Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,868 members, 7,802,800 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 09:51 PM

Facebook Makes Us Sad (Research). Duh? - Webmasters - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / Facebook Makes Us Sad (Research). Duh? (5190 Views)

Facebook Makes Another Good Move / The Most Effective #keywords #research To #rank High In #google / So Sad! Btjunkie Has Shutdown (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Facebook Makes Us Sad (Research). Duh? by Nobody: 12:19am On Jan 21, 2012
Facebook: Friends' Happy Pictures Make You Sad?

There are plenty of reasons to feel down in today's fast-paced, hectic world, and you wouldn't think that the world's most popular social networking site would be one of them. But that's exactly what a new study by Utah Valley University has found.
According to the study,  Facebook is making us sad. Why? It's all about the kinds of pictures people to post on their pages.
Facebook photos generally depict smiling, cheerful people having good times, conveying a sense of happiness. Of course everyone likes to smile for the camera, so that good cheer may be inflated or false. As others view the photos, they may believe this conveyed sense of  intense happiness is real, making them think that their friends are much happier than they are.
Sociologists Hui-Tzu Grace Chou and Nicholas Edge said they interviewed 425 students, asking them whether they agreed or disagreed with such statements as "Many of my friends have a better life than me," and "Life is fair."
They also asked about the students' Facebook usage, including how many "friends" they had on the site, and how many of those friends were really people they knew.
After controlling for race, gender, religious beliefs and whether the volunteers were unattached or in a relationship, the researchers saw a pattern: The more time students spent on Facebook, the more they thought others had it better than they did.
"Those who have used Facebook longer agreed more that others were happier, and agreed less that life is fair, and those spending more time on Facebook each week agreed more that others were happier and had better lives," wrote Chou and Edge. "Furthermore, those that included more people whom they did not personally know as their Facebook "friends" agreed more that others had better lives."
The study, which was published in the journal Cyberpsychology, Behavior and Social Networking, also found that people who spent less time socializing with friends in cyberspace and more time socializing with them in real life were less likely to report they were  unhappy.
So if you are looking for a way to cheer yourself up, the researchers say you may do well to log off Facebook. Call your best friend instead.

http://news.yahoo.com/feeling-sad-facebook-could-cause-180318638--abc-news.html
Re: Facebook Makes Us Sad (Research). Duh? by Kobojunkie: 2:05am On Jan 21, 2012

iberibe!
Re: Facebook Makes Us Sad (Research). Duh? by koruji(m): 2:11am On Jan 21, 2012
The complete sentence is: So if you are looking for a way to cheer yourself up, the researchers say you may do well to log off Facebook. Call your best friend instead. Log on to Google+ or Yahoo or Nairaland instead  cheesy cheesy cheesy

Useless research.
Re: Facebook Makes Us Sad (Research). Duh? by Kobojunkie: 2:21am On Jan 21, 2012
^^^ I don't think it is useless research at all. I think people need to be made to understand that some of the socializing they engage in on the net may actually be more harmful than they think. There are those who are constantly logged on to facebook and are willing to tell you that there lives are better for it. Yet when you observe their behaviour over time, you realize that they may really be in denial. Just take the internet away from one of those, for even a day, and man . . . . demon go show up. ROFLMAO!!
Re: Facebook Makes Us Sad (Research). Duh? by koruji(m): 3:19am On Jan 21, 2012
There is probably "some" truth in there, but as a general conclusion it does not sound right to me.

Everything is relative because there is always a choice, and hence my reference to Yahoo & NL as examples of the myriads of avenues to socialize in a way similar to facebook. Without considering those alternatives it seems incredible that the researchers could reach valid conclusion about facebook in particular.

One thing is sure. People rush to facebook and other social media as a way to improve (or at least perceive it as such) their connection to other people. That's another angle the researchers missed. If facebook makes you sadder than the alternative you would probably stay off it - not to invalidate your suggestion about people who like to pretend, but that is probably a small proportion of facebook or other social media users. Facebook may be a complement to, rather than a substitute for, calling your friends.

Also, facebook or no facebook it is an age old truth that the majority always think the "grass is greener on the other side" - which is essentially what the researchers found.

