Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,311 members, 7,808,050 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 05:59 AM

Audi B5 420-R: The Build. - Car Talk (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Audi B5 420-R: The Build. (69816 Views)

Audi B5 420-R DTM: The Build / The Official Audi B5 RS4 Avant Thread! / Official Audi B5 RS4 "Outlaw" Sedans Around The World Thread (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (15) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Audi B5 420-R: The Build. by Shagati(m): 7:47pm On Feb 09, 2012
Siena:

Thanks bud, I'm glad you're inspired by these little projects. smiley

Lol, the man says 'little'
Re: Audi B5 420-R: The Build. by babyboy3(m): 2:30pm On Feb 10, 2012
I do have in mind to embark on a project but am looking at a Classic!!! may be an 70's or 80's model probably a Ford or Volkswagen

A person that know of recently finished putting together a Ford Cobra though after nearly 18 months,
Re: Audi B5 420-R: The Build. by Nobody: 4:19pm On Feb 10, 2012
The Cobra's a great car. But I prefer to build a one-off. The Audi A4 B5 does not exist with a V8 engine. This is why I've gone this route.

I may well do a Volkswagen Project car in the near future, but it'll most likely be based upon the Volkswagen SP2 from the '70's, with a modified Porsche Flat Six, or Subaru Impreza Flat Four Turbo. The SP2 is a rare sight, it was built by Volkswagen Do Brasil, so I'll be looking to import from Brazil.

There were a few imported to Nigeria between 1973 and 1978, very few, if any have survived till this day.

1 Like

Re: Audi B5 420-R: The Build. by omar22(m): 7:24pm On Feb 10, 2012
Cool
Re: Audi B5 420-R: The Build. by babyboy3(m): 7:26pm On Feb 10, 2012
Actually am looking a MK1 Golf something similar to picture below

this MK1, owned by Robert Jan from the Netherlands. Kevin already posted this orange Mk1, and although this yellow one looks similar from the outside, there are a lot of differences. I think that the focus on these particular Mk1s is all about clean style and not so much on crazy performance,  of course there are exceptions, and I do plan to give you guys a taste of both worlds over the course of the month.
The car is 26 years old, so when Robert Jan bought it, he immediately took it apart and started a ground-up restoration. I've noticed that when builders in this scene choose a new color for their car they often choose an original VW color. It seems that inside the VW community, they never stray far from the factory originals! In the end, it was decided that car would be changed from red to yellow and it's an original color -- used on the MK1 in 1976 and called ‘raid gelb'.

The stance is perfect thanks to an FK Automotive coil over suspension system. The Porsche wheels are a favorite amongst the MK1 community. This time, Robert chose the S4 version in 7j on the front and 8j in the rear. The tires are made by Dunlop and come in size 195/40/16.
Other parts that adorn the exterior are the chrome steel bumpers with the original rubber strips. The decorative strips on the car have all been chromed together with the mirrors.

The original engine has been replaced with a more powerful one. It's a 1.8 liter 16v from an Scirocco that is mated to a 5-speed transmission from the same car.

Re: Audi B5 420-R: The Build. by babyboy3(m): 7:28pm On Feb 10, 2012
Inside the car we find this brown interior from an '76 MK1 with integrated headsupports. The dashboard came from an '82 Golf. The steering wheel is an OEM item called the Spucknapf. I think that a cool wooden Nardi steering wheel might look better --what do you guys think?

Thats from a dutch bloke am not keen on the Yellow and front grill has to have the twin lights and If a Scirocco engine could fit, would a Corrado Engine fit? (2.9 Ltr VR6 or am I pushing my luck)

Re: Audi B5 420-R: The Build. by Nobody: 12:27am On Feb 11, 2012
That VW Golf I looks great, love the styling.

A bit of a mixed theme, which works well. Small chrome bumpers of the pre-'80 models, but with the later rear panel and larger tail lamps. A bit low for me (I've done the slammed car) but quite tasty.

