Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,579 members, 7,809,096 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 11:01 PM

Maths Tricks, Questions And Brain Teasers - Education (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Maths Tricks, Questions And Brain Teasers (44083 Views)

Brain Teasers Can You Slove These? / 22 Very Important Google Search Tricks / Brain Teasers Required To Increase Your IQ (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (19) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Maths Tricks, Questions And Brain Teasers by gendebs(m): 9:42pm On Jan 22, 2012
sauer:

u try! angry

A confused guy needs to plug a red, yellow and white cable into a socket that can only accommodate two at a time in a definite order. In how many ways can he try his luck!?
sowee i wanted to ans dis question. 6times
Re: Maths Tricks, Questions And Brain Teasers by emofine2(f): 12:30am On Jan 23, 2012
sauer:

From earlier:

Maggie Mathematical has five sons. One is called Alpha, another is called Beta, the third is called Gamma and the fourth is called Fred. What is the fifth son's name?

Thanks all! cheesy

[size=5pt]correct answer to this question gets "something nice!"[/size]

Beta?

sauer:

as i said earlier, person wey get d answer go get something nice. Hopefully, it'll be a girl who gets it right, so a kiss will be in order! wink

Now I sincerely hope that a guy provides the correct answer tongue
Re: Maths Tricks, Questions And Brain Teasers by Nobody: 7:26am On Jan 23, 2012
emöfine:

Beta?
Nah! Wrong! Please try harder, I feel like kissing grin

emöfine:

Now I sincerely hope that a guy provides the correct answer tongue
angry angry

Flashaldrin:

lol, using archimedes principle of displacement, which states that 'any floating object displaces its own weight of fluid' you calculate the weight of real gold of the same volume with the crown, then immerse the crown in the bowl, it should be able to displace the same volume of water calculated. If less then sauer should be searched thoroughly cheesy
phoneflasher, your answer is not totally correct. You using the right principle, but not the right explanation! Where do you get "real gold of the same volume with the crown"? how do you get "real gold of the same volume with the crown"?
Note: the cost of making another crown out of complete gold is very high, so that's not to be considered.
Plus, the crown is not going to float? so, where did you get "any floating object displaces its own weight of fluid"?
I'm not satisfied with the answer! It's not thorough and not detailed. So, before you search me, search yourself first! undecided
Re: Maths Tricks, Questions And Brain Teasers by Nobody: 7:27am On Jan 23, 2012
gendebs:

sowee i wanted to ans dis question. 6times
cool!
Re: Maths Tricks, Questions And Brain Teasers by Nobody: 7:29am On Jan 23, 2012
jamace:
8 and 46
I do hope you know this answer is very incorrect! undecided
Re: Maths Tricks, Questions And Brain Teasers by Nobody: 7:40am On Jan 23, 2012
8 bricklayers can complete a bricklaying job in 17 days. Flashaldrin, a bricklayer himself, brings 15 more of his colleagues to join the team 5 days after work started on the job. How many more days are required to complete the job, if the 16 join in?
Re: Maths Tricks, Questions And Brain Teasers by Nobody: 7:58am On Jan 23, 2012
A rich merchant had collected many gold coins. He did not want anybody to know about them. One day, his wife asked, "How many gold coins do we have?"
After pausing a moment, he replied, "Well! If I divide the coins into two unequal numbers, then 69 times the difference between the two numbers equals the difference between the squares of the two numbers."
The wife looked puzzled. Can you help the merchant's wife by finding out how many gold coins they have?
Re: Maths Tricks, Questions And Brain Teasers by jackpot(f): 8:16am On Jan 23, 2012
@sauer
what's your answer to that question i attempted. The A-E stuff
Re: Maths Tricks, Questions And Brain Teasers by Nobody: 8:21am On Jan 23, 2012
^^^you correct! no mind me wink
Re: Maths Tricks, Questions And Brain Teasers by jamace(m): 10:03am On Jan 23, 2012
8 bricklayers can complete a bricklaying job in 17 days. Flashaldrin, a bricklayer himself, brings 15 more of his colleagues to join the team 5 days after work started on the job. How many more days are required to complete the job, if the 16 join in?

