Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,243 members, 7,780,486 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 03:21 PM

Ringim To Retain Job Till Retirement In March - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Ringim To Retain Job Till Retirement In March (5452 Views)

Biafra: Igbos Want To Reconolize South-South-waziri Ringim / Home Of Former IGP, Hafiz-Ringim Bombed / Mass Retirement In Police Force - Ringim to Go (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ringim To Retain Job Till Retirement In March by koruji(m): 2:35am On Jan 23, 2012
A nation with low standards for its officials will not make it.

This is either the usual "regard for the big man" or just confusion within the presidency. In any case, how many lives would BH take before they find somebody "better" to replace Ringim, and the resolve to bring such a person on board.

http://www.punchng.com/news/ringim-to-retain-job-till-retirement-in-march/

January 23, 2012 by Olusola Fabiyi, Fidelis Soriwei and Adelani Adepegba, Abuja 8 Comments

President Goodluck Jonathan may have decided not to relieve the Inspector-General of Police, Mr. Hafiz Ringim, of his appointment, despite widespread speculation, last week, that the IGP was on his way out.

Speculation that Ringim might be sacked heightened after the IG was issued a query asking him to explain the escape of Boko Haram suspect, Mr. Kabir Sokoto.

Sokoto, suspected to have masterminded the Christmas Day bombing at the St. Theresa’s Catholic Church in Madalla, Niger State, escaped from Police custody last Monday, 24 hours after his arrest.

Ringim enjoys a very close personal relationship with the President as he was the Commissioner of Police in Bayelsa State  at a time the President was the Governor of the state. The President has always resisted calls for his sacking.

Critics have said that insecurity has worsened under the IGP and the violent Islamic sect, Boko Haram, has largely operated unchecked.

THE PUNCH learnt over the weekend that there was strong pressure on Jonathan to sack Ringim, under whose tenure the Boko Haram had bombed a string of high profile targets including the Force Headquarters in Abuja and the United Nations Office complex.

However, a source in government, who pleaded anonymity, told our correspondent that the Presidency had decided that Ringim should keep his job as he was bound to retire in March. The Presidency is believed to be working on a plan for a ‘dignified’ exit for the IGP.

Some of those who lobbied for Ringim to be retained reportedly told the President to allow him to finish his term in March. The lobbyists, who also copmprised some aides of the President, claimed that the saking of the IGP could  create problems for the President with the “North”.

The source said, “There is pressure everywhere to relieve the IG of his job. But for now, no decision has been taken on the man.

“His reply to the query is being looked into. The argument of some people is that he should be allowed to go quietly in March, which is just two months away.

“Already, January is gone; February is already here and it is the shortest month. So, he may be allowed to finish his tenure.”

The source, however, said the President was not happy that Ringim handed over the suspect to Mr. Zakari Biu, when he knew that both the officer and the suspect were from the same town. Sokoto and Zakare Biu are from Biu in Borno State.

“Was his action deliberate in order to facilitate the escape of the suspect? Or did he do it, thinking that the CP was the best officer to handle the investigation?

“If he feels that he is capable, is he the only officer that could do such a job? He needs to explain and convince the investigating panel about his action.”

The source said that apart from the above, the panel would also look at the fact, merit and demerit of his reply to the query.

But a source in one of the security agencies said the President was waiting for the findings of the security committee constituted by the office of the National Security Adviser, to probe the circumstances leading to the escape of Sokoto.

The source said that the security committee would interrogate the IG, the Commissioner of Police under whose care the suspect escaped from detention.

The source said, “You know that the Federal Government has set up a committee to look into this whole thing and the government is serious about it.

“You cannot just fire top officers of the IGP status when you are not very convinced and you don’t have hard facts to support your action; you must investigate such issues to arrive at decision.

“The Federal Government has set up a committee and the committee has commenced work since, and I think we should wait for the committee to submit its report.”

