Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,769 members, 7,802,354 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 12:58 PM

Tithe – You Are Not Robbing God, Your Pastor Is Robbing God’s People. - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Tithe – You Are Not Robbing God, Your Pastor Is Robbing God’s People. (18029 Views)

"When A Pastor Is Into Sport Betting"- Hilarious Photo / 5 Dangerous Signs Your Pastor Is A Fake / The Sin Of self-service And Its Consequencies In The Life Of God's People (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Tithe – You Are Not Robbing God, Your Pastor Is Robbing God’s People. by Goshen360(m): 8:49pm On Jan 17, 2012
Introduction

Please don’t be quick to crucify me. Please give a little time to learn the word of God as I have taken time to research this out of the word of God. I am a Christian (born again) and I have decided to open the books of the Bible like the early Christian to see if church practices in our today's world are right. The tithe is a subject that is very dear to most church leaders. Those denominations that can get their members to actually bring in a full 10% of gross income can create very powerful forces far beyond their strength in numbers. One will not find the modern church tithe authorized in the Old Covenant, nor in the New Covenant.

Certainly, the history of the modern church which started in the book of Acts of the Apostles never practiced tithing as early believers. I hope to show you in this article that while many church fund-raising organizations and Christian financial counseling ministries tell us that not paying "the tithe" is robbing God, the actual Biblical facts are that those who teach tithing as a Christian doctrine are, in fact, the ones who are "robbing God." Many Christian leaders and denominations say that those who do not tithe are robbing God and will suffer curses for not doing so. Their idea is that the church is full of God robbers, that is, people who do not tithe 10 per cent of their income.

I am going to make a statement that will probably shock many Christians who have been in church for a long period of time and feel they know the bible pretty well. I hope this statement encourages the reader to "see for themselves" that this statement is 100 per cent biblically true. My hope is that when we see how far off Scriptural ground we have come in such basic Christian teachings as giving, we will renew our desire to study to "show ourselves approved." Here is the statement: The tithe as taught by most Christian denominations and leaders as being 10 per cent of gross or net income is not contained on the pages of the Bible! Again, most Christians leaders have simply held to tithing because it is a part in the Old Testament that suits them to raise more funds for their denominations and build their man empires. Furthermore, it reveals some aspects of Moses Law which they would prefer laymen not study too thoroughly. When a Christian truly begins to see the difference between the Old Covenant and New, deceitful ministers who use portions of the Old Covenant to hold God’s people in bondage, will become manifest. They do not want to be exposed.

They all refer to the same handful of Scriptures to justify their position. I will use the same scriptures as an examples of which are used to support their view and then show how these scriptures have not only been grossly taken out of context, but even these scriptures out of context do not support the teaching of tithing being 10% of income. We will then study the history of tithing in the Old Testament, the early church view on the subject, and what I have studied and believe is the correct biblical view on giving. PLEASE GET YOUR BIBLE TO OPEN ALONG. THIS IS NOT AN ARGUMENT BUT EXPOSITION AND IT IS GOING TO BE A STUDY TIME.

Body

Those who teach that Christians are obligated to tithe can be categorized into two main groups:

1. Those who say we are still under the Mosaic Law or portions of it.

2. Those who say the tithe is part of the Abrahamic Covenant which is pre-Mosaic law.

The latter group says the Abrahamic Covenant, being a covenant of faith, is valid for the church. They say Abraham was a tither. Therefore, we should tithe.

Pre – Mosaic Law

Abel

In Genesis 4:3-7. Cain brought forth an offering from the fruit of the ground to the LORD and Abel brought the firstborn of his flock and of their fat. The LORD respected Abel and his offering, but He did not respect Cain and his offering, which caused Cain to become very angry.

The passage mentioned above, there is not a hint as to the amount being offered. Both fruit of the ground and flocks are acceptable offerings. One could point out that Abel brought blood and Cain did not. One could perhaps make something of the fact that Abel gave of his "first-born" while nothing is said about Cain’s offering. We could attempt to "spiritualize" here, meaning Abel offering as first-born which is spiritualized as a type of Christ but if we let the Scripture stand as it is with a "literal" interpretation, we do not have a "Biblical tithe" here. We have two offerings; one acceptable—one unacceptable. Hebrews 11: 4.

Abraham

We come to Abraham and his offering to Melchizedek, the king of Salem. There are those who say that, while we are not under the Mosaic Law, we Christians are children of faith. Our father in this faith is Abraham. They say that Abraham was a tither and therefore we must be tithers. Genesis 14 deals with a battle between 9 kings, five against four. Abraham, with 318 of his men, went after the four kings who spoiled the king of Sodom and the king of Gomorrah. Abraham defeated the kings, and set his nephew Lot free. On the way back with all the spoils of war, the king of Salem met Abraham in the king’s valley.

Here a mysterious king of Salem, priest of the God Most High, brought out bread and wine and blessed Abram. Abram then gave a tenth of those spoils to Melchizedek. Again, if we put this in spiritual content, Melchizedek is a type of Christ and king of Salem but Jesus was from the tribe of Judah. Heb 7: 1- End, emphasis on 12-14, 17. Also remember was rich in Gen. 13:2 and we are not told it was by paying tithe that he became rich neither are we told he paid tithe before the account in Genesis 14.

One thing is clear in this passage, these "spoils" were not the properties of Abraham and Abraham kept nothing! Furthermore, there is no reference in the bible that Abraham gave the king of Salem anything else, ever. In other words, there is no continuous tradition as practiced in today’s church prior to or after this event of giving a tenth of the spoils of war to the king Melchizedek. In addition, there is no directive anywhere in the Scriptures which grants the right for any human being to place themselves into the priesthood of Melchizedek commanding tithes of God’s people! The jump from this event to the modern day tradition of offering tithes to a pastor or head of an organization claiming this fulfills the event in Genesis is going way beyond literalism and way beyond "spiritualizing." It is nothing short of twisting the Scriptures for self-gain. Abraham didn’t give a "full tithe" of ten per cent. Abram gave it ALL away! It should also be noted, these spoils went to this mysterious king of Salem, not to a pastor, denominational headquarters, etc. There is not one record that Abraham did anything like this again. There is nothing in the bible up to this point to indicate that God wanted a tenth of everything a person owned. If He did want that, it seems it wouldn’t have been too difficult to simply state that He did, but He didn’t. Abraham offered a free-will offering of spoils of war to a mysterious king.