Kobojunkie:

^^^ I don't think it is useless research at all. I think people need to be made to understand that some of the socializing they engage in on the net may actually be more harmful than they think. There are those who are constantly logged on to facebook and are willing to tell you that there lives are better for it. Yet when you observe their behaviour over time, you realize that they may really be in denial. Just take the internet away from one of those, for even a day, and man . . . .  demon go show up. ROFLMAO!!
Re: Facebook Makes Us Sad (Research). Duh? by Kobojunkie: 3:32am On Jan 21, 2012
Well, yahoo and Nairaland do not have 500 million people users, and counting, each, do they now?  undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided

You assumption that the researchers missed some angles is unfounded. All you have read of this particular research is a newspaper piece on it. You have yet to investigate the actual research itself to learn what was considered and what was not. I am willing to state that the researchers took into account most all of what you have there and more as there have been numerous research done on the effect of social networks on individuals, employees, and groups, even relationships .
Re: Facebook Makes Us Sad (Research). Duh? by koruji(m): 4:02am On Jan 21, 2012
Correct that I have read only the information available to me, so my comments should be taken in that context.

Still, I don't understand your willingness to state what the researchers took into account. It begs the question: have you read their paper? If not, you cannot validly state that they did take all that into account - they would be assumptions too.

Kobojunkie:

Well, yahoo and Nairaland do not have 500 million people users, and counting, each, do they now?  undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided

You assumption that the researchers missed some angles is unfounded. All you have read of this particular research is a newspaper piece on it. You have yet to investigate the actual research itself to learn what was considered and what was not. I am willing to state that the researchers took into account most all of what you have there and more as there have been numerous research done on the effect of social networks on individuals, employees, and groups, even relationships .
Re: Facebook Makes Us Sad (Research). Duh? by Kobojunkie: 4:08am On Jan 21, 2012
Yep! I have read some of the abstracts from some of the research on the effects of social networking and all. I believe this is a link to this particular one.

http://psp.sagepub.com/content/37/1/120.abstract
Re: Facebook Makes Us Sad (Research). Duh? by Nobody: 4:17am On Jan 21, 2012
Bad belle people tongue
Re: Facebook Makes Us Sad (Research). Duh? by koruji(m): 4:30am On Jan 21, 2012
Thanks.

As usual the newspaper article presented the misleading but "sellable" twist on the study. I went looking for the actual study and found it here: [url=http://spl.stanford.edu/pdfs/2011%20Jordan%20PSPB.pdf]Misery Has More Company Than People Think: Underestimating the Prevalence of Others’ Negative Emotions[/url]

My quick scan showed that facebook was not even part of the study at all - it was mentioned as part of the discussion of the actual study and in that case used as an example of how social media might contribute to misperceptions (page 133).:

"Understanding the Appeal of Tragedy
Understanding the errors that people make in perceiving others’
emotional lives—and the potential consequences of those
errors—may shed light on why people seek out works of art
that depict the pains of others. In fictional tragedy, people are
given the opportunity to witness “the terrible things in life”
that are ordinarily “played out behind the scenes” (Chekhov,
1898/1979, p. 192), which may help to depathologize people’s
own negative emotional experiences. As screenwriter Charlie
Kaufman said in an interview, “If I see something expressed,
something that’s sad in a work of art, [it’s] not necessarily
grim to me if I can relate to it. . . . I say, ‘Oh my God, there’s
somebody else in the world that I’m related to’” (Faraci,
2008). In a related vein, research on errors in the perception of
others’ emotional lives may help to explain why Internet users
read sad online diaries or notes of others (e.g., postsecret.com)
or visit sites that document the pitfalls of celebrities’ personal
lives (e.g., tmz.com); such sites may help visitors feel less alone
in their own problems. On the other hand, social networking
sites (e.g., facebook.com) may exacerbate common
misperceptions of others’ emotional lives because of the
complete control that users have over the public image they
project to the world through their photo albums, status
updates, friendship networks, and so forth."

Now, the study seems to be attempting to explain why we tend to think "the grass is greener on the other side".

Kobojunkie:

Yep! I have read some of the abstracts from some of the research on the effects of social networking and all. I believe this is a link to this particular one.

http://psp.sagepub.com/content/37/1/120.abstract

Re: Facebook Makes Us Sad (Research). Duh? by koruji(m): 4:34am On Jan 21, 2012
In a related vein, research on errors in the perception of
others’ emotional lives may help to explain why Internet users
read sad online diaries or notes of others (e.g., postsecret.com)

Now that this study has pointed out a site I never knew existed, look for me to be reading "sad stories" there that may cut into my NL/Yahoo/FB time  grin grin grin
Re: Facebook Makes Us Sad (Research). Duh? by mensdept: 6:19am On Jan 21, 2012
Do you know that some people go out just so they can take pictures for facebook? Kind of crazy
Re: Facebook Makes Us Sad (Research). Duh? by Jakumo(m): 6:50am On Jan 21, 2012
Twitter is for twit[/b]s, and [b]Face[/b]book is a crutch for folks who can't [b]face reality.