Critics of the government have however contended that the panel, the investigations and the search for a new IG, were parts of a plan to waste time so that the IGP could serve out his term.

Meanwhile, preparatory to Ringim’s eventual exit from the force, the President has commenced a search for a new Inspector-General of Police.

A source in the Presidency told our correspondent that some Deputy Inspectors-General of Police and Assistant Inspectors-General of Police had been invited for screening at the Presidential Villa, Abuja.

The DIGs were screened by senior government officials at the Presidential Villa last Thursday, while the AIGs are expected to come for interviews this week.

“The President is considering the performance and competence of the DIGs and AIGs and he has requested for their files to know who is best suited for the position,” a source said.

The DIGs were said to have been conducted to the office of the Chief of Staff from where they were taken before a panel to answer questions on their career and performance as police officers.

The DIGs included Mrs. Ivy Okoronkwo,   Mr. Azubuko Udah, (both representing South East geo-political zone); Alhaji Sardauna Abubakar, (from the North West zone); Audu Abubakar, (North East); Mohammed Yesufu, (South-South); and Saleh Abubakar (North Central).

The AIGs are Mohammed Zarewa-Force Secretary; Abubakar Mohammed, Zone 1, Kano; Suleiman Fakai- Zone 2, Lagos; AIG Ibrahim Madu, Zone 3, Yola; and AIG Aloysius Okorie -Zone 4, Makurdi.

Others are AIG Ibrahim Ahmed-Zone 5 Benin; Mohammed D. Abubakar, Zone 6, Calabar; Felix Ogbandu-Zone 7, Abuja;  Donald Irohan, Zone 8 Lokoja;  Mohammed M. Abass-Zone 9, Umuahia;  Sokoto Atiku Kafur,  Zone 10, Sokoto.

The list also include Saidu Daya-Zone 11 Osogbo;  Johnson Egbunam, Zone 12, Bauchi; Christopher Ola, Command Police Staff College, Jos; Bukar Maina, Police Intelligence FHQ, Abuja; Danlami Yar’adua-Command Police Academy, Kano.

The rest are Shehu Babalola, Border Patrol; Madueke Dax Uzu, Medical FHQ; Charles A. Cole, Air Wing FHQ; Idris Hadeja, Works; Jingi Misau Mohammed, Police Veterinary.
Re: Ringim To Retain Job Till Retirement In March by Odunnu: 4:10am On Jan 23, 2012
What a sickening joke!
Re: Ringim To Retain Job Till Retirement In March by EkoIle1: 6:12am On Jan 23, 2012
Dignified exit? Unfortunately, hundreds of blown up and dead Nigerians didn't get a dignified exit.

What else is new from this dumb idi.ot anyways?
Re: Ringim To Retain Job Till Retirement In March by nuclearboy(m): 6:59am On Jan 23, 2012
I wonder why "Odunnu" would see this as a sickening joke! Why? Is it not a decision made by the President who you insisted is the saviour and can do no wrong? Or has the president suddenly become fallible now?

I almost wish he'd appoint the IGP to the post of NSA the day after he resigns! That would allow us geteven more of the best of Ringim! This is what al your braying for Buhari's blood and insistence on a Christian (?) southern president brought about. And he has just started - go read about how he has handed over the niger-delta maritime operation to MEND!
Re: Ringim To Retain Job Till Retirement In March by solaugo(m): 7:03am On Jan 23, 2012
, UTME 2012 is on the 28th of March 2012, get your students busy @ www.utmesuccess.eu.pn, access UTME past questions online and receive your evaluation report immediately, share this link with students preparing for UTME 2012, Wishing you all success.
Re: Ringim To Retain Job Till Retirement In March by gulfer: 7:17am On Jan 23, 2012
koruji:

A nation with low standards for its officials will not make it.

This is either the usual "regard for the big man" or just confusion within the presidency. In any case, how many lives would BH take before they find somebody "better" to replace Ringim, and the resolve to bring such a person on board.

