Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,357 members, 7,800,720 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 03:12 AM

Scam Alert: Gtbank Account Holders. Please Read - Business (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Scam Alert: Gtbank Account Holders. Please Read (31130 Views)

CBN Says Account Holders Can Access Cash As BVN Deadline Ends Today / Urgent Help; I Forgot My Gtbank Account Number. / Checking Your GTBANK Account Balance Via SMS (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Scam Alert: Gtbank Account Holders. Please Read by agoshofin(m): 11:27am On Jan 24, 2012
What happens to those of us who have tried the update?

I tried it severally but I didn't get thru, I entered the wrong password twice b4 I got it right the 3rd time, when I saw d stuff I suspected too, but since I have not used the card in 2 months, I felt maybe, just maybe,

I infact sent an e-mail to gtbank ystdy, I'm still awating their response. Make this ppl no do me strong thing na, I@m not in Nigeria o,
Re: Scam Alert: Gtbank Account Holders. Please Read by Tokotaya: 11:28am On Jan 24, 2012
THanks bros
Re: Scam Alert: Gtbank Account Holders. Please Read by Koolking(m): 11:29am On Jan 24, 2012
humblebee:

THIS IS WHAT THE REAL WEBSITE LOOKS LIKE.
NOTE:

1.THE WEBSITE ADDRESS IS FTTP AND NOT FTP
HTTP MEANS Hypertext Transfer Protocol WHILE FTP MEANS file transfer protocol

2. THE WEBSITE IS ALSO VERIFIED WHICH YOU CAN CONFIRM FROM THE ADDRESS BAR (VERIFIED BY VERISIGN) A FTP CAN NEVER BE VERIFIED

3. THEN THE THIRD ONE WHICH IS MORE OF AN OVERSIGHT BECAUSE IT'S EASY TO ADD IS THE TIME AND DATE ON THE ORIGINAL WEBSITE.

Quite revealing. Thanks for the info.
Re: Scam Alert: Gtbank Account Holders. Please Read by Slyr0x: 11:48am On Jan 24, 2012
agoshofin:

I tried it severally but I didn't get thru,  I entered the wrong password twice b4 I got it right the 3rd time, when I saw d stuff I suspected too, but since I have not used the card in 2 months, I felt maybe, just maybe,

I infact sent an e-mail to gtbank ystdy, I'm still awating their response. Make this ppl no do me strong thing na,  I@m not in Nigeria o,

U have unwittingly sent your card details to the scammer. . .Go to an ATM and change your pin [size=15pt]ASAP![/size]

UPDATE

This is the scam addy --> ftp://92.255.182.252/gtban/index.php

Trying to see if I can delete the scam files/folders
Re: Scam Alert: Gtbank Account Holders. Please Read by Nobody: 11:52am On Jan 24, 2012
yamakuza:

WRONG.

Both urls belong to GTB and are authentic.

I know ibank is for internet banking. What's the ebank for?
Re: Scam Alert: Gtbank Account Holders. Please Read by mbulela: 11:54am On Jan 24, 2012
why is GTB most prone to scams of this nature?
Re: Scam Alert: Gtbank Account Holders. Please Read by agoshofin(m): 11:59am On Jan 24, 2012
if you are a victim, call d bank and change your details.
Re: Scam Alert: Gtbank Account Holders. Please Read by odeexpress(m): 12:00pm On Jan 24, 2012
I have also received the email severally. I contacted the bank to enable them inform other customers and they also confirm that it is a scam.
Re: Scam Alert: Gtbank Account Holders. Please Read by Lalaska(m): 12:08pm On Jan 24, 2012
agoshofin:

I tried it severally but I didn't get thru, I entered the wrong password twice b4 I got it right the 3rd time, when I saw d stuff I suspected too, but since I have not used the card in 2 months, I felt maybe, just maybe,

I infact sent an e-mail to gtbank ystdy, I'm still awating their response. Make this ppl no do me strong thing na, I@m not in Nigeria o,

Call the bank and tell them your log on information has been compromised. They should disable the earlier and create a new profile for you.
Re: Scam Alert: Gtbank Account Holders. Please Read by hardbody: 12:08pm On Jan 24, 2012
They have been circulating this for a while now. The ultimate solution is never to change your details on-line. i do 99% of all my transactions with GT online, and i have not experienced any problems yet. Further, keep the number of your account officer or a GT bank branch or head office handy, if in doubt, they are just one phone call away and you will never be wrong on that.
Re: Scam Alert: Gtbank Account Holders. Please Read by emmy11(f): 12:12pm On Jan 24, 2012
This guyz r realy nt smiling,
Re: Scam Alert: Gtbank Account Holders. Please Read by Nobody: 12:44pm On