I also like the fact despite the original 8V motor's been replaced with the 1,8 DOHC 16V (KR) block, and not gone the 1,8T route, keeping it naturally aspirated, and more in keeping with the Golf I's classic character.

Nice to see there are true automobile enthusiasts on here. I'll scan some of my past work, some of which were magazine-featured. wink
Re: Audi B5 420-R: The Build. by Nobody: 12:34am On Feb 11, 2012
baby-boy:

Thats from a dutch bloke am not keen on the Yellow and front grill has to have the twin lights and If a Scirocco engine could fit, would a Corrado Engine fit? (2.9 Ltr VR6 or am I pushing my luck)

The 2,9 VR6 12V motor would fit, but involves modifying a VW Golf II front subframe to support it, and also to stiffen the front end up. (The Golf I has no subframe). So a bit of "massaging", the VR6 motor will fit. wink
Re: Audi B5 420-R: The Build. by Nobody: 12:37am On Feb 11, 2012
@Siena

I posted this topic on nairaland yesterday for you to see. Below is the post;

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria?topic=866548.msg10158504#msg10158504
Re: Audi B5 420-R: The Build. by omar22(m): 1:00pm On Feb 11, 2012
That Golf is low looks like its using a sports lowering kit with Springs between 33-39mm, i had one on my Audi 90, biggest mistake of my life! Fantastic on the motorway but that's it, within town it was a nightmare, but when I had the 80 Sport I had the 45mm Sport springs
Re: Audi B5 420-R: The Build. by Nobody: 1:13pm On Feb 11, 2012
At that ride height, handling suffers, so not ideal.
Re: Audi B5 420-R: The Build. by Nobody: 1:13am On Apr 25, 2012
Got two words for you, 'Mark Evans'
Re: Audi B5 420-R: The Build. by Nobody: 12:10am On Jul 31, 2012
Haven't had a lot of time on my hands, but I pulled the AHC motor out of the garage.

I had fun (not!) removing the torque converter and flexi plate. One of the three torque converter bolts had had a rough time - it had been gotten at by someone with the wrong sized tool. It's a T55. In the end, I removed two of the bolts, then by sheer brute force, levered the torque converter off with a massive pry bar, enough to get to the 10 bolts that secure the flexi plate. I then removed these bolts and pulled the flexi, with the TC still attached.

Tomorrow I'll tackle the TC-supporting bush in the end of the crank, just need to buy a pot of grease. I'll post pictures tomorrow.
Re: Audi B5 420-R: The Build. by Nobody: 12:16am On Jul 31, 2012
Audi V8 engines, manual and auto share the same crank. The only difference being auto models have a steel bush pressed into the rear of the crank, to support the torque converter.

A manual transmission will not bolt up to an engine from an auto, if the TQ support bush is left in place. It will interfere with the flywheel, as well as the nose of the trans input shaft. So it needs to be removed. Unfortunately, it's an interference fit, so extremely tight. I have not removed this bush from a V6, but have certainly removed quite a few from I5 and V8 models. These steel bushes won't come out easily with a pair of vise grips.

Some have attacked the bush with a chisel and hammer, and eventually got the bush out. This tends to make quite a mess of the crank; it's worth noting severe shock can cause crank bearing failure, maybe not immediately, but possibly later down the line. Another issue which could arise (possibly) is imbalance issues, especially if the chisel takes chunks out of the crank, which will require finishing.

Some have mentioned applying heat to the bush, but in my opinion, that's a no-no. At best, the transferred heat will ruin the rear main oil seal, worse case scenario, distortion could occur, either in the crank rear face, the rear oil seal housing, or both. Either way, not good!

I remove them with just one method - good old hydraulic action. I'm going to list the procedure, the tools required, with photographs. The model in the following photographic sequence is a '98 AHC 4,2 V8 32V, (S8) though the procedure is the same for I5, V6 or V8. I removed the TQ support bush today, and it took me 6 minutes.
Re: Audi B5 420-R: The Build. by Nobody: 12:17am On Jul 31, 2012
Tools required are:

01) A sledge hammer.
02) A suitable steel drift.
03) A pot of grease or Petroleum Jelly.

