan called off the arrest of the activists shortly after speaking with Mr. Annan. However, he insisted that labor leaders call off all street demonstrations.

It was unclear whether the decision not to arrest the protest leaders was partly responsible for Mr. Jonathan's cancellation of a presidential speech that was originally scheduled for 9:00 p.m. Nigerian time on Sunday.

Nigerian Labor Congress president Abdulwaheed Omar told the Associated Press that the NLC had canceled street rallies due to "security concerns" expressed by President Jonathan. Saharareporters learnt that the so-called security concerns had to do with the government’s original plan to target a few prominent activists for arrest.

Mr. Annan call to Jonathan is seen as a major sign that the international community might despatch him to intervene in Nigeria the same way he was called upon to mediate in Kenya's 2008 post-election violence.

Johnathan will have o credibility left in the international circle - using soldiers and known criminals to crush protests

i can only imagine what will happen in 2015

you fools who voted for this better hope we don't get a president for life
Re: Kofi Annan, Cautioned Jonathan Against Arresting Protest Leaders by skullbaba: 8:13am On Jan 16, 2012
this is what Naigerian are waiting for. let general goatlock thugs kill more Naigerians so that he would be dealth with like gadaffii and his likes
Re: Kofi Annan, Cautioned Jonathan Against Arresting Protest Leaders by highland(m): 8:24am On Jan 16, 2012
This arrest may lead to more protest. Jona should desist from that intention.
Re: Kofi Annan, Cautioned Jonathan Against Arresting Protest Leaders by oluwabamis(m): 8:35am On Jan 16, 2012
gej or jeg should listen to voice of wisdom. he will only commit political suicide by arresting protezters
Re: Kofi Annan, Cautioned Jonathan Against Arresting Protest Leaders by jamace(m): 8:36am On Jan 16, 2012
I hope GEJ is listening.
Re: Kofi Annan, Cautioned Jonathan Against Arresting Protest Leaders by Kobojunkie: 8:37am On Jan 16, 2012
Honestly, insulting the man is not what people should spend their time on. We are waiting to see Nigerians take the bull by the horn and step out to say THIS IS IT . . . ENOUGH IS ENOUGH!!

What are the poeple going to do about this? That is the question we want answers to. , . . not this rants and ramblings about how Goodluck head look like kpomo or no look like kpomo.
Re: Kofi Annan, Cautioned Jonathan Against Arresting Protest Leaders by Akwasi(m): 9:47am On Jan 16, 2012
I hope the president will take this advise
Re: Kofi Annan, Cautioned Jonathan Against Arresting Protest Leaders by sammirano: 9:48am On Jan 16, 2012
This development is so shocking, I believe the activists are thinking of the next line of action. I bet the struggle won't die here
Re: Kofi Annan, Cautioned Jonathan Against Arresting Protest Leaders by Nobody: 9:50am On Jan 16, 2012
[size=15pt]Sahara lied, there was no such warrant or memo issued. And there was no such calls to Jonathan from Koffi Annan. If you believe the sentimental blogging from Sahara Reporters, you can believe anything. Once in a while they have fact, but I can tell you 97% of the information they put online are bogus and no intelligent human should be visiting that blog except for a comic relief[/size]
Re: Kofi Annan, Cautioned Jonathan Against Arresting Protest Leaders by onyengbu: 9:52am On Jan 16, 2012
Kobojunkie:

Honestly, insulting the man is not what people should spend their time on.  We are waiting to see Nigerians take the bull by the horn and step out to say THIS IS IT . . . ENOUGH IS ENOUGH!!  

What are the poeple going to do about this? That is the question we want answers to. , . . not this rants and ramblings about how Goodluck head look like kpomo or no look like kpomo.

What are you doing back there in Chicago? Are you not also a Nigerian?

