Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,817 members, 7,806,296 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 02:14 PM

The Usa Now Accuses Turkey Of Committing Genocide Against Armenia In World War 1 - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / The Usa Now Accuses Turkey Of Committing Genocide Against Armenia In World War 1 (3080 Views)

Nigerian Fulani Militants Named As Fourth Deadliest Terror Group In World / VANGUARD: Danjuma’s Comments Confirm Genocide Against Igbo – Achuzia / Bilie Files Case With ICC Against Nigeria For Genocide Against Biafra/igbo (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Usa Now Accuses Turkey Of Committing Genocide Against Armenia In World War 1 by denex: 2:02pm On Oct 11, 2007
The USA Government has embarked on a process of classifying the war between Turks and Armenians during World War 1 as GENOCIDE committed by Turkey.

This is good news. So finally a war fought about a hundred years ago now has the dignity of being classed by the USA as genocide.

The question is, why now? After all these years, decades and almost a century.

Is it because Turkey is now having a mind of its own? Is it because the Turkish Government wants to take action against Iraqis who have been provoking them?

Or does the USA believe it has a monopoly over genocide?

The absolute massacre of Native Americans that reduced them from a majority group to a single family should now be classified as what?

The daily slaughter of Afghans and Iraqis which statistics pile up in the media everyday is what?

Please let Iraq be a free-for-all. No monopoly of genocide will be tolerated. Is it wrong for the Turkish and Iranians to want to send their young deviants to Iraq to engage in the first major genocide of the new millenium?
Re: The Usa Now Accuses Turkey Of Committing Genocide Against Armenia In World War 1 by ochocinco1(m): 3:16pm On Oct 11, 2007
Denex, you must remember that the initiative is largely the work of the Democrat controlled Congress.

Bush tried to persuade, unsuccessfully, Congress from issuing the declaration, citing the importance of Turkey as
a supply route to the effort in Iraq.
Re: The Usa Now Accuses Turkey Of Committing Genocide Against Armenia In World War 1 by Kobojunkie: 5:27pm On Oct 11, 2007
Good Idea Uumm,  How come?? Why do we need to know NOW that the USA classes what happened over 90 years ago as genocide?? Why is it so important that we now KNow what we have known all alonG?? and why NOW with the situation in Iraq
Re: The Usa Now Accuses Turkey Of Committing Genocide Against Armenia In World War 1 by debosky(m): 5:41pm On Oct 11, 2007
What is really the issue here - the genocide committed against the Armenians (a known fact, something the Turkish have been trying to repress for decades)

or the fact that the Americans are now involved in 'designating' what happened as Genocide?

Denex and co need to realise that 'America' is not a monolithic organization which speaks with one voice all the time, The Republican Executive is not in support of this motion, while the Democratic led Congress wants to achieve this. The democrats also want to end the war in Iraq, so it is very mischevious at the worst or ignorant at best to impute that the rationale behind this action is to 'whip Turkey in line' or pressurize them to follow US policy.

By the way, whether the US likes it or not Turkey has and will continue to send its forces over the Iraq border to attack Kurdish rebels hiding there, it happened before Hussein got taken out, and is still happening now.
Re: The Usa Now Accuses Turkey Of Committing Genocide Against Armenia In World War 1 by ochocinco1(m): 5:43pm On Oct 11, 2007
@DEBOSKY

are you part of the Davidylan/I-man/Tayo-d Clique or part of the Denex/Afam/?

Or do you Rep yourself like me ? grin
Re: The Usa Now Accuses Turkey Of Committing Genocide Against Armenia In World War 1 by debosky(m): 5:48pm On Oct 11, 2007
@ ocho

I speak my mind and what I understand about issues, I don't do cliques neither do I believe in them.

