Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,006 members, 7,806,923 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 07:03 AM

Audi B5 420-R: The Build. - Car Talk (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Audi B5 420-R: The Build. (69809 Views)

Audi B5 420-R DTM: The Build / The Official Audi B5 RS4 Avant Thread! / Official Audi B5 RS4 "Outlaw" Sedans Around The World Thread (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) ... (15) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Audi B5 420-R: The Build. by Nobody: 11:54pm On Jul 10, 2015
^^^Thanks Mikky.

Things are falling together. Today, I placed an order for an air compressor, with a 150 litre tank. Air tools make working from a domestic garage so much easier.
Re: Audi B5 420-R: The Build. by samir101ng(m): 6:12pm On Jul 11, 2015
Go Sienna Go !!! grin grin

Still saving up for my Audi A4 2010-2012. cool

Trying to get the right combination of trim, color and price.
Re: Audi B5 420-R: The Build. by Nobody: 12:39pm On Jul 12, 2015
samir101ng:
Go Sienna Go !!! grin grin

Still saving up for my Audi A4 2010-2012. cool

Trying to get the right combination of trim, color and price.

Thanks buddy.
Re: Audi B5 420-R: The Build. by Nobody: 1:15pm On Jul 12, 2015
Siena the last pictures on page 7 are not loading on my phone but the pictures @ the top of d same page 7 are loading and very clear.
Re: Audi B5 420-R: The Build. by Nobody: 2:16pm On Jul 12, 2015
dumo1:
Siena the last pictures on page 7 are not loading on my phone but the pictures @ the top of d same page 7 are loading and very clear.

I've just viewed the images on page 7 with my phone. It could be your phone browser's setting.

What phone / browser are you using?
Re: Audi B5 420-R: The Build. by Nobody: 5:47pm On Jul 12, 2015
Siena:

I've just viewed the images on page 7 with my phone. It could be your phone browser's setting.

What phone / browser are you using?
opera mini browser.
Re: Audi B5 420-R: The Build. by Nobody: 8:30pm On Jul 15, 2015
dumo1:

opera mini browser.

Sorry I'm getting back to you so late.

I installed Opera Mini on both my iPad and iPhone, all the pictures are viewable. Perhaps you need to clear your browser's cache.
Re: Audi B5 420-R: The Build. by Nobody: 10:29pm On Jul 15, 2015
@Seina that is one big Monster Audi v8 engine. Those Germans sure know how to make machines for the road.
Re: Audi B5 420-R: The Build. by Nobody: 12:17am On Jul 16, 2015
dumo1:
@Seina that is one big Monster Audi v8 engine. Those Germans sure know how to make machines for the road.

That's a fact. The engine is now mounted on my engine stand.

Are you able to view all of he pictures now? Did you clear your browser's cache?
Re: Audi B5 420-R: The Build. by Nobody: 7:21am On Jul 16, 2015
Siena:

That's a fact. The engine is now mounted on my engine stand.

Are you able to view all of he pictures now? Did you clear your browser's cache?

Yes Sir i had to use Google Chrome browser before i could view all the pictures.
Re: Audi B5 420-R: The Build. by mikkyphp(m): 10:17am On Jul 16, 2015
@Siena, please update with new pictures. am eager to see the progress so far
Re: Audi B5 420-R: The Build. by Nobody: 2:42pm On Jul 16, 2015
mikkyphp:
@Siena, please update with new pictures. am eager to see the progress so far

I will do so. Lots of work taking place in the background too. wink
Re: Audi B5 420-R: The Build. by Nobody: 10:09pm On Jul 16, 2015
Update 16th July 2015:

I did some minor maintenance on my BFM motor. The left bank valve cover gasket had a slight oil leak at the rear, so I decided to replace both.

Both valve covers are in great shape, with just the smallest hint of the usual aluminium corrosion on the inside, close to the last retaining bolts. I am considering getting both painted in a body shop, but I'm kind of debating whether I should stick with the OEM Audi silver, or go with Pelican blue. Both will contrast well with the red coilpacks.

It's surprising how clean an engine can look in the bay. Mine looked great, but lots of hidden grime became evident once it was pulled, and bolted to my engine stand. I obtained some engine degreaser - the professional stuff used by auto valet / detailing shops, rather than the rubbish foam in a can. 40 minutes later, it came up pretty good.

