Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,316 members, 7,808,067 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 06:29 AM

The Need To Have A Tyre Pressure Guage - Car Talk (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / The Need To Have A Tyre Pressure Guage (11588 Views)

How To Handle A Tyre Burst While Driving At Top Speed (Photos) / Ideal Long Trip Tyre Pressure To Avoid Tyre Burst / Correct Tyre Pressure (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Need To Have A Tyre Pressure Guage by Piyke: 9:43pm On May 04, 2012
Wallie: See what happens from overinflation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_3_PMhBa_-c

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TsKGYtAo3cw

Nice stuff. thanks
Re: The Need To Have A Tyre Pressure Guage by noholdsbarred(m): 10:15pm On May 04, 2012
Nice one! Thanks, very useful information. I'm getting one as soon as possible.
Re: The Need To Have A Tyre Pressure Guage by cecegorz(m): 10:35pm On May 04, 2012
Piyke:

I think that what tires bear on their sidewalls is the maximum pressure you should not exceed when inflating the tire and not necessarily the recommended pressure for driving. The recommended tire pressure for your vehicle will be written in your car's manual and the sticker by the door frame. Eg for a 2003 accord LX its 30psi front and 29 psi back.
You are actually right.
I just pulled out the Owner's manual and discovered its 32Psi on max load and 29 for light ride.
It's good to check out these things. Once I get the digital guage, I'll be regulating the stuff my self.
Re: The Need To Have A Tyre Pressure Guage by VolvoS60(m): 11:13pm On May 04, 2012
Had tyre pressure gauges for almost a decade now. After seeing a blow-out on the highway some years ago, i became even more determined to look out for myself (with regard to my safety and wellbeing on the roads), because nobody else will.
Re: The Need To Have A Tyre Pressure Guage by Sirmuell(m): 7:28am On May 05, 2012
This is really nice and enlightening I appreciate you @OP and every other person who has also contributed in one way or the other thumbs up! @Seun pls we need more topics like this in the front page!
Re: The Need To Have A Tyre Pressure Guage by 3ace(m): 9:41am On May 05, 2012
Martini101: Op. Nice topic. This is still on the Ist page since January! If it were "Share Your Sexiest, Craziest, Funniest Or Unforgettable Experience", the thing go reach 20pages within d twinkle of an eye!! Which way guys?
This particular thread requires no one to respond except you just want to commend the poster. He only passed an info. which he felt will be useful to everybody. The other one expects you to share an experience in the past so you should expect it to hit 20 pages in a few days.
Re: The Need To Have A Tyre Pressure Guage by segbas(m): 9:45am On May 05, 2012
For what to do Daily, Weekly, Monthly and Yearly to make Your Automobiles A Healthy one, visit my blog @ http://autoclinicdoctor..com
Re: The Need To Have A Tyre Pressure Guage by HalyHary(m): 12:35pm On May 05, 2012
Hi Ikenna,

Am really really glad you brought up this topic, i thought i was the only one that was extra conscious about ensuring tyres have the proper psi readings.
Although my wife thinks am DIY crazy :-) but am not bothered cos i cant count the number of times diy has saved me loads & loads of hassles.
I have invested my time & money in acquiring a couple of what i would like to call "life saving gadgets" & one of such gadgets is the Accutire Digital Tire Gauge with features such as:
* Digital pressure reading
* Blacklight display
* Durable rubber grip & handle
* 5-150 PSI reading, so even if you drive a Truck you good to go.
* Etc......
I shipped in a few pieces and i currently have 2 left and would be more than glad to offer them to my fellow Nairalanders that would be interested in buying. Am gonna let it go @ a reasonable price of N3, 500 only per unit.
Re: The Need To Have A Tyre Pressure Guage by NosaHenry(m): 7:20pm On May 05, 2012
This is the most informative news I received today. I will certainly get mine ASAP. Thanks OP
Re: The Need To Have A Tyre Pressure Guage by jpphilips(m): 10:13pm On May 05, 2012
Wallie:

An overinflated tire won't cause your tire to explode! Overinflation of tires will generally lead to more wear and rough handling of your car. It can also reduce the effectiveness of your brakes because you will have less contact patch (the surface of the tire becomes more rounded instead of being squared).

The rough handling occurs due to the sidewalls of the tire becoming unyielding (no deflection). You will feel every single bump on the road.

In reality, you have to adjust your tire pressure based on the load your car is carrying, which is why your car manual should give you a separate tire pressure for “max load.”