"I will take nothing from a thread to a sandal strap, and that I will not take anything that is yours, lest you should say, ‘I have made Abram rich.’" (Gen. 14:23)

The prophetic people here cannot see that, God was abolishing or not interested in slavery which is why God delivered Israelites from Egypt. Melchizedek as a type of Christ received everything Abraham conquered from the war because they became slaves and God is never interested in slavery so, he received everything from Abraham.

Abraham took several animals and cut them in half when making an agreement with God. Why do we not do the same in our modern Christianity yet we claim Abraham faith as to tithing. Why are tithing teachers so selective as to which ancient traditions they wish to place upon the backs of God’s people just because it suites their canal mind? We must rightly divide the Word of God of truth. Why do those who teach and practice tithing no longer practice slavery, and the killing of women and children as revealed previously? Well, perhaps they do, but most of the slaves do not realize they are slaves to a system which places burdens upon the backs of God’s people that He never placed upon their backs! Few Christians are aware of how spiritually dead they really until they come out of the graveyards in which they worship. The Abrahamic Covenant: The ratification of what we call the Abrahamic Covenant or the Covenant of Faith is found in Genesis 15. Not one single word is found about tithing. Many Christians who thinks they "decided" to follow Jesus, still doesn’t know what the Abrahamic Covenant is all about.

Jacob

We see the word tithe is found in Genesis 28:20-22.

"If God will be with me, and keep me in this way that I am going, and give me bread to eat and clothing to put on, so that I come back to my father’s house in peace, then the LORD shall be my God. And this stone which I have set as a pillar shall be God’s house, and of all you give me I will surely give a tenth to You."

If Abraham had taught his children to tithe, then Jacob had no business trying to make a deal with God. "You take good care of me and I’ll give you back 10 per cent." Jacob would have given tithe without conditions to God should Abraham had taught him tithe as commandment of God. Jacob, the heel-grabber made a conditional promise to God. We do not find God answering Jacob. There certainly is no indication whatsoever that any of his attempt to make a deal with God has anything to do with us apart from the fact that many of us seem to have the same nature Jacob had. We seem to play the same games with God that Jacob played. There are many truths we can learn from Jacob who would one day become Israel, but tithing is not something we can learn from him as there is not a single record that God commanded him to tithe and not a single record that he ever did tithe again as a way of today church continuous traditional practice.

The Mosaic Tithe

"Whoever shall keep the whole law, and yet stumble in one point, he is guilty of all." The penalty is death! James 2:10

Those who want to use the Mosaic tithing system to finance their churches, ministers and ministries are not willing to accept the rest of the package. I am afraid it was, is, and always will be a package deal, all or none. If you don’t believe me, see what Paul called the Ten Commandments in 2 Corinthians 3:5-7.

"Our sufficiency is from God, who also made us sufficient as ministers of the new covenant, not of the letter but of the Spirit; for the letter kills, but the Spirit gives life. But if the ministry of death, written and engraved on stones was glorious, so that the children of Israel could not look steadily at the face of Moses because of the glory of his countenance, which glory was passing away, how will the ministry of the Spirit not be more glorious."

Old Testament studies tell us that tracing the "tithe" and how it was administered is "obscure." Yet many ministers quote two or three passages out of Leviticus, Exodus, or Malachi and tell us "tithing” and it should go to your local ‘church.’" Those of you who want to see for yourself rather just believing a preacher or a self made pastor because he said so rather than believing the word of God, will discover the following:

• No tithe of any kind is found in the book of the covenant given by Moses which consist the Ten Commandments and various civil and religious requirements. Funds to provide for these activities came from free-will offerings. (Ex. Chapters 20-23, Ex. 34:22,29; 36:3,7)

• Tithing system was instituted in Lev. 27:30-33 "And all the tithe of the land, whether of the seed of the land or of the fruit of the tree, is the LORD’s. It is holy to the LORD. If a man wants at all to redeem any of his tithes, he shall add one-fifth to it. And concerning the tithe of the herd or the flock, of whatever passes under the rod, the tenth one shall be holy to the LORD."

• Please note some very important things here. The tithe was specifically directed to the "land, whether of the seed of the land or the fruit of the tree," and the animals which ate of the land. God specifically did not mention the fishing, mining, tent-making, lumber, or various professional occupations even as we have today. The focus was a tenth of the seed and fruit of the land. Also note that if a person wanted to pay money instead of the actual produce, he had to pay 20 per cent more! Obviously money was not what God was after. Furthermore, regarding the animals, it was the tenth one which passed under the rod which was to be tithed. A man with less than 10 animals did not have to tithe his animals! Also note, he could not redeem the animals, that is, he could not give money instead of the actual animal.

• When looking at all the Scriptures in the Bible that deal with tithing, only the owners of the land and animals had to tithe those items. Servants or slaves who worked that land did not tithe; the produce did not belong to them.

• As Israel changed from nomads in the wilderness to a nation with boundaries and set cities, the regulations on tithing changed showing again there was never a set "Biblical tithe." Deuteronomy Chapters 12 and 14 tell us of some of the changes. Deuteronomy 12:8 tells us, "Ye shall not do after all the things that we do here (prior to entering Canaan) this day, every man whatsoever is right in his own eyes." When Israel entered Canaan, they then set up a system which would distribute tithes, taxes, offerings, etc., which would logistically take care of a country 200 by 50 miles in area.

• Due to the inconvenience of having to carry grain and animals perhaps as far as 100 miles, the 20 per cent surcharge for converting to cash was dropped. (Deut. 14:24,25) Furthermore, they were allowed to "spend that money for whatever your heart desires: for oxen or sheep, for wine or similar drink, for whatever your heart desires; you shall eat there before the LORD your God, and you shall rejoice, you and your household." (Deut. 14:26)

• Deuteronomy Chapter 14:23 says in every third year the tithe of the produce was to be laid up for the Levite and the stranger and the fatherless and the widow who are within your gates, that they may eat and be satisfied. Please note, we are talking about people not going hungry.