Even those guys you classified as being in cahoots also differ on certain issues, it depends on the current subject matter.
Re: The Usa Now Accuses Turkey Of Committing Genocide Against Armenia In World War 1 by Iman3(m): 6:31pm On Oct 11, 2007
ocho cinco:

Or do you Rep yourself like me ? grin

See this leftist Moonbat grin grin Probably thinks Noam Chomsky and Michael Moore are demi-gods grin
Re: The Usa Now Accuses Turkey Of Committing Genocide Against Armenia In World War 1 by ochocinco1(m): 6:33pm On Oct 11, 2007
I-man:

See this leftist Moonbat grin grin Probably thinks Noam Chomsky and Michael Moore are demi-gods grin

Aren't they ex members of the sex pistols grin
Re: The Usa Now Accuses Turkey Of Committing Genocide Against Armenia In World War 1 by Iman3(m): 6:36pm On Oct 11, 2007
I guess Denex will be torn by too conflicting factors.On the one hand Bush is against this measure,on the other the Turks are Muslims.I don't think he knew Bush is against it grin

ocho cinco:

Aren't they ex members of the sex pistols grin

Wow. . . .he even thinks they are rock stars grin Bloody librulls!
Re: The Usa Now Accuses Turkey Of Committing Genocide Against Armenia In World War 1 by Kobojunkie: 7:49pm On Oct 11, 2007
I-man:

GOSH!!! I have to steal that one , LEFTISH MOONBAT cheesy grin cheesy cheesy grin cheesy grin cheesy
Re: The Usa Now Accuses Turkey Of Committing Genocide Against Armenia In World War 1 by babasin(m): 8:03pm On Oct 11, 2007
and what about millions of africans killed and dumped in ocean by US doing Slavery time: genocide or friendly killing?

believe this you believe anything

grin cheesy
Re: The Usa Now Accuses Turkey Of Committing Genocide Against Armenia In World War 1 by Iman3(m): 8:08pm On Oct 11, 2007
babasin:

and what about millions of africans killed and dumped in ocean by US doing Slavery time: genocide or friendly killing?
believe this you believe anything
grin cheesy

Does the US deny the slave trade?Turkey continues to reject calls to acknowledge the genocide
Re: The Usa Now Accuses Turkey Of Committing Genocide Against Armenia In World War 1 by adconline(m): 10:06pm On Oct 11, 2007
Some of us have to understand the root cause of this controversy. The Turkish Noble laureate was taken to court because of this issue. I think an Armenia Journalist was killed by ultra-nationalists for challenging the status quo. It’s against the law in Turkey to offend "Turkishness" which includes talking about the genocide. I know of a Bulgarian who hates Turkey with a passion because of this issue. Just imagine Nigeria not acknowledging Civil war or June 12 Saga or Germany not acknowledging Holocaust.
Re: The Usa Now Accuses Turkey Of Committing Genocide Against Armenia In World War 1 by debosky(m): 10:13pm On Oct 11, 2007
Help the likes of Babasin understand this,

Some people regard anything the Americans do as starting and ending with their purported 'personal interests'

The Armenians have been calling on Turkey to admit this heinous act, but it refuses to.
Re: The Usa Now Accuses Turkey Of Committing Genocide Against Armenia In World War 1 by Danmasani(m): 10:24pm On Oct 11, 2007
adconline:

Some of us have to understand the root cause of this controversy. The Turkish Noble laureate was taken to court because of this issue. I think an Armenia Journalist was killed by ultra-nationalists for challenging the status quo. It’s against the law in Turkey to offend "Turkishness" which includes talking about the genocide. I know of a Bulgarian who hates Turkey with a passion because of this issue. Just imagine Nigeria not acknowledging Civil war or June 12 Saga or Germany not acknowledging Holocaust.

How about the dropping of the first and only atomic bomb in this world in Japan!! I don't hear anyone trying to classify it as genocide or mass killing. Rather all i see is that "Japan surrendered after the Hiroshima bombing". Seems like language and words vary for same atrocities abi??
Re: The Usa Now Accuses Turkey Of Committing Genocide Against Armenia In World War 1 by toshmann(m): 11:31pm On Oct 11, 2007
the only country to produce ans use WMD.
nobody is talking
Re: The Usa Now Accuses Turkey Of Committing Genocide Against Armenia In World War 1 by Nobody: 11:44pm On Oct 11, 2007
Danmasani:

How about the dropping of the first and only atomic bomb in this world in Japan!! I don't hear anyone trying to classify it as genocide or mass killing. Rather all i see is that "Japan surrendered after the Hiroshima bombing". Seems like language and words vary for same atrocities abi??

