Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,590 members, 7,809,136 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 12:53 AM

Hungry-man-sent-to-prison-for-stealing-n20-onion - Crime - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / Hungry-man-sent-to-prison-for-stealing-n20-onion (3326 Views)

I Benefited N65,000 From My Uncle’s Kidnap; Send Me To Prison – Suspect Begs / Man Sent To Prison Over Marriage Fraud (Photo) / Woman Sent To Prison A Week To Her Wedding (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Hungry-man-sent-to-prison-for-stealing-n20-onion by stepo707: 3:36pm On Jan 23, 2012
http://pmnewsnigeria.com/2012/01/23/hungry-man-sent-to-prison-for-stealing-n20-onion/comment-page-1/#comment-184978

A 33-year-old man, Opeyemi Ayomide, has been arrested by the police in Lagos State, Southwest Nigeria and later charged before the Ojokoro Magistrate’s Court with stealing onion worth N20.

Ayomide was alleged to have gone inside Oke-Odo market near Iyana Ipaja, Lagos on 14 January this year during the fuel subsidy strike and stole the onion, eggs and a tuber of yam.

When the trader selling the onion, Bala Adamu, accosted him, he was still holding a knife and he forcefully took the onion from Adamu’s table.

The trader raised an alarm and his colleagues apprehended opeyemi who claimed he needed the onion to fry his eggs to eat yam.

But during police investigation, it was discovered that Opeyemi had stolen the yam tuber and egg in the same market in like manner that he had stolen the onion.

P.M. NEWS gathered that Opeyemi gave the same explanation to the police that he did not steal the egg, yam and onion but he was hungry and need to eat.

Police ignored his explanation and charged him to court.

According to the police prosecutor, the offence Opeyemi committed is contrary to sections 285 and 238 of the criminal code laws of Lagos State of Nigeria.

When the charge was read to him, Opeyemi told the court that he did not see himself as a thief.

He said he took the items because he was hungry and he pleaded not guilty.

The presiding magistrate, Mrs A.F. Adeeyo, admitted him to bail in the sum of N20,000 with one surety in like sum.

The matter was adjourned till 10 February, 2012 for mention.

Opeyemi was remanded in prison custody as no one came to stand surety for him.
Re: Hungry-man-sent-to-prison-for-stealing-n20-onion by sammy6(m): 5:27pm On Jan 23, 2012
How sad, when the real criminals are stealing Trillions and are being celebrated. cry
Re: Hungry-man-sent-to-prison-for-stealing-n20-onion by lifestyle1(m): 10:24am On Jan 24, 2012
How many years imprisonment ? undecided
Re: Hungry-man-sent-to-prison-for-stealing-n20-onion by Augustinaz(m): 10:26am On Jan 24, 2012
God have mercy.

Onions Yam and Eggs landed a man in jail when the sellers could have shown mercy on him.

Jonathan supposed to release this man, and give this young man some millions out of his One billion naira feeding allowance.

One man dey chop 1 billion per annum for food, and here is another man being sent to jail because of hunger.

God save us.
Re: Hungry-man-sent-to-prison-for-stealing-n20-onion by aieromon(m): 10:29am On Jan 24, 2012
Dammit,this guy like better food.Why e no fit fry him egg like that?
Re: Hungry-man-sent-to-prison-for-stealing-n20-onion by LoveKing(m): 10:29am On Jan 24, 2012
grin abeg move to jokes oh! lmffao
Re: Hungry-man-sent-to-prison-for-stealing-n20-onion by Nobody: 10:32am On Jan 24, 2012
lol,

see what hunger haff caused,
Re: Hungry-man-sent-to-prison-for-stealing-n20-onion by Nobody: 10:33am On Jan 24, 2012
shocked shocked shocked

Chei!!! See wetin poverty don cause?
Re: Hungry-man-sent-to-prison-for-stealing-n20-onion by Kolababa: 10:34am On Jan 24, 2012
That judge must be crazy. Instead of him to look at the man condition, he was granting him bail of N200000. How can an hungry man of that gravity get N20000? Whereas people that steal billions of Naira are walking freely in the society.

"Surely when the elites among them steal of commit a crime, they pardon them but when the weak ones commit the same offence, they enforce the law and punish them. I swear by Allah, if Fatimah my daughter stole, I would cut her hand"
(By Prophet Muhamed S.A.W)

this is why Shariah cannot be used in the northern part of Nigeria. Those calling for Shariah are just noise makers because most of those big thiefs like IBB, Atiku and co. in the north will face the full wrath of law an ordinary man faces.
Re: Hungry-man-sent-to-prison-for-stealing-n20-onion by anishe(m): 10:36am On Jan 24, 2012
The judgement is wrong. he steals because he needs to eat! the law is supposed to berelaxed in this case since the guy was hungry before the stealing
Re: Hungry-man-sent-to-prison-for-stealing-n20-onion by ollyruffy: 10:38am On Jan 24, 2012
Nigga! Na wah ooo

Noboby arrest police when they estort "shandi" 20naira from motorists on nigerian roads

Police will not see the real thiefs (government officials) stealing national treasury dry and prosecute them

Police cannot face Boko Haram but are swift to trigger against harmless peaceful protesters or children playing football on the streets

Jonathan is eating 1 billion naira food per year while a nigerian is going to jail for stealing yam, egg and onions

The "cabal" as they are called stole 1.3 trillion naira and got national awards
The list is just too long.

I pity this country!
Re: Hungry-man-sent-to-prison-for-stealing-n20-onion by eghost247(m): 10:42am On Jan 24, 2012
[size=15pt]Alubosa hahahahaha anyway the judgement sounds abit harsh even the bail 20k comon[/size]
Re: Hungry-man-sent-to-prison-for-stealing-n20-onion by MemeInc(m): 10:58am On Jan 24, 2012
hmmmm, police sef suppose go court na
the #20 extortion wey dem dey take nko?
which section dat one dey ?
Nigeria, good people, black minds, dumb brains
Re: Hungry-man-sent-to-prison-for-stealing-n20-onion by Bestglo(f): 10:59am On Jan 24, 2012
This is a clear case of a "poor man wey steal maggi them go show him face for crime fighter"

Lord have mercy
Re: Hungry-man-sent-to-prison-for-stealing-n20-onion by juman(m): 10:59am On Jan 24, 2012
The guy joined the list of awaiting trail people in prison.

I laughed.

Leave the leaders let them enjoin their loots and the people suffering.

There will be a time when be an armed robber will the be vogue and order of the day for the youth.

Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa, the country would be on siege.

Hiss.
Re: Hungry-man-sent-to-prison-for-stealing-n20-onion by Judexman(m): 11:01am On Jan 24, 2012
halahala, funny tins
Re: Hungry-man-sent-to-prison-for-stealing-n20-onion by Nobody: 11:03am On Jan 24, 2012
this is what we 're talking about, poor man are hungry only 1 person is using 1 billion for feeding allowance angry
Re: Hungry-man-sent-to-prison-for-stealing-n20-onion by Nobody: 11:03am On Jan 24, 2012
This is nonsense.It shows that this guy is one of the few people that cant afford a 3 square meal yet jonathan removed subsidy on petrol.When a rich steals,he's sent to 3 months imprisonment but if na poor man,he's sent to life imprisonment.May God bless the chinese for being harsh on thieving politicians.What a crazy shiithole i call a country.
Re: Hungry-man-sent-to-prison-for-stealing-n20-onion by babaowo: 11:09am On Jan 24, 2012
Ha! This one sad oooo! The judge so wicked on the Poor guy.
Re: Hungry-man-sent-to-prison-for-stealing-n20-onion by kingsilly(m): 11:10am On Jan 24, 2012
Eyaaaaaa, e go beta, na oil i dey use chop yam shaaa
Re: Hungry-man-sent-to-prison-for-stealing-n20-onion by Ymodulus: 11:14am On Jan 24, 2012
[b]food e no dey Oga water no dey. POOR MAN STEAL MAGGI dey go show him face for PRIME FIGHTER, tell me something i Know No.[/B]
Re: Hungry-man-sent-to-prison-for-stealing-n20-onion by Nobody: 11:20am On Jan 24, 2012
Having faulted the judge's ruling, which good samaritan would bail this man out with N20k?
Re: Hungry-man-sent-to-prison-for-stealing-n20-onion by saintneo(m): 11:20am On Jan 24, 2012
rubbish, there is no sentiments in law. the man is an armed robber who threaten traders with a knife so as to have their goods. hungry r not, the an should be charged with robbery and assault.