• One of the purposes for the tithe was to provide for the Levites. The Levites received a smaller allotment of land than the other tribes. The Levites provided not only much of the religious functions of the community, but judicial, governmental, and educational as well. In other words, the tithe was also used for secular purposes. Levites were often musicians, administrators, architects, judges, teachers, scribes, doctors, what we would call "professional people" today. The Levite would tithe the tithe given him and give that to the priests. The priests did not have to tithe. I realize most people equate Levites with priests, but somewhere in the history of Israel, two different classes developed.

• Those responsible for getting money out of their congregations often use Scriptures not even dealing with the tithe to teach tithing. The laws centering on first-fruits and first-born are different from the laws around the tithe. For firstlings, see Num. 3:12, 13, 40-45; 8:16-18. For first-fruits, see Lev. 23:10-14; Num. 18:12-28. If we re-institute all these Mosaic Laws dealing with trying to get something out of God’s people, why not re-institute all of them? Of course, that would be ridiculous. We would have to start slaughtering lambs and killing rebellious children. Remember, he who fails in one point of the Mosaic Law, is guilty of it all!

• When the children of Israel were in their land, they were required to come to Jerusalem for three feasts each year. A portion of their tithe was to be used for them to rejoice! 10 per cent of gross income in addition to hefty federal, state, and local taxes is nothing to rejoice about especially since most churches don’t allow one to use a portion of the tithe to "rejoice with wine or similar drink." The Mosaic Law commanded the children of Israel to come to Jerusalem three times a year. How many pastors force their congregations to take a trip to Jerusalem three times a year. This was just as binding as the Biblical tithe.

• In the seventh year, there was to be no planting, no reaping, and no tithing. (Lev. 25:1-7) Do tithe-preaching pastors give their congregation a break every 7 years? I haven’t met one yet. (I tell you they didn’t get their tithing teachings from the Bible!)

• The Levites did not live completely off the tithe. They only ministered in the temple twice a year for a week at a time. (Ex. 23:14-17; Lev. 23; Deut. 16:16) They were allotted quite a bit of land around their home cities. (Num. 35:4) These fields belonged to the Levites for a perpetual possession. (Lev. 25:34)

• Only Levites could receive the tithe! Jesus Christ himself could not receive the tithe because He was from the tribe of Judah. The Levites are gone. Even modern Jews cannot tithe to them anymore.

• The Mosaic Law was till the “Promised Seed” should come and that was Jesus, the Messiah.

Malachi 3:8-10

"Will a man rob God? Yet you have robbed me! But you say, ‘In what way have we robbed you?’ "In tithes and offerings. For you have robbed me. Even this whole nation. Bring all the tithes into the storehouse, that there may be food/meat in my house, and try me now in this," says the Lord of hosts, "If I will not open for you such a blessing that there will not be room enough to receive it.’"

If I try to spiritualize this text, we will get the full picture but let us leave it literally within text. Again, you can’t take scriptures out of context and sit on some verses to establish a doctrine. Please read the whole Malachi 3 and see what God is saying. ASK YOURSELF THIS QUESTION: EVER SINCE YOU HAVE BEEN TITHING TO YOUR PASTOR/DENOMINATION THINKING YOU ARE TITHING TO GOD, HAS THE BLESSING THAT FOLLOWS AFTER IN MAL 3:11-12 FOLLOWED AFTER? HAVE YOU BECOME SO BLESSED THAT ALL NATIONS CALLED YOU BLESSED?

The main focus of tithing throughout the Old Testament was food!!! Food for the Levite, food for the stranger, food for the widow, food for the orphan and God doesn’t change the subject in Malachi. The subject is still "food in My house." It is very sad that it never occurs to pastors of churches that the early church wasn’t concerned about choir robes, pews, organs, pastor retirement funds, building funds, retreats, new carpets, etc. They didn’t have any of these things nor did they want any of this stuff! Pastors who are so interested in that 10 per cent off the top are usually building their own kingdom which usually requires a lot of money. Jesus is building His church in an entirely different way, and He doesn’t need padded pews, stained glass and steeples to get the job done.

The next time a pastor has one of the elders, deacons, traveling financial counselor, or evangelist put the guilt on you about tithing, buy a truckload of wheat and dump it on the pulpit and see his reaction. "Food in my house." You would have fulfilled the Old Testament Law perfectly, if you were a landowner and it wasn’t the 7th year. If you brought the truckload in on the seventh year, you would have broken the law and would have been under a curse. This is not to say there is no proper place for money in ministries. Of course, there are many financial needs even in Holy Spirit directed works. How this money is raised and how well it is managed and for what purpose is the real issue.

New Covenant / Testament Tithing or free will giving?

"But woe unto you, Pharisee! For ye tithe mint and rue and all manner of herbs, and pass over judgment, and the love of God: these ought ye to have done, and not to leave the other undone." (Luke 11:42 and Matthew 23:23)

Jesus was born under the law. The law would not pass away, not even one jot or title until all things be fulfilled. Just because Jesus spoke in Matthew and Luke does not mean it is New Covenant teaching. The New Covenant is not the set of books from Matthew to Revelation! The New Covenant was not ratified until Jesus offered up His blood in heaven which was after His resurrection. Prior to that, the Old Covenant, and the Levitical Priesthood was still in effect. Hence, Jesus was fulfuling the Law of Moses and also the Prophets as the Law are shadows of the real thing to come, Jesus and fulfilling prophecies by the Prophets as the Mesiah. Jesus was fulfilling Law and prophets while in the process of establishing the New Covenant. (Hebrews 9:15-20 proves this truth) Jesus Himself said to do what those who sit in Moses seat said to do, but don’t do what they do. So, if they claim Jesus was justifying tithe in Matthew 23:23, how come He tells His disciples, today’s Christians not to do what they do in Matt. 23:1-4.

First, Jesus was talking to the Pharisees here and not His disciples as there were six (6) categories of “Woes” Jesus gave to the Pharisees, Luke 11: 37-52. Why do teachers of tithe take tithes only among the 6 woes and not the rest of the woes? It should be pointed out at this time, that Jesus condemned the Pharisee who tithed even the smallest of seeds, but neglected other parts of the law dealing with proper judgment and the love of God as constituted in the laws of Moses: Food for the Levite, food for the stranger, food for the widow, food for the orphan Keep in mind that when Jesus told the people to do what those in Moses seat commanded that He was not condoning their commands and actions. He was acknowledging the authority that God set up. The Levitical priesthood was the valid agency set up by God Himself. But when the tree did not produce the fruit of the kingdom, He cursed it. When one studies the fruit of the Law of Moses and the Tree of the Knowledge of good and evil, one will find great similarities and powerful truths. The law tells us what is good and evil, but it still can only bring us death for by the law "shall no one be justified."

