Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,035 members, 7,807,096 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 09:28 AM

Mothers I Need Ur Advice - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Mothers I Need Ur Advice (39319 Views)

To The Mothers,I need help o. / Dear Mothers, I Need Your Help / I Urgently Need Ur Advice On My Husband And His Ex-girlfriend (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Mothers I Need Ur Advice by tessybaby(f): 4:06pm On Jan 16, 2012
My 17 months old daughter has a very sensitive skin and is always having skin rashes
on her body. We have seen different pediatricians and dermatologists to no avail.
her pediatrician says she is highly allergic while the dermatologist says she has dry skin.
I have used several treatments but it would go and still resurface some months/weeks later
right now i use TOPICREME as her body oil to moisturize her body

i will like you girls to give me tips in managing this situation and a very good moisturizer or soap to keep
her skin from getting dry and maintaining her skin colour (she is fair in complexion) am getiing really worried
coz i don't want her to grow up having spots all over her body.

As concerned hygiene, she is well taken care of.
Re: Mothers I Need Ur Advice by coogar: 4:09pm On Jan 16, 2012
tessybaby:

My 17 months old daughter has a very sensitive skin and is always having skin rashes
on her body. We have seen different pediatricians and dermatologists to no avail.
her pediatrician says she is highly allergic while the dermatologist says she has dry skin.
I have used several treatments but it would go and still resurface some months/weeks later
right now i use TOPICREME as her body oil to moisturize her body

i will like you girls to give me tips in managing this situation and a very good moisturizer or soap to keep
her skin from getting dry and maintaining her skin colour (she is fair in complexion) am getiing really worried
coz i don't want her to grow up having spots all over her body.

As concerned hygiene, she is well taken care of.

where are you based?
if it's nigeria then having constant light to power your a/c is the first step.
Re: Mothers I Need Ur Advice by Nobody: 4:17pm On Jan 16, 2012
My Son had the same issue, he had a lot of alergies and I have been told he is likely to develop Asthma in future. At 6 months i started using tetomosal to bath him and d rashes cleared, but i was very careful when washing the face, at first he cried but soon he was use to it. I still use tetomosal to bath him and i have not witnessed any rash again except when he eats something he reacts to or when someone mistakenly baths him with another soap. Anyway what wworked for me may not work for you, I have asthma too and react to so many things too, You just have to be vigilant at what your child reacts to and he or she will be fine dear.
Please dont fret too much.

1 Like

Re: Mothers I Need Ur Advice by tessybaby(f): 4:32pm On Jan 16, 2012
@ coogar
tanx but her problem is not heat

@debrief
tanx alot for the advice
where can i find tetomosal? pharmacy?
i have tried controlling what she eats to see what she is alergic to
but no good results.
Re: Mothers I Need Ur Advice by Nobody: 4:41pm On Jan 16, 2012
tessybaby:

@ coogar
tanx but her problem is not heat

@debrief
tanx alot for the advice
where can i find tetomosal? pharmacy?
i have tried controlling what she eats to see what she is alergic to
but no good results.
Its sold everywhere, Phamarcies and shops, cost about 150 the last time i bought it. She is still too young for you to know her alergies when she is older you will notice it better. She may cry for the first few days cos its a bit pepperish but hopefully its effective and she will get use to it, u have to be very careful with her face cos it stings.
Try it for a week and see, and as i said earlier try to worry less, a lot of kids have alergies but they turn out fine. My son is alergic to beans, eggs, fatty foods etc, it took a while for me to discover all dis and am still discovering much more, but he is a strong healthy boy
Re: Mothers I Need Ur Advice by ifyalways(f): 5:39pm On Jan 16, 2012
Tetmosol for kids?I thought that soap is way tooo strong for kids,I dare not even use it,my skin would all peel off cos its too hot.But then,you can't tell till you try.

@OP,what really are u worried of now?The dry skin or appearance of spots or both?
Anyhoo,have u tried bathing her with a mild soap like pears,use the normal baby lotion,nycil powder ONLY for sometime?
Say no to harsh products,beware of hydroquinone and harmful chemicals.

1 Like

Re: Mothers I Need Ur Advice by agiboma(f): 7:14pm On Jan 16, 2012
try aveno lotion its great for moisturizing smiley

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Mothers I Need Ur Advice by moremi2008(m): 9:46pm On Jan 16, 2012
Use plain vaseline. Nobody reacts to vaseline.