In January alone, we have had almost 300 deaths as a direct result of the IGP's incompetence and many others as a result of the inept and untrained policemen on our streets. What a way to reward; BTW I suggest he serves out the Jonathan Government's term till 2015.
Re: Ringim To Retain Job Till Retirement In March by brainpulse: 8:21am On Jan 23, 2012
, so even all nigeria is bombd, this guy will rmain as IG, i think the president knows about this bombing, he's hiding something that we dont know. May be he's is using BH as a bait to make nigeria brake. am very sure
Re: Ringim To Retain Job Till Retirement In March by Kolababa: 8:24am On Jan 23, 2012
This Joanathan is very funny o. Why does he choose to celebrate incomprtence in handling the security matter.
Re: Ringim To Retain Job Till Retirement In March by Nobody: 8:26am On Jan 23, 2012
The only way to get sacked in Nigeria is to
a. perform your duties well and honorably.
b. no settle the right people.
Re: Ringim To Retain Job Till Retirement In March by Odunnu: 8:37am On Jan 23, 2012
nuclearboy:

I wonder why "Odunnu" would see this as a sickening joke! Why? Is it not a decision made by the President who you insisted is the saviour and can do no wrong? Or has the president suddenly become fallible now?

I almost wish he'd appoint the IGP to the post of NSA the day after he resigns! That would allow us geteven more of the best of Ringim! This is what al your braying for Buhari's blood and insistence on a Christian (?) southern president brought about. And he has just started - go read about how he has handed over the niger-delta maritime operation to MEND!
You must be very immature to use that against me.
I have said it several times before now and i'll repeat it again for your likes.
There are times my parents who bore me make very annoying decisions, say things that not only hurt me but seem unrealistic, there are times I do same too and storm out of the house angrily yet in all this, you dare not insult any or both of them in my presence, i'll literally set you ablaze. It doesnt stop them from being the best parents in the world, it doesnt stop my loyalty, respect and obedience for them.
Likewise in the case of myJonathan. I'm not going to pull my support back because he made a decision, took a step I find 'sickening'. I voted him and he has my support till 2015.
Re: Ringim To Retain Job Till Retirement In March by kokoA(m): 8:40am On Jan 23, 2012
musKeeto:

The only way to get sacked in Nigeria is to
a. perform your duties well and honorably.
b. no settle the right people.

On point!
Re: Ringim To Retain Job Till Retirement In March by chuks49(m): 8:42am On Jan 23, 2012
Padi padi govt
Re: Ringim To Retain Job Till Retirement In March by maclatunji: 8:48am On Jan 23, 2012
Too much of everything is bad and too much of incompetence will eventually destroy incompetence. It is just unfortunate that so many poor people are being killed like chickens nay mosquitoes as a result.

I urge each and every sensible person to put pressure on President Jonathan. He is only interested in remaining in office and not exercising power. Boko Haram is exercising power in our faces and we seem helpless because our Commander-in-Chief is acting like the 'Chicken-in-Chief.'

Sad and Sickening!
Re: Ringim To Retain Job Till Retirement In March by smarttalks: 8:49am On Jan 23, 2012
smiley
Re: Ringim To Retain Job Till Retirement In March by smarttalks: 8:50am On Jan 23, 2012
smiley
Re: Ringim To Retain Job Till Retirement In March by maclatunji: 8:51am On Jan 23, 2012
Odunnu:

I have said it several times before now and i'll repeat it again for your likes.
There are times my parents who bore me make very annoying decisions, say things that not only hurt me but seem unrealistic, there are times I do same too and storm out of the house angrily yet in all this, you dare not insult any or both of them in my presence, i'll literally set you ablaze. It doesnt stop them from being the best parents in the world, it doesnt stop my loyalty, respect and obedience for them.
Likewise in the case of myJonathan. I'm not going to pull my support back because he made a decision, took a step I find 'sickening'. I voted him and he has my support till 2015.