Luke 18:12-14.

Another account of a tither in the improperly named "New Testament" occurs in Luke 18:12-14. Between the tither who "fasted twice a week and give tithes of all that I possess" and the publican, a sinner—it was the sinner who "went to his house justified" and not the tither. The writer of Hebrews spends a great deal of time explaining that the old system is but a "copy and shadow of the heavenly things." (Hebrews 8:5)

"For the law, having a shadow of the good things to come and not the very image of the things, can never with these same sacrifices, which they offer continually year by year, make those who approach perfect. For then would they not have ceased to be offered? For the worshippers, once purified, would have had no more consciousness of sins. But in those sacrifices there is a reminder of sins every year. For it is not possible that the blood of bulls and goats could take away sins. Therefore, when He came into the world, He said: ‘Sacrifice and offering you did not desire. But a body you have prepared for me, " (Hebrews 10:1-5)

How the early church was financed

The New Testament church actually started in the Acts of the Apostles after the death and resurrection of Jesus Christ. Men and women, as many as were willing hearted, willing offering unto the Lord , They brought free offerings. The stuff they had was sufficient for all the work to make it, and too much." When our Father’s people give according to His heart and do the work He has called us to do in His way, those offerings of the heart will be sufficient and more than sufficient. The keys are the willing heart and the proper work. Paul did not receive Tithes. Jesus never received tithes neither did we have record of Jesus paying tithes also. The life of Jesus should be a perfect example to us on giving. If He collected tithes, perhaps, a minister could make a reasonable argument for collecting tithes, but He did not. "Though he was rich, yet for your sakes he became poor, that ye through his poverty might be rich." (2 Cor. 8:9) "Freely have ye received, freely give." (Matt. 10:cool

Those teaching tithing as a New Covenant law or principle are actually the very ones who are robbing God, robbing God’s people hence robbing God. How? Am glad you ask. Well, as many passages of Scriptures make abundantly clear, under the New Covenant, there is a new temple, new priesthood, and a new law. The Old Covenant had Levites and priests; the New Covenant has apostles, prophets, evangelists, pastors, and teachers. The New Covenant has "gifts of men." (Eph. 4:cool It also gave through the Holy Spirit "gifts to men." We find some of them listed in 1 Corinthians Chapter 12. This is the main list Pentecostals and Charismatic use to prove supernatural gifts are for today. Unfortunately, too few are aware of another list of gifts equally needful and equally New Testament. We find that list in Romans Chapter 12:4-8. Non-Charismatic and Pentecostals are probably more familiar with this list. One of the gifts listed is the gift of giving.

"Having then gifts differing according to the grace that is given to us, let us use them: if prophesy, let us prophesy in proportion to our faith; or ministry, let us use it in our ministering; he who teaches, in teaching; he who exhorts, in exhortation; he who gives, with liberality; he who leads, with diligence; he who shows mercy, with cheerfulness." (Rom. 12:cool

Now if the Holy Spirit divides the gifts as He wills, then different members of the body do different things and are equipped differently to do their job. The tithe demands, according to tithe proponents, 10 per cent off the top from everyone. But there are those who are specifically given the "gift of giving." What if God blesses a man in a business venture that makes that man a billionaire. What if God has given him the gift of giving and he is to give away 99 per cent of what he earns? But when he is taught that if you are a tither you are doing great, he will not actually give the full amount of what God called him to give! The man then ends up boasting in giving his ten per cent, is nominated to be treasurer of the church, and yet is not bearing the fullness of the gift he has been given to bless the body of Christ and the world. I believe there have been men and women in the body of Christ who should have given billions of dollars away who, because of this false teaching on tithing, have fallen short in fulfilling their giving.

So those who teach the tithe have lead many to live by the Mosaic Law instead of being lead by the Holy Spirit.
Those who teach the modern day tithe rob God’s people of the rest which He promised them. Christians striving to keep the Mosaic Law while at the same time trying to live the life of Grace are the most miserable of creatures. You see, Christians lead by the Holy Spirit cease from their works and enter into the works of the Lord prepared for them from the foundation of the world. A tither cannot enter this rest. They are always giving to something which will build a man’s kingdom, something which will produce pride instead of the fruit of righteousness.

Any work our Father gives us to do, He also gives us the means to do it. They are His works and we are blessed to partake in them. There is no striving even though the works may be difficult. But the works, which come from this law and grace mixture, of which this modern tithing teaching is certainly a part—these works are laborious indeed—except perhaps for the one who is collecting the proceeds from them and using them for their own kingdom building program—a kingdom made in the image of man that is destined to fall. Babylon is not being built by ancient Babylonians anymore; the building of the tower of Babel has been taken over by christendom.

A person who teaches tithing robs God’s people from hearing from God Himself about what and whom to give to each and every day. Someone who pays their taxes, and gives 10 per cent of their income to their pastor, plus offerings for missions, building fund, bake and rummage sales, etc., because the law or tradition of their organization pressures them to do so, is likely to develop an attitude that their giving is finished at the offering plate. They are so drained of finances that when Jesus arrives at their door for a piece of bread, their response might be, "Oh, I gave already at the church!" Laws such as the modern tithing law, instituted by either ignorant or deceiving ministers keep God’s children from hearing what they should be doing on a day to day basis! Tithing Teachers are robbing God’s people. Now repent and stop it! His mercy endures forever! Go to the fountain of Grace and discover how to enter into His rest yourself!

