Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,515 members, 7,801,360 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 02:16 PM

Law Vs Medicine Vs Banking Vs Enginnering In Nigeria - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Law Vs Medicine Vs Banking Vs Enginnering In Nigeria (3451 Views)

Poll: Which career path would you prefare ?

Banking: 8% (1 vote)
Engineering: 58% (7 votes)
Law: 16% (2 votes)
Medicine: 16% (2 votes)
This poll has ended

Computer Enginnering Or Computer Science / Medicine Vs Nursing / Medicine Vs Engineering. Which One Is Better? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Law Vs Medicine Vs Banking Vs Enginnering In Nigeria by sconsults: 8:23am On Jan 21, 2012
Nigerians please choose the better career path in Nigeria.graduates lets say you could go back in time to
Before you stated your higher education and you had all what it takes to be in any of them,which will you
Choose based on prestige,earning power,employment etc.And please state our reasons.
Re: Law Vs Medicine Vs Banking Vs Enginnering In Nigeria by tanimola22: 10:33am On Jan 21, 2012
^°^^^^^

Maybe engineering or none of the above.

The best bankers are not even graduates of banking and finance. I have a high opinion of medicine, but it is definitely not what I would do if I went back to undergraduate school. As for law, there is no way I would study it if I were to start all over again. The probability of earning 25K naira/month after law school is more than 0.5. I will never gamble with my future.

Ideally, I would study mathematics again and again and again if I were given the chance to start from the scratch. I have met Nobel laureates, all because of mathematics. I have attended respectable schools, all because of mathematics. I have traveled around the world to attend lectures, all because of mathematics. I hear people pay millions to study abroad, but I have never paid ten naira for graduate studies abroad, all because of mathematics. I earn a good stipend while my mates do menial jobs abroad, all because of mathematics. I can go on and on and on.

In fact, if there is one major thing, besides good health, safety and life, I usually thank God for, it is that I studied mathematics. Apart from medicine, I can comfortably become all of the above you stated.

Mathematics is it!

T22

2 Likes

Re: Law Vs Medicine Vs Banking Vs Enginnering In Nigeria by tpia5: 10:37am On Jan 21, 2012
math is a very good course no doubt.
Re: Law Vs Medicine Vs Banking Vs Enginnering In Nigeria by chamber2(m): 11:03am On Jan 21, 2012
T22

Did you study maths up to graduate level (masters)?

If no, then why the change after all these professed love for Maths?

I am an average student at maths, so i might not study maths if i was to go back to school. I would still go back to Economics.

Among the choices above i would go for engineering. Engineers do a whole lot of things; finance, econs, IT etc

For me, Economics is the best course on earth. You can never go wrong with an econs degree
Re: Law Vs Medicine Vs Banking Vs Enginnering In Nigeria by tanimola22: 11:32am On Jan 21, 2012
chamber2:

T22

Did you study maths up to graduate level (masters)?

If no, then why the change after all these professed love for Maths?

I am an average student at maths, so i might not study maths if i was to go back to school. I would still go back to Economics.

Among the choices above i would go for engineering. Engineers do a whole lot of things; finance, econs, IT etc

For me, Economics is the best course on earth. You can never go wrong with an econs degree

You almost provided a very nice and sharp counter. But you know, I decided to learn how the same math is applied to certain areas of econs and fin at graduate level.

You are definitely not wrong about econs.
Re: Law Vs Medicine Vs Banking Vs Enginnering In Nigeria by jpilata(m): 11:34am On Jan 21, 2012
Even i go to uni one thausand times,i will still study LAW, Becos it has a very high social status, Law or nothing
Re: Law Vs Medicine Vs Banking Vs Enginnering In Nigeria by tanimola22: 12:47pm On Jan 21, 2012
^^^^^

I see. Thanks for the information.

Just like el Rufai, it is safe to say that after making sure the pecuniary aspect of one's life is well guaranteed, I think, in one's leisure, one can pursue a degree in law for the sake of the`very high social status´ it brings.

I have found that many successful economists usually go back to school to study law. I have a senior friend who did that. The guy even has a PhD in law. I now see why this is so--all in the name of 'a very high social status' hahaha.

T22.
Re: Law Vs Medicine Vs Banking Vs Enginnering In Nigeria by Nobody: 1:18pm On Jan 21, 2012
Engineering is it!!! Engineers are found everywhere - banks, consulting firms, oil and gas, telecoms, health, agriculture, manufacturing, human resources, construction, politics, etc. Engineering expands your knowledge and toughens you for the outer world, thus most engineering graduates suceed wherever they find themselves. Check most banks or auditing firms- engineers are always the most populous. In Nigeria, there are far more job opportunities for engineers than most other professionals. Engineering is dynamic and flexible. I also love law; great course with prestige, analytical reasoning and versatility, but that would always be a second choice. .Medicine is a bit too narrow for me liking lipsrsealed. It's too boring and a bit monotonous (I know doctors will disgree). There is hardly any ingenuity or analytical thinking in medicine.
All said and done, engineering wins for me anyday, anytime wink