Stop being a mindless minion to an incompetent leader. It rubs poorly on you.
Re: Ringim To Retain Job Till Retirement In March by opeo2000: 8:57am On Jan 23, 2012
The man for the job should be AIG ZONE 7,Mr. FELIX OGBAUDU,he has the experience,intelligence to crack down this boko haram once and for all,at the time he was commisioner he busted the famous okija shrine,he did excellently well in ph too which brought about the amenesty program.but for me personally let the FG GO AFTER THE SPONSORS.
Re: Ringim To Retain Job Till Retirement In March by nuclearboy(m): 9:01am On Jan 23, 2012
Odunnu:

Your own "maturity" would be appealing If I were a mental toddler like you! But since I am a reasoning adult, I'll tell you - your parents make decisions (which may atimes not sit well with you) based on love for you! Even dafties like you know that.

Tell me then - how many Nigerians have the love of a president who watches them being massacred and refuses to even choose a security chief that will attempt to change things??

But then you already answered using the word "sickening" so you do know the truth - you just are another stubborn mule who aside wearing human skin, are more suited to the midst of donkeys
Re: Ringim To Retain Job Till Retirement In March by Odunnu: 9:04am On Jan 23, 2012
maclatunji:

Your opinion boo, it doesnt increase my height by even an inch and it doesnt matter to me.
nuclearboy:

Your own "maturity" would be appealing If I were a mental toddler like you! But since I am a reasoning adult, I'll tell you - your parents make decisions (which may atimes not sit well with you) based on love for you! Even dafties like you know that.

Tell me then - how many Nigerians have the love of a president who watches them being massacred and refuses to even choose a security chief that will attempt to change things??

But then you already answered using the word "sickening" so you do know the truth - you just are another stubborn mule who aside wearing human skin, are more suited to the midst of donkeys
Your post is full of insults and like is natural with me, i'll rather ignore you and hopefully pray you learn how to relate with people positively than return with venom which 'fortunately' isnt a part of me. So long. . .
Re: Ringim To Retain Job Till Retirement In March by Raxxye(m): 9:05am On Jan 23, 2012
But come to think of it, who takes over from Ringim? Same crop of corrupt,incompetent, pot-bellies!
The solution to our security problems is still light years away. Except,of course, we seek help from countries with proven records of their ability to contend similar security challenges. Israel might just not be a bad option. My opinion.
Re: Ringim To Retain Job Till Retirement In March by upengineer: 9:06am On Jan 23, 2012
Lord, have mercy!
Re: Ringim To Retain Job Till Retirement In March by iyatrustee(f): 9:06am On Jan 23, 2012
i think its time to give dat female DIG okoronkwo the mantle of leadership. she might just be what we need now.
Re: Ringim To Retain Job Till Retirement In March by jmaine: 9:12am On Jan 23, 2012
Odunnu:

You said it well . . . Not supporting someone move 100% does not equate to having total regrets about that being . . .it appears folks are building camps anticipating people to engage in their harvest of unnecessary bitterness . . . . .But seriously, Ringim had to go , with the recent release of Sokoto . . . Wonder what kinda intrigues is going on currently  
Re: Ringim To Retain Job Till Retirement In March by Nobody: 9:14am On Jan 23, 2012
opeo2000:

The man for the job should be AIG ZONE 7,Mr. FELIX OGBAUDU,he has  the experience,intelligence to crack down this boko haram once and for all,at the time he was commisioner he busted the famous okija shrine,he did excellently well in ph too which brought about the amenesty program.but for me personally let the FG GO AFTER THE SPONSORS.

