Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,911 members, 7,802,963 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 05:31 AM

Audi B5 420-R: The Build. - Car Talk (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Audi B5 420-R: The Build. (69792 Views)

Audi B5 420-R DTM: The Build / The Official Audi B5 RS4 Avant Thread! / Official Audi B5 RS4 "Outlaw" Sedans Around The World Thread (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (15) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Audi B5 420-R: The Build. by Nobody: 9:17am On Nov 15, 2012
@
Re: Audi B5 420-R: The Build. by Nobody: 9:29am On Nov 15, 2012
chaircover:

errrmmmmmmm you mean she is going to drive the car down to Tesco's and errmmmmmmm since you are ripping out the seats where will the babies sit grin grin grin

I still maintain that Mrs Siena is going to win the best wife medal grin

Hahahaha! This is a DTM race car, so no family space here. wink Of course, the Audi S8 is very much yup to the task of ferrying the family around, in supreme luxury and style. Or the Beemer for those frugal=conscious trips. smiley
Re: Audi B5 420-R: The Build. by Nobody: 9:35am On Nov 15, 2012
@
Re: Audi B5 420-R: The Build. by Nobody: 9:46am On Nov 15, 2012
chaircover: do you mind if i ask you a quick question ooooooo! how much should I have paid to fix a faulty firing cylinder? I think I was ripped off. Its a BMW 3 series angry

What year is your BMW? I would imagine it had a coil pack replaced. Make is BERU, and cost approx. £36 inc. VAT. Fitting time is 20 minutes, so assuming their labour charge is close to £90 per hour...

How much were you charged?
Re: Audi B5 420-R: The Build. by Nobody: 12:27pm On Nov 15, 2012
Kai!!! I was charged £120 shocked angry
Re: Audi B5 420-R: The Build. by Nobody: 12:30pm On Nov 15, 2012
chaircover: Kai!!! I was charged £120 shocked angry

Well. That's stealerships for you. And I'm here too. Next time, give me a call, when it comes to German automobile, I'm the man!
Re: Audi B5 420-R: The Build. by Nobody: 4:53pm On Nov 15, 2012
@
Re: Audi B5 420-R: The Build. by Nobody: 5:02pm On Nov 15, 2012
chaircover: Ha thank you o siena! Mr cc has been whinging all day o! Saying i shoud have spoken to you first before he took the car in lol grin

Mr CC's my new best friend then. cool
Re: Audi B5 420-R: The Build. by Nobody: 5:35pm On Nov 15, 2012
Re: Audi B5 420-R: The Build. by Nobody: 2:01am On Nov 17, 2012
Update 17th November 2012:

The buyer of the 01A 5-speed manual called me today, and is coming down to pick it up tomorrow! Which means I've got to work like a trojan, pulling it both the gearbox and engine, then separating them.

Early morning start then!
Re: Audi B5 420-R: The Build. by Nobody: 8:36pm On Nov 17, 2012

It was an early start for me. By 0830 hours, I was down in the garage. I didn't get much sleep the previous night, as my 4-month-old daughter decided she wasn't sleepy, which meant my 28-month-old wanted to play with her too. Still, it's all good!

The 2,6 V6 engine sold on eBay, and so did the 01A 5-speed gearbox. The gearbox was sheduled for pick-up after 1800 hours, so it meant working fast. The engine and gearbox can be removed as one unit, then separated on the bench. Or both units can be pulled separately. I chose option two, and by 1622, both engine and box were out.

The weather was good, a bit of early morning mist and very light rain, which soon stopped anyway. So I made good time. Engine bay was not as dirty as I thought it would be, but still needs a good steam clean, and preparation for paint in satin black.

Pictures!

Re: Audi B5 420-R: The Build. by Nobody: 8:43pm On Nov 17, 2012
More...

Re: Audi B5 420-R: The Build. by Nobody: 8:53pm On Nov 17, 2012
...And more...

The outgoing 01A 5-speed manual...

The outgoing 2.6 V6 12V...

And the incoming 4,2 V8 32V, mated to an 01E 6-speed manual...

Re: Audi B5 420-R: The Build. by Nobody: 8:55pm On Nov 17, 2012
The next step is to remove the secondary firewall, then prep the engine bay for paint. I also need to run the new battery cable to the rear, as the battery will reside in the trunk.
Re: Audi B5 420-R: The Build. by captalex(m): 1:24pm On Nov 20, 2012
You've come very far man, welldone.
Saw a classic mini running on a civic' engine the other day,The crazier you get with the project the more interesting and challenging it becomes.
Do you have any apprentices helping you out?
Re: Audi B5 420-R: The Build. by DarkknightAbj(m): 1:39pm On Nov 20, 2012
interesting grin
Re: Audi B5 420-R: The Build. by Nobody: 2:26pm On Nov 20, 2012
captalex: You've come very far man, welldone.
Saw a classic mini running on a civic' engine the other day,The crazier you get with the project the more interesting and challenging it becomes.
Do you have any apprentices helping you out?