Come smell some bullets abeg!
Re: Kofi Annan, Cautioned Jonathan Against Arresting Protest Leaders by Nobody: 10:12am On Jan 16, 2012
GEJ hope you are listening!!!
Re: Kofi Annan, Cautioned Jonathan Against Arresting Protest Leaders by deboski4u: 10:22am On Jan 16, 2012
if u believe sahara reporters then God will help u,
Re: Kofi Annan, Cautioned Jonathan Against Arresting Protest Leaders by omar22(m): 10:31am On Jan 16, 2012
In a democracy, "you get the politicians you deserve"
Re: Kofi Annan, Cautioned Jonathan Against Arresting Protest Leaders by papaejima2: 10:38am On Jan 16, 2012
LeoMax:

[size=15pt]Sahara lied, there was no such warrant or memo issued. And there was no such calls to Jonathan from Koffi Annan. If you believe the sentimental blogging from Sahara Reporters, you can believe anything. Once in a while they have fact, but I can tell you 97% of the information they put online are bogus and no intelligent human should be visiting that blog except for a comic relief[/size]

So, what makes you think that we should believe you instead of Sahara reporters? If "no intelligent human" should be visiting that blog, then you have the most unintelligent humans running your government because they visit it daily. Go spin your concocted, amateurish and unintelligent lies elsewhere.
Re: Kofi Annan, Cautioned Jonathan Against Arresting Protest Leaders by Ardedaryor(m): 10:49am On Jan 16, 2012
GOD pls help this poor country
Re: Kofi Annan, Cautioned Jonathan Against Arresting Protest Leaders by onojiwizardgmailcom(m): 10:54am On Jan 16, 2012
nigerians  should learn to read in between the lines that was a false report by saharareporters dat website only promote northern agendas
Re: Kofi Annan, Cautioned Jonathan Against Arresting Protest Leaders by valencia25(m): 10:57am On Jan 16, 2012
Learn from this man,
Can't stop laughing when i read this

Conversation between Nigerians(Igbo, Hausa, Yoruba): http://naijamediaworld..com/2012/01/conversation-between-nigeriansigbo.html
Re: Kofi Annan, Cautioned Jonathan Against Arresting Protest Leaders by dbride: 11:01am On Jan 16, 2012
LeoMax, you again? Why did Kofi Annan advise Jonathan not to arrest them if GEJ did not plan to do such?  LeoMax, let your biased  mind not becloud your sense of reasoning.  You told me you speak the truth only; NO, LeoMax, I have been following you but I dare say you are fighting TRUTH.  Who fights TRUTH and win? I wish you luck!
Re: Kofi Annan, Cautioned Jonathan Against Arresting Protest Leaders by nairaman66(m): 11:03am On Jan 16, 2012
Sahara lied, there was no such warrant or memo issued. And there was no such calls to Jonathan from Koffi Annan. If you believe the sentimental blogging from Sahara Reporters, you can believe anything. Once in a while they have fact, but I can tell you 97% of the information they put online are bogus and no intelligent human should be visiting that blog except for a comic relief

It is the same website that leaked the president speech slated for Monday. Spin your lies somewhere. I can imagine you are one of Goatlock's disciples!
Re: Kofi Annan, Cautioned Jonathan Against Arresting Protest Leaders by vedaxcool(m): 11:24am On Jan 16, 2012
nairaman66:

It is the same website that leaked the president speech slated for Monday. Spin your lies somewhere. I can imagine you are one of Goatlock's disciples!