Felix Ogbaudu will achieve this feat single-handedly?
In a country where Boko Harem is present in all tiers of Government?
Re: Ringim To Retain Job Till Retirement In March by Ninapha(f): 9:36am On Jan 23, 2012
maclatunji:

What actually makes a leader incompetent? Decision making could be either here or there, yes the ability to make functional decision is highly expected of a president.  Most of you were shouting that the decision to remove subsidy was suicidal now you expect him to make another hasty one just to please you.  He has not said he wont remove him though but even if he decides, hv you weighed the harm and benefit.  Most importantly People should understand the predicament of our president.  Nigeria running a multi-party system is one of our major problems and that's why people like bakare who  have no particular agenda could raise their voices against Good luck.  

Goodluck has not failed for now, Its the opposition parties that are trying so hard to make create problems in Nigeria and i still insist that who ever that is behind boko haram must be of the hausa origin, past presidential candidate who has good idea about the presidency  a Muslim and his motive is political and not religious.  
Re: Ringim To Retain Job Till Retirement In March by baslone: 10:02am On Jan 23, 2012
Eko Ile:

Dignified exit? Unfortunately, hundreds of blown up and dead Nigerians didn't get a dignified exit.

In fact, I'm really short of words! Are these people m.aaad!!!!!!  shocked

Odunnu:

I lost a friend Ibrahim Muhd Datti in the Kano blast. May his soul rest in peace and may his dying not be in vain.

I don't wish death on anybody but I'm actually wondering what your opinion would be if this happened to someone close to you(God Forbid).

GEJ is there living lavida loca in the midst of his israeli guards. Does he care about you, your security or your support- I don't think so!  angry

You are f^ck*ing on your owwwwnnnn!!!!!!
Re: Ringim To Retain Job Till Retirement In March by maclatunji: 10:06am On Jan 23, 2012
Ninapha:

What actually makes a leader incompetent? Decision making could be either here or there, yes the ability to make functional decision is highly expected of a president.  Most of you were shouting that the decision to remove subsidy was suicidal now you expect him to make another hasty one just to please you.  He has not said he wont remove him though but even if he decides, hv you weighed the harm and benefit.  Most importantly People should understand the predicament of our president.  Nigeria running a multi-party system is one of our major problems and that's why people like bakare who  have no particular agenda could raise their voices against Good luck.  

Goodluck has not failed for now, Its the opposition parties that are trying so hard to make create problems in Nigeria and i still insist that who ever that is behind boko haram must be of the hausa origin, past presidential candidate who has good idea about the presidency  a Muslim and his motive is political and not religious.  

Just read what you just typed there: does it read reasonable to you? Before Fashola got into power, Lagos State was a Den of Armed Robbers, killing people and robbing banks at will. Within his first tenure, he brought the crime wave down to a very low-level. It wasn't done with magic, it was done by making common-sensical decisions promptly.

See, I have no sympathy for GEJ because I know he is not up to the task. Let me give an example, David Mark may be arrogant and not-to-be-trusted with our economy, but in terms of security, he would have done a better job. I don't like him but I am objective enough to recognise his capacity to deal with Boko Haram.

Ringim boasted that Boko Haram was defeated, barely 2 days later they attacked Police Headquarters! If that is not incompetence, I don't know what is. Okay, tell me what Ringim and Jonathan's clear and detailed plan to defeat Boko Haram is- not just vague declarations.

I wouldn't care about people like you, but it is just that GEJ in his simple mind reads comments like yours and thinks he is doing something useful to move Nigeria forward when it is obvious that we are retrogressing under his leadership.
Re: Ringim To Retain Job Till Retirement In March by floriana(m): 10:25am On Jan 23, 2012
At the rate of 100 per day, retaining Ringim will only cause 6,700 Nigerian lives. That is nothing significant when you consider our population of 150 million.
Re: Ringim To Retain Job Till Retirement In March by Ninapha(f): 10:58am On Jan 23, 2012
maclatunji:

Just read what you just typed there: does it read reasonable to you? Before Fashola got into power, Lagos State was a Den of Armed Robbers, killing people and robbing banks at will. Within his first tenure, he brought the crime wave down to a very low-level. It wasn't done with magic, it was done by making common-sensical decisions promptly.

