Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,193 members, 7,780,326 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 12:30 PM

Audi B5 420-R: The Build. - Car Talk (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Audi B5 420-R: The Build. (69718 Views)

Audi B5 420-R DTM: The Build / The Official Audi B5 RS4 Avant Thread! / Official Audi B5 RS4 "Outlaw" Sedans Around The World Thread (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (15) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Audi B5 420-R: The Build. by ba7man(m): 6:20pm On Sep 28, 2012
Siena:

Thanks for your comment bro. Building a Nigerian-branded car will require starting from scratch. Even if the engines are out-sourced, the bodyshell is the hardest part. But who knows what the future holds?

As per the acceleration times, stock Audi S8 times as per Audi's figures below:

Audi S8 4,2 V8 32V, 340 bhp 5-speed tiptronic, 1,858 kgs, 0 - 62 mph (100 km/h): 6,6 secs.
Audi S8 4,2 V8 32V, 340 bhp 6-speed manual, 1,750 kgs, 0 - 62 mph (100 km/h): 5,4 secs.

Audi S8 5-speed Tiptronic power-to-weight ratio is 183 bhp / ton. (brake horse power divided by weight) so 340 hp / 1858 kgs.
Audi A4 B5 6-speed manual power-to-weight ratio is 340 bhp / ton. (brake horse power divided by weight) so 340 hp / 1000 kgs.

So I'm estimating 4,2 - 4,4 secs 0 - 62 mph. Next year, the S8 motor will be running a single turbo, in a rebuilt motor. Target power is 530 bhp. So power-to-weight ration will be 515 bhp per ton, assuming roughly a 30 kilo weight gain (turbocharger, pipework, charge cooler). So an estimate of 0 - 62 mph times will be sub-3 seconds on street tyres.

My aim is to build a sub-10 second car (quarter mile).
OH MY GAWD!!! That's a real scorcher you building there...I belive the Bugatti Veyron is about 630BHP/Tonne. I hope there's a way to put all that power down on the road cleanly while avoiding wheelspin. Mayb if I come over to the UK. U'll take me 4 a spin in it, I'm sure you do Trackdays.
Re: Audi B5 420-R: The Build. by Nobody: 6:27pm On Sep 28, 2012
ba7man: OH MY GAWD!!! That's a real scorcher you building there...I belive the Bugatti Veyron is about 630BHP/Tonne. I hope there's a way to put all that power down on the road cleanly while avoiding wheelspin. Mayb if I come over to the UK. U'll take me 4 a spin in it, I'm sure you do Trackdays.

The Bugatti Veyron 16,4 is 521 bhp / tonne.

Putting the power down cleanly won't be an issue, even in the wet with all-season tyres. Don't forget, I have the advantage of Quattro permanent AWD, with TORSEN central differential.
Re: Audi B5 420-R: The Build. by ba7man(m): 10:08pm On Sep 28, 2012
Siena:

The Bugatti Veyron 16,4 is 521 bhp / tonne.

Putting the power down cleanly won't be an issue, even in the wet with all-season tyres. Don't forget, I have the advantage of Quattro permanent AWD, with TORSEN central differential.
U'v said it all. I'll definitely have a good time following this thread. I'm an avid Audi fan too. Looking forward to purchasing an A5 1.8T Manual transmission by God's grace.
Re: Audi B5 420-R: The Build. by Nobody: 10:20pm On Sep 28, 2012
ba7man: U'v said it all. I'll definitely have a good time following this thread. I'm an avid Audi fan too. Looking forward to purchasing an A5 1.8T Manual transmission by God's grace.

The Audi A5 is an awesome car, in any guise. You'll be happy with one, just make sure it's Quattro! smiley
Re: Audi B5 420-R: The Build. by ba7man(m): 12:03pm On Sep 29, 2012
Siena:

The Audi A5 is an awesome car, in any guise. You'll be happy with one, just make sure it's Quattro! smiley
Thanks for the quattro advice sir.
Re: Audi B5 420-R: The Build. by Ngutor(m): 11:55am On Oct 01, 2012
More grease to your elbow Oga Siena. Wish I knew a quarter of what you know about cars. Well, thanks to you when I talk of cars now people shut up and listen even mechanics grin Thanks bro
Re: Audi B5 420-R: The Build. by Nobody: 12:00pm On Oct 01, 2012
Ngutor: More grease to your elbow Oga Siena. Wish I knew a quarter of what you know about cars. Well, thanks to you when I talk of cars now people shut up and listen even mechanics grin Thanks bro