One day.
Re: Maths Tricks, Questions And Brain Teasers by Flashaldrin(m): 11:49am On Jan 23, 2012
sauer:

^^^you correct! no mind me wink
i know you will still tell me that at some point, hope i still get my something nice wink
sauer:

phoneflasher, your answer is not totally correct. You using the right principle, but not the right explanation! Where do you get "real gold of the same volume with the crown"? how do you get "real gold of the same volume with the crown"?
Note: the cost of making another crown out of complete gold  is very high, so that's not to be considered.
Plus, the crown is not going to float?  so, where did you get "any floating object displaces its own weight of fluid"?
I'm not satisfied with the answer! It's not thorough and not detailed. So, before you search me, search yourself first! undecided
i know its not going to float, i just quoted the principle, the main is that its gonna displace its own weight of fluid.

ok make i tell you how archimedes take do im own, so you go do am like that. . . .
put a weight of gold equal to that of the crown, and known to be pure, into the bowl of water which will be filled with water to the brim. Then the gold would be removed and the golden crown put in, in its place. An alloy of lighter bronze would increase the bulk of the crown and cause the bowl to overflow.

oya let the searching begin!! tongue tongue
Re: Maths Tricks, Questions And Brain Teasers by Flashaldrin(m): 11:54am On Jan 23, 2012
sauer:

A rich merchant had collected many gold coins. He did not want anybody to know about them. One day, his wife asked, "How many gold coins do we have?"
After pausing a moment, he replied, "Well! If I divide the coins into two unequal numbers, then 69 times the difference between the two numbers equals the difference between the squares of the two numbers."
The wife looked puzzled. Can you help the merchant's wife by finding out how many gold coins they have?
69(x-y)=x^2-y^2

=(x+y)(x-y)

therefore cancelling (x-y)

x+ y= 69

therefore he has 69 gold coins.
Re: Maths Tricks, Questions And Brain Teasers by Flashaldrin(m): 12:05pm On Jan 23, 2012
sauer:

8 bricklayers can complete a bricklaying job in 17 days. suya, a bricklayer himself, brings 15 more of his colleagues to join the team 5 days after work started on the job. How many more days are required to complete the job, if the 16 join in?
Total effort required by 8 bricklayers for 17 days =8 × 17 = 136 man-days.

Initial effort by 8 bricklayers for 5 days = 8 × 5 = 40 man-days.

Job still requires 136 − 40 = 96 man-days, and there are 24 bricklayers available to do it.

Additional effort required by 24 bricklayers for 96 man-days = 96 / 24 = 4 days.

Thus, 4 more days are required to complete the bricklaying job.

provided the men dont feel the need to eat suya undecided
Re: Maths Tricks, Questions And Brain Teasers by Nobody: 8:23pm On Jan 23, 2012
Flashaldrin:

Total effort required by 8 bricklayers for 17 days =8 × 17 = 136 man-days.

Initial effort by 8 bricklayers for 5 days = 8 × 5 = 40 man-days.

Job still requires 136 − 40 = 96 man-days, and there are 24 bricklayers available to do it.

Additional effort required by 24 bricklayers for 96 man-days = 96 / 24 = 4 days.

Thus, 4 more days are required to complete the bricklaying job.

provided the men dont feel the need to eat suya undecided
cool. U try. . . .small! tongue - - clap for yourself for getting this cheap question. A harder one is coming along!

Flashaldrin:

69(x-y)=x^2-y^2

=(x+y)(x-y)

therefore cancelling (x-y)

x+ y= 69

therefore he has 69 gold coins.
not totally correct! angry
Re: Maths Tricks, Questions And Brain Teasers by Nobody: 8:25pm On Jan 23, 2012
Flashaldrin:

i know you will still tell me that at some point, hope i still get my something nice wink
No! you wont!

Flashaldrin:

i know its not going to float, i just quoted the principle, the main is that its gonna displace its own weight of fluid.

ok make i tell you how archimedes take do im own, so you go do am like that. . . .
put a weight of gold equal to that of the crown, and known to be pure, into the bowl of water which will be filled with water to the brim. Then the gold would be removed and the golden crown put in, in its place. An alloy of lighter bronze would increase the bulk of the crown and cause the bowl to overflow.

oya let the searching begin!! tongue tongue
as smart as you appear to be, you still have this totally wrong! I told ya, there is no available "weight of gold equal to the crown". The crown is shapeless. HOw do you expect the investigator to find gold of same volume!?
Re: Maths Tricks, Questions And Brain Teasers by Nobody: 8:25pm On Jan 23, 2012
jamace:

One day.
Wrong! Consult Flashtorchlight!
Re: Maths Tricks, Questions And Brain Teasers by Nobody: 6:55am On Jan 24, 2012
No one has yet answered this. To bad no lady gets a kisss!

From earlier:

Maggie Mathematical has five sons. One is called Alpha, another is called Beta, the third is called Gamma and the fourth is called Fred. What is the fifth son's name?

