Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,790 members, 7,802,488 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 03:23 PM

Chevron Report That An Oil Rig Caught Fire Near Niger Delta - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Chevron Report That An Oil Rig Caught Fire Near Niger Delta (13047 Views)

Nigerian Twitter Users Call Out Ambode Over Report That Fashola Spent N139m On / Fire Near Alausa Central Mosque / KPMG Report That FG And NNPC Hid From Nigerians (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Chevron Report That An Oil Rig Caught Fire Near Niger Delta by Vavavoom(m): 7:14pm On Jan 16, 2012
please refrain from commenting when not in the know, the rig in question is the KS ENDEAVOR owned by AOS (Atlantic Oilfield Services). It was at max capacity, still burning and going down. As i write two persons were unaccounted for and for the OIM and a driller on tour. I know this because I left the rig on sunday afternoon and left behind handworking men who went in search of a honest means of livelihood. Hardworking men sweating to keep the cars/planes/ships running. Hardworking men toiling to give most who comment the good life that we take for granted. As I key I can still picture the faces of both men stil missing, the driller that Sunday morning I was over on the other side in the mess while we had breakfast, just across my seat, opposite me, and to think that he may have died during the possible gas blowout is, I can only hope and pray for their families. Please lets refrain cos we never know who might be reading our comments.
Re: Chevron Report That An Oil Rig Caught Fire Near Niger Delta by Shinor(m): 7:19pm On Jan 16, 2012
@Vavavoom Thanks.
Glad to know you are safe. May God be with the two guys still unaccounted for.
A lot of kids come here and open their gob to spew out thrash all in the name of posting online.
I feel your sadness at this time.

Stay strong.
Re: Chevron Report That An Oil Rig Caught Fire Near Niger Delta by DerMeister: 7:20pm On Jan 16, 2012
This is why I don't come here often, most people have no idea of what's being discussed and post meaningless, m-oro-nic comments. The rig was drilling an exploratory well and took a gas kick, this led to a blow-out and the explosion/flames.

This is due to errors on the Operator's part (chevron).

Any idiot who doesn't know about the issues at stake should stay away and stop posting s h i. tty. comments

f*£kin re.ta.rds,
Re: Chevron Report That An Oil Rig Caught Fire Near Niger Delta by Remii(m): 7:28pm On Jan 16, 2012
rig on fire

Re: Chevron Report That An Oil Rig Caught Fire Near Niger Delta by jacobs123(m): 7:42pm On Jan 16, 2012
DerMeister:

This is why I don't come here often, most people have no idea of what's being discussed and post meaningless, m-oro-nic comments. The rig was drilling an exploratory well and took a gas kick, this led to a blow-out and the explosion/flames.

This is due to errors on the Operator's part (chevron).

Any  who doesn't know about the issues at stake should stay away and stop posting s h i. tty. comments

f*£kin re.ta.rds,

and how do you know this for sure? Your comment in red font above applies to you too.
Re: Chevron Report That An Oil Rig Caught Fire Near Niger Delta by Vavavoom(m): 7:57pm On Jan 16, 2012
jacobs123:

and how do you know this for sure? Your comment in red font above applies to you too.

Jacob123, Dermeister is spot on in his assessment. The well in question is Funiwa Deep-1A drilled on OML 86 as exploratory. While I wouldn't want to hinge all the blame on Chevron, they could have done more to forestall the suituation. Investigation will go on in the coming weeks and I hope lessons learnt will be implemented and not cast aside. We had Macoondo in APril of 2010, just 3 months shy of 2 years we have Funiwa only fewer casualties. A lot happened on the well -safety-to-operating cost assessment will help nip such catastrophe in the bud. I hope everyone involvedwill come clean.
Re: Chevron Report That An Oil Rig Caught Fire Near Niger Delta by okito: 8:07pm On Jan 16, 2012
My heart goes out to those involved in this blow out. Good we have in house people who have some information about the incidence and have helped to educate the ignorant ones. One hopes that in the coming days, we can have someone with the details give us an insight into what led to the blow out so that other people in the oil and gas industry can learn from it. People should accord offshore workers due respect as everything about the job is highly risky including chopper flights to and fro location, not to talk of the operational risks either on the rig or production platforms. However good the money may seem, it is nothing compared to the associated risk. I had my heart in my mouth the last time I flew from the rig to NAF base because the chopper developed a mechanical fault mid way into the flight however God saved us from a crash. This is what all others in the industry endure to maintain the country's oil producing status. May God continue to protect us all.
Re: Chevron Report That An Oil Rig Caught Fire Near Niger Delta by jacobs123(m): 8:08pm On Jan 16, 2012
Vavavoom:

