Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,387 members, 7,808,367 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 11:01 AM

Labour Calls Off Strike! - Politics (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Labour Calls Off Strike! (26630 Views)

Organised Labour Calls For Death Sentence For Treasury Looters / Oil Marketers, Nupeng, Pengassan Call Off Strike / Breaking News:labour Calls Off Strike (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Labour Calls Off Strike! by Ebenkay: 6:41pm On Jan 16, 2012
i think the decision of NLC/TUC is a very good one and they must be applauded for it. The problem of so many nigerians is that they prefer to die in silence. I'd it been that everybody accepted the removal what happend today by makin it partial removal would nt hav happened. Secondly the words of GEJ to handover the cabals to EFCC and fight corruption in the oil n gas sector would'nt have come out. I think we should live not as cowards, either opposition took it over or not we are all nigerians and must be able to fight for our rights. Good decision, great results.
God bless naija
Re: Labour Calls Off Strike! by plaetton: 6:47pm On Jan 16, 2012
dmainboss:

I said it from day one that labor were going to shoot themselves in the foot. They have showed great inexperience in the handling of this crisis. This is where you have to duff your hat for Oshiomole. Having been a part of many protest myself even from my school days, I knew they had made some very major blunders with their approach. Their blunders left a lot of loopholes in the strike and boxed themselves to a corner. Some of their mistakes were:

1. You never ever take an extreme stand in a government labor dispute. You can take a hard stand, but you must always leave room for negotiations. Labor from day one allowed the sentiments of some clueless NGOs to influence them and took an extreme stance. They said they would never go back to the negotiating table until the government announces a reversal. No government will ever succumb to that. That is at best completely st.u.p.i.d and will always backfire. Labor is employed by government not by NGOs. It is like the fight between a husband and wife. Any third party that comes in between will eventually get the stick. In this case, labor became the unfaithful wife that decided to bring in an outsider to intimidate her husband. Foolish move!

2. When you do 1 above, you put yourself on the back-foot when you eventually come to the table. Also 1 above made the negotiations to start very late. At this time, the FG had gathered enough feedback and security reports to plan better and call the shots.

3. They allowed opposition politicians to take over the protest. Now before some of you defend that, consider this. There is a big difference between a mas action called by opposition groups and industrial strike by labor. They both have different rules and different outlooks. On top of that, there was no unanimous opposition support because the opposition actually supported the removal but only kept mute because they didnt want to offend the people. This created a real loophole. The opposition did not have the full moral power to protest. some say it is within the rights of politicians to hijack such protest. Well I completely disagree in a multi political state like Nigeria. There is a complete distrust amongst the various sections of Nigeria. So any protest can easily transform into a clamor for power shift. That is the reality of the day. And that was what people like Bakare brought to the table. The problem with that is that, those who seek power shift cannot seek it through mass action except they have the total support of the country. Unlike Libya and Egypt, they dont have that total support.

4. This one is interesting. They didnt consider a very subtle but key loophole. They didnt consider the fact that, though they were fighting a "good" cause on behalf of the masses, the corrupt oil dealers where as much beneficiaries of the strike as the masses. This was a big irony. I saw that loophole from day one and expected labor to find a way to maneuver themselves out of that but they didnt. That situation brought a moral question to the protest. Yes the loud voices of the mob tried hard to shut that down, but it was never going to go away. It was always going to be a recurring decimal in the whole saga. It also created a big moral problem for the labor leaders. There was always going to be the suspicion they were being sponsored. There was always going to be the issues that a return to N65 was a return to a cabal controlled Nigeria.

These are just my thoughts. I think that labor showed a lot of inexperience in the handling of this strike. I dont think they were bribed by government. People are too quick to say negative things because they have never worked in government circles. The situation on the ground didnt need government to bribe anyone. There are people whose job it is to do these kind of negotiations and believe me, they are good at it. they are what you might call evil geniuses. They know how to exploit all these loopholes I have stated. Some where too quick to say GEJ was not on top of the situation. But the silence for 4 days by the government shows he was on the driving seat all along. The ignorance of many here on NL is that GEJ actually works as one man. He never works as one man. He works as a team. There are people paid to handle crisis and they are well funded to research and act. Their reports give government the tools to navigate these waters. They get it wrong sometimes, but they always know how to regroup and restrategize.
excellent write up. Closer to my viewpoint. The Nigerian people are to be commended for giving a good fight. Unfortunately, they fought for the wrong team. That is the sad irony.
For a true revolution, we have to know who the real enemies are.there are tfar too many issues that Nigerians should be revolting against right now, and not waste precious and rare revolutionary spirit protesting the removal of subsidy on an internationally market-driven consumer commodity.
Re: Labour Calls Off Strike! by pacharles1(m): 7:02pm On Jan 16, 2012
NLC, , upon all ur gra gra, u FAILED
Re: Labour Calls Off Strike! by millionbuc(m): 7:03pm On Jan 16, 2012
Labour Leaders receive vote of no confidence from Nigerians,