1 Like

Re: Mothers I Need Ur Advice by Nobody: 12:16am On Jan 17, 2012
Use aveeno moisturizer works like magic
Re: Mothers I Need Ur Advice by malaika(f): 8:26am On Jan 17, 2012
:/
Re: Mothers I Need Ur Advice by Nobody: 9:32am On Jan 17, 2012
ifyalways:

Tetmosol for kids?I thought that soap is way tooo strong for kids,I dare not even use it,my skin would all peel off cos its too hot.But then,you can't tell till you try.

@OP,what really are u worried of now?The dry skin or appearance of spots or both?
Anyhoo,have u tried bathing her with a mild soap like pears,use the normal baby lotion,nycil powder ONLY for sometime?
Say no to harsh products,beware of hydroquinone and harmful chemicals.
I thought so too oh, but it worked for my son, he use to have lots of rashes, my former maid recommended it at first i wrote her off when i had tried every other thing we tried tetomasol and it has worked for him till today.
Re: Mothers I Need Ur Advice by tessybaby(f): 9:40am On Jan 17, 2012
@ ify
my problem is the dry skin, constant appearance of rashes and the dark spots
i presently use a baby lotion but it looks like it's not helping her

@agiboma and jenny
aveeno moisturizer? is there a special one for kids or do i just buy any aveeno moisturizer

@ malaika
never heard of aqueous soap
i will ask our pharmacist friend

tanx all for the tips
Re: Mothers I Need Ur Advice by tessybaby(f): 9:43am On Jan 17, 2012
@ debreif
my main concern about tetmosol is dat since she's female
the harsh substance in the soap might affect her va.gyna
u know what i mean
Re: Mothers I Need Ur Advice by Nobody: 10:00am On Jan 17, 2012
There is a special one for kids. Baby aveeno. They've got the ones for adults as well.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Mothers I Need Ur Advice by tessybaby(f): 10:26am On Jan 17, 2012
tanx Jenny
i'll go to the cosmetic shop and get one today
be rest assured i'll be back to show my appreciations
if it works well on her wink
Re: Mothers I Need Ur Advice by Nobody: 10:43am On Jan 17, 2012
No worries mate
Re: Mothers I Need Ur Advice by blank(f): 11:46am On Jan 17, 2012
Is the baby aveeno for the rashes or the dry skin? My baby has extra dry skin like me. I use vaseline but it does not stay moisturized for long. Was wondering if i can use it as well.
Re: Mothers I Need Ur Advice by modeM: 1:05pm On Jan 17, 2012
Oilatium works wonders for me, tried Aveeno and many brands of aqueous cream but they all didnt work, I even tried the local sheabutter and coconut oil all on the advice of elderly ones but it all didnt work till the Docs recommended Oilatium.

1 Like

Re: Mothers I Need Ur Advice by tessybaby(f): 2:42pm On Jan 17, 2012
@ modeM
what is oilatium and where can it be found?
Re: Mothers I Need Ur Advice by modeM: 3:33pm On Jan 17, 2012
Oilatium is a bath additive and cream that can be bought off counter in UK pharmacies, if you are in Nig, I am sure you can get family or friends coming home to get it for you.
tessybaby:

@ modeM
what is oilatium and where can it be found?
Re: Mothers I Need Ur Advice by jaybee3(m): 3:35pm On Jan 17, 2012
Oilatium is all you need
Re: Mothers I Need Ur Advice by Nobody: 3:49pm On Jan 17, 2012
Re: Mothers I Need Ur Advice by SisiKill1: 5:39pm On Jan 17, 2012
Tried to post this yesterday but the spambot banned me so fast, you will think me and it fought before.

My baby niece used to break out like that too. It seemed like she was allergic to everything. Her doctor recommended Hydrocortisone Ointment and it cleared those rashes up in no time. I'm not sure how available it would be in Naija but it wouldn't hurt to ask around.

Please don't mistake Hydrocortisone with Hydroconwhachumacallit, the bleaching cream I mean.

Here's a link to read more about it. . .
http://www.rxlist.com/hydrocortisone-drug.htm

[img]http://drugster.info/img/drug/11479_11561_1.jpg[/img]

There's also an Aveeno Hydrocortisone Cream. . .I think this one is mild though, if your son's rash are anything like my niece's I suggest going with the first.