Jacob123, Dermeister is spot on in his assessment. The well in question is Funiwa Deep-1A drilled on OML 86 as exploratory. While I wouldn't want to hinge all the blame on Chevron, they could have done more to forestall the suituation. Investigation will go on in the coming weeks and I hope lessons learnt will be implemented and not cast aside. We had Macoondo in APril of 2010, just 3 months shy of 2 years we have Funiwa only fewer casualties. A lot happened on the well -safety-to-operating cost assessment will help nip such catastrophe in the bud. I hope everyone involvedwill come clean.

while it's obvious that you know for sure what you are saying, I wonder if social media is the best place to discuss some of the info you are passing out here. Do you know that caution that needs to be applied in these kind of situations?
Re: Chevron Report That An Oil Rig Caught Fire Near Niger Delta by TheOne2(m): 8:13pm On Jan 16, 2012
@vavavoom

Though I give it to you that you just got off the rig, I dare say that unless you can mention what the operators faults were that caused the incident, then @Dermeister's submissionwhich you seem to be supporting is specious. Without a comprehensice root-cause analysis, you cannot come to that conclusion.

Let's be careful as industry professionals about throwing unsubstantiated insinuations about.
Re: Chevron Report That An Oil Rig Caught Fire Near Niger Delta by DerMeister: 8:16pm On Jan 16, 2012
Vavavoom:

that jacob123 is one of the characters i'm talkin bout, come here spouting crap!! if you don't have anything to say stay d f*£k away! a.s.s wipe!!
Re: Chevron Report That An Oil Rig Caught Fire Near Niger Delta by DerMeister: 8:20pm On Jan 16, 2012
The One:

@vavavoom

Though I give it to you that you just got off the rig, I dare say that unless you can mention what the operators faults were that caused the incident, then @Dermeister's submissionwhich you seem to be supporting is specious. Without a comprehensice root-cause analysis, you cannot come to that conclusion.

Let's be careful as industry professionals about throwing unsubstantiated insinuations about.

Chevron is the operator and is responsible for whatever happens on that rig! They have the final say on all ops on the rig and will be held responsible for what happened. Chevron had an incident recently in brazil that resulted in an oil spill, the brazilian govt has sanctioned them and banned them,
Re: Chevron Report That An Oil Rig Caught Fire Near Niger Delta by TheOne2(m): 8:28pm On Jan 16, 2012
You will agree with me that "causing" something is very different from "being responsible" for it. Again, I'll say we shouldn't use words carelessly
Re: Chevron Report That An Oil Rig Caught Fire Near Niger Delta by DerMeister: 8:34pm On Jan 16, 2012
I'll concede that, but in most cases these things occur due to operator errors or negligence,
Re: Chevron Report That An Oil Rig Caught Fire Near Niger Delta by lapazarian: 8:49pm On Jan 16, 2012
Not funny people.

