Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,182 members, 7,807,594 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 03:55 PM

Lol: Igbo-made Jeep And Bus To Be Launched In December - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Lol: Igbo-made Jeep And Bus To Be Launched In December (10851 Views)

Saraki Rocks Made In Aba Attire, Cruises Nigerian Made Jeep (PHOTOS) / LASTMA Officials And Bus Driver Battle It Out In Lagos Traffic. Photos / Niger Delta Amnesty Due To End In December- Buhari (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Lol: Igbo-made Jeep And Bus To Be Launched In December by FSU: 6:17pm On Oct 09, 2007
Local assembly plant to launch its first set of automobiles

AN indigenous auto assembly plant based in Enugu, Innoson Group of Companies, is to launch its first automobile products in Nigeria in December.

A director in the company, Mr. Augustine Onwuka, told the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) at the weekend in Enugu that the vehicles included a jeep and an 18-seater bus.

According to Onwuka, "these vehicles will be affordable to many Nigerians as they will sell below N1 million."

The director said that all the body parts, upholsteries and tyres are being manufactured in the country, but the engines are being imported.

The factory is located at Umudim, Nnewi in Anambra.

A branch of the company also produces plastic chairs, kitchen utensils, motorcycles, suspended ceilings, wall boards, toilet seats, as well as pre-paid metre boxes for the Power Holding Company of Nigeria (PHCN).

The director urged Nigerians to patronise made-in Nigeria products in view of their improved qualities.

``In no distant time, many Nigerians will own houses and cars because our company is geared toward improving people's living standards,'' he added.
http://odili.net/news/source/2007/oct/9/33.html
Re: Lol: Igbo-made Jeep And Bus To Be Launched In December by NINETOFIVE(m): 6:33pm On Oct 09, 2007
A pretty stand up thing, kudos, we need more of this,
Re: Lol: Igbo-made Jeep And Bus To Be Launched In December by evergie(m): 8:21pm On Oct 09, 2007
If this ever happen then i think is time we build roadside hospitals cos there will be more road accident. In my own opinion the federal govt should not allow he and his Chinese friends to kill us with that trap them produce.
This idea would have been more sensible if it were to be coming from people with great reputation in quality manufacturing. Chinese is known for one thing -fake products-
BAN! BAN!! BAN!!!

fellow Nigerian we should patronize his product if and only if they're worthless just like the well known Chinese products.
Re: Lol: Igbo-made Jeep And Bus To Be Launched In December by grafikdon: 8:27pm On Oct 09, 2007
Here we go again. . . the products have not been launched and you have concluded they're inferior and 'fake'
Re: Lol: Igbo-made Jeep And Bus To Be Launched In December by FSU: 8:55pm On Oct 09, 2007
evergie:

If this ever happen then i think is time we build roadside hospitals because there will be more road accident. In my own opinion the federal govt should not allow he and his Chinese friends to kill us with that trap them produce.
This idea would have been more sensible if it were to be coming from people with great reputation in quality manufacturing. Chinese is known for one thing -fake products-
BAN! BAN!! BAN!!!

fellow Nigerian we should patronize his product if and only if they're worthless just like the well known Chinese products.

What an incorrigible slowpoke. Can you compare Nigeria to China by any standards?
Re: Lol: Igbo-made Jeep And Bus To Be Launched In December by grafikdon: 9:07pm On Oct 09, 2007
That's the same negative attitude that killed the Izuogu Motors initiative. . . guess who's in a sweet automobile Deal with South Africa?
Re: Lol: Igbo-made Jeep And Bus To Be Launched In December by Afam(m): 9:15pm On Oct 09, 2007
evergie:

If this ever happen then i think is time we build roadside hospitals because there will be more road accident. In my own opinion the federal govt should not allow he and his Chinese friends to kill us with that trap them produce.
BAN! BAN!! BAN!!!

This sounds more like bad belle than any rational objections.
Re: Lol: Igbo-made Jeep And Bus To Be Launched In December by naijaway(m): 9:37pm On Oct 09, 2007
nice one, but can u change dat to Nigeria-made jeeps and buses. No disrespect just an opinion.
Re: Lol: Igbo-made Jeep And Bus To Be Launched In December by Nobody: 9:45pm On Oct 09, 2007
evergie:

BAN! BAN!! BAN!!!