"Woe to the shepherds of Israel who feed themselves! Should not the shepherds feed the flock? You eat the fat and clothe yourselves with the wool; you slaughter the fatlings, but you do not feed the flock. The weak you have not strengthened, nor have you healed those who were sick, nor bound up the broken, nor brought back what was driven away, nor sought what was lost; but with force and cruelty you have ruled them." (Ezekiel 34:2-4)

"My people have been lost sheep. Their shepherds have led them astray; they have turned them away on the mountains. They have gone from mountain to hill. They have forgotten their resting place. All who found them have devoured them." (Jeremiah 50:6-7)

This world needs Christians full of the works of the Lord prepared from the foundation of the world, not weak, beaten, and fleeced sheep who look like they haven’t had a day’s rest since they became Christians because they are always so busy building their minister’s kingdom while thinking they are doing God’s work. Yes, Mr. or Mrs. or Reverend Tithe Collector, I am being very hard right now. But so have you been! It is time for it to stop! Now! I am not speaking from a "holier than thou" position here.

Giving is done freely

Much of what goes on in the name of Christ is nothing more than wood, hay, and stubble. If you are giving out of fear or curse placed on you by hard task masters (often in the form of ministers), or giving in order to get more back or a host of other reasons for giving stemming from fear and selfishness, then you are free to stop giving. He can keep this universe going without your help, financial or otherwise. God does not want your money! It is all His anyway. We just keep forgetting that. Perhaps the grave is a good reminder of that fact. See how much of what you think is yours will still belong to you on the other side of the grave. Some of us will be amazed at our emptiness, how little we actually have gathered in this lifetime. It is not too late to begin gathering things that will be yours to keep on the other side. Begin to ask the Holy Spirit about these kinds of possessions.

God wants our hearts. And when He has our hearts, He will fill them with Himself and we will give because that is His nature. He is a giver. Apart from His giving, the universe would cease to exist. It is by the giving of Himself that all things are sustained. He wants to give Himself through us. Why? Because He wants to bless us! He wants us to experience what it is to be like Him. He pours Himself out to the object of His love. As we give Him to the world through our obedience to the Law of the New Covenant, the law of Love (John 15:12, 13), we give from His will, His gifts, His nature, His fruit, and we partake of it as we give it. He wants you to pass it on, and He wants to give it back. How?

"’I was hungry and you gave Me food; I was thirsty and you gave Me drink; I was a stranger and you took me in; I was naked and you clothed Me; I was sick and you visited Me; I was in prison and you came to Me. Then the righteous will answer Him, saying, ‘Lord, when did we see You hungry and feed You, or thirsty and give You drink? When did we see You a stranger and take You in, or naked and clothe You? Or when did we see You sick, or in prison, and come to You?’ And the King will answer and say to them, ‘Assuredly, I say to you, inasmuch as you did it to one of the least of these My brethren, you did it to Me." (Matt. 25:35-40)

Summary

Come to think of it. What is God worth in your life? Only 10% of your financial income? Certainly not. If all you give to God is just 10%, then your salvation is questionable if you are born again because the nature of our God is giving. John 3:16. In summary, because the tithe as taught by modern churches is not the New Testament way of giving, it will not produce the fruit of the New Covenant, neither for the people who tithe, nor the "programs" for which the money is used. Should we give? Graciously and abundantly! Should we support those who true and genuine minister(s) the Gospel? Yes, even to the point of giving "double honor." They who preach the Gospel have a right to live from the Gospel (1Cor.9:3-13), even though it is often abused today.

All Christians must never forget, however, that those in leadership and those not in leadership are priests, a royal priesthood. You, my dear Christian brother or sister, are to be a blessing to the world because you are ladened with gifts from above which He has called you to manifest in the earth. It is time to stop supporting wolves in sheep's clothing and be about your Father’s business. This will restore the joy of your salvation.

Conclusion

John 6: 68-69. But Simon Peter answered Him “Lord, to whom shall we go? You have the words of eternal life. Also we have come to believe and know that You are the Christ, the son of the living God”.

Peter made this statement of revelation at the time when many disciples are walking away from Jesus because they thought Jesus was too rigid and difficult to understand/follow or be His disciples, remember Jesus also had 70 disciples. Many Christians today are walking away from the truth of the revelation of Jesus, following their religious leaders who have put so many burdens on them. Then Jesus said,

"Come to me, all of you who are weary and carry heavy burdens, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you. Let me teach you, because I am humble and gentle at heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy to bear, and the burden I give you is light.” (Matthew 11:28-30, New Living translation) Take the yoke of Jesus today and you will find out Christianity is easy.

"Remember this—meager sowing means meager reaping; generous sowing means generous reaping. Each person must make up his own mind what he is going to give. He must not give as if giving hurt him, or as if the money was being forced out of him. God loves a man who enjoys giving. God can give you more than enough of every good gift, enough for you to have plenty for yourselves always and in any circumstances, and to have enough left over to contribute to every good cause." (2 Cor. 9:6-cool

"You must love your enemies; you must be kind to them; you must lend without hope of getting anything back. If you do that, you will receive a rich reward, and you will be like the Most High, for he is kind to the ungrateful and to the mean. You must show yourself merciful, as your Father is merciful. Do not make a habit of judging people, and you will not be judged yourselves. Forgive, and you will be forgiven. Be generous, and you will find others generous to you. Good measure, close-packed, and shaken down, brimming over, will be poured into your lap. You will get in exactly the same proportion as you give." (Luke 6:35-38)

1 Like

Re: Tithe – You Are Not Robbing God, Your Pastor Is Robbing God’s People. by Nobody: 10:32pm On Jan 17, 2012
I set aside my funds for tithe etc still because I do so not out of fear, but understanding.
Though I will and have always said this, if I come across a family in need, and all I have is my tithe and offering, to that family will I give it. No questions asked.

I do get a bit irked when church administrations are more concerned about building new flashy buildings than focusing on reaching out and touching the neighbourhood as was the focus of The Church of Old. That aside though, I will say every organization requires money to function, and growth in the kingdom is absolutely awesome and should be accomodated.

Also, it is clear to me that, if that is the understanding church administrations go by, then any church that does not in itself tithe to another ministry (when I say ministry I also mean Homeless shelters, etc), are by their own logic cutting off their blessings, else they do not believe what it is they admonish others to do, and God does not honor disbelief.

Thankfully, some churches actually balance this nicely & give providence for members. I know Winners Chapel to be one that members in need can petition and (after investigation, cuz we live in a funny world with funny people) have such needs met.
And I have heard Oyedepo affirm that the church itself tithes. This, among other things, explains why that church still remains so successful through all this "stuff".

