Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,147,936 members, 7,799,169 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 April 2024 at 04:26 PM

The Problem With Nigeria? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / The Problem With Nigeria? (2226 Views)

Buhari Attending UN Assembly With Nigeria’s Slimmest Delegation In Decades. / How to tackle the Problem of Corruption Cankerworm In Nigeria! / Releasing Chibok Girls Information Will Damage Ties With Nigeria –UK (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Problem With Nigeria? by Nobody: 10:22pm On Mar 16, 2006
Many politicians glibly tell us that the 'problem' of Nigeria are the twin devils of "Corruption" and "Bad Leadership" yet with each change of guard, things have gone progressively from bad to worse. Nigeria has been "independent" for 45 years and yet remains an elephant with two heads, one marching resolutely in the direction of 5th century Arabia and the other heading towards the grandeur of capitalist Europe and the New World.

What do you think the "problem" of Nigeria is? Can it be solved? Are we truly a "republic" and a "federal" state?

Is this "contraption" called Nigeria feasible as the future hope of the black race?
Re: The Problem With Nigeria? by demmy(m): 4:53pm On Mar 17, 2006
The problem with us is barely 8 years into democracy and we all expect it to be working like a well oiled motor engine without glitch. This can't be so and for me this is the reason why I'm not pessimistic about Nigeria. As long as we give democracy a chance the society can only change for better.
Re: The Problem With Nigeria? by idiot(m): 4:14am On Mar 18, 2006
the problem is the politicians.

unfortunately, it takes a dictator to solve nigerias problems. . . too bad nigeria has had bad experiences with dictators.

you essentially need to remove every non performing politico from office. . .this would cover about all of them.

you replace them, and repeat every 3 months.

You need to pay police a fair wage. Whenever you hear of police corruption, you investigate. If the finds are true, you jail any caught for ten years. Once released, they can never work for the federal government again. In fact, anyone ever jailed cannot work for the gov again. Any politico ever fired/removed can never work for the fed again.

After about 2 years, you will see drastic change in nigeria.
Re: The Problem With Nigeria? by segun06: 4:59am On Mar 18, 2006
The problem with Nigeria is that  We are not aware or we don't care about the consequences of our actions/inactions plus we are too busy trying to proof we are better than on another that we don't notice that the house in on fire. Every problem with Nigeria/Africa can be traced back to this problem; corruption, massacres, riots, lack of free education, hunger, poverty, the list goes on.
Re: The Problem With Nigeria? by toshmann(m): 7:04pm On Mar 23, 2006
i think segun 06 is closer to the issue. but i'll put it this way; we have refused to tell ourself the truth. we push it under the carpet expecting it to workout somehow.

e.g, some people refuse to accept that uba's action in anambra is despicable,
some people refuse to accept that election '03 was a fiasco
some refuse admit that the country is shambolic

when we refuse to acknowledge thess -problems and act as though they dont exist,how can they be solved.
look at a constitution that should serve a nation for generations, we are handling it with rascality just to please one man. what do u think happens in the future

the socio-political foundations of the country is structured to fail and so every step of the way there is a structural failure.
Re: The Problem With Nigeria? by otokx(m): 2:22pm On Mar 24, 2006
fela anikulapo kuti sang a song of how truth don die, i recommend it to everyone as that is our problem in Nigeria. The only thing we agree on must surely be a lie.
Re: The Problem With Nigeria? by Imani(f): 4:04pm On Mar 25, 2006
I think with Nigeria, we all know the problems and possible solutions but of course words are cheap. We need people to stand up and be counted. If we change our attitude towards a lots of things it will a start. We have a very long way to go but through patience the snail reached the ark. tongue
Re: The Problem With Nigeria? by Nobody: 4:10pm On Mar 14, 2009
Should Nigerias problm be because she's still young in Democracy
I dont think so. Or,
Re: The Problem With Nigeria? by asha80(m): 4:30pm On Mar 14, 2009
@davidylan

The problem with nigeria is that most nigerians see the geographical nigeria as an enterprise to make money from and NOT a country to build and serve because their is no feeling of nationhood amongst the people that make up the country.

The different people that make up the country have yet to come together to really fashion how we are all going to live and exist in the geographical nigeria.
Re: The Problem With Nigeria? by FBS: 5:16pm On Mar 14, 2009
disunity.
Re: The Problem With Nigeria? by Hardballer(m): 5:21pm On Mar 14, 2009
serious ignorance+serious illeteracy+seriously warped mindset+seriously dum ass leaders+serious greed
Re: The Problem With Nigeria? by noetic(m): 7:20pm On Mar 14, 2009
davidylan:

Many politicians glibly tell us that the 'problem' of Nigeria are the twin devils of "Corruption" and "Bad Leadership" yet with each change of guard, things have gone progressively from bad to worse. Nigeria has been "independent" for 45 years and yet remains an elephant with two heads, one marching resolutely in the direction of 5th century Arabia and the other heading towards the grandeur of capitalist Europe and the New World.