Silly talks, Goat Head
Re: Lol: Igbo-made Jeep And Bus To Be Launched In December by McKren(m): 9:53pm On Oct 09, 2007
naijaway:

nice one, but can u change that to Nigeria-made jeeps and buses. No disrespect just an opinion.

Seconded
Re: Lol: Igbo-made Jeep And Bus To Be Launched In December by Seun(m): 9:59pm On Oct 09, 2007
Origin doesn't matter. Are they good vehicles, yes or no?
Re: Lol: Igbo-made Jeep And Bus To Be Launched In December by presido1: 10:07pm On Oct 09, 2007
Seun:

Origin doesn't matter. Are they good vehicles, yes or no?
If it is not a good car, their is room for improvement so what the heck are you talking about.
Re: Lol: Igbo-made Jeep And Bus To Be Launched In December by McKren(m): 10:20pm On Oct 09, 2007
You might be suprised to see someone from standards organisation of Nigeria coming forward to close this plant because it does not conform to ISO.

All hands must be on deck to make projects like this succeed, people and government should encourage improvement rather than demonise this company.
Re: Lol: Igbo-made Jeep And Bus To Be Launched In December by Iman3(m): 10:30pm On Oct 09, 2007
Just because a vehicle is being assembled in Nigeria doesn't mean that important safety standards should be ignored.While we should not enforce standards as stringent as Western standards,we should endeavour to enforce certain minimum requirements for the purpose of safety.

At least,the assembled vehicles should be better than the average Tokunbo vehicle brought into Nigeria
Re: Lol: Igbo-made Jeep And Bus To Be Launched In December by McKren(m): 10:35pm On Oct 09, 2007
I-Man

All am saying is standard agencies should encourage these companies to attain world class standards by continuos improvement programmes but not to shut the plant outrightly like we have done in the past because it falls short of world class standard.

That being said Minimum Safety Standards should not be compromised like you said as that will simply amount to manufacturing death traps.
Re: Lol: Igbo-made Jeep And Bus To Be Launched In December by princeonx: 10:57pm On Oct 09, 2007
And which existing car be it from the moon doesn't break down or can cause death?
Re: Lol: Igbo-made Jeep And Bus To Be Launched In December by FSU: 11:02pm On Oct 09, 2007
Lol: Igbo-made Jeep And Bus To Be Launched In December

IMHO, the name is appropriate. It will be made in Nnewi by Igbos.

Talking about quality, even German cars break down. In any case you gotta try it out first before you know if its of good or bad quality.
Re: Lol: Igbo-made Jeep And Bus To Be Launched In December by Kobojunkie: 11:37pm On Oct 09, 2007
I-man:

Just because a vehicle is being assembled in Nigeria doesn't mean that important safety standards should be ignored.While we should not enforce standards as stringent as Western standards,we should endeavour to enforce certain minimum requirements for the purpose of safety.

At least,the assembled vehicles should be better than the average Tokunbo vehicle brought into Nigeria

I can't believe you actually posted that there @Iman shocked ,  Nigeria wey no even get standards at all should not impose the sort of standards that are already in place in Western countries grin cheesy grin cheesy grin cheesy I believe it would be in OUR BEST INTEREST if they aim to do exactly what the western world has done. At least that way I know say chances that the seat belt will break during an accident or the chance that the car will fall apart when I get to 80km/hr on the Lagos ibadan express way are slimmer than if it is all left to those GOONS in Abuja to decide  lipsrsealed shocked

I say why not aim for the high standards from the start so that when the west get better in years to come, we will not be far behind or may even be ahead by then. It is like being a clothing designer,  why not make the cloths one is one from the start so that people will at least know that no matter how better other designers get, you are still one is one all the way and they will even help see you get to where the rest have gone that way.

Good show,  we have a car,  now are we all going to invest in it and see to it that it actually gets sold outside of Nigeria??

1 Like

Re: Lol: Igbo-made Jeep And Bus To Be Launched In December by eagleu: 11:44pm On Oct 09, 2007
@evergie

Your point about banning the locally made vehicles before we test, drive, and compare them is very unfortunate. It points to the main reason why black Africans are backwards. I don't know your educational, political, and social background, but something is definitely wrong with your views about Nigeria.

@all
Secondly, I don't know why the thread is so labelled, but it for jest or justice? The name of the vehicle should not be a problem. Afterall Bavaria is a German tribe/region, the Bavarian Motor Works-BMW has never had a problem with marketing/quality/production.
In Nigeria, every region is endowed with unique qualities, so instead of fighting about the potential name of made-in Nigeria car, why don't we think about producing other things in naija?