Thanks bro.

Classic Mini's with alien engine transplants here are the norm. Back in 1997, I carried out a GM 2,0 C20XE engine and 5-speed manual conversion on a 1978 Mini Clubman 1275 GT. This was later upgraded to a GM 2,0 C20LET. It ran fast and strong, and did a 12.36 sec quarter mile at Santa Pod Raceway. Sadly, the owner smashed it into parked ice-cream van. Destroyed the car, and he himself only survived because I caged the passenger cell.

Apprentices? No. I don't really trust anyone to carry out work on mine or customer's cars, to my standard. So I'm a lone ranger in that regard.
Re: Audi B5 420-R: The Build. by Nobody: 2:27pm On Nov 20, 2012
Darkknight.Abj:
interesting grin

Thanks bud.

She'll be running at events around the UK and Europe next spring. wink
Re: Audi B5 420-R: The Build. by Nobody: 2:29pm On Nov 20, 2012
Re: Audi B5 420-R: The Build. by Nobody: 2:32pm On Nov 20, 2012
tiimms: Good day,am really loving every bit of your trend. I happen to be someone who loves and like to transform cars too,is it gonna be possible for me to come get schooled under you and groomed to learn some amazing things. I really look forward to you quickest reply,I would like to work with you in building some of this machines or beast.

Sure. My contact details are in my signature.
Re: Audi B5 420-R: The Build. by Nobody: 3:26pm On Nov 20, 2012
Re: Audi B5 420-R: The Build. by DarkknightAbj(m): 7:58pm On Nov 20, 2012
how much power would your audi push out after tunning? and whats the top speed on the speedo
Re: Audi B5 420-R: The Build. by Wallie(m): 8:32pm On Nov 20, 2012
Siena, I wonder what your Nigerian friends think of you and your love for cars? :-) I've been accused of being white because I watch car racing and I mountain bike!

I guess it's no surprise that you guys (UK folks) are used to working in the rain as it rains all the time over there. grin But cold weather plus rain makes for a very nasty experience. There's no way in this world I'll be outside in the rain working on cars!

You must be a very organized fellow not to have tools lying around everywhere. I can't imagine pulling an engine without having the entire tool box scattered all over the floor but then again, it's not like I know what I'm doing.

Keep up the good work and you might motivate me to pull off a build of my own next summer! How I wish I have half the hands on skills you possess but I guess I make up for it by being fearless (when I have instructions grin)!
Re: Audi B5 420-R: The Build. by Nobody: 8:51pm On Nov 20, 2012
Darkknight.Abj:
how much power would your audi push out after tunning? and whats the top speed on the speedo

The top speed of a 1998 Audi S8, with 340 bhp / 420 Nm torque is LIMITED to 155 mph (251,1 km/h). The S8 also weighs a hefty 1,750 kgs base, or 1,858 kgs with most of the factory options in place. De-restricted Audi S8's have been clocked at GPS-verified at 183 mph (296,5 km/h). The factory speedo of the S8 is caliberated to 190 mph (308 km/h).

This car will probably tip the scales at between 1,000 - 1,100 kilos, and I'm mapping out the speed limiter. So the math ain't hard to do. Later next year, I'm going to be running a built version of the same engine, with a single GT series ball bearing turbo. Looking for anything between 500 - 575 bhp / 850 Nm torque.

The speedo of the Audi A4 Quattro is caliberated to 160 mph (259,2 km/h), but that's a moot point, as the caliberation on a car's speedo does not mean the car will reach that speed. But this one will obviously reach AND exceed that speed, and I'm replacing the complete instrument instrument cluster with a race dash, complete with lap timer and data logger.
Re: Audi B5 420-R: The Build. by Nobody: 8:56pm On Nov 20, 2012
Wallie: Siena, I wonder what your Nigerian friends think of you and your love for cars? :-) I've been accused of being white because I watch car racing and I mountain bike!

I guess it's no surprise that you guys (UK folks) are used to working in the rain as it rains all the time over there. grin But cold weather plus rain makes for a very nasty experience. There's no way in this world I'll be outside in the rain working on cars!

You must be a very organized fellow not to have tools lying around everywhere. I can't imagine pulling an engine without having the entire tool box scattered all over the floor but then again, it's not like I know what I'm doing.

Keep up the good work and you might motivate me to pull off a build of my own next summer! How I wish I have half the hands on skills you possess but I guess I make up for it by being fearless (when I have instructions grin)!

