Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,972 members, 7,806,812 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 01:41 AM

Let's Talk About Ghanian Food! - Food - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Let's Talk About Ghanian Food! (2607 Views)

Hot Peppers Lovers, Let's Talk About Spicy Peppers and food / Let's Talk About Soya Bean / Let's Talk About Cooking Pots (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Let's Talk About Ghanian Food! by lolaluv1(f): 11:08am On Jan 16, 2012
I have eaten two native Ghanian dishes in all.
1. Donkunu (which is steamed sour corn, eaten with fried/fresh pepper, raw onions and fried whole fish), and
2. Banku (kinda like fufu) with groundnut soup.
I love those foods. And I can't wait for the day I'll try others.
What's your experience with Ghanian food, what's your verdict regarding Ghanian food and which ones have you eaten.
Lastly, which one would you recommend for me to tryout if I find myself in a Ghanian setting?
Re: Let's Talk About Ghanian Food! by JeSoul(f): 8:22pm On Jan 16, 2012
Ghanian food . . . very good food. I am friends with many ghanians and hence have tried tons & enjoyed most of them. As a west african country their food is much more closer to Nigerian food than say Kenyan. Off the top my head -

- Kenke. Similar to Banku in that its made from fermented corn. I'm not really a fan of fermented foods so . . .
- Waakye. A combination of rice, beans, spaghetti & dry garri, with fried fish & meat. Very heavy dish! lol.
- Shitto. A kind of sauce that is made with shrimp (and some other seafood maybe?) and spices. Eaten with rice, kenke and other foods.
- Bo-fruit & Chips. Their version of puff-puff and chin-chin. Darker in color, and 'heavier' in texture but tastes just as nice.
- Light-soup. A very healthy 'light' soup as the name implies containing meat, fish and veggies.
- Palmnut soup. I heard if you don't cook this soup right you'll be in for a looooonnngg night.lol.
     others, kelewele (a spicy fried plantain snack), Fishballs (yum!), fried yam (delish), khebabs (if you've had suya, you'll be unimpressed with their version), omotuo (rice balls), all versions of cooked tilapia etc etc . . . the list is long. Any in particular you were curious about?
Re: Let's Talk About Ghanian Food! by ifyalways(f): 7:44am On Jan 18, 2012
I have my shitto 24/7 and i soooo love it.It's actually a blend of fried tight and super dry(no water) pepper,tomatoes,garlic,ginger and fish.It's such a lovely handy sauce and goes with almost everything.eba,rice,yam etc.

I love me some palava sauce and boiled unripe plantain.Delish and nutritious.Not forgetting "red red" ie beans,some special fried spicy palm oil and plantain.

Fufu and light soup when i want to 'have it all'. and not forgetting koko and kosue,their version of pap and bean balls.
Ok,gotta stop now.lol

(1) (Reply)

Do You Think Taking Raw Milk Is Good? / Bulgar Sausage Sales And Supply In Blagos Nigeria: +2348034868990 / Igbo People What Is The Name Of This Fruit?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.