Remii, I read on the news that it was a gas kick on an exploratory well, it probably wasnt handled well.
Any details on why it couldn't be contained? How do they intend to stop the fire?
Re: Chevron Report That An Oil Rig Caught Fire Near Niger Delta by identified(m): 9:52pm On Jan 16, 2012
im glad i got informed ppl to comment about this. we shouldnt be quick to lay blames on nairaland. anything happens,we blame GEJ,militants or boko h. this was just an unfortunate accident probably a kick. kudos to chevron for the way the news was handled. they didnt rush to break the news until in the afternoon. imagine wat ppl wud have insinuated wit the fuel subsidy tensions this morning, btw the said rig is located in a mostly gas condensate field, right?
Re: Chevron Report That An Oil Rig Caught Fire Near Niger Delta by azyaq(m): 10:35pm On Jan 16, 2012
@ liaslo dont mind those thief jare. But sha life goes on
Re: Chevron Report That An Oil Rig Caught Fire Near Niger Delta by erico2k2(m): 10:51pm On Jan 16, 2012
Now those who aint got a clue had stayed away, nice one those of you who brought in the genuine news,i wish Kids would stay off maters like this.
Re: Chevron Report That An Oil Rig Caught Fire Near Niger Delta by Vavavoom(m): 12:15am On Jan 17, 2012
The One:

@vavavoom

There's enough blame to go round The One - from drilling contractor to operator to hired & owned equipment plus personnel on the job. I could build my own theory based on while-I-was-there experience and it won't be far from that carried out by an unbaised investigator but in all the buck stops with Chevron as overall supervisor to make informed judgement based on feedback got from service personnel and drilling contractor in line with acceptable drilling practices as spelt out by Chevron prior to job commencement.  The Blow out didn't just happen. It occured in series as unscheduled events culminating in the fatal disaster at the end, there were pointers but as with humans we carry on thinking we can get through before suituations get out of hand.  

Here's a cue, an installed BOP is about one of the last lines and most effective means deployed to combat fluid kick. From what we know it didn't shut out the fatal kick. The question is why? Failure to deploy in time because of human error( panic station) from ground feed. It is the most reason why the OIM didn't make it out alive from sources on ground. He raced to the other side when human instinct prevailed otherwise, seeing from his office opposite the rig floor I can picture him blaring out the abandon vessel signal for others to escape while he raced down to try and halt the almost out of control event. I could picture the overwhelmed driller, the fear evident on his face, such hoplessness. Such frailty. On the brink of life and death is such tiny margin of separation. I did share brief moments with both men - worthy men I would say. But the error didnt start with the BOP, it started after we took the first mild kick. Basic instinct kicked in. Control the well first, off course  with every kick nobody had an inkling of how big it would get, but when the BHT( bottom hole temperature) started rising, a phase change was on the way, pump seals began melting, pumps went offline and came back on, all the while gas seppages building while men toiled for days in guise of primary well control. Mud weights was reviewed and weighed in between. But intermittent failures of the pumps was the cue for departure that wasn't heralded. The primary line of defence was gone, and while men dreamt in their sleep few were to wake to an accustomed sound of abandon ship. The heroes stayed just one last time to save their Endeavor but their fate was sealed and time stopped for them.  Tonight I go to sleep with their faces in my dream. Beautiful men I hope to work with in the afterlife.
Re: Chevron Report That An Oil Rig Caught Fire Near Niger Delta by TheOne2(m): 12:49am On Jan 17, 2012
@vavavoom

I perfectly understand you. However, this is not the place for the in-depth discussions. I'm sure we'll all see the RCA report when the time comes and will disect everything at the appropriate fora. I have intimate knowledge of the whole issue right from even the contracting of the rig to the P&A on the first hole then to this. Let's just do this using the right channels.
Re: Chevron Report That An Oil Rig Caught Fire Near Niger Delta by Beaf: 12:52am On Jan 17, 2012
okito:

My heart goes out to those involved in this blow out. Good we have in house people who have some information about the incidence and have helped to educate the ignorant ones. One hopes that in the coming days, we can have someone with the details give us an insight into what led to the blow out so that other people in the oil and gas industry can learn from it. People should accord offshore workers due respect as everything about the job is highly risky including chopper flights to and fro location, not to talk of the operational risks either on the rig or production platforms. However good the money may seem, it is nothing compared to the associated risk. I had my heart in my mouth the last time I flew from the rig to NAF base because the chopper developed a mechanical fault mid way into the flight however God saved us from a crash. This is what all others in the industry endure to maintain the country's oil producing status. May God continue to protect us all.