Underinflation is what causes tires to explode due to the heat being generated by the tire (too much friction).

oga we know say you sabi book, after all, you dey look women bobi for lecture hall, abeg borrow your son's physics textbook SS1 and read about "hooke's law" then come back and laugh at the bold part of your comment
Re: The Need To Have A Tyre Pressure Guage by Wallie(m): 9:32pm On May 07, 2012
jp philips:

oga we know say you sabi book, after all, you dey look women bobi for lecture hall, abeg borrow your son's physics textbook SS1 and read about "hooke's law" then come back and laugh at the bold part of your comment

I guess you want to hold what I said in absolute terms and out of context. Take a look at post #27 where I clarified what you had in quotes. And while you're at it, take a look at post #31 where I showed what will happen from overinflation. If your car manual recommends 35psi and your tires are inflated to 40 psi, is that overinflation?

My response that you quoted was in reference to the OP’s claim that the tire could have exploded because it was inflated to 60 psi instead of 40psi as claimed by the vulcanizer. I responded saying that the tire couldn’t have exploded from being overinflated (to 60 psi). Anecdotally, the post by @amdman supports my claim because his tire was inflated to 70 psi and he traveled that way from Benin to Lagos.

Einstein, your arguments about elasticity limits is like someone trying to make a point about something that will happen eventually even if it takes a million years. Of course a tire will explode if you keep pumping air in it past its elastic limit but will that occur when you add an extra 20 psi? No. How about an extra 40 psi? Probably not but if you keep adding air, it will explode sooner or later!

Oh, and you are right about me looking at bobi in class. I saw absolutely nothing wrong in playing with bobi while I aced my courses! I was certainly good at it because I made out like a bandit by any measure you choose! My apologies if you didn’t get the girls and the grades.
Re: The Need To Have A Tyre Pressure Guage by atasteve: 4:14pm On May 09, 2012
HalyHary, please how can i get one?

Lets make arrangement my e-mail is atandasteve@yahoo.com
Re: The Need To Have A Tyre Pressure Guage by jpphilips(m): 5:20pm On May 09, 2012
Wallie:

I guess you want to hold what I said in absolute terms and out of context. Take a look at post #27 where I clarified what you had in quotes. And while you're at it, take a look at post #31 where I showed what will happen from overinflation. If your car manual recommends 35psi and your tires are inflated to 40 psi, is that overinflation?

My response that you quoted was in reference to the OP’s claim that the tire could have exploded because it was inflated to 60 psi instead of 40psi as claimed by the vulcanizer. I responded saying that the tire couldn’t have exploded from being overinflated (to 60 psi). Anecdotally, the post by @amdman supports my claim because his tire was inflated to 70 psi and he traveled that way from Benin to Lagos.

Einstein, your arguments about elasticity limits is like someone trying to make a point about something that will happen eventually even if it takes a million years. Of course a tire will explode if you keep pumping air in it past its elastic limit but will that occur when you add an extra 20 psi? No. How about an extra 40 psi? Probably not but if you keep adding air, it will explode sooner or later!

Oh, and you are right about me looking at bobi in class. I saw absolutely nothing wrong in playing with bobi while I aced my courses! I was certainly good at it because I made out like a bandit by any measure you choose! My apologies if you didn’t get the girls and the grades.

i like that
Re: The Need To Have A Tyre Pressure Guage by tzars(m): 9:53am On May 11, 2012
I like this thread. Makes me want to go for a portable tire pump. Anyone with an idea where and how much I can get one? My add is job_kuf@yahoo.com
Re: The Need To Have A Tyre Pressure Guage by morofolu(m): 2:11pm On Jul 24, 2012
I have some available for grabs
Ps see www.nairaland.com/1003668/portable-car-tire-pump-pressure
It is the same brand as the one I have been using for close to a year now.
It comes with an inbuilt gauge and adapters for other uses. Plugs into the 12v cigarette lighter socket.
Small enough to be kept in the glove compartment.
As earlier mentioned, best time to gauge is when the tires are cool, mornings especially. Then perhaps periodic checks (say weekly) and after a vulcanizing job or before a major journey.
The benefits of a well gauged tire cannot be overemphasized. Just as an over-inflated tire is dangerous, an under-inflated one too will impart negatively on handling and fuel economy.
Re: The Need To Have A Tyre Pressure Guage by myke20: 3:24am On Jul 25, 2012
Nice thread.pls how will I know the recommended psi for my car tyre.is it written on the body of the car or the tyre sef shocked
Re: The Need To Have A Tyre Pressure Guage by bolarmy(f): 5:10pm On Aug 19, 2012
Buy good quality and get the best prices for your Car/Truck Tyres.Call Sanmi on 08122433227 or Bola on 08065971246.You can also make enquiries/place your order via email;sbtradingng@gmail.com.

(1) (2) (Reply)

How Much Is Comprehensive Car Insurance / N7.5b Local Car Purchase Loans Scheme On The Way / How To Raise A Car Loan?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.