Now that it's all clean, I'm tempted to keep the valve covers grey, just get them refreshed. Could anyone photoshop them Pelican, or close to Pelican blue? It'll give me an idea how the engine would look.
Re: Audi B5 420-R: The Build. by Nobody: 10:17pm On Jul 16, 2015
Since I have opted (as always) to run an 01E 6-speed, there is one vital ingredient missing. I've got a built 01E from a 2001 S4, B5 RS4 propshaft, shifter from the same car. However, I don't have the correct rear differential.

My 2.8 rear differential is a 3.89:1. The 01E final drive is 4.11:1. The only B5 gasoline model this side of an S4, with the correct final drive is a 2.6 V6 12V Quattro. So that's where I'm concentrating my search. A B5 S4/RS4 single mass flywheel has been ordered, with a hybrid clutch set-up. RS4 pressure plate, with a sprung hub 240mm friction disc.

To begin modifying the D3 A8 engine harness, I would prefer to purchase an engine harness from a 2.8 30V DBW (same as mine). This is mainly because I don't want to ruin the harness in my car, as I would rather sell my APR 30V motor complete with the ECU and harness. This will also allow me to build the hybrid harness without taking my car off the road.

This weekend, I'm going to pull the receiving harness from my D3, the section the engine harness plugs connect to. At least, I can start labelling the wires, ready to solder to the APR connectors.
Re: Audi B5 420-R: The Build. by Nobody: 10:22pm On Jul 16, 2015
chisos! C ochara brand new engine. ladipo boys will smile if they lay hands on this engine. Money don come be that..
Re: Audi B5 420-R: The Build. by Nobody: 10:57pm On Jul 16, 2015
Just a quick photoshop, courtesy of MetalMan, from another forum. My mind's pretty much made up to have the valve covers painted in Pelican blue, to match my car:

What do you think guys - have the valve covers repainted in the standard grey / silver, or Pelican blue?
Re: Audi B5 420-R: The Build. by skyfall: 7:40am On Jul 17, 2015
Siena:
Just a quick photoshop, courtesy of MetalMan, from another forum. My mind's pretty much made up to have the valve covers painted in Pelican blue, to match my car:

What do you think guys - have the valve covers repainted in the standard grey / silver, or Pelican blue?

The pelican blue stands out. I vote for it.
Re: Audi B5 420-R: The Build. by Nobody: 10:51am On Jul 17, 2015
I stand for the original colour. colour of car blue, engine colour blue. Nah! too much mixtures of blue.
Re: Audi B5 420-R: The Build. by Nobody: 3:29pm On Jul 17, 2015
I'm definitely going with blue.

Too much mixtures of blue, Dumo? It's the same as the car, no mixture there. It's no different to a silver car having this engine as standard, meaning the valve covers will be the same as the outside - silver.
Re: Audi B5 420-R: The Build. by Antfarm: 8:50pm On Jul 17, 2015
Good day Siena i'm currently working on an over due project and was wondering if you can help me out answering a few questions thank you car is 2002 3.0 6spd QM B6 bad engine and trans doñar car is 1.8TQM 2001 B5i see yo have pics of the drive shafts an was hoping for some help
Re: Audi B5 420-R: The Build. by Nobody: 10:00pm On Jul 17, 2015
Antfarm:
Good day Siena i'm currently working on an over due project and was wondering if you can help me out answering a few questions thank you car is 2002 3.0 6spd QM B6 bad engine and trans doñar car is 1.8TQM 2001 B5i see yo have pics of the drive shafts an was hoping for some help

Hey bud!