Wallie, my Nigerian friends here are in two camps - one set think I'm bonkers, the other half are genuinely interested.

The rain and cold don't really bother me, I actually like it. I don't actually feel the cold the way many do, and I've done breakdown rescues in thick snow (in 2010 I replaced a transmission on a stranded BMW 750iL on a cambered road!).

As per tools, the trick is to be methodical in your approach. You can't go wrong there. wink
Re: Audi B5 420-R: The Build. by Carlosein(m): 2:52pm On Nov 22, 2012
Siena man, I've been gawking at your work since monday here in the office and guys are beginning to thinks I'm nuts!
Just wish I could do like you.

Already bookmarked this and definitely following with keen interest.

Just so you know, I'm among friends who think you're positively bonkers grin
cos I can't imagine not only doing all these, but going through the wahala of stripping engine and tranny AND snapping pictures for upload here all for nothing, HABA! undecided only Monsieur Siena can do that now.

Abeg keep up the good work and enjoy your 'beast' when done.
Re: Audi B5 420-R: The Build. by Nobody: 5:37pm On Nov 22, 2012
^^^ Thanks buddy. smiley
Re: Audi B5 420-R: The Build. by captalex(m): 10:12pm On Nov 25, 2012
Darkknight.Abj:
interesting grin

Darkknight you found your way here, welcome, have been watching your videos on youtube ,impressive,and see you've been rinsing the auto scene in Abuja too!
Re: Audi B5 420-R: The Build. by proo212(m): 12:01pm On Nov 26, 2012
Hello Siena, can i use your advice about CVT on a family member's A4 1.8T. You know the normal issues with these boxes. I've been researching replacing the gearbox itself or just the TCU. But with the TCU, the gearbox still needs to be removed.

What is the best option in this case? I'm asking because the owner is looking to pass the car on to me but I'm looking to get a Saab 9-3 Aero or Alfa 156 Veloce 20V Diesel.
Re: Audi B5 420-R: The Build. by Nobody: 12:15pm On Nov 26, 2012
proo212: Hello Siena, can i use your advice about CVT on a family member's A4 1.8T. You know the normal issues with these boxes. I've been researching replacing the gearbox itself or just the TCU. But with the TCU, the gearbox still needs to be removed.

What is the best option in this case? I'm asking because the owner is looking to pass the car on to me but I'm looking to get a Saab 9-3 Aero or Alfa 156 Veloce 20V Diesel.

The CVT TCM is indeed inside the transmission, though not a massive job to replace. It doesn't require the tranny to be fully stripped down to replace it. Sure, the trans needs to be pulled from the car, but all in, you're looking 7 hours. This is of course a FWD Audi A4.

The Alfa Romeo is a quirky car, and the 2,4 I5 JTD engine is not one of the most reliable engines out there. A Peugeot 2,2 HDI is actually a better engine, and that's saying something.

What Saab are you looking at? Current Saabs are GM-based.
Re: Audi B5 420-R: The Build. by proo212(m): 12:39am On Nov 27, 2012
Many Thanks for your response. Yes the Alfa is a quirky one but I love that I5 Turbo Diesel....I was never going to buy a car I really loved anymore because to let it go would be hard. I am really at a Saab 9-3 Aero Saloon...

My in-law has had quotes for up to 1K to fix gearbox.
Re: Audi B5 420-R: The Build. by Nobody: 5:43pm On Nov 29, 2012

I received new OEM Audi S8 exhaust manifolds-to-downpipes retainers, bolts and nuts. I wasn't happy with the old ones. They looked okay, but they are much easier to replace, when the engine's on the bench.

Also, some may recall I decided to junk the stock Audi S8 combined oil cooler and filter, in favour of a remote set-up. This meant having a custom flange machined out of solid aluminium billet. Now the mounting faces were designed to mate to the aluminium V8 engine block with a gasket as the seal. I've thought long and hard about that, and was a bit worried about the integrity. The Audi S8 oil pressure is in excess of 6 bar (87 PSI) at idle when cold. With a healthy engine, that figure will still apply when hot at 2,000 rpm and beyond.

I wasn't keen on seeing how well a thin card gasket would hold up to oil at 90-odd degrees with 6 bar of pressure. The obvious thing to do was use O-rings as the seal. Unfortunately, O-rings can't just be slapped in. Both mating surfaces are flat, so I had grooves machined into the mating face of the aluminium flange, so the O-rings have nice channels to sit in. Perfecto!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (15) (Reply)

Have You Seen This Innoson IVM 6857 Bus Before? (photos) / Artega Gt, A Car I Saw Today At School, I Am Speechless( Veiw Pic / Mercedes-Benz C300 Used In Selling Local Herbs In Kaduna (Photos, Video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.