God likes to see the Cogs & Gears of Giving moving, but as in any machine, if there is a choke-point restricting motion of blessings (attributed to the greed of an individual or organization) He will often divert the flow of blessings through another route to keep things moving. At the end of the day, that is what God wants to see in his kingdom.

Cheers
Re: Tithe – You Are Not Robbing God, Your Pastor Is Robbing God’s People. by Goshen360(m): 10:42pm On Jan 17, 2012
^^^ As much as I agree with you on the above issue. The point remains, is it biblical to indoctrinate God's people to still practice tithe in the new testament, remember new testament started in Acts of the Apostles. If we see where the church from paid tithe from Acts of the Apostle to Revelation, show me and we look at it together. The truth is tithe today of teaching and traditions of men.
Re: Tithe – You Are Not Robbing God, Your Pastor Is Robbing God’s People. by Nobody: 11:01pm On Jan 17, 2012
"Tithing" is not "biblical" in a New Testament sense. It is mostly an extension of a good structure that worked in the old.
But that does not mean God does not honor it all the same, because GIVING is biblical . . . superbly so.
"Tithing" was a structure established by God, seeing it as something that worked, and something he still honors.

This is what I mean by giving with Understanding that you are not doing it to fulfill some past law, but to further the kingdom which should be a source of joy.
I would prefer it if some churches told it as it is. And indeed some have, as I quote one pastor (Anthony Greco): "Don't give so that you can be blessed, give because YOU ARE blessed".

PS: Giving in the New Testament was actually much more than 10%. Remember everyone selling all they had and stuff? Of-course this they did out of the joy [/b]of their own heart. That had never happened in the OT before. So the structure of "tithing" is a good proponent to keep things moving without freaking ppl out upon starting.

Basically, if one is so overwhelmed by their own issues that giving to advance the kingdom of God on earth is something they don't see as a [b]joy
, then there is no point.
Re: Tithe – You Are Not Robbing God, Your Pastor Is Robbing God’s People. by Goshen360(m): 11:04pm On Jan 17, 2012
2buff:

And I have heard Oyedepo affirm that the church itself tithes. This, among other things, explains why that church still remains so successful through all this "stuff".

Cheers

To be honest with you in the light of God's word. THE CHURCH ITSELF IS WRONG TO PAY TITHE TO GOVERNMENT WHATSOEVER. WHAT CHRIST DEMAND IS TAXES TO GOVERNMENT. PERCENTAGE OF TAXES IS MORE THAN 10% AS TO A CHURCH PAYING TITHE. SO IF THE CHURCH REALLY WANTS TO SINCERE AND TRUTHFUL, SHE SHOULD BE PAYING TAXES INSTEAD OF TITHE. THIS IS A CLEAR GIMMICK TO STILL CONTINUE TO LURE GOD'S PEOPLE TO CONTINUE TO PAY TITHES TO THE DENOMINATION. WE CAN GO ON AND ON TO SEE THIS FROM THE WORD OF GOD.
Re: Tithe – You Are Not Robbing God, Your Pastor Is Robbing God’s People. by Nobody: 11:06pm On Jan 17, 2012
^^ No-one said anything about them paying "tithes to government". From what I remember they payed tithes to other ministries (a word which I defined earlier).
As God permitted it, society has evolved to the poiunt of Non-profit orgs being exempt from taxes, at least in this part of the world.
Re: Tithe – You Are Not Robbing God, Your Pastor Is Robbing God’s People. by Goshen360(m): 11:27pm On Jan 17, 2012
2buff:

^^ No-one said anything about them paying "tithes to government". From what I remember they payed tithes to other ministries (a word which I defined earlier).
As God permitted it, society has evolved to the poiunt of Non-profit orgs being exempt from taxes, at least in this part of the world.

My dear brother, I cant remember Jesus asking us to pay tithe at all, not even to the point of paying to other ministries. We are staying within the context of the word of God. If they are giving to other ministries, that will mean to fulfill the word of God. Are you telling us what the bible says or what your denomination said? am not rude anyway. Giving is clearly different from tithing. Again, denominations or church that established business or profit oriented establishments are supposed to pay taxes to the government from such profit profit establishments, not doing that is not giving what belongs to Caesar to Caesar. I believe you are a student of the bible.
Re: Tithe – You Are Not Robbing God, Your Pastor Is Robbing God’s People. by Nobody: 11:35pm On Jan 17, 2012
My brethren, GIVE. That is the instruction from Christ.
Whether you choose to do it under the structure of tithing (as that is what it is) or on your own whim or both, just endeavour not to be the cog/gear that stops moving, and in your giving, keep love for people in the highest priority over structural flash.

You have seen my PS note earlier about how people gave in the NT and how it was even in more magnitude than the OT.
You seem to be griefing over the pointless. If Caeser has exempted churches from paying taxes, who are you to complain, if you are with the church?

And you seem to not understand how corporate entities work. a church is one entity, a non-profit organization.
NPOs can sell things for fund-raising as well. This is all legal, and Caeser knowing all this isn't complaining, so neither should you.
If per-adventure Caeser removes the exemption and changes the law, the churches and other NPOs will comply. Stop attempting to make the congregation of the brethren appear like outlaws.

Peace
Re: Tithe – You Are Not Robbing God, Your Pastor Is Robbing God’s People. by muyoto: 9:28pm On Jan 19, 2012
Let me get something straight: If I give my 10% [i]willingly [/i]to my church, is it tithing or giving?
Re: Tithe – You Are Not Robbing God, Your Pastor Is Robbing God’s People. by Goshen360(m): 11:35pm On Jan 19, 2012
muyoto:

Let me get something straight: If I give my 10% [i]willingly [/i]to my church, is it tithing or giving?