1 Like

Re: Law Vs Medicine Vs Banking Vs Enginnering In Nigeria by tanimola22: 2:01pm On Jan 21, 2012
x-fire:

Engineering is it!!! Engineers are found everywhere - banks, consulting firms, oil and gas, telecoms, health, agriculture, manufacturing, human resources, construction, politics, etc. Engineering expands your knowledge and toughens you for the outer world, thus most engineering graduates suceed wherever they find themselves. Check most banks or auditing firms- engineers are always the most populous. In Nigeria, there are far more job opportunities for engineers than most other professionals. Engineering is dynamic and flexible. I also love law; great course with prestige, analytical reasoning and versatility, but that would always be a second choice. .Medicine is a bit too narrow for me liking lipsrsealed. It's too boring and a bit monotonous (I know doctors will disgree). There is hardly any ingenuity or analytical thinking in medicine.

But note that the smartest and most gifted students go for medicine, at least in naija.

For law, I am sure many charge and bail peeps would never see things from your perspective. Dem go say, na prestige we wan chop?

T22
Re: Law Vs Medicine Vs Banking Vs Enginnering In Nigeria by sainty2k3(m): 2:59pm On Jan 21, 2012
x-fire:

i agree with ur opinion about medicine but its a place to be, dynamic and challenging.makes u strong mentally, feel satisfied after serving humanity,bringing relief to the distressed, saving a life from 'death', its a wonderfull feeling to experience
Re: Law Vs Medicine Vs Banking Vs Enginnering In Nigeria by AjanleKoko: 3:31pm On Jan 21, 2012
Well . . . none.
Think about Steve Jobs. I would only go to college to study whatever I can find practical expression in.
Something like industrial design, I think I like. Or maybe architecture. Our environment needs more practical expression.
Re: Law Vs Medicine Vs Banking Vs Enginnering In Nigeria by sconsults: 6:12pm On Jan 21, 2012
[size=20pt]please moderators,this should be on the front page.i think this is a very interesting topic[/size]
Re: Law Vs Medicine Vs Banking Vs Enginnering In Nigeria by yamakuza: 6:54pm On Jan 21, 2012
sconsults:

[size=20pt]please moderators,this should be on the front page.i think this is a very interesting topic[/size]

grin  grin  grin  grin grin  grin  grin 

Pol. Science is missing from the list.

How/why did you arrive at those 4, btw?
Re: Law Vs Medicine Vs Banking Vs Enginnering In Nigeria by violent(m): 7:10pm On Jan 21, 2012
I'd go for law if i don't have to do it for the money.
Re: Law Vs Medicine Vs Banking Vs Enginnering In Nigeria by yamakuza: 7:25pm On Jan 21, 2012
Interestingly, from the votes, nobody would like to be a banker.

Not even the bankers amongst us?
Re: Law Vs Medicine Vs Banking Vs Enginnering In Nigeria by tpia5: 7:28pm On Jan 21, 2012
why was maths removed from the thread title (or wasnt it there before)?

gosh!!!!!!
Re: Law Vs Medicine Vs Banking Vs Enginnering In Nigeria by yamakuza: 7:35pm On Jan 21, 2012
^ Really? It was?

I rather doubt that. OP couldnt have been so magnanimous.
Re: Law Vs Medicine Vs Banking Vs Enginnering In Nigeria by tpia5: 7:37pm On Jan 21, 2012
ok, maybe i assumed it was there when it really wasnt.
Re: Law Vs Medicine Vs Banking Vs Enginnering In Nigeria by hannahmay(f): 12:01am On Jan 22, 2012
According to me, I prefer something that broaden ur brain and thought wc includes mathematics. Engineering makes u think far better than any other course. Medicine's jxt boring. And also Engineering is so WIDE. And needed most in this technology days,
Re: Law Vs Medicine Vs Banking Vs Enginnering In Nigeria by Nobody: 1:06am On Jan 21, 2015
tanimola22:
^°^^^^^

Maybe engineering or none of the above.

The best bankers are not even graduates of banking and finance. I have a high opinion of medicine, but it is definitely not what I would do if I went back to undergraduate school. As for law, there is no way I would study it if I were to start all over again. The probability of earning 25K naira/month after law school is more than 0.5. I will never gamble with my future.

Ideally, I would study mathematics again and again and again if I were given the chance to start from the scratch. I have met Nobel laureates, all because of mathematics. I have attended respectable schools, all because of mathematics. I have traveled around the world to attend lectures, all because of mathematics. I hear people pay millions to study abroad, but I have never paid ten naira for graduate studies abroad, all because of mathematics. I earn a good stipend while my mates do menial jobs abroad, all because of mathematics. I can go on and on and on.

In fact, if there is one major thing, besides good health, safety and life, I usually thank God for, it is that I studied mathematics. Apart from medicine, I can comfortably become all of the above you stated.

Mathematics is it!

T22
i wanna meet you someday

(1) (Reply)

Oracle 10g Self Study Cdrom, How Good Is It? / Which Is Better Mba Marketing Or Finance? / Fidelity Bank, The Rot Within And Service Failure

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.