true talk, that singular move by sahara reporters shows they have a great level of credibility furthermore, it is also an indication that many people around GEJ are probably frustrated and hardly believe in him as a leader!
Re: Kofi Annan, Cautioned Jonathan Against Arresting Protest Leaders by Mcjoke(m): 11:32am On Jan 16, 2012
[color=#006600][/color]
Re: Kofi Annan, Cautioned Jonathan Against Arresting Protest Leaders by Chnges(m): 11:38am On Jan 16, 2012
I dont believe in this bullshit!! Op! Were yhu tracking their calls?? Nonsense! Jux listen 2 d whole story from the prev. Post 2 dis 1 __mtcheew tym wasting
Re: Kofi Annan, Cautioned Jonathan Against Arresting Protest Leaders by Nobody: 11:43am On Jan 16, 2012
All these crap about Sahara Reporters releasing an advanced copy of the President's speech is really funny. Advance copies of such speeches/broadcast are always given to credible media organisations. So what's the big deal getting help from any of these or somebody having two pay masters.
Re: Kofi Annan, Cautioned Jonathan Against Arresting Protest Leaders by omo9ja1(m): 11:50am On Jan 16, 2012
point one

NOT ALL INFORMATION ONLINE ARE 100% ACCURATE MAYBE BE AS OF TIME OF PUBLISHING BUT THINGS CHANGE

I FEEL SAHARA ARE INACCURATE

BUT TAKE THAT PRESIDENTIAL SPEECH THEY ARE 110% ACCURATE

THERE IS INSIDER LIVING ON THIS INFORMATION LEAKAGE
Re: Kofi Annan, Cautioned Jonathan Against Arresting Protest Leaders by Nobody: 11:56am On Jan 16, 2012
If you believe this story by sahara reporters, then you would belive anything, "The earth is flat and not spherical", if believe this, don't you?   there earlier report as regards the arrest of falana and co was a bogus lie and to save face sahara reporters have decided to cook up a story of kofi annan calling GEJ. Gej clearly undrstands the consequences of arresting falana and co, and would not do that.
Re: Kofi Annan, Cautioned Jonathan Against Arresting Protest Leaders by ceejayluv(m): 12:18pm On Jan 16, 2012
The President's speech was sent to different media organisations before hand. Sahara Reporters are crappy! Surviving on propaganda!
Re: Kofi Annan, Cautioned Jonathan Against Arresting Protest Leaders by OmoPastor(m): 12:22pm On Jan 16, 2012
What are these people up to. this is not the way to go about it. occupy trash will not work cos nigeria is too big for that, they should seek dialogue instead. so what is their grievance about now i think fasola should be called to order.
Re: Kofi Annan, Cautioned Jonathan Against Arresting Protest Leaders by ifeci: 12:26pm On Jan 16, 2012
Sahara lied, there was no such warrant or memo issued. And there was no such calls to Jonathan from Koffi Annan. If you believe the sentimental blogging from Sahara Reporters, you can believe anything. Once in a while they have fact, but I can tell you 97% of the information they put online are bogus and no intelligent human should be visiting that blog except for a comic relief

Beaf is that you? just asking
Re: Kofi Annan, Cautioned Jonathan Against Arresting Protest Leaders by Eifeh(m): 6:19pm On Jan 16, 2012
Assu strike january 4, subsidy removal december 1 , NlC strike december 9, join it together it will give you 419
Re: Kofi Annan, Cautioned Jonathan Against Arresting Protest Leaders by member479760: 9:41pm On Jan 16, 2012
Once the international community get in, the game will change, if care is not in place bad fate is waiting for goat-head!
Re: Kofi Annan, Cautioned Jonathan Against Arresting Protest Leaders by lastpage: 11:20pm On Jan 16, 2012
I just pray that Jonathan, like the proverbial Dog that wants to get lost, should just intensify this crackdown on protesters 'cause that would surely, as yesterday, signify his downfall!

Make him go ask Ghadafi and Mubarak now! wink wink

Now that "outsiders" are taking notice and U.S is preparing "Plan B" for its citizens, l just dey laugh Oooooo!
grin grin grin

Please dont stop, Jona dont stop, dont stop (raps and dances to the "Jona-beat" kiss grin )

Lastpage!

(1) (2) (Reply)

Alex Otti Conferred With Chieftaincy Title (Photos) / Fayemi Asks Eleka To Join In Efforts To Take Ekiti To Next Level Of Development / Lagos State Insists On Special Revenue Allocation

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.