No worries bro, glad you find my articles and write-ups useful.
Re: Audi B5 420-R: The Build. by Ngutor(m): 12:14pm On Oct 01, 2012
Siena:

No worries bro, glad you find my articles and write-ups useful.
Very useful. Left a question for you here https://www.nairaland.com/854337/auto-maintenance-issues-how-often/1
Re: Audi B5 420-R: The Build. by Nobody: 12:24pm On Oct 01, 2012
Ngutor:
Very useful. Left a question for you here https://www.nairaland.com/854337/auto-maintenance-issues-how-often/1

Response posted.
Re: Audi B5 420-R: The Build. by Nobody: 6:12pm On Oct 02, 2012
Update 02nd October 2012:

Today, between other jobs, I pulled my Audi A4 Quattro out, and attacked the spare wheel well aggressively, with an angle grinder, and electric jigsaw. Man, that spare wheel well is tough! At some points, it's actually double-skinned, and the jigsaw was struggling. However, my pal Mr Angle Grinder took no prisoners, hehehe. wink

Towards the rear, I ran into a bit of a snag - the gas tank. Now the gas tank on an Audi A4 quattro B5 pretty much follows the contours of the floor pan at the rear. It also follows the curve of the spare wheel well, in a distinctive arc. I realised my jigsaw was getting unpleasantly close to the plastic tank. Making a hole in the tank was the least of my worries, I was more concerned with the sparks from the jigsaw and cutting disc. If the fuel vapours escaped due to a perforation, and a careless spark ignited it, there would be an explosion.

The options then were to lower the gas tank. This however would mean dropping the rear differential. Bummer! angry The second option was to cut the rear section of the spare wheel well by hand, using nothing more than a good old-fashioned cold chisel and a club hammer. cool

I chose the second option. I never realised just how heavy the spare wheel well was. It weighed 9,75 kilos. Besides wanting to install the radiator in the rear of the car, whe weight-saving gained was worth the loss of this hunk of steel.

Pictures!

Re: Audi B5 420-R: The Build. by Nobody: 11:12pm On Oct 03, 2012
I just need to cut out the data sticker from the redundant well. I'm going to have a new one made, in the same dimensions, font and style. Three details however will be changed:

*Engine code.
*Trans code.
*Paint code.

It will be quite bare though, as pretty much all the options this car left the factory with, will be missing. wink
Re: Audi B5 420-R: The Build. by Nobody: 2:13pm On Oct 05, 2012
Update 05th October 2012:

At last, the clutch pressure plate for the D2 S8 32V (AHC) has been ordered. I was looking at uprated options, but I only seem to see uprated items for the 40V (AVP). And in traditional reseller fashion, none seem to be sure what the differences are.

My local dealer has been ace, they managed to waive the surcharge, as it's exchange. The surcharge is only £20, but every little saving helps, especially when you're spending a lot, buying B5 RS4 parts from the same source. :cool:

I should have the clutch pressure plate with me sometime next week. Once that's here, the engine can be mated to the transmission, and the lot bolted into the car.
Re: Audi B5 420-R: The Build. by Nobody: 10:59am On Oct 09, 2012
Update 09th October 2012:

My remote oil filter housing turned up today.

Very well crafted out of solid billet aluminium, it's better than the pictures on the purchase website conveyed, really pleased with it. It will accept an Audi S4 spin-off canister filter, or any other filter with 3/4 UNF fitting. Of course Audi will be my choice brand. wink

I shall be replacing the screw-in central oil tube with a custom-made longer one, as I'm going to run two oil coolers - an air-to-oil cooler sandwich plate, with thermostatic control. The thermostat will keep the oil no lower than 86 degrees. And I'll be runninbg an OEM Audi S4 water-cooled oil cooler.

My reasons for running both are simple - a water-cooled oil cooler also acts as a heat-exchanger. This means the oil will draw heat from the coolant, which aids warm-up times. Coolant generally heats up quicker than oil. However, it has its draw-backs. A heat exchanger works best at low to medium engine speeds, this makes it ideal for normal road use. Sustained high rpm can see the oil temperature rise more than is desirable on a race / track car.

An air-to-air oil cooler works best at higher road speeds, whereby the external matric can use air from the front of the car to cool the oil within. The thermostat in the sandwich plate will ensure the oil isn't over-cooled. Air-to-air oil coolers aren't very efficient at low speeds, unless you have room to mount a cooling fan on the matrix. Hence I'm combining both coolers, with both benefits.

Pictures!

Awaiting the arrival of the sandwich plate, Audi S4 heat exchanger and external matrix. The stainless braided oil lines will be custom made, once the engine and oil filter housing are mounted in the car.

