Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,352 members, 7,808,229 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 09:08 AM

Audi B5 420-R: The Build. - Car Talk (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Audi B5 420-R: The Build. (69817 Views)

Audi B5 420-R DTM: The Build / The Official Audi B5 RS4 Avant Thread! / Official Audi B5 RS4 "Outlaw" Sedans Around The World Thread (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (15) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Audi B5 420-R: The Build. by skyfall: 10:14am On Jan 17, 2013
Good job, Siena. I'm learning a lot from you, for free. I think you should be teaching in an auto academy. Or do you do that already?
Re: Audi B5 420-R: The Build. by Olisa4all: 3:21pm On Jan 25, 2013
skyfall: Good job, Siena. I'm learning a lot from you, for free. I think you should be teaching in an auto academy. Or do you do that already?
seconded, he needs a protégé in my humble opinion grin
Re: Audi B5 420-R: The Build. by skyfall: 10:29pm On Jan 26, 2013
@Siena, you can set up something like Eric here http://www.ericthecarguy.com/
Re: Audi B5 420-R: The Build. by Nobody: 11:43pm On Jan 26, 2013
skyfall: @Siena, you can set up something like Eric here http://www.ericthecarguy.com/

That's interesting bro. Thanks for the link. smiley
Re: Audi B5 420-R: The Build. by ebeano(m): 10:24am On Jan 28, 2013
falling in love with the brand Audi. thanks to this thread by Siena.

so inspiring seeing how cars are made. thanks Siena
Re: Audi B5 420-R: The Build. by Nobody: 11:09pm On Jan 30, 2013
^^^ Thanks bro!
Re: Audi B5 420-R: The Build. by Olisa4all: 2:09pm On Aug 15, 2013
we're patiently waiting
Re: Audi B5 420-R: The Build. by Nobody: 8:04pm On Aug 16, 2013
Olisa4all: we're patiently waiting

Patience is key, bro. I can assure you, it'll be worth the effort. smiley
Re: Audi B5 420-R: The Build. by auhanson(m): 11:05pm On Aug 16, 2013
Siena: The main unit, the heart of the project. 4,2 V8 2 x DOHC 32V. It makes 340 bhp and 420 Nm torque in stock trim. More importantly, this motor revs to a heady 7,000 rpm, pretty high for a V8. There are plans to squeeze more out of the S8 motor, but later. Pictures:

Dude, this is so fascinating, how i wish i could get a donor vehicle and start a similar project with my benz. I'm following this project wt keen interest
Re: Audi B5 420-R: The Build. by Sequoia(m): 3:16pm On Sep 03, 2013
this has been a fascinating journey.

Kudos and we look forward to seeing the finished work.

Regards,
S
Re: Audi B5 420-R: The Build. by Nobody: 10:06pm On Nov 15, 2014
After an extremely long break, I am moving on with m Audi A4 Quattro DTM race car, showing her some much needed love.

The Audi S8 4.2 V8 2xDOHC 32V motor is coming back out, making way for a later 2005 Audi 4.2 V8 2xDOHC 40V powerplant. I had this change of mind due to a number of reasons, which include a more flexible motor, more power, and best of all, there are supercharger kits for the 40V engines.

It is also DBW (Drive By Wire), Euro 4 compliant, and run by Bosch Motronic ME7.1.1 which can be flash upgraded via the OBD port.

I will keep you guys updated, with pictures to follow.

2 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Audi B5 420-R: The Build. by skyfall: 9:28pm On Nov 16, 2014
Cool! Following.
Re: Audi B5 420-R: The Build. by DrDre1(m): 4:04pm On Nov 17, 2014
This is good news. Congrats sir and looking forward to the updates as always
Re: Audi B5 420-R: The Build. by Nobody: 9:51pm On Apr 23, 2015
Sorry for the lack of updates guys, children take up loads of time! wink

Sunday the 26th April will see me embark on a 404 mile round trip, which will take 7 hours. The journey will see something very different end up here.

Any guesses? A clue: it's to do with THIS project.

Keep your eyes peeled. wink
Re: Audi B5 420-R: The Build. by Piyke: 10:21am On Apr 26, 2015
Siena:
Sorry for the lack of updates guys, children take up loads of time! wink

Sunday the 26th April will see me embark on a 404 mile round trip, which will take 7 hours. The journey will see something very different end up here.

Any guesses? A clue: it's to do with THIS project.