See, I have no sympathy for GEJ because I know he is not up to the task. Let me give an example, David Mark may be arrogant and not-to-be-trusted with our economy, but in terms of security, he would have done a better job. I don't like him but I am objective enough to recognise his capacity to deal with Boko Haram.

Ringim boasted that Boko Haram was defeated, barely 2 days later they attacked Police Headquarters! If that is not incompetence, I don't know what is. Okay, tell me what Ringim and Jonathan's clear and detailed plan to defeat Boko Haram is- not just vague declarations.

I wouldn't care about people like you, but it is just that GEJ in his simple mind reads comments like yours and thinks he is doing something useful to move Nigeria forward when it is obvious that we are retrogressing under his leadership.

What seems reasonable to you may be unreasonable to another.  The fact remains that whether you care about people like us or not Nigeria may never make decision on ur clumsy objectives.  How long did it take Obama to get to Osama.  Bomb Blasts occur in different part of the world and till date there has never been a one free nation.  Yes there is a problem here and needs urgent attention but every decision must be carefully weighed not because you so wished it so but because there are one million people who understand the situation better than you and are close to give better advice void of sentiments like urs. .  Do you think sacking Rigim is the solution to the problem at hand. 

Good luck has not failed and if you think he has then Nigerians has failed one million times over.  Because even you have not done what you are suppose to do to help the security of this nation. pronto!
Re: Ringim To Retain Job Till Retirement In March by jpphilips(m): 11:15am On Jan 23, 2012

i pray that this Govt will give you the fortitude to bear the loss of your common sense, seems you are having fun with j boy.
at the peak of security volatility, he removed fuel subsidy, what else is incompetence in your words? just before you answer; are you competent in your line of duty?

who are the opposition ghosts? is it not the incompetence of this administration that fuels the agenda of the opposition?

when you don't think, people will surely think for you. one fact is clear about this farm called Nigeria;

"people don't get things on merit" it is absolutely near impossible to fire them when they screw up so the nations wallows in gross ineptitude.

corruption is a chain reaction, it is costing us money (subsidizing corruption) it is costing lives (incompetence)

when the right thing is done in this country, it seems like a miracle cos people ordinarily, people don't expect the right thing to be done

i feel sorry for you

What seems reasonable to you may be unreasonable to another. The fact remains that whether you care about people like us or not Nigeria may never make decision on ur clumsy objectives. How long did it take Obama to get to Osama. Bomb Blasts occur in different part of the world and till date there has never been a one free nation. Yes there is a problem here and needs urgent attention but every decision must be carefully weighed not because you so wished it so but because there are one million people who understand the situation better than you and are close to give better advice void of sentiments like urs. .

if the reasonable speak with a majority voice and you think otherwise, then you have a problem, either you are a descendant of beaf or you were Self-Service.i.n.g while typing.

after all if someone like Atedo peterside could come on AIT to allege that subsidy is for the rich who have so many cars as such should be removed. i still wonder how deep corruption has eroded common sense in this country.

Re: Ringim To Retain Job Till Retirement In March by maclatunji: 11:20am On Jan 23, 2012
^More blessings!
Re: Ringim To Retain Job Till Retirement In March by Ninapha(f): 11:27am On Jan 23, 2012
@JP Philips:

Unfortunately you dont understand Administration.  Running the administration of a country is not same with your committee of friends club where you talk over issues while drinking.  We are talking about serious issues here that require every aspect of consideration.

And if you think otherwise why not call a press conference.  What you think is reasonable is to sack the IGP.  Good but what i think is that people like you and Peterside should keep quite and wait for knowledgeable people to fix the problem. Subsidy is not our problem our problem is people like you and Peterside!

(1) (2) (Reply)

Economic Hardship : Fedrick Onuigbo Set Himself Ablaze In Abuja / Biafra Is For Only The South East - Radio Biafra / Breaking News : Biafran Agitators Granted Referendum By The US (VIDEO)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 87
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.