How about a Warri-made submarine, Makurdi-made airplanes, and Sokoto-made satelite system, etc
Re: Lol: Igbo-made Jeep And Bus To Be Launched In December by ochocinco1(m): 1:26am On Oct 10, 2007
eagleu:

How about a Warri-made submarine, Makurdi-made airplanes, and Sokoto-made satelite system, etc

Satellite for Sokoto ko, Satellite for Sokoto ni. grin

More like Sand Recycling Plant angry
Re: Lol: Igbo-made Jeep And Bus To Be Launched In December by Kobojunkie: 1:44am On Oct 10, 2007
eagleu:

@evergie

Your point about banning the locally made vehicles before we test, drive, and compare them is very unfortunate. It points to the main reason why black Africans are backwards. I don't know your educational, political, and social background, but something is definitely wrong with your views about Nigeria.

@all
Secondly, I don't know why the thread is so labelled, but it for jest or justice? The name of the vehicle should not be a problem. Afterall Bavaria is a German tribe/region, the Bavarian Motor Works-BMW has never had a problem with marketing/quality/production.
In Nigeria, every region is endowed with unique qualities, so instead of fighting about the potential name of made-in Nigeria car, why don't we think about producing other things in naija?

Are you trying to scare us
Re: Lol: Igbo-made Jeep And Bus To Be Launched In December by eagleu: 1:52am On Oct 10, 2007
@kobojunkei

No, I'm not trying to scare you at all. My point is that all parts of naija are gifted with something, so let's find whatever it is, and let people be proud of what they can make.

USA has only one Detriot, so I don't care if the Igbos spearhead automobile production.
Instead of castigating them, other regions should honesty compete or look for their own God-given talent.

If this happens, you would see how fast we would go from a corrupt, oil-dependent, and uneducated society to a modern industrial giant.
Re: Lol: Igbo-made Jeep And Bus To Be Launched In December by Jakumo(m): 5:55am On Oct 10, 2007
I will only purchase an Igbo-manufactured car it comes with a written guarantee that the vehicle was assembled from genuine 100% ABA MADE components, and is not tainted with any substandard German, Japanese, American, European or Taiwanese parts.

Additionally since seatbelts are for wimps, my car must be equipped with the latest Juju accident prevention talismans and amulets actually BUILT IN to the vehicle chassis so that I need not hang such objects from my rear-view mirror.

Finally this vehicle must be capable of running equally well on petrol, local gin or fermented urine, in order that I may never again be immobilized by any type of fuel shortage.
Re: Lol: Igbo-made Jeep And Bus To Be Launched In December by almondjoy(f): 6:29am On Oct 10, 2007
Jakumo:

I will only purchase an Igbo-manufactured car it comes with a written guarantee that the vehicle was assembled from genuine 100% ABA MADE components, and is not tainted with any substandard German, Japanese, American, European or Taiwanese parts.

Additionally since seatbelts are for wimps, my car must be equipped with the latest Juju accident prevention talismans and amulets actually BUILT IN to the vehicle chassis so that I need not hang such objects from my rear-view mirror.

Finally this vehicle must be capable of running equally well on petrol, local gin or fermented urine, in order that I may never again be immobilized by any type of fuel shortage.

Tee! hee! hee! hee! hee! hee! hee! heeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!! Choking to death with laffter!

cheesy grin cheesy grin cheesy grin cheesy grin

At least Okija shrine is still operational for some "genuine parts"!!! Well, Nigeria has started from somewhere. grin
Re: Lol: Igbo-made Jeep And Bus To Be Launched In December by FSU: 7:05am On Oct 10, 2007
All doubting thomases,

Do you know that ZINOX computers is also Igbo-made (using the words for the fun of it) and that most Nigerian banks and govt office are using that brand of computer already? Good things do come out from the SO-CALLED ABA made, you know
Re: Lol: Igbo-made Jeep And Bus To Be Launched In December by mellow(m): 7:19am On Oct 10, 2007
When taiwan started mananufacturing spares, we were shouting taiawan

this and taiwan that now Taiwan has started manufacturing genuin parts.

Why is it that we never have fiath in Nigerian products? If we start partronising

them then deinitely they will improve over time. This was the same problem ANAMCO

faced when they launched Zed 600, it never saw the light of day because of attitudes like this.