Do you understand the fundamental difference between a genocide and a war?

So is Isreal's defeat of Egypt at the 6 day war an act of genocide too?
Re: The Usa Now Accuses Turkey Of Committing Genocide Against Armenia In World War 1 by Kobojunkie: 12:06am On Oct 12, 2007
toshmann:

the only country to produce ans use WMD.
nobody is talking

That was actually during a war. Yes, ever head of what happened at Pearl Harbor?? yeah, it was a war!!
Re: The Usa Now Accuses Turkey Of Committing Genocide Against Armenia In World War 1 by toshmann(m): 12:17am On Oct 12, 2007
so if north korea or iraq should use thier WMD (IF THEY HAVE ANY) on any nation at war it is okay? huh?
Re: The Usa Now Accuses Turkey Of Committing Genocide Against Armenia In World War 1 by Kobojunkie: 12:20am On Oct 12, 2007
toshmann:

so if north korea or iraq should use their WMD (IF THEY HAVE ANY) on any nation at war it is okay? huh?

Ok, Let me get you the information

I know wiki is not 100% but it might give you a better idea of what I mean when I say it was used during the war

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Attack_on_Pearl_Harbor
Re: The Usa Now Accuses Turkey Of Committing Genocide Against Armenia In World War 1 by Iman3(m): 12:24am On Oct 12, 2007
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/world/europe/article2641064.ece

From The Times archives: 'the Armenian massacres'
How The Times reported the story on Friday October 8, 1915
Re: The Usa Now Accuses Turkey Of Committing Genocide Against Armenia In World War 1 by toshmann(m): 12:25am On Oct 12, 2007
i know about pearl habour. do you know what WMD is? i'm sure you do. let me remind you, the bombs in japan was devastating even to children born 20yrs after the bomb. not including the over 80,000 estimated killed instantly. guy there is no comparison btw pearl habour and hiroshima(not even including nagasaki)
Re: The Usa Now Accuses Turkey Of Committing Genocide Against Armenia In World War 1 by Iman3(m): 12:28am On Oct 12, 2007
@Toshman

Simple question.Has the Japanese Parliament ever referred to Hiroshima and Nagasaki as genocide?
Re: The Usa Now Accuses Turkey Of Committing Genocide Against Armenia In World War 1 by toshmann(m): 12:30am On Oct 12, 2007
I-Man simple answer . . . . i don't know

I-Man simple question . . . were the massive deaths from the bombs at hiroshima and nagasaki not genocide?
Re: The Usa Now Accuses Turkey Of Committing Genocide Against Armenia In World War 1 by ochocinco1(m): 12:34am On Oct 12, 2007
@kobojunkie

I don't know which genocides occur out of peaceful conditions. They always occur under conditions of belligerence of some sort.

The Armenian 'genocide' was a first world war matter for example.

So the Hiroshima and Nagasaki bombings can not excluded on that basis.
Re: The Usa Now Accuses Turkey Of Committing Genocide Against Armenia In World War 1 by toshmann(m): 12:36am On Oct 12, 2007
tell them angry
Re: The Usa Now Accuses Turkey Of Committing Genocide Against Armenia In World War 1 by Kobojunkie: 12:38am On Oct 12, 2007
ocho cinco:

@kobojunkie

I don't know which genocides occur out of peaceful conditions. They always occur under conditions of belligerence of some sort.

T
toshmann:

i know about pearl habour. do you know what WMD is? i'm sure you do. let me remind you, the bombs in japan was devastating even to children born 20yrs after the bomb. not including the over 80,000 estimated killed instantly. guy there is no comparison between pearl habour and hiroshima(not even including nagasaki)

gen·o·cide (jn-sd)
n.
The systematic and planned extermination of an entire national, racial, political, or ethnic group.