The principle is simple - hydraulic action. In laymans terms, the recess is packed with thick grease, though I used Vaseline (Petroleum Jelly). A steel drift which is just short of being an interference fit in the recess is then driven into the grease-packed recess with a sledge hammer. Naturally, the grease will resist the drift going into the recess, and actually acts as a shock absorber against the hammer blows, so the crank is not "shocked".

The grease then needs to be displaced by the drift, and the only way it can do so is to force the steel bush out. You may need to pull the drift out and re-pack the recess a couple of times, as some may escape. If your drift is too small, it'll take longer to do the job. The closer to interference fit it is in the bush recess, the more effective the hydraulic action is.
Re: Audi B5 420-R: The Build. by Nobody: 12:20am On Jul 31, 2012
Tools for the job - as a drift, I used an Allen-headed bolt, with a 3/8 square drive as an extention, and I substituted grease with clean Vaseline. Then a sledge hammer of suitable weight.

Re: Audi B5 420-R: The Build. by Nobody: 7:31pm On Jul 31, 2012
Removing the bush:

Packing the TQ steel bush with Vaseline / grease:

The blows start:

After the third blow, the bush was being displaced by hydraulic action (Vaseline):

Voila!

It came out cleanly. The bush was good enough to be re-used, and the crank had no marks. It could well have been a manual, there was no sign a TQ bush ever sat in the crank recess:

Next step is to fit the Audi S8 flywheel. As some may know, the Audi S8 was never available in the UK as manual, so I've ordered a flywheel and clutch from Germany, I got blank stare from UK Audi main dealerships when I tried to order here, lol. Parts will be with me hopefully before the week runs out.

We're getting closer!
Re: Audi B5 420-R: The Build. by Wallie(m): 9:18pm On Jul 31, 2012
Hey Siena, good luck with your build! What are your plans with the car? Wheel-to-wheel racing or autocrossing? Are you going to cage it since you've already stripped it?
Re: Audi B5 420-R: The Build. by Nobody: 9:22pm On Jul 31, 2012
Wallie: Hey Siena, good luck with your build! What are your plans with the car? Wheel-to-wheel racing or autocrossing? Are you going to cage it since you've already stripped it?

It'll be a mixture - street, drag and track car. My plans with the car have been outlined at the beginning of this thread. smiley
Re: Audi B5 420-R: The Build. by Nobody: 8:24pm On Aug 06, 2012
Update 06th August 2012:

My Audi S8 flywheel turned up today from the fatherland, Germany. Pretty stoked - it was on back order, and I was expecting it to take a lot longer to arrive. I only ordered it last week.

And I've purchased another base car for this project. I wasn't happy with the one I initially purchased. This one I purchased is all the way in Bristol, which is roughly 220 miles from me, and a three-hour drive, lol. I'll be picking her up on Saturday. She's a '96 Audi A4 2,6 V6 Quattro Sport. Only one owner from new, she's done 141,000 miles, and has full service history, as a bonus, she's MOT'd till June 2013, so just ripe for some serious modding! smiley

Pictures to follow.
Re: Audi B5 420-R: The Build. by Nobody: 10:33pm On Aug 06, 2012
New Audi S8 flywheel, as supplied by Audi AG:

Re: Audi B5 420-R: The Build. by spiaggia: 11:45pm On Aug 06, 2012
Hi Siena, I really am looking forward to seeing how this pans out. Forgive me but can you elaborate on the radiator in the trunk business. Would the fans go into the trunk as well? Also, how will the hoses be fitted? Running from the trunk to the front? Can you give spend a little time so I just understand how this works please.

1 Like

Re: Audi B5 420-R: The Build. by Nobody: 7:20am On Aug 07, 2012
spiaggia: Hi Siena, I really am looking forward to seeing how this pans out. Forgive me but can you elaborate on the radiator in the trunk business. Would the fans go into the trunk as well? Also, how will the hoses be fitted? Running from the trunk to the front? Can you give spend a little time so I just understand how this works please.