Keep your eyes peeled. wink

You'll now be fitting a Bugatti Veron engine cheesy kidding...
Hmmm....what will Siena be up to now?
Guess it has to do with fitting a yet more powerful engine than that previously planned. Right?
Re: Audi B5 420-R: The Build. by Nobody: 4:01pm On Apr 26, 2015
Piyke:
You'll now be fitting a Bugatti Veron engine cheesy kidding...
Hmmm....what will Siena be up to now?
Guess it has to do with fitting a yet more powerful engine than that previously planned. Right?

Incorrect sir. wink
Re: Audi B5 420-R: The Build. by Nobody: 4:39pm On Apr 26, 2015
Siena:

Incorrect sir. wink
Na W12 engine and gearbox with matching diff's you wan install na. cheesy
Re: Audi B5 420-R: The Build. by Nobody: 7:44pm On Apr 26, 2015
lomomike:

Na W12 engine and gearbox with matching diff's you wan install na. cheesy

Definitely not! cheesy
Re: Audi B5 420-R: The Build. by Nobody: 7:58pm On Apr 26, 2015
Well, to cut the suspense, I was approached by a gentleman who made me an offer for my truck. It was an offer I couldn't refuse, so I accepted, and the truck has found a new home. A shame I didn't finish the engine side, but hey, this is business. wink

We recently relocated, due to the demands of an expanding family (both human and cars!). My dilemma was how to transport my Audi A4 Quattro DTM car. As some may remember, I had a rethink on the engine choice, and decided to remove the S8 4.2 V8 32V motor, in favour of a newer 4.2 V8 40V power plant.

Transporting my DTM car would cost a fair bit, remember this is a 1995 pre-facelift Audi A4 Quattro B5. Facelift cars have come down in price. So I decided to break up my pre-facelift car, and replace it with a 2000 facelift model. Of course, I removed the V8 motor and 6-speed manual gearbox.

Transporting my DTM car would cost pretty much the same as me purchasing a replacement facelift car, so it was a no-brainer.

With my truck gone, I was left with 2 V8 engines, and of course, a 6-speed manual. So the search for a new project car was on, and after a week of negotiation with a seller, I bagged one.

It's a 2000 model, an A4 2.5 V6 TDI Quattro Sport, 6-speed manual. After a round trip of 416 miles today, she's sitting on my driveway.
Re: Audi B5 420-R: The Build. by Nobody: 8:22pm On Apr 26, 2015
Why use a diesel as a base for my project?

The answer's simple. It's the only B5 Audi bar the S4, that comes with a 6-speed manual. wink

So effectively, I have all the hardware to build 2 very different B5 A4 Quattro V8's. My old Orange car was a factory 5-speed manual, which I converted to 6-speed. I could have gone the same route, but it would mean buying an older car. My older car was a 2.6 V6, and the only petrol-engined B5 bar the S4 to come with the correct rear differential to match a 6-speed gearbox.

6-speed cars have a final drive ratio of 4.11:1. The 2.8 Quattro is a 5-speed, with a final drive ratio of 3.89:1, the 1.8T Quattro is a 3.72:1.So using any of these cars would mean I would have to source a replacement rear differential from a 2.6 Quattro or an S4.

So the TDI route made sense.

In the next few weeks, I will be sourcing an older A4 2.6 V6 Quattro Sport. This will be a fully stripped-out DTM car, with a full roll cage, plumbed-in fire extinguisher. This will be finished off in the colours and livery, either of the German Touring Cars (DTM) or the British Touring Car Championship (BTCC). These were all based upon the 1995/6 model Audi A4 Quattro B5, hence my choice of an older model for this. Of course, this will be running the S8 4.2 V8 32V, and 6-speed manual. It will also sport the BTCC front bumper splitter, rear wing and 9"x18" OZ Superturismo wheels.

The new facelift TDI will be pretty much the same body spec as my old Orange B5, so OEM Audi RS4 bodywork. This will be semi-stripped out, though not as hardcore as the BTCC car, and will have a roll cage in the rear only. No plumbed-in fire extinguishers either. The power plant will be the Audi 4.2 V8 40V, mated to the existing 6-speed manual, though I will pull it out for a refresh first.

I'll post pictures of the new arrival shortly. The previous car, N379TPF has gone to the wreckers.
Re: Audi B5 420-R: The Build. by Nobody: 8:47pm On Apr 26, 2015
The new arrival. All she needs right now is a damn good clean. And the exhaust rear silencer needs the original, with twin tail-pipes re-fitted. But hey, she was a bargain, and the whole exhaust will be replaced with a stainless version anyway.

Re: Audi B5 420-R: The Build. by Nobody: 11:19pm On May 07, 2015
06th May 2015:

I picked up my 2nd Audi A4 Quattro B5.

She's a beaut, too good to strip down for a balls-out racer. This one will be modelled along the lines of my old Orange B5. The one pictured above will be a lightweight, stripped-down race car.