#JusticeforAluu4
Re: Audi B5 420-R: The Build. by Nobody: 6:59pm On Oct 10, 2012
Update 10th October 2012:

My clutch pressure plate turned up, I got a call from my Audi dealership, to say it was here, so I made the trip down, to pick it up.

I thought it would be similar to that of the B5 S4 / RS4, but it's different. The diaphram springs are a lot stiffer, and at a different angle, so will have a greater clamping force. Fitted to the flywheel, it has a stack height of 85,0mm.

So pretty much ready to mount the lot to the engine, and then bolt the engine to the tranny. Next step will be to pull the 2,6 V6 12V engine and 5-speed manual tranny from the B5 A4 quattro, and clean up the bay. I also want to remove the secondary firewall, and prep the whole bay for paint, before the engine goes in. I'm painting the engine bay satin black.

#JusticeforAluu4
Re: Audi B5 420-R: The Build. by Nobody: 11:21pm On Oct 14, 2012
As this is going to be a road, as well as a track car, and in view of the fact the interior's completely gutted, I've decided to go further.

My initial plan was to remove the dash, chop it up, then reinstall just the portion that houses the instrument cluster. I've now had a change of plan - there'll be no dash whatsoever.

And in the interest of safety and good handling, I'm going to stiffen up the entire bodyshell. I'm having a full roll cage custom built, and welded in. This will be done after the New Year. The roll cage will be built to accommodate my race seat, a race seat for a front passenger who may wish to ride shotgun, and will also brace the rear-mounted radiator housing. Of course, with all the seat belts deleted, I'll be relying on full racing harnesses.

I was going to get rid of the ABS, but having checked with VOSA, the car won't pass an MOT. If ABS was an option on the Audi A4, I could get away with it. But as ABS was standard equipment on all Audi A4, it'll have to stay. Oh well.

#JusticeforAluu4
Re: Audi B5 420-R: The Build. by ba7man(m): 4:27pm On Oct 15, 2012
Hmmmmm....all this angle grinder and jigsaw talk makes me wanna run out nd do the same to my car. I'll ride in the boot of the finished car if there's no spare room shotgun provided i don't ruin the handling balance. Welldone sir.
Re: Audi B5 420-R: The Build. by Nobody: 10:20am On Oct 16, 2012
While awaiting a few bits and pieces, I decided to give the engine a bit of a clean-up.

The first parts I tackled, were the aluminum front timing belt covers. These were a standard grey, and looking a bit sorry for themselves. Of course, getting them prepared for paint involved removing them from the engine itself. The viscous fan assembly is fitted to the larger of the covers, on the right-hand side. The fan cam off okay, but the large 32mm nut proved a b1tch to remove.

I attacked it with everything I could throw at it - chisels, hammers, 32mm spanner, more hammering. It just wouldn't shift. In the end, my best friend came to the rescue - Mr Angle Grinder! grin

I had to literally chop the viscous clutch to bits, then grind the bearing down till it fell off. Then I ground the edges of the 32mm nut down, so I could slide off the belt pulley, which itself is held in place by three 10mm bolts. This then gave me access to the three all bolts that held the assembly to the timing cover.I think the heat from the constant grinding, and beating with a sledge hammer took its toll on the fan shaft bearing, as it feels rough, and no wonder! I priced up a new one from Audi - £257 + VAT!! I went with A8 Parts for a good used one heaps cheaper (thanks Dave!)

The hardest job was removing the spring-loaded belt tensioner from the cover, what a beast. I etched the covers, cleaned thoroughly with methylated spirit, before applying two coats of primer, followed by three coats of dark green gloss. This gives an idea what the car's new color's going to be... wink

I'll be removing and painting the rocker covers, the alternator, starter motor, crank pulley, then finally the block and intake manifold.

Pictures of the timing belt covers as they were on the engine, and after paint. Ignore the fancy aluminum crank pulley, that won't be used, as it will only fit the 40V motor.

Wait a minute - are those Naija colors I spot here? wink

#JusticeforAluu4
Re: Audi B5 420-R: The Build. by splendore(m): 4:39pm On Oct 18, 2012
i will follow this topic till the end ,you are a great inspiration ride on bro!
Re: Audi B5 420-R: The Build. by Nobody: 5:39pm On Oct 18, 2012
^^^Thanks bro. wink

#JusticeforAluu4
Re: Audi B5 420-R: The Build. by Nobody: 7:53pm On Oct 18, 2012
Update 17th October 2012:

As I can't determine if this engine has had a timing belt replacement, I decided to play it safe, and order a replacement.