As a certified bush-man who has never once in my life cracked open a web page on either of those two websites, could I ask from those who do spend time pouring out their souls to complete strangers on such sites to explain what the point of the whole exercise really is ?

I mean, why would anyone in their right mind voluntarily publish their true identity, along with photographs, for the benefit of every identity thief and bank account raider on this planet.  Help me out here, folks, why on earth is such exposure seen as a good thing ?   

Anyways, continuing my rant, I would like to hypothesise that lemmings who flock to places that expose their personal details to the fraudster world must all be compelled to take that massive risk out of a sense of profound of loneliness and isolation, which is evidently not being addressed to their satisfaction in real life.   My condolences go out to anyone who falls into that sad category, and I wish ALL Facebores and Twits the best of luck when their bank accounts are hacked by their "friends" who carefully harvest such details from both of those very productive websites.
Re: Facebook Makes Us Sad (Research). Duh? by Kobojunkie: 9:57am On Jan 21, 2012
[size=13pt]In a related vein, research on errors in the perception of others’ emotional lives may help to explain why Internet users read sad online diaries or notes of others (e.g., postsecret.com) or visit sites that document the pitfalls of celebrities’ personal lives (e.g., tmz.com); such sites may help visitors feel less alone in their own problems. On the other hand, social networking sites (e.g., facebook.com) may exacerbate common misperceptions of others’ emotional lives because of the complete control that users have over the public image they project to the world through their photo albums, status updates, friendship networks, and so forth[/size].

http://spl.stanford.edu/pdfs/2011%20Jordan%20PSPB.pdf

Well, ofcourse there will be need to focus on facebook alone since the research is about what we have come to accept as the way to social network in general, and not really about a particular networking site out there.

Now as one who does not really use many of the sites like twitter or facebook or much except work related or occassional(like once in a year connecting), I have no problem with social networking. However, I think people abuse it  . . . . overuse it to the extent that their lives now center around these sites. Research like this at least allows people who are not so connected better understand what is going on and maybe how to help those who may need help.

Jakumo:

Anyways, continuing my rant, I would like to hypothesise that lemmings who flock to places that expose their personal details to the fraudster world must all be compelled to take that massive risk out of a sense of profound of loneliness and isolation, which is evidently not being addressed to their satisfaction in real life.   My condolences go out to anyone who falls into that sad category, and I wish ALL Facebores and Twits the best of luck when their bank accounts are hacked by their "friends" who carefully harvest such details from both of those very productive websites.

There has been that idea discussed for sometime now. And I do remember reading on some research that suggests that to be more the case than the notion that those who are "popular" on these networks are the more outgoing personalities.
Re: Facebook Makes Us Sad (Research). Duh? by Lilnikee(m): 12:35pm On Jan 21, 2012
lmao. Funny
Re: Facebook Makes Us Sad (Research). Duh? by Nobody: 12:35pm On Jan 21, 2012
Jakumo:

Twitter is for twit[/b]s, and [b]Face[/b]book is a crutch for folks who can't [b]face reality.

As a certified bush-man who has never once in my life cracked open a web page on either of those two websites, could I ask from those who do spend time pouring out their souls to complete strangers on such sites to explain what the point of the whole exercise really is ?

I mean, why would anyone in their right mind voluntarily publish their true identity, along with photographs, for the benefit of every identity thief and bank account raider on this planet.  Help me out here, folks, why on earth is such exposure seen as a good thing ?   

I agree with you on this. But not on subsidy removal
Re: Facebook Makes Us Sad (Research). Duh? by dayo23(f): 12:36pm On Jan 21, 2012
Irrelevant write up, Nonsence
Re: Facebook Makes Us Sad (Research). Duh? by studyineu: 12:40pm On Jan 21, 2012
For me am on facebook to make money with their facebook ads and pages only.
Re: Facebook Makes Us Sad (Research). Duh? by claremont(m): 12:49pm On Jan 21, 2012
Pseudo-science!