When you keep giving it with the mindset of you giving tithe, your blessing is not manifested because you are doing the right thing in a wrong way. You cannot give tithe as willful giving. Giving is different from tithing. Your giving can be more than what you call 10% or less, not necessarily 10% and also, not doing it as sunday sunday traditions. It is as much as you are willing and as much as you are blessed plus as you desire in your heart, not grudgingly or by force but willingly. You will then see God's manifestation in blessing.
Re: Tithe – You Are Not Robbing God, Your Pastor Is Robbing God’s People. by Image123(m): 3:34am On Jan 20, 2012
Sneeze, Snooze
Re: Tithe – You Are Not Robbing God, Your Pastor Is Robbing God’s People. by ramalot(m): 4:02am On Jan 20, 2012
Nothing new
Re: Tithe – You Are Not Robbing God, Your Pastor Is Robbing God’s People. by Goshen360(m): 4:30am On Jan 20, 2012
The truth is, many of us don't know or understand the bible times/ages: Gen to exodus 19 was Patriarchal age. ex 20 to the death of Jesus was Jewish or Israel age. Acts of the Apostle to the 2nd coming of Christ is Christian age. Jesus lived was born and lived under the Jewish age and separated it from the Christian age by his death on the cross. Jesus never taught His disciples to tithe and the early church never tithed. Any pastor who threaten people, people should just understand that it will never be of effect in Jesus name.
Re: Tithe – You Are Not Robbing God, Your Pastor Is Robbing God’s People. by Nobody: 1:23pm On Jan 21, 2012
@topic the problem of most christians is laziness they find it difficult to read. Rather they prefer to listen to som one expantiate the word of God to them. Them most important signal that the church was given thata a new christian order has commenced with the death of our lord Jesus christ is the tearing of the veil seprating the holy of holies the implication is that it is wrong for anybody to stand in the Gap for you as a christian. Infact you and your pastor are equally anointed he may appear more annointed due to the fact that he is more knowledgeable of his spiritual rights or he is brainwashing you. So how can a fellow levite like myself constitue himself as a tithe collector. The fact that anybody agrees to collect tithe means that they are nullifying the new order and they must also stop wearing clothes made with polyester and wool too.
A whole lot of things is wrong with this present church please check this list out and prayerfully meditate on them.

1. bringing the dead into the church during burial ceremony.---The bible affirms that after death the rest is judgement therefore laying a dead man in the middle of a church is just not concievable.
2. Making wedding ceremony in the church compulsory for couples as a condition for the legality of their marriage----was mary and joseph wedded in a church. The marriage Jesus attended in canaan if it was in a synagogue it would have been stated .
3. Establishing of business empire sure makes the kingdom message secondary if not to the founder but to the members who are still nurturing their faith.
Re: Tithe – You Are Not Robbing God, Your Pastor Is Robbing God’s People. by Goshen360(m): 7:30pm On Jan 21, 2012
^^^ Thanks you and God bless you. A lot of things are just wrong in the church today and I hope to bring them to revelation on this forum as time come and God giving me the grace. In my study of the church history to now, The church that was started by the Apostles of Jesus didnt practiced a lot of things we practice in the church today. Most of today's practice started after the Apostles died and greedy men hijacked the church of Jesus. Hence, we find ourselves in this 21st century with a wrong laid down tradition that is contrary to the order of Jesus and of the 1st century Apostles. God help us. The bible had said, men will pervert the truth and we hope to contend for the truth.
Re: Tithe – You Are Not Robbing God, Your Pastor Is Robbing God’s People. by Azibalua(f): 12:17am On Jan 22, 2012
Your tithe is not a giving you make it is a payment it does not belong to you.
Re: Tithe – You Are Not Robbing God, Your Pastor Is Robbing God’s People. by Goshen360(m): 2:11am On Jan 22, 2012
Azibalua:

Your tithe is not a giving you make it is a payment it does not belong to you.

What exactly are you saying? Tithe is not required in the new testament church order by Jesus christ. Did you read the article at all and you can also do your study, ok. We dont follow what pastors preach but what the word of God says. I hope you get it form the word of God by yourself and for yourself.
Re: Tithe – You Are Not Robbing God, Your Pastor Is Robbing God’s People. by ogajim(m): 5:54pm On Jan 23, 2012
goshen360:

What exactly are you saying? Tithe is not required in the new testament church order by Jesus christ. Did you read the article at all and you can also do your study, ok. We dont follow what pastors preach but what the word of God says. I hope you get it form the word of God by yourself and for yourself.

Don't mind these CEC lot, they have been brow-beaten into their current state, they don't seem to have any use for our Bible but rather their own ROR.

They follow "Pastor Chri" more than they follow Jesus Christ it seems.
Re: Tithe – You Are Not Robbing God, Your Pastor Is Robbing God’s People. by Nobody: 1:57pm On Jan 25, 2012
It is quite revealing that prominent posters on this religious section have chosen to abandon this informative thread. I have watched helplessly as pastors have misled a lot of people aided by their own laziness. I want to ask all the pastors who collect tithes from their congregation to answer this questions.
1. Did Jesus collect tithe?
2. Did the apostles ever collect tithe? (having it in mind that the only form of giving as exemplified in thenew testament is the act of giving willingly remenber ananaias and saphira gave without being instructed what percentage they were to give. )
3. Do you know that the original tithe was only foodstuff and not money despite the fact that there was a legal tender at that time still money was never tithed it was only food crops because the aim of tithe in the first place was to make sure levite's did not starve(meaning they were expected to be noble and in no way affluent otherwise the tithe of money would have being requested ) .
4. The book of malachi chapter 3 that we always quote stipulates that tithe should be stored in the "store house" not the "synagogue" or "temple". The reason is that tithes are perishable in their forms hence they were stored in the store house.
Why will the Church having all these facts choose to still preach the gospel of tithe beats me. It's quite easier to defend polygammy than to defend tithe but because tithe is a monetary issue people have chosen to ignore it. SMH.
Re: Tithe – You Are Not Robbing God, Your Pastor Is Robbing God’s People. by Goshen360(m): 5:48pm On Jan 25, 2012
^^^ God bless you. Just as many Christians would rather follow what their Pastors preach than to study for themselves. As basis of tithe was on food, let's assume we don't all do agriculture as their are many professions today which translated into money. The truth is, we are no more under the law and the preachers keep picking the tithe aspect of the law alone and sit on it. we need to rightly divide the word of truth. It won't be too difficult for Jesus to teach His disciples to tithe. It won't be too difficult for early Apostles to teach or continue in tithing should Jesus had taught it. I used to tithe in the past but recently found out it is just religious ceremony and doesn't produce new testament fruit in a believer.
Re: Tithe – You Are Not Robbing God, Your Pastor Is Robbing God’s People. by Nobody: 6:20pm On Jan 25, 2012
If it has been identified that these monsters are frudsters,should the people continue to pay their tithes to them ?
Re: Tithe – You Are Not Robbing God, Your Pastor Is Robbing God’s People. by Goshen360(m): 6:35pm On Jan 25, 2012
~Bluetooth:

If it has been identified that these monsters are frudsters,should the people continue to pay their tithes to them ?