When replacing a timing belt, everything that the belt rotates against MUST be replaced too. In the case of the Audi S8 4,2 V8, this means;

01) Timing belt.
02) Idler.
03) Tensioner.
04) Water pump.

If the rest of the belt's rotating assembly isn't replaced, you might as well leave the old belt in place, and tempt fate. A seized water pump or other rotating assembly will shred a new belt in a very short time.

I'm also taking the liberty of replacing the thermostat too.

A bust timing belt on most engines means extensive damage, at the very least, the cylinder head/s will have to come off, to replace bent valves. If the engine was operating closer to the rpm limit under load, then it's possible for the valves to smash holes in the pistons.

While I'm doing the timing belt job, I've got to find a way to get rid of the aircon compressor, which will mean re-routing the drive belt (possibly a shorter belt) with a system of idler pulleys. I could leave the aircon compressor in place to avoid re-engineering the belt and pulleys, but if I'm not retaining aircon in the car, why carry an extra 13 - 17 kilos of dead weight?

#JusticeforAluu4
Re: Audi B5 420-R: The Build. by Nobody: 6:14pm On Oct 19, 2012
Update 19th October 2012:

My Audi S8 timing belt kit turned up today. This kit consists of:

*Timing belt.
*Tensioner.
*Idlers.
*Water pump and gasket.

I ordered the thermostat later than the delivery cut-off time, so that won't be with me until tomorrow morning. I'll be installing the water pump and crank pulley with new bolts.

#JusticeforAluu4
Re: Audi B5 420-R: The Build. by Nobody: 7:32pm On Oct 20, 2012
Update 19th October 2012:

My thermostat turned up this morning, so I decided to carry out my timing belt replacement, along with all associated tensioner and idlers.

I started just after midday, and completed the work 18:40 hours. Now replacing a timing belt with the engine out of the car may seem easy, (no car front to strip down for access) but it's a massive pain in the posterior. The crankshaft bolt is torqued to 245 Nm. Normally with the engine in the car, there are several ways to prevent the engine from turning, when trying to undo this bolt - putting the car in 3rd gear, with the hand brake firmly applied, locking the flywheel to the transmission through the holes provided etc.

In the end, I went further than I planned - I installed the flywheel, and was able to lock it in place by inserting a long bar through one of the holes.

I replaced the thermostat as a precautionary measure, the timing belt was pretty worn, and wouldn't have lasted long. The water pump was fine, though I replaced it regardless. As is typical with most modern cars, the impellar is plastic, and a known weak point. The replacement has a steel impellar, so all good. Both idlers and the tensioner were also replaced, and I was then able to refit the newly painted timing belt covers.

Since the flywheel was installed, I decided to fit the clutch, and the 01E 6-speed manual gearbox. Man, that thing's heavy! It tips the scales at 78 kilos, so heavier than the average full-grown male human.

Normally, I would wait to pull the 2,6 V6 and 01A 5-speed manual gearbox from the Audi A4 quattro, so I can used the engine-to-transmission bolts, but I can't really be arsed. So I've looked on eBay, and ordered all the bolts I need. They should be with me sometime next week. So right now, the transmission's in place, but not bolted to the V8.

Pictures of progress so far:

Thermostat location, with old thermostat in place:

With old thermostat removed:

Old versus new thermostat:

Flywheel fitted:

Followed by clutch:

Front of engine with freshly-painted timing belt covers:

And 4,2 V8 engine mated to 01E 6-speed manual gearbox:

#JusticeforAluu4
Re: Audi B5 420-R: The Build. by Nobody: 11:57am On Oct 29, 2012
Update 29th October 2012:

I have now assembled my remote oil filter / cooler assembly. So will be running both coolant and air-cooled oil coolers. My external air cooler matrix turned up today. So all I'll need to tie the lot together, will be my stainless steel braided lines. Orientation is important, so no point getting custom lines made, until the distance between the oil filter / cooler assembly is known.

I will be using the heater core coolant feed at the rear of the engine, to take coolant to and from the water-cooled oil cooler, since I will not be plumbing in the heater core (the matrix will be removed).

I'll be ordering a couple more external matrix - my 01E 6-speed manual has a built-in oil pump, and two oil feed and return pipes that normally go to an oil cooler, incorporated in the radiator. Since I won't be going that route, I'll need an extra matrix. My power steering also has a pretty basic cooler, adequate for normal driving, less than ideal for a big V8, and the associated heat in the engine bay. So that will also get its own matrix.