[img]http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRcHZhjtUsDy-iaN2B6FNLsQWY9DmR6INn0W36bLemNR3bhr8ifVkGF7fDYeA[/img]

There's also Cortaid. . .never tried this but I've heard it works
Re: Mothers I Need Ur Advice by tessybaby(f): 3:28pm On Jan 18, 2012
I can't thank you girls enuf.

@chaircover
did u use all those at once?

@ sisi- kill
do you mean she has never had those rashes again after using that cream.
was the cream used and stopped after some time or continued for a long time?

1 Like

Re: Mothers I Need Ur Advice by modele2: 4:24pm On Jan 18, 2012
My little girl was reacting to johnsons baby range. That range is made in everywhere in the world so their quality control has comma. So if u use it, i suggest u pause.
If its dry skin use E-45, sheabutter or coconut oil. Doh
Re: Mothers I Need Ur Advice by blank(f): 4:59pm On Jan 18, 2012
^^^^^

Are those things gentle enough for a baby?
Re: Mothers I Need Ur Advice by Nobody: 7:25am On Jan 19, 2012
Re: Mothers I Need Ur Advice by armyofone(m): 9:46am On Jan 19, 2012
I have a small chip in here. worked in the hosp so hopefully my little chip in helps.
hydrocotisone should be use with doctors prescription only. the med has chemical that may leave marks on your baby skin if use for long period of time. I have seen babies with such result from hydrocotisone in the pediatrics. unless her pediatrician prescribes it, pls stay away from buying and using it yourself.

get Cetaphil. hopefully they have it in nig. if they have KFC, why not wink it's the best of the best. those rash may possibly be baby eczema and cetaphil is superb and doctor's favorite when it comes to baby eczema/rash. corti something are good but ONLY with doc prescription telling you how to use/limited use like ''use for 1week and then stop''.

I now use Cetaphil for my overly sensitive skin. good for baby eczema which shows itself as dry rash in babies, allergen, dry skin and itchy dry skin etc.

You can try Jenny's Aveeno for babies. make sure it is fragrance free. mosturize frequently and richly.

1 Like

Re: Mothers I Need Ur Advice by agiboma(f): 11:45am On Jan 19, 2012
tessybaby:

@ ify
my problem is the dry skin, constant appearance of rashes and the dark spots
i presently use a baby lotion but it looks like it's not helping her

@agiboma and jenny
aveeno moisturizer? is there a special one for kids or do i just buy any aveeno moisturizer

@ malaika
never heard of aqueous soap
i will ask our pharmacist friend

tanx all for the tips

I buy my son Baby Aveeno, it works very well.
Re: Mothers I Need Ur Advice by tessybaby(f): 3:06pm On Jan 19, 2012
@modele2
i didn't quite understand you

thanx armyofone, i hope i would find Cetaphil
Re: Mothers I Need Ur Advice by Nobody: 1:04am On Jan 20, 2012
It sounds like your child has atopic dermatitis (other name for it is eczema). It is an allergic disease that leads to very dry skin.

There have been a lot of good suggestions here but I want you to know that you can use hydrocortisone without a doctor’s prescription. The 1% hydrocortisone is an extremely mild steroid. Much stronger ones can even be used if needed. You can use it twice a day for no more than 2 weeks at a time. Avoid it getting in the eyes, mouth etc. There will be no significant side effect if you use it like this.

Other things you can do:
-Try to switch to hypoallergenic soaps/detergents. Mild/fragrance free products are good.
-FREQUENT moisturization is very important. Aveeno, cetaphil, eucerin, aquaphor, vanicream are very good creams/lotions. Use generously, use often, whenever the skin is dry. When the skin is dry, it can be itchy, the scratching leads to worsening of the rashes so avoid it being dry.
-After a bath, don’t wipe off all the water, gently pat dry and leave some water on her skin and put the cream/lotion over it. This retains maximum moisture to the skin.
-Adjust your expectations, This is a chronic condition and there is nothing anyone can do to change that. It gets better and gets worse at times (flare ups). There is no magic cure unless you can find exactly what she is allergic to and eliminate it from her life completely. All these measures help to manage it but wont take it away fully. Once you know this, you won’t feel helpless and frustrated anymore.
-Hope, A lot of people will eventually grow out of it or at least it becomes very mild later.

Good luck!

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

What A Father Told His Daughter A-day Before Her Wedding - Read / What I Learned In A Nigerian Police Cell / Family Palava, Is She Right In Filing For A Divorce or Wrong? (Photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.