Details here,

http://5slate..com/2012/01/nlc-tuc-leaders-receive-vote-of-no.html#axzz1jSqGs1Ow
Re: Labour Calls Off Strike! by millionbuc(m): 7:08pm On Jan 16, 2012
Nigerian civil society openion leaders pass vote of no confidence on NLC/ TUC

See details here,

http://5slate..com/2012/01/nlc-tuc-leaders-receive-vote-of-no.html#axzz1jSqGs1Ow
Re: Labour Calls Off Strike! by http(m): 7:17pm On Jan 16, 2012
Nigerian loose again angry cry cry
Re: Labour Calls Off Strike! by manmustwac(m): 7:47pm On Jan 16, 2012
Will Nigeria ever progress now that we have lost this great opportunity?
Re: Labour Calls Off Strike! by blackcypha(m): 8:50pm On Jan 16, 2012
This country can neva trust labour again!
Nigeria is apathetic country with pitiful corrupt leaders.
So they eventually sold out?
I heard the bribe was like 4billion shocked shocked
Re: Labour Calls Off Strike! by MeAboki(m): 9:04pm On Jan 16, 2012
Kano State NLC branch defying the national HQ, it is advising workers to stay at home and calling for ongoing peaceful demonstration to continue - BBC hausa 8:30pm news. Hope other state branches and civil society groups follow suit.
Re: Labour Calls Off Strike! by Switup: 9:10pm On Jan 16, 2012
D strike has been called off and ona dey dia dey yan
Abegi sombdy follow me scream hip hip hip

hurrrrrrraaaaaaayyyyyy!!!8-)
(singing)cheerz drink to that ye-i-ye-i-ye ail ma frndz inda club put ur hands in d air saying ye-i-ye(extract frm Rihana's cheers drink to dat)
Re: Labour Calls Off Strike! by ishadosi: 10:05pm On Jan 16, 2012
we need an Arab spring styled revolution.
Re: Labour Calls Off Strike! by gaburiel(m): 10:11pm On Jan 16, 2012
I just hope by the end of this year or next, they won't tell us they still used 1.3t to subsidize fuel
Re: Labour Calls Off Strike! by Adanora: 11:06pm On Jan 16, 2012
NLC suspends strike, so all u lazy asses that have been praying 4 more days of conflict, "GET YOUR ASSES BACK TO WORK"!!!>:0
Re: Labour Calls Off Strike! by 4xstore: 4:40am On Jan 17, 2012
OK!But when are we going to get things right?The transport hike,would they return back to old rate or slats the price?we shall be waiting.

However,all this point to the fact that we Nigeria should shine our eyes.NLC and TUC are not good representative of our plight.You will notice that once they out of the post,they are already billionaire .who can we look up to?

All is well with us in Nigeria!Sure banker.
Re: Labour Calls Off Strike! by azyaq(m): 8:13am On Jan 17, 2012
them don collet money, oleeeeee
Re: Labour Calls Off Strike! by Ninapha(f): 8:39am On Jan 17, 2012
4xstore:

OK!But when are we going to get things right?The transport hike,would they return back to old rate or slats the price?we shall be waiting.

However,all this point to the fact that we Nigeria should shine our eyes.NLC and TUC are not good representative of our plight.You will notice that once they out of the post,they are already billionaire .who can we look up to?

All is well with us in Nigeria!Sure banker.

LOOK UP TO GOOD IDEAS, GOOD POLICIES AND SUPPORT THEM THAT WAY, NIGERIA WOULD BE BETTER AND WE MAY NOT NEED NLC/TUC TO HALT ACTIVITIES IN NIGERIA
Re: Labour Calls Off Strike! by francis247(m): 8:45am On Jan 17, 2012
som say na cabals bribe NLC to embark on d strike, som say na govt. threats make them call off d strike, others say Ghana must go don exchange hands; any how sha, we are back 2 suffering and smiling as FG, NLC nd d cabals don win d match by 5-0 while d so called gutless masses as usual continue to loose.
Re: Labour Calls Off Strike! by blackcypha(m): 11:32am On Jan 17, 2012
wat a drag!

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Military Killed Innocent Women And Children - NDA / Governor Ugwuanyi At Ex-governor Chime's Daughter Traditional Marriage / Dualization Of Lokoja - Benin Road, Section II: Okene - Auchi, Edo State (Pics)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.