God Bless all of you and keep you safe. We can only hope and pray that there were no casualties in the current accident.
It is a tough job you do and it should be respected.
Re: Chevron Report That An Oil Rig Caught Fire Near Niger Delta by samguru(m): 1:09am On Jan 17, 2012
The cry of the powerless masses has got to the throne of Almighty God,this ȋ̝̊̅§ the begining,expect more bad things to happen to the cabals who A̶̲̥̅̊я̣̣̥ε̲̣̣̣̥ subjecting us to suffering of this magnitude
Re: Chevron Report That An Oil Rig Caught Fire Near Niger Delta by KayDee4: 1:42am On Jan 17, 2012
samguru:

The cry of the powerless masses has got to the throne of Almighty God,this ȋ̝̊̅§ the begining,expect more bad things to happen to the cabals who A̶̲̥̅̊я̣̣̥ε̲̣̣̣̥ subjecting us to suffering of this magnitude

Think, Think, Think and Think again before you type thrash.  angry angry angry

Do the cabals work on offshore oil rigs ?

Explorationists and drilling engineers have nothing to do with oil importation and pricing. You're here rejoicing over an accident that happened to innocent people.
Re: Chevron Report That An Oil Rig Caught Fire Near Niger Delta by jodeci(m): 2:18am On Jan 17, 2012
samguru:

Your inability to read and understand is even seeping through the internet.It is better to shut up than to foolish.
Re: Chevron Report That An Oil Rig Caught Fire Near Niger Delta by surveycash(m): 4:05am On Jan 17, 2012
@Remi,

156 POB, on a single wellhead? Pls expatiate.
Re: Chevron Report That An Oil Rig Caught Fire Near Niger Delta by efisher(m): 6:39am On Jan 17, 2012
It's obvious a lot of people have no idea what a rig is. That's why they come in here to rejoice at this catastrophic event. Pathetic!
Re: Chevron Report That An Oil Rig Caught Fire Near Niger Delta by PA1982(f): 7:59am On Jan 17, 2012
Vavavoom wrote:
, the rig in question is the KS ENDEAVOR owned by AOS (Atlantic Oilfield Services). It was at max capacity, still burning and going down. As i write two persons were unaccounted for and for the OIM and a driller on tour. I know this because I left the rig on sunday afternoon and left behind handworking men who went in search of a honest means of livelihood. Hardworking men sweating to keep the cars/planes/ships running. Hardworking men toiling to give most who comment the good life that we take for granted. As I key I can still picture the faces of both men stil missing, the driller that Sunday morning I was over on the other side in the mess while we had breakfast, just across my seat, opposite me, and to think that he may have died during the possible gas blowout is, I can only hope and pray for their families. Please lets refrain cos we never know who might be reading our comments.

Any up-dates on this situation?
Re: Chevron Report That An Oil Rig Caught Fire Near Niger Delta by Shinatu: 8:45am On Jan 17, 2012
Vavavoom:

There's enough blame to go round The One - from drilling contractor to operator to hired & owned equipment plus personnel on the job. I could build my own theory based on while-I-was-there experience and it won't be far from that carried out by an unbaised investigator but in all the buck stops with Chevron as overall supervisor to make informed judgement based on feedback got from service personnel and drilling contractor in line with acceptable drilling practices as spelt out by Chevron prior to job commencement.  The Blow out didn't just happen. It occured in series as unscheduled events culminating in the fatal disaster at the end, there were pointers but as with humans we carry on thinking we can get through before suituations get out of hand.  

