Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,560 members, 7,809,041 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 09:39 PM

Did You Try To Use Wikipedia During The SOPA blackout? - Webmasters - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / Did You Try To Use Wikipedia During The SOPA blackout? (3124 Views)

Bloggers: Before You Try To Be Like Linda Ikeji... / Yoruba The Most Popular African Language On Wikipedia - Jimmy Wales Co-Founder / Nairaland Is Now On Wikipedia (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Did You Try To Use Wikipedia During The SOPA blackout? by Jenifa1: 12:14am On Jan 19, 2012
I tried twice. fail!!

;;;;; on a more helpful note, u can use a non-google search engine (ex. yahoo search) and use the cache feature to browse wikipedia.
hopefully the site will be back tomorrow. Didn't realize the website's shut down would affect me but it did.
Re: Did You Try To Use Wikipedia During The SOPA blackout? by tpia5: 12:17am On Jan 19, 2012
I heard they're going on strike over something.
Re: Did You Try To Use Wikipedia During The SOPA blackout? by danjohn: 12:24am On Jan 19, 2012
I just did and it didnt work.
Re: Did You Try To Use Wikipedia During The SOPA blackout? by Beaf: 12:29am On Jan 19, 2012
They are protesting proposed anti-piracy laws on the floor of the US Senate that could gag the internet (both freedom and entrepreneurship).
The protest will be over in a few hours from now.
Re: Did You Try To Use Wikipedia During The SOPA blackout? by 9janinja1(f): 12:37am On Jan 19, 2012
sopa and pipa , its goin to affect youtube as well and a bunch of other websites. as soon as i heard i knew it would affect me.
Re: Did You Try To Use Wikipedia During The SOPA blackout? by tpia5: 3:24am On Jan 19, 2012
Wikipedia is still available in other languages besides english though.
Re: Did You Try To Use Wikipedia During The SOPA blackout? by mukina2: 5:44am On Jan 19, 2012
yup twice yesterday and even today and i got:-

Re: Did You Try To Use Wikipedia During The SOPA blackout? by Mobinga: 8:48am On Jan 19, 2012
Before the page loads completely just press escape.

I don't know why Wikipedia didn't restrict this for only US IP's, how can they blackout a global service because of a US-only related law??
Re: Did You Try To Use Wikipedia During The SOPA blackout? by justwise(m): 8:50am On Jan 19, 2012
Just press ESC u will be through, worked for me yesterday.
Re: Did You Try To Use Wikipedia During The SOPA blackout? by phreakabit(m): 9:02am On Jan 19, 2012
Accessed the website with relative ease.
Re: Did You Try To Use Wikipedia During The SOPA blackout? by bokohalal1: 9:07am On Jan 19, 2012
I didn't realise how important Wikipedia is to me till when I got a couple of "black-outs" for my search results on PC, mobile wikipedia saved me out tho before I adapted to the "esc" backdoor.
Re: Did You Try To Use Wikipedia During The SOPA blackout? by Nobody: 9:23am On Jan 19, 2012
I used it wella yday.
Re: Did You Try To Use Wikipedia During The SOPA blackout? by GoldCircle: 9:37am On Jan 19, 2012
yes i did! I really didn't hear about this SOPA thing until I tried visiting and saw the blackout. Hope the US congress backs down.
Re: Did You Try To Use Wikipedia During The SOPA blackout? by Finland(m): 9:37am On Jan 19, 2012
Black out is only in United states. . . .  I used it here just now.
Re: Did You Try To Use Wikipedia During The SOPA blackout? by Nobody: 9:41am On Jan 19, 2012
Yes. Once the anti_piracy law becomes effective. One could get up to 5yrs in jail for uploading a Michael jackson mp3. One year more than the doctor that killed him. grin
Re: Did You Try To Use Wikipedia During The SOPA blackout? by ogasir2011: 9:54am On Jan 19, 2012
saxywale:

Yes. Once the anti_piracy law becomes effective. One could get up to 5yrs in jail for uploading a Michael jackson mp3. One year more than the doctor that killed him. grin

Nice Sarcasm
Re: Did You Try To Use Wikipedia During The SOPA blackout? by bros1234(m): 9:56am On Jan 19, 2012
I used it yday. I just press the x in the browser so i dont wait for it to finish loading.
Re: Did You Try To Use Wikipedia During The SOPA blackout? by ChuckD2(m): 10:03am On Jan 19, 2012
Yes i tried using wiki and god the 'dark screen of protest' but it takes a few seconds to appear so what i did was when the page opens, i save it before the protest page covers it. I can then open the saved one and read.
Re: Did You Try To Use Wikipedia During The SOPA blackout? by IbroSaunks(m): 10:18am On Jan 19, 2012
I have been able to access it, I opened wikipedia pages yesterday and I just tried it now. perhaps it's because I'm opening the mobile version?
Re: Did You Try To Use Wikipedia During The SOPA blackout? by Mobinga: 10:58am On Jan 19, 2012
^^^ Yup! Your mobile browser probably doesn't support Javascript, which is what Wiki is using to display the page then redirect.
Re: Did You Try To Use Wikipedia During The SOPA blackout? by IbroSaunks(m): 11:04am On Jan 19, 2012
I think it does, at least I was under the impression that opera mini 6 supports javascript.
Re: Did You Try To Use Wikipedia During The SOPA blackout? by boloco(m): 11:30am On Jan 19, 2012
you can always access cached copy of blocked websites
Re: Did You Try To Use Wikipedia During The SOPA blackout? by tonyx4x44(m): 12:42pm On Jan 19, 2012
I use it that day with my bb. I went to google input my search term and clicked on I am feeling lucky. It did not work on my pc or an iphone though
Re: Did You Try To Use Wikipedia During The SOPA blackout? by missKeri(f): 1:22pm On Jan 19, 2012
Yes I did. Twice
Re: Did You Try To Use Wikipedia During The SOPA blackout? by Princek12(m): 2:15pm On Jan 19, 2012
Do people even know what SOPA means, its purpose, and why Wikipedia blacked out in protest of SOPA?
Re: Did You Try To Use Wikipedia During The SOPA blackout? by tonyx4x44(m): 2:18pm On Jan 19, 2012
If u don't go and google it
Re: Did You Try To Use Wikipedia During The SOPA blackout? by studyineu: 4:40pm On Jan 19, 2012
This is not only a USA based law, once it is approved it will affect every country. That's the truth so let's all fight against it.
Re: Did You Try To Use Wikipedia During The SOPA blackout? by Afam4eva(m): 5:48pm On Jan 19, 2012
Most big websites are protesting against this law.
Re: Did You Try To Use Wikipedia During The SOPA blackout? by KayDee4: 8:50pm On Jan 19, 2012
i tried it ystdy, just to see if it wld work and it did for abt 10 secs and then gave me the blackout page.
Re: Did You Try To Use Wikipedia During The SOPA blackout? by WebMonk(m): 9:06pm On Jan 19, 2012
Yup. got that blackout page too. but my link was slow enough for me to see the actual content I was looking for before the blackout occured (they were using an overlay). so I refreshed and stopped the page JUST before it finished loading. Perfect.
Re: Did You Try To Use Wikipedia During The SOPA blackout? by Nobody: 7:37am On Jan 20, 2012
Its working back now. Google covered their name too. and craigslist blacked out for the first 10 seconds.

(1) (Reply)

I Need Help With Forum Development And Management. / New MTN 750mb Cheat Code! New And Working! Get In Here!! / 10 Proven Strategies To Increase Your Adsense Revenue

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.