I'm toying with the idea of converting the car to LHD, though not decided yet, just considering...

Pictures of the assembled remote oil filter housing and coolant / air cooled oil cooler, and of course the external matrix:

Re: Audi B5 420-R: The Build. by ibudes: 12:53pm On Oct 31, 2012
Hello
Re: Audi B5 420-R: The Build. by Nobody: 1:16pm On Oct 31, 2012
ibudes: Hi Siena:
I will want your help in converting 406, Email me on ibudes@gmail.com
Thanks

My email's in my signature.
Re: Audi B5 420-R: The Build. by Nobody: 2:32pm On Nov 01, 2012
Update 01st November 2012:

I have completed all that needs to be done, with the engine out of the car. The 4,2 32V S8 motor, is now married to the 01E 6-speed manual, and ready to be installed. Obviously, once the complete assembly is in place, I can make wooden engine mount mock-ups, then have them made out of 4mm thick steel.

Oil lines for the remote oil filter housing and coolers (both air and water cooled) will be made, as well as power steering and centre differential oil cooler lines. Secondary firewall will be removed, and battery will be relocated to the trunk, sharing space with the rear-mounted radiator.

Pictures of engine and tranny, ready to install:

Re: Audi B5 420-R: The Build. by Nobody: 4:54pm On Nov 06, 2012
Update 06th November 2012:

My cherry picker turned up this morning, I ordered it on Sunday the 4th. It's a 2-ton, 6-wheel version, with a maximum lift height of 2340mm. No automobile engine and trans combination weighs 2,000 kilos, so pretty good reserve SWL. It arrived disassembled, in two boxes, the whole hoist weighs in at 80 kilos!

The 2,6 V6 2 x SOHC 12V engine currently in the A4 has provisionally sold, the 5-speed manual is sold too, so right now, the car has cost me nothing, I've actually sold parts off her for more than I paid for the car, so it's all good.

Got an Audi RS6 wiring harness to get to grips with, so next week should see me pulling the engine and trans from my A4 quattro.

Cherry picker all assembled, and ready for work:

I'm going to purchase a load-leveller to use with this. Not really an essential item, it just makes working with an awkward load easier to level out for installation.
Re: Audi B5 420-R: The Build. by Nobody: 2:56pm On Nov 13, 2012
Update 13th November 2012:

I listed the B5 A4 on eBay as breaking for spares, so I can sell off the parts I won't require for this build project.

I have provisionally sold the 01A 5-speed gearbox, and the 2.6 V6 engine has had mild interest. Either way, if the gearbox sells tonight, it means I will definitely have to pull the engine and trans.

Once the engine bay is empty, I'm going to give it the "minimalistic lool." So this means anything not essential to this build will either be binned, or sold. I'm then going to thoroughly degrease the bay, and steam clean. The idea is to have it prepared, rubbed down, and primered. Then apply final coat of satin black. Of course I'm deleting the secondary firewall, so all this work will be done in tandem.

eBay auction for the gearbox ends tonight at 21:29 hours, so we'll see. If she doesn't sell this time around, I still want to pull both the gearbox and motor next week, when hopefully, I'll have more time on my hands.
Re: Audi B5 420-R: The Build. by Nobody: 10:32pm On Nov 13, 2012
And further to my previous update, the 2.6 V6 engine sold on eBay. So it's time to yank it out, together with the 5-speed manual. Tomorrow the car will be moved into position - I have to do some manipulation of vehicles, to swap positions.

Picture updates to follow.
Re: Audi B5 420-R: The Build. by Nobody: 8:22pm On Nov 14, 2012
@
Re: Audi B5 420-R: The Build. by Nobody: 9:00pm On Nov 14, 2012
chaircover: errrrrrmmmmmmm siena did I see car parts on your kitchen floor shocked shocked

Mrs siena is indeed a wonderful woman wink and she deserves a best wife medal grin

True! But Mrs. Siena gets to buy all her fancy bags, shoes and accessories. Last week, I couldn't get to the back door, there were that many boxes, hehehehe. grin

Still, the end results are worth the initial teething problems. wink
Re: Audi B5 420-R: The Build. by yhemster(m): 6:26am On Nov 15, 2012
OMG, this is a project indeed. I wish you live in the US, I would have join you to be part of the project. Goodluck bro and keep us posted.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (15) (Reply)

Have You Seen This Innoson IVM 6857 Bus Before? (photos) / Artega Gt, A Car I Saw Today At School, I Am Speechless( Veiw Pic / Mercedes-Benz C300 Used In Selling Local Herbs In Kaduna (Photos, Video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 100
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.