Pictures to follow shortly.
Re: Audi B5 420-R: The Build. by skyfall: 6:52am On May 08, 2015
Hi Siena

How do you usually get good buyers for your cars? Do you put them on eBay or it's just by word of mouth?
Re: Audi B5 420-R: The Build. by Nobody: 8:13am On May 08, 2015
skyfall:
Hi Siena

How do you usually get good buyers for your cars? Do you put them on eBay or it's just by word of mouth?

Word of mouth. With the truck, I was often approached in the street, when stuck in traffic. smiley
Re: Audi B5 420-R: The Build. by Mojibola(m): 9:40am On May 08, 2015
Hi Siena, sorry for this little digression, I've actually been trying to get through to you over BBM, I couldn't get a response.
I'm a mechanic (just starting up) and working on a 2002 Rav4 with an auto tranny, as soon as I shift the gear lever to either reverse or drive, it jerks and its really quite much. So I scanned it, got 3 codes out of the system, P0768, P0758, P0753. Apparently the shifts solenoids are gone. I want to confirm if replacing the solenoids or the valve body could solve the problem or a total replacement of the whole tranny box or should I rather ask if this problem could have damaged any mechanical components in the box. I really want to fix this right as this is like my first main job.
Re: Audi B5 420-R: The Build. by chuka5000(m): 10:53am On May 08, 2015
Siena:
06th May 2015:

I picked up my 2nd Audi A4 Quattro B5.

She's a beaut, too good to strip down for a balls-out racer. This one will be modelled along the lines of my old Orange B5. The one pictured above will be a lightweight, stripped-down race car.

Pictures to follow shortly.

Hi siena,
I really love this audi project
But please can you give us a detailed info on tge following

the speed (0-62 miles)
The max speed at a 135 degree curve
The brake strength
The max speed u can achieve with the gear at one (1)
Re: Audi B5 420-R: The Build. by Nobody: 2:16pm On May 08, 2015
chuka5000:
Hi siena,
I really love this audi project
But please can you give us a detailed info on tge following

the speed (0-62 miles)
The max speed at a 135 degree curve
The brake strength
The max speed u can achieve with the gear at one (1)

I guess you haven't read through this project, huh?
Re: Audi B5 420-R: The Build. by Nobody: 9:31pm On May 08, 2015
As previously stated, I picked up another B4 Audi A4 Quattro Sport.

My plan was to have both the cars with V8 transplants, and fully stripped out to save weight. One is destined to have similar styling to my old Orange B5, i.e RS4 Widebody. The other will be closely based upon either the Audi A4 Quattro's used in the German Touring Car Championship (DTM) or the British Touring Car Championship (BTCC).

When I saw the second A4 in the sales advert, it was difficult to work out the condition, as it wasn't washed, and the seller took his pictures with a camera phone - a definite no-no if you wish to impress prospective buyers. So at this point, my plan to strip it to it's bare essentials was still in force....

....until I saw it in the flesh, and gave it a wash.
Re: Audi B5 420-R: The Build. by Nobody: 9:47pm On May 08, 2015
to say I was blown away was an understatement.

The colour is actually one of Audi's Lifestyle colours. Available to special order only, you will not find it in any of Audi's brochures. It's officially called Kingfisher Blue, though in the sales literature, it's known as Pelican Blue. Audi's Lifestyle colour range also included Inca Orange Pearl, which I used on my old B5.

This is the first project car that will retain the original colour. And the interior is too good to tear out. This car will be the recipient of the Audi A8 4.2 V8 40V engine, mated to my built 6-speed manual transmission. The interior will remain, with some extras.

My other B5 is a 2.5 TDI V6 Quattro, in Santorin Blue. It's a lower spec to my Pelican Blue car, so this will be the stripped-out race car. This has a 6-speed manual transmission as standard. My Audi S8 4.2 V8 32V engine will be installed in this car, and then I'll be looking at the body, wheels, suspension, brakes etc. to replicate the Touring Cars Audi campaigned in the mid 1990's. Colour choice is still to be confirmed.
Re: Audi B5 420-R: The Build. by Nobody: 10:08pm On May 08, 2015
Pictures of my recently acquired B5:

Re: Audi B5 420-R: The Build. by Nobody: 10:44pm On May 08, 2015
Wow great work, someday i will achieve my dream of getting a VW Kombi Split Screen done.

Following this thread.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (15) (Reply)

Reliability Of C180 and W202's IN GENERAL / Best Oil Grade To Use For Nigerian Car? / Artega Gt, A Car I Saw Today At School, I Am Speechless( Veiw Pic

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.