What do you think the "problem" of Nigeria is? Can it be solved? Are we truly a "republic" and a "federal" state?

Is this "contraption" called Nigeria feasible as the future hope of the black race?

I still dont know why anyone tinks nigeria has a problem. because the countries i know that have a problem they have always responded with costly revolutions that brings about positive results after personal sacrifices for national good has been made.

while not digressing ur topic or the issue u raised. I tink nigerians are very comfortable with the status quo.

No mass protests, no revolutions, no resistance of rigging, no bastardization of the rogues who stole from the national treasury to accumulate wealth and the continuous celebration and idolizing of those who robbed the masses by the church and traditional institutions are signs that we are very comfortable with whatever "problems" u tink we have.

nigeria is just fine.
Re: The Problem With Nigeria? by oderemo(m): 7:34pm On Mar 14, 2009
said it b4 will say it again, the problem of nigeria is that it is full of nigerians.
Re: The Problem With Nigeria? by eldee(m): 7:43pm On Mar 14, 2009
I don't know what Nigeria's problem is, but I know for sure that one good solution is dedicating our lives to helping the next generation.
We need to educate them, expose them and also instill the right values into their mindset.
It has worked in countries like Japan and South Korea.

This is my own way of getting into Obama's 'one man changes the world' campaign.
Re: The Problem With Nigeria? by AloyEmeka9: 10:37pm On Mar 14, 2009
Tribal friction is the major problem in Nigeria. If we can see us as citizens first before the tribe we come from, our politicians will not be messing with our heads.
Re: The Problem With Nigeria? by Nobody: 11:46pm On Mar 14, 2009
My thinking has changed over the past few yrs since i put up this thread.

Is the black man inherently inferior?
Re: The Problem With Nigeria? by noetic(m): 11:56pm On Mar 14, 2009
davidylan:

My thinking has changed over the past few yrs since i put up this thread.

Is the black man inherently inferior?
cant bliv u said that, . .
Re: The Problem With Nigeria? by Nobody: 12:00am On Mar 15, 2009
Just a thought.
Re: The Problem With Nigeria? by Sauron1: 12:21am On Mar 15, 2009
noetic:

cant bliv u said that, . .

Of course, Black men are inferior. . . . .

Nigerians' attachment to their tribes is one major factor which many European colonial masters ignored in the past.
They lumped up several disparate elements in the name of unity and this caused tonnes of tribal wars.
Tribal loyalty supercedes loyalty to the newly created African nation-states which led to poor leadership and so on and so forth.
Until these tribal issues are addressed, Nigeria will continue to regress.
Re: The Problem With Nigeria? by jamace(m): 2:48am On Mar 15, 2009
Uhmm. Wahala dey! sad
Re: The Problem With Nigeria? by Iranoladun(f): 3:14am On Mar 15, 2009
The problem with Nigeria is corruption. The foundation of corruption was laid gradually in Nigeria over a period of time: we have misplaced our values as a nation, we celebrate corrupt indviduals (as long as they are displaying their illgotten wealth), we've developed immunity against truth & what is right/just, we are self-center, short-sighted and extremely greedy. Most parents this day are not bothered about the sudden wealth of their children. The society will keep on producing corrupt leaders as long as we do not tackle the foundation of corruption afterall the nation gets the leader it deserve.
Re: The Problem With Nigeria? by frag(m): 3:21am On Mar 15, 2009
Nigeria today is the result of all your inputs in the past.
Those of you that has never voted.
Those of you who is indifferent about offering police bribe.
Those of you who cant queue for anything.
Those of you who think nigeria belongs to the politicians alone.
Those of you who would comit crime without remorse.
And mostly,those of you that will never stand up for the truth.
Re: The Problem With Nigeria? by oderemo(m): 9:53am On Mar 15, 2009
Nigerians' attachment to their tribes is one major factor which many European c

this shows your lack of that subject called history.
Re: The Problem With Nigeria? by Nobody: 10:14am On Mar 15, 2009
@davidylan, A black man is not inherently inferior, its because a black man was first cursed by Moses or Noah (not sure) in d Bible.
Read yo bible to get details.
Re: The Problem With Nigeria? by kaygee1234: 3:30pm On Mar 15, 2009
ode remo:

the problem of nigeria is that it is full of nigerians.

Re: The Problem With Nigeria? by Hauwa1: 5:49pm On Mar 15, 2009
TRIBALISM is the root of all nig problem.

(1) (Reply)

Who Poisoned Otunba Gbenga Daniel? / Nigerians In The Diaspora Making The Return Journey Back Home. / God Has Declared Yar’adua Seat Vacant-Olabanjo

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.