My brother, I want to tell you by the Spirit of God, that God is building His church and the gates of hell will never prevail. The knowledge will fill the earth and the truth will prevail. Gradually, people will come to revelation of this truth. Do your part, and I will do my part and gradually, it will spread all over again. If you dont mind, I will like you to print my article and distribute it to your friends you will like to talk to about this subject and let's educate people. This is how the truth will prevail and people will willing drop this issue of tithing. I tell you, it is financial bondage in the new testament church order form by Christ. Thank you.
Re: Tithe – You Are Not Robbing God, Your Pastor Is Robbing God’s People. by honeric01(m): 8:34pm On Jan 25, 2012
uhmmm

if the churches clamoring on collecting tithes want to continue, then they should also be ready to pay all church workers too especially the choristers and the instrumentalists since they are also the levites and have claims to the tithe money.

also the widows and the widowers

also the fatherless, orphans and the sick.

that's what was going on in the "malachi 3" era.
Re: Tithe – You Are Not Robbing God, Your Pastor Is Robbing God’s People. by Goshen360(m): 8:46pm On Jan 25, 2012
honeric01:

uhmmm

if the churches clamoring on collecting tithes want to continue, then they should also be ready to pay all church workers too especially the choristers and the instrumentalists since they are also the levites and have claims to the tithe money.

also the widows and the widowers

also the fatherless, orphans and the sick.

that's what was going on in the "malachi 3" era.

GOD BLESS YOU. YOU ARE VERY CORRECT. FLESH AND BLOOD HAD NOT REVEALED TO YOU BUT OUR FATHER WHO IS IN HEAVEN. MANY PEOPLE QUOTE MALACHI BUT DON'T EVEN HAVE REVELATION ON MALACHI.
Re: Tithe – You Are Not Robbing God, Your Pastor Is Robbing God’s People. by PastorKun(m): 1:19pm On Jan 26, 2012
@Goshen360
God bless you for this your relentless exposition on the fraud called tithes that as grown to become a monster in our churches and put God's children under bondage. As believers we have to keep contending for the truth and exposing those giving christianity a bad name cause of their greed.
Re: Tithe – You Are Not Robbing God, Your Pastor Is Robbing God’s People. by Goshen360(m): 2:57pm On Jan 26, 2012
Pastor Kun:

@Goshen360
God bless you for this your relentless exposition on the fraud called tithes that as grown to become a monster in our churches and put God's children under bondage. As believers we have to keep contending for the truth and exposing those giving christianity a bad name cause of their greed.

Thank you. God bless you my PastorKun. You hardly see Jesus talked about money except for the area of tax and he used wisdom and said, Give unto caeser what belongs to caeser. The Kingdom of God must increase no matter what happens but more than anything, we need the end time messages filled with revelation instead of tradition of christianity. The church needs money but money has been the focus of many ministries today and we need to stand up against this even though we are not famous yet. I tell you the truth, should any of the famous pastors get this tithe revelation and decides to change, telling his congregation no more tithe, the same followers will come back here on nairaland and tell us tithe is not needed, that shows you how people are following pastors, not Jesus. My brother, we need work together. The bible says, a little leaven leavens up the whole lump, I need to go do your part and lets work together to spread this truth, if you are convinced on this matter. Please, print out my article and share with friends and family and let them study it on their own too. we are not trying to force believes into people but be an eye opener to our generation. God bless you, continue in the service of the Lord.
Re: Tithe – You Are Not Robbing God, Your Pastor Is Robbing God’s People. by otokx(m): 1:05pm On Jan 27, 2012
Thank God for the boldness of the poster; many a christian these days is scared to look critically at certain doctrines.
Re: Tithe – You Are Not Robbing God, Your Pastor Is Robbing God’s People. by calebrita(m): 9:05pm On Jan 29, 2012
i am very sure same god dat inspire you will call u sooner and all ur members will hear dat same voice u hear they will not pay their tithe by then u will see how it is.
Re: Tithe – You Are Not Robbing God, Your Pastor Is Robbing God’s People. by nuclearboy(m): 9:54pm On Jan 29, 2012
God is definitely opening eyes. I bless His Name
Re: Tithe – You Are Not Robbing God, Your Pastor Is Robbing God’s People. by Image123(m): 11:01pm On Jan 29, 2012
Eih eih holi holi, god bless you god bless you once you talk against tithe, for therein lieth the clause for thy blessing, and thereby are the holi holi known in the corts of yore.
Re: Tithe – You Are Not Robbing God, Your Pastor Is Robbing God’s People. by ichuka(m): 11:41pm On Jan 29, 2012
@goshen360.
Great work!i believe a time is coming when true Christains will worship God in truth and spirit with their families and neighbours  in their homes.
Some pastors knew the truth about tithing.but,are afraid to speakout because they might lose  there position and members,(John11:48)
Re: Tithe – You Are Not Robbing God, Your Pastor Is Robbing God’s People. by Goshen360(m): 4:40pm On Jan 30, 2012
calebrita:

i am very sure same god dat inspire you will call u sooner and all ur members will hear dat same voice u hear they will not pay their tithe by then u will see how it is.

This is one problem the church has, knowing the truth and refused to preach it. What makes you think I cannot succeed without people paying tithes in ministry. When God send you, he give you provision. I have the calling of God, working towards it and God forbid if i preach not the truth. There is a place for money in ministry and that is giving. Members can be so blessed beyond paying tithes alone and giving is also a ministry on its own in the new testament church. As a matter of truth, when you carry sometime the world needs, they will come and your ministry will be blessed.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Pastor And Wife Welcome Twins After 16 Years Of Childlessness / Pastor David Ibiyeomie: Any Love That Does Not Involve Giving Is Fake / Valentine: Ugandan Pastor Kisses His Wife In Front Of Congregation. PICS

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 169
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.