Here's a cue, an installed BOP is about one of the last lines and most effective means deployed to combat fluid kick. From what we know it didn't shut out the fatal kick. The question is why? Failure to deploy in time because of human error( panic station) from ground feed. It is the most reason why the OIM didn't make it out alive from sources on ground. He raced to the other side when human instinct prevailed otherwise, seeing from his office opposite the rig floor I can picture him blaring out the abandon vessel signal for others to escape while he raced down to try and halt the almost out of control event. I could picture the overwhelmed driller, the fear evident on his face, such hoplessness. Such frailty. On the brink of life and death is such tiny margin of separation. I did share brief moments with both men - worthy men I would say. But the error didnt start with the BOP, it started after we took the first mild kick. Basic instinct kicked in. Control the well first, off course  with every kick nobody had an inkling of how big it would get, but when the BHT( bottom hole temperature) started rising, a phase change was on the way, pump seals began melting, pumps went offline and came back on, all the while gas seppages building while men toiled for days in guise of primary well control. Mud weights was reviewed and weighed in between. But intermittent failures of the pumps was the cue for departure that wasn't heralded. The primary line of defence was gone, and while men dreamt in their sleep few were to wake to an accustomed sound of abandon ship. The heroes stayed just one last time to save their Endeavor but their fate was sealed and time stopped for them.  Tonight I go to sleep with their faces in my dream. Beautiful men I hope to wor
k with in the afterlife.

This is enough recipe for a disaster! on a gas accumulation for that matter.
Pele, may the Lord comfort the families of the departed
Re: Chevron Report That An Oil Rig Caught Fire Near Niger Delta by Vavavoom(m): 11:24am On Jan 17, 2012
Vavavoom:

The One link=topic=847320.msg9979632#msg9979632 date=1326741210:

@vavavoom

Though I give it to you that you just got off the rig, I dare say that unless you can mention what the operators faults were that caused the inciden[/b]t, then @Dermeister's submissionwhich you seem to be supporting is specious. Without a comprehensice root-cause analysis, you cannot come to that conclusion.

The One:

@vavavoom

I perfectly understand you. However, [b]this is not the place for the in-depth discussions
. I'm sure we'll all see the RCA report when the time comes and will disect everything at the appropriate fora. I have intimate knowledge of the whole issue right from even the contracting of the rig to the P&A on the first hole then to this. Let's just  do this using the right channels.

What then was your bluff about mentioning operator's fault when in your thinking the forum wasn't right? I can only hope the RCA doesn't go the Macondo way as espoused by ''integrity'' BP. And while your claim to know about the whole shebang makes you an insider, anyone with ears to the ground in this industry knows that operating cost tends to sway bias in times of critical decision making. This is what we would like to see in Chevron's RCA, maybe an insider you just might help pass this concern. No hard feelings bro.
Re: Chevron Report That An Oil Rig Caught Fire Near Niger Delta by Lawalemi(m): 1:20pm On Jan 17, 2012
I once visited this facility
Re: Chevron Report That An Oil Rig Caught Fire Near Niger Delta by cretin: 4:22pm On Jan 17, 2012
awww, this is indeed is a sad incident, our prayers should go out to the families of the dead workers, and please all non oilworkers/uniformed shud pls stop making unitelligent replies, out of respect for the dead/their families if for nothing else
Re: Chevron Report That An Oil Rig Caught Fire Near Niger Delta by identified(m): 4:33pm On Jan 17, 2012
Pls house who knows the exact location of OML 86. I've been searching for a higher resolution map of Nigeria's concessions and licenses all day.
Re: Chevron Report That An Oil Rig Caught Fire Near Niger Delta by 77ken: 4:44pm On Jan 17, 2012
People just lost friends, husbands, colleagues wives n sisters possibly while earning a honest living and some people are here rejoicing, nairaland use to be a place for people to interact constructively but these days racists, tribalist and damn right ignorant people have taken over the threads and they keep getting front page placement. I am seriously considering quitting this forum altogether.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Nobody Paid For Our Private Jet- Senate Committee / Atiku: Wrong Computation Of Election Results In 11 States Caused My Defeat / Lagos State Begins Reconstruction Of Adeniji Adele Road

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.