Yes, 2 16" fans go fit to the radiator in the trunk. A third 18" fan goes in the engine bay, solely to keep engine bay temps low. Rigid plastic pipes run through the car to carry coolant to and from the engine and radiator, linked with silicone coolant hoses.
Re: Audi B5 420-R: The Build. by wolesamson: 10:01pm On Aug 09, 2012
Hello Siena, It is good dat u are back online after several months, i hope am not mistaking as it looks like u responded to dis mail yesterday. i had tried all ur numbers with me but all stop going thru. Can u please give me a number to get u with or u can call me since u av my number with u. Pls make dis an urgent matter.

Thanks,
Re: Audi B5 420-R: The Build. by Nobody: 11:31pm On Aug 09, 2012
Hi Wole, you're correct, have been out of action for a while, but back now. Could you please send your number through? I've got a new handset and contract, so lost all my stored numbers. My email's siena_@hotmail.co.uk
Re: Audi B5 420-R: The Build. by wolesamson: 7:04am On Aug 10, 2012
Hi Siena, its good to hear from u at last after a very long while, let assume ur phone contact got wiped out i presumed ur email is working and we had always contact through email as well. Anyway, am gonna send my number to ur email. Pls let me know where we are on our deal. When am i expecting my delivery.

Thanks,
Re: Audi B5 420-R: The Build. by wolesamson: 11:16am On Aug 11, 2012
Hello Siena, Am still waiting for ur call as i had sent my number to ur mail as instructed three days ago. Pls check n respond or rather give me a number to contact u with.

Thanks,
Re: Audi B5 420-R: The Build. by Nobody: 11:02pm On Aug 11, 2012
wolesamson: Hello Siena, Am still waiting for ur call as i had sent my number to ur mail as instructed three days ago. Pls check n respond or rather give me a number to contact u with.

Thanks,

Wole, you emailed me your number yesterday, the 10th of August...which makes it less than 24 hours ago, not three days. Even with different time zones, 24 hours is still 24 hours.

Regardless, here's my number - 07432 870 840. Please direct your enquiries to me on this number, so my thread doesn't get derailled, thanks!
Re: Audi B5 420-R: The Build. by Nobody: 11:24pm On Aug 11, 2012
Update 11th August 2012:

I picked up my new base car today. All the way from Bristol, which is a 225 mile drive. I left at 13:35, arrived in Bristol at 1705 hours, so not exactly local. I've just gotten home at 2219 hours, absolutely shattered.

Initial impressions are good - the car drove well, pulled strongly all through the rev range, with no flat spots or hesitation. It's had only one owner from new, and has a full service history, which is a bonus, but not really relevant, as the stock 2,6 V6 2 x SOHC 12V is coming out, along with the 5-speed manual tranny, to make way for a beefy 4,2 V8 2 x DOHC 32V and 6-speed manual tranny.

Over the next few days, I'll be carrying out a thorough assessment, and putting the car on a strict weight loss regime. Anything not absolutely needed for the car to run, and still remain road legal will be junked. I'll post pictures of her tomorrow after Sunday service, after I've given her a thorough clean. Current color is Audi Europe Blue Pearl, but that's a moot point, as the current color is subject to change. What the final color will be, is anybody's guess. wink
Re: Audi B5 420-R: The Build. by Nobody: 10:57am On Aug 12, 2012
The car, as picked up yesterday, after a damn good wash and dry. Some scrapes. but that's to be expected. All the parts with scratches play no part in the transformation, so will be junked for facelift Audi A4 B5 items. cool

Re: Audi B5 420-R: The Build. by Nobody: 11:06am On Aug 12, 2012
More...

Re: Audi B5 420-R: The Build. by Nobody: 11:10am On Aug 12, 2012
And more...

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (15) (Reply)

Reliability Of C180 and W202's IN GENERAL / Best Oil Grade To Use For Nigerian Car? / Artega Gt, A Car I Saw Today At School, I Am Speechless( Veiw Pic

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.