We just need to change our orintation.
[/color][color=#990000]
Re: Lol: Igbo-made Jeep And Bus To Be Launched In December by naijaking1: 7:46am On Oct 10, 2007
Political and finacial pressure need to be applied for naija people's attitude to change towards locally made goods.

There is nothing wrong with making things in Nigeria, I mean anything--- Airplanes, complex electronic, car/motors, ships, etc.

Where there is a will, there would a way.
Re: Lol: Igbo-made Jeep And Bus To Be Launched In December by almondjoy(f): 7:55am On Oct 10, 2007
naijaking1:

Political and finacial pressure need to be applied for naija people's attitude to change towards locally made goods.

There is nothing wrong with making things in Nigeria, I mean anything--- Airplanes, complex electronic, car/motors, ships, etc.

Where there is a will, there would a way.

True! But we must learn to have a maintenance culture first before we flood Nigeria with more hazadous junk! What in pluto's name are we building without constant power supply, adequate hydro-mechanics and toxic waste disposal systems? undecided No research or educational facilities and we are talking of manufacturing? I thought this was another jocular thread. I see some people are dead serious here. embarassed

We cannot get rid of pure water sachets on the streets of Nigeria and we are talking about manufacturing automobiles? Well, prepare for the increase in carcinogens in Nigeria then!!! Let us maintain what we have first then we can talk of manufacturing and so on later. We are already 47 years old and still crawling--no rush to fly then. Let us take our time and get things right.
Re: Lol: Igbo-made Jeep And Bus To Be Launched In December by FSU: 8:18am On Oct 10, 2007
almondjoy:

True! But we must learn to have a maintenance culture first before we flood Nigeria with more hazadous junk! What in pluto's name are we building without constant power supply, adequate hydro-mechanics and toxic waste disposal systems? undecided No research or educational facilities and we are talking of manufacturing? I thought this was another jocular thread. I see some people are dead serious here. embarassed

We cannot get rid of pure water sachets on the streets of Nigeria and we are talking about manufacturing automobiles? Well, prepare for the increase in carcinogens in Nigeria then!!! Let us maintain what we have first then we can talk of manufacturing and so on later. We are already 47 years old and still crawling--no rush to fly then. Let us take our time and get things right.

Maintenance culture? What will you maintain when you have not even manufactured? And, the automobiles in question are private-sector investment. Many private sector stuff in Nigeria are fairly-well managed, I think.
Re: Lol: Igbo-made Jeep And Bus To Be Launched In December by babasin(m): 9:01am On Oct 10, 2007
it is in order: Igbo Made Jeep.

We should all embrass it.

BMW = baverian motor works.

It is made by the proud 'Bayerns'; yet everyone/Germans see at as German machine.
Re: Lol: Igbo-made Jeep And Bus To Be Launched In December by Nobody: 9:09am On Oct 10, 2007
The problem with this country is the Citizens themself. Most of us have inferiority complex, you have concluded that nothing good will be made in Nigeria, A big pity and sorry to disappoint all of you because this is the beginning. If this same Nigerian manufactured a car in USA, you will be the same people to say Government does not support Nigerians Innovative and the guy had to go and produce abroad.
I pity your slavery mentality.
Off course the cars will have to be tested and conform to standard before being sold to the public, wait for that time and stop shooting down intelligent initiatives just because your brain is dead
ocho cinco:

Satellite for Sokoto ko, Satellite for Sokoto ni. grin

More like Sand Recycling Plant angry
You Must be dump not to know that a lot of technological innovations take place in Usman Dan Fodio University of Technology Sokoto, including Solar Energy Generator, Solar Energy Stove which we use in our Maiduguri home.
Re: Lol: Igbo-made Jeep And Bus To Be Launched In December by almondjoy(f): 9:43am On Oct 10, 2007
FSU:

Maintenance culture? What will you maintain when you have not even manufactured? And, the automobiles in question are private-sector investment. Many private sector stuff in Nigeria are fairly-well managed, I think.

I am pleased the "private sector" investment area is "fairly well managed"  that can be compared to Darfur standards. Maintain the "Ke Ke Marwas", "Tokunbos", "bolekajas" you have first before manufacturing others. I am all for Nigeria manufacturing goods and services--but  please let us take safety into consideration first!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Fashola Shuts Aswani Market / NL Political Dialogue Nov 2012: STATE POLICE - ARE WE READY FOR IT? / Aisha Buhari Attends North-East Developmment Commission Bill Hearing

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.