Good to see more Nigerians getting into projects / builds. Just ask whatever you'd like to know.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Audi B5 420-R: The Build. by Antfarm: 10:11pm On Jul 17, 2015
Does the drive shaft from my 3.0 bolt to my b5 01a 5spd I can't really check at the moment because I have bad rainy weather where I'm located but I do have the engines and transmissions out and is there a place that I can buy bell housings for transmissions because the 01E transmission I have the bell housing is ripped but I figure it's rebuild the pool or the transmission might still be good
Re: Audi B5 420-R: The Build. by Nobody: 10:34am On Jul 19, 2015
Antfarm:
Does the drive shaft from my 3.0 bolt to my b5 01a 5spd I can't really check at the moment because I have bad rainy weather where I'm located but I do have the engines and transmissions out and is there a place that I can buy bell housings for transmissions because the 01E transmission I have the bell housing is ripped but I figure it's rebuild the pool or the transmission might still be good

Please post your number here, so I can add you to the Audi Whatsapp group.
Re: Audi B5 420-R: The Build. by proo212(m): 4:01pm On Jul 19, 2015
Hello Siena,

Quick question slightly off topic. I have an issue with my oil pressure switch on A2 1.4 petrol. Its leaking oil so bad and tried to change it last week only to find out that the block has split somewhat. The local machining guys will not weld it (too risky, not enough meat so to speak), was told i could use liquid metal to plug the hole and with the oil pressure switch in place.

Any other ideas?

Many Thanks
Re: Audi B5 420-R: The Build. by Nobody: 4:20pm On Jul 19, 2015
Proo, I would replace the block. It's aluminium, and that crack will slowly creep past whatever you use to seal it.
Re: Audi B5 420-R: The Build. by proo212(m): 11:50pm On Jul 19, 2015
Many Thanks for the prompt reply. I already reconditioned the head a couple of years ago. Not sure i want to go that route of replacing the block. Pity, cause apart from this issue, its a solid little run around thats served me for 3 years cry
Re: Audi B5 420-R: The Build. by Nobody: 12:25am On Jul 20, 2015
In the past, when I have carried out V8 swaps, with the exception of just 1 (I have done 4 since 1999) my method has been to throw the motor into the engine bay, then sort out the wiring later. The exception has been the one swap I carried out, with aftermarket ECU and custom built harness.

This time, I am doing things differently. I am building a hybrid engine harness. Remember, I am using a different motor to what I'm used to - a 4.2 V8 40V from a 2005 Audi A8 (BFM). And as such, the factory harness has absolutely no relationship with a B5 chassis. Neither is it remotely related to the harness in a B6/B7/C5, which are closer to that of the B5. At least, the C5 is.

To this end, I have just purchased an engine wiring harness, from a 2000 B5 S4. This should be with me by the 21st July 2015. I will then cut it up, using it as an "adapter" to mate the D3 harness to the B5 chassis connectors. The D3 harness plugs also mate to the chassis connectors on the left, while the same in a RHD B5 are on the right. I will be using the D3's chassis connectors and a length of the harness to make up the desired length. So making the hybrid harness plug and play into a full facelift B5.

Some may ask, why not simply use my APR 30V harness, instead of buying an S4 harness? The answer is to avoid what most of us don't like - excessive downtime. I can keep my Pelican blue B5 30V Quattro as my daily, right up until the time comes to install the BFM V8 in the bay. In theory, I could bench run the V8, before the swap, since there's no immobiliser to contend with. I could have used any 2000-2001 B5 harness, the S4 one just came up at the right price.

I have purchased the correct black cloth electrical tape, to match the Audi's OEM insulation, and I'll post pictures as the harness work commences.
Re: Audi B5 420-R: The Build. by Nobody: 10:12pm On Jul 21, 2015
I pulled my valve covers last night, and dropped then at the paint shop this arvo. They should be ready by Thursday.

In the meantime, I'm going to start cleaning up the aluminium components. I would normally have to sand down rusty steel components, and then paint them. Or even replace if badly pitted. In this case though, there's no rusty steel, the engine is pretty clean. The only steel parts that need attention are the crank pulley, and a couple of the idlers.

Even the starter motor looks like new.
Re: Audi B5 420-R: The Build. by Piyke: 2:24pm On Jul 23, 2015
Siena, I really rep your attention to detail. Very impressive. Keep it up!
Re: Audi B5 420-R: The Build. by Nobody: 5:38pm On Jul 23, 2015
Piyke:
Siena, I really rep your attention to detail. Very impressive. Keep it up!

Thanks bud!

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) ... (15) (Reply)

Reliability Of C180 and W202's IN GENERAL / Have You Seen This Innoson IVM 6857 Bus Before? (photos) / Artega Gt, A Car I Saw Today At School, I Am Speechless( Veiw Pic

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.