Thanks all!

correct answer to this question gets "something nice!"
Re: Maths Tricks, Questions And Brain Teasers by Nobody: 7:24am On Jan 24, 2012
You attended a chess tournament and saw varying chess boards between every two incredibly attentive players. So, you were thinking. . . hmmm, if i had a 7 × 7 checkered square board (i.e., a 7 × 7 chess board), how many rectangles would there be in total? Note: a square is also a special type of rectangle, so you want to count the square too!
Re: Maths Tricks, Questions And Brain Teasers by Nobody: 7:56am On Jan 24, 2012
A large water tank has two inlet pipes (a large one and a small one) and one outlet pipe. It takes 2 hours to fill the tank with the large inlet pipe. On the other hand, it takes 6 hours to fill the tank with the small inlet pipe. The outlet pipe allows the full tank to be emptied in 8 hours.
What fraction of the tank (initially half-full) will be filled in 0.46 hours if all three pipes are in operation?
Re: Maths Tricks, Questions And Brain Teasers by emofine2(f): 11:38am On Jan 25, 2012
sauer:

Nah! Wrong! Please try harder, I feel like kissing  grin

Just provide the answer (if any) to the wayo question already. This riddle has gotten stale angry
I even suspect you sef angry
Re: Maths Tricks, Questions And Brain Teasers by Nobody: 1:29pm On Jan 25, 2012
Re: Maths Tricks, Questions And Brain Teasers by emofine2(f): 3:58pm On Jan 25, 2012
. . .come on. . .whisper the answer to me embarassed
Re: Maths Tricks, Questions And Brain Teasers by Nobody: 5:07pm On Jan 25, 2012
bring your cheek close, let me do you the favour! tongue
Re: Maths Tricks, Questions And Brain Teasers by Brisingr(m): 6:59pm On Jan 25, 2012
oga sauer if the ans is not WHAT den what is ?
Re: Maths Tricks, Questions And Brain Teasers by emofine2(f): 7:09pm On Jan 25, 2012
sauer:

bring your cheek close, let me do you the favour! tongue

*rests her left cheek on his right shoulder* oya spill angry tongue

Brisingr:

oga sauer if the ans is not WHAT den what is ?

maybe he no know the answer sef tongue
Re: Maths Tricks, Questions And Brain Teasers by kariolality: 7:16pm On Jan 25, 2012
A boy bought 2pen and 6books for 170naira and then later on bought 1pen and 2books for 60naira, find the cost of a pen and a book, undecided
Re: Maths Tricks, Questions And Brain Teasers by Nobody: 9:50pm On Jan 25, 2012
sauer:

No one has yet answered this. To bad no lady gets a kisss!

From earlier:

Thanks all!

correct answer to this question gets "something nice!"
You guys are so dumb o! (yes, let me revel in calling you dumb! tongue ). I posted the question twice, and provided the answer those two times, for specific reasons. Those who visited the internet in search of answers must be so disappointed by now! grin grin

There was a question, "What is the fifth son's name?"; and there was an answer "Thanks all!" cheesy

Satisfied?
Re: Maths Tricks, Questions And Brain Teasers by Nobody: 9:52pm On Jan 25, 2012
kariolality:

A boy bought 2pen and 6books for 170naira and then later on bought 1pen and 2books for 60naira, find the cost of a pen and a book, undecided
a pen is 10 naira and a book is 25 naira
Re: Maths Tricks, Questions And Brain Teasers by Nobody: 9:55pm On Jan 25, 2012
A large water tank has two inlet pipes (a large one and a small one) and one outlet pipe. It takes 2 hours to fill the tank with the large inlet pipe. On the other hand, it takes 6 hours to fill the tank with the small inlet pipe. The outlet pipe allows the full tank to be emptied in 8 hours.
What fraction of the tank (initially half-full) will be filled in 0.46 hours if all three pipes are in operation?
Re: Maths Tricks, Questions And Brain Teasers by LaParisienne(f): 11:40pm On Jan 25, 2012
sauer:

I was expecting rocket science, Herr Einstein angry
Re: Maths Tricks, Questions And Brain Teasers by Nobody: 11:59pm On Jan 25, 2012
Herr Einstein, ms Sarkozy? get rocket science when I receive an invite tongue
Re: Maths Tricks, Questions And Brain Teasers by emofine2(f): 9:35am On Jan 26, 2012
sauer:

You guys are so dumb o! (yes, let me revel in calling you dumb!  tongue ). I posted the question twice, and provided the answer those two times, for specific reasons.

There was a question, "What is the fifth son's name?"; and there was an answer "Thanks all!"  cheesy

Satisfied?

tongue embarassed

sauer:
Those who visited the internet in search of answers must be so disappointed by now!  grin grin

Lol.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (19) (Reply)

Rag Day In Madonna University. (photos) / UNILAG Responds To A Post About Professor That Flogged Students On Nairaland / The Inscription On Placards Used By JAMB Protesters (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.