This research is so flawed that even a blind man can see how illogical and meaningless it is. Absolutely no need to waste my time showcasing inherent flaws in a research with respondents that are non-representative of population size. It says a lot that only ridiculous sounding journals like "Cyberpsychology" can publish this drivel, why wasn't it published in reputable psychology journals like "Psychologytoday"?! Non-sense!
Re: Facebook Makes Us Sad (Research). Duh? by eghost247(m): 12:51pm On Jan 21, 2012
rubbish
Re: Facebook Makes Us Sad (Research). Duh? by Acidosis(m): 12:52pm On Jan 21, 2012
This is the worst article on earth. Its useless
Re: Facebook Makes Us Sad (Research). Duh? by Nobody: 1:02pm On Jan 21, 2012
U can't deny that sadistic feeling that comes over u when u see ur mates having a ball on fb whilst ur stuck in a rot at home or work, or that stint of jelousy when u see an ex looking all smiles with her\his new partner lol. I don't think being on fb itself automatically makes u a sad person, different people use it for different reasons but I think the research is speaking to people who take it too seriously. I personally know some peeps who literally spend their lives on fb\twitter and trust me they really are a sad pathetic lot.
Re: Facebook Makes Us Sad (Research). Duh? by Felixjude(m): 1:09pm On Jan 21, 2012
I so much lyk this research, an in the end,its the fact.ppl tend to present a false picture of themselves thereby making gulible ppl think de demsevs r worse off.
Re: Facebook Makes Us Sad (Research). Duh? by olsmade(m): 1:17pm On Jan 21, 2012
Yet another reason to stay off fb
Re: Facebook Makes Us Sad (Research). Duh? by Skii(m): 1:25pm On Jan 21, 2012
Ani, the one that is worrying me now is "timeline" that facebook has just recently introduced!

You find that you are able to comment about/on your friends timeline, from childhood years up till now, uploading old photos and stuff like that. Imagine, just throwing all your personal info online

undecided undecided
Re: Facebook Makes Us Sad (Research). Duh? by fred2265: 1:36pm On Jan 21, 2012
Re: Facebook Makes Us Sad (Research). Duh? by Nobody: 2:22pm On Jan 21, 2012
If you want to know the truly sad and isolated friends on Facebook, you will notice they take pictures of themselves alone, using a Camera phone with their hand faced towards them, they hardly have pictures with Family, Friends and Colleagues, they are all in a world of their own. and they keep posting happy stuff, like - going to "Raddisson Blue tonight. Oh he is sooo Sweet.", "Lost 10KG waow. I have really
Re: Facebook Makes Us Sad (Research). Duh? by iice(f): 2:31pm On Jan 21, 2012
Well its suited to those who need something than their own lives to function.
Re: Facebook Makes Us Sad (Research). Duh? by denony(m): 2:32pm On Jan 21, 2012
You are right, it's at times soo annoying  angry
Re: Facebook Makes Us Sad (Research). Duh? by Limaoscar: 2:47pm On Jan 21, 2012
U can't deny that sadistic feeling that comes over u when u see ur mates having a ball on fb whilst ur stuck in a rot at home or work, or that stint of jelousy when u see an ex looking all smiles with her\his new partner lol. I don't think being on fb itself automatically makes u a sad person, different people use it for different reasons but I think the research is speaking to people who take it too seriously. I personally know some peeps who literally spend their lives on fb\twitter and trust me they really are a sad pathetic lot.

Gbam at the bold line. You have some on NL too. Most of them have posts in the region of 15,000 to 20,000, tongue

But seriously, I have been shocked to find somebody post their phone numbers and other details on FB and didn't imagine anything wrong with that.
Re: Facebook Makes Us Sad (Research). Duh? by Korrection(m): 4:15pm On Jan 21, 2012
i caught my beautiful girlfriend cheating on facebook, she left the pc open and slept off, i went into it and found out she has been fvcking someone else who even threatened to show her naked pics online, Pathetic
Re: Facebook Makes Us Sad (Research). Duh? by Natasha2(f): 4:57pm On Jan 21, 2012
hmm nice research.

(1) (2) (Reply)

What Is The Risk In Buying A Premium Theme From a Third-party? / 4 Easy Ways To Speed Up Your Website / How Easy Is Web Designing?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.