NO TIME IN HISTORY HAS JAPAN ACCUSED THE US OF GENOCIDE, EVen With Hiroshima. Going about Labeling every death GENOCIDE is not the way it works. You have to CONSIDER what Happened. During the very war you claim, JAPAN has it's own MEN KILL THEMSELVES. Again , NOTICE JAPAN is not SCREAMING GENOCIDE. and NOTICE the meaning of the word GENOCIDE. WAR IS WAR. GENOCIDE is not the SAME!!
Re: The Usa Now Accuses Turkey Of Committing Genocide Against Armenia In World War 1 by Iman3(m): 12:38am On Oct 12, 2007
toshmann:

I-Man simple question . . . was the massing death from the bombs at hiroshima and nagasaki not genocide?

Since the Japanese Parliament doesn't see it as genocide but an unfortunate consequence of war,I as a Nigerian cannot cry more than the bereaved.

I don't see what Hiroshima/Nagasaki has to do with the shocking failure of Turkey to acknowledge the genocide of over 1 million Armenians.Its not just that it happened but that the Turks ignore it.Imagine if the Western world denies that the Trans-Atlantic slave trade took place.What is more appalling than for a people to be massacred and for the perpetrators refuse to acknowledge it?
Re: The Usa Now Accuses Turkey Of Committing Genocide Against Armenia In World War 1 by Kobojunkie: 12:39am On Oct 12, 2007
I-man:

Since the Japanese Parliament doesn't see it as genocide but an unfortunate consequence of war,I as a Nigerian cannot cry more than the bereaved.

I don't see what Hiroshima/Nagasaki has to do with the shocking failure of Turkey to acknowledge the genocide of over 1 million Armenians.Its not just that it happened but that the Turks ignore it.Imagine if the Western world denies that the Trans-Atlantic slave trade took place.What is more appalling than for a people to be massacred and for the perpetrators refuse to acknowledge it?

I am so glad you see the difference @I-man
Re: The Usa Now Accuses Turkey Of Committing Genocide Against Armenia In World War 1 by toshmann(m): 12:42am On Oct 12, 2007
I-man i can see that you refused to give  a simple answer like the one i gave for your simple question. therefore i repeat the simple question

I-Man, was the massive deaths resulting from the bombing of Hiroshima and Nagasaki not genocide

if genocide is the systematic, planned extermination of a race. . . . .i ask, was the bombing not systematic, was it not planned, was it not capable of exterminating a race/ethnic etc. . . i need simple answers pls
Re: The Usa Now Accuses Turkey Of Committing Genocide Against Armenia In World War 1 by Kobojunkie: 12:42am On Oct 12, 2007
ocho cinco:

@kobojunkie

Another thing I want to add is this. No, the Armenian Genocide issue happened DURING world war I but the genocide was not part of the war. That is almost same as saying Hitler's anihilation of millions of jews and gypsies was part of world war II since it happened during war world II period. NO. What happened with the Hitler and the killings would be GENOCIDE, but the killing of soldiers during the actual WaR was simply war. Two completely different things that happened during the same time frame
Re: The Usa Now Accuses Turkey Of Committing Genocide Against Armenia In World War 1 by Kobojunkie: 12:44am On Oct 12, 2007
toshmann:

I-man i can see that you refused to give  a simple answer like the one i gave for your simple question. therefore i repeat the simple question

I-Man, was the massive deaths resulting from the bombing of Hiroshima and Nagasaki not genocide

if genocide is the systematic, planned extermination of a race. . . . .i ask, was the bombing not systematic, was it not planned, was it not capable of exterminating a race/ethnic etc. . . i need simple answers please

I can give you an answer. NO IT WAS NOT.  What happened was quite unfortunate but JAPAN itself knew not to consider it GENOCIDE. WHY should we?? Just cause you feel it should for some reason that Japan does not know of and has not already considered

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Fg Set To Concession Lagos-benin Expressway / Gunmen Kill 19 In Communal Clash In Village In Zamfara. / Is Goodluck Jonathan Any Better Than Sabo Bakin Zuwo

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.