Do not judge me based on sentiments but we must use our heads. What we should ask ourselves, is if everyone is hungry and decides to go to a shop and rubs the shop to fill the stomach. What will the entire society turn into?
Re: Hungry-man-sent-to-prison-for-stealing-n20-onion by Tytguy: 11:25am On Jan 24, 2012
its a pity,dis just shows d diff btw d have and the havenot in dis nation, bt no mata wat thief na thief wether maggi,#20,onion,chiken or billions of naira.
may god save dis nation
Re: Hungry-man-sent-to-prison-for-stealing-n20-onion by OK2NV: 11:27am On Jan 24, 2012
$ammy:

How sad, when the real criminals are stealing Trillions and are being celebrated. cry
He took advantage of the near anarchy to loot. If this same man had an oppurtunity to gain access to a bank vault or your own house he would have done the same.
Theif nah theif

valacious:

Having faulted the judge's ruling, which good samaritan would bail this man out with N20k?
he did threaten the trader with a knife that makes him an armed robber.
case closed.
~Bluetooth:

This is nonsense.It shows that this guy is one of the few people that cant afford a 3 square meal yet jonathan removed subsidy on petrol.When a rich steals,he's sent to 3 months imprisonment but if na poor man,he's sent to life imprisonment.May God bless the chinese for being harsh on thieving politicians.What a crazy shiithole i call a country.
a large proportion of Nigerians including myself have at one time or still experiencing hardship.Hunger is not an excuse to steal.
If he were a young boy or a child, I would have understood. But here is a 33yr old man stealing food.

anishe:

The judgement is wrong. he steals because he needs to eat! the law is supposed to berelaxed in this case since the guy was hungry before the stealing
how do you know if he was hungry at the time of committing the crime? Oppurtunity makes a theif. this guy is a kleptomaniac. He is the kind of guy that will steal shitt cos he sees it.
Re: Hungry-man-sent-to-prison-for-stealing-n20-onion by lakesider(m): 11:32am On Jan 24, 2012
In heaven, nigeria government will answer for most of our sins
Re: Hungry-man-sent-to-prison-for-stealing-n20-onion by Suntemi(m): 11:34am On Jan 24, 2012
saintneo:

rubbish, there is no sentiments in law. the man is an armed robber who threaten traders with a knife so as to have their goods. hungry r not, the an should be charged with robbery and assault.

Do not judge me based on sentiments but we must use our heads. What we should ask ourselves, is if everyone is hungry and decides to go to a shop and rubs the shop to fill the stomach. What will the entire society turn into?

You are right but what other posters are saying is "Same punishment should be used on Politicians too based on the magnitude of the money they stole."

lakesider:

In heaven, nigeria government will answer for most of our sins

grin grin grin
Re: Hungry-man-sent-to-prison-for-stealing-n20-onion by OK2NV: 11:35am On Jan 24, 2012
no nah devil cos am no be nigerian gov.

why are u niggahs so irresponsible? why cant u take responsibilities for ur actions without blaming others for your predicaments?
is there any place on the planet that is descent to live and has a high population of niggaz?
hell no!
niggaz are the worst scourge to aflict the world.
Re: Hungry-man-sent-to-prison-for-stealing-n20-onion by manny4life(m): 11:36am On Jan 24, 2012
N20?

I do not endorse stealing but aren't there provisions in the law that stipulates the amount (value) of stolen goods that carries if it's misdemeanor or felony? This is a mere misdemeanor with no ill intention, what is Nigeria turning into? Nigerians need to take street justice on all these judges who are partial, angry angry angry
Re: Hungry-man-sent-to-prison-for-stealing-n20-onion by dave2(m): 2:12pm On Jan 24, 2012
Uncle Bode George stole over N20b and he was given some few months imprisonment.
What a shame? embarassed embarassed embarassed embarassed

(1) (Reply)

See How A Thief That Stole A Phone Was Brutalized This Afternoon In Ogun-state / Just In: Nkwo Nnewi Business Mogul, Chief Pius Ogbuawa Is Dead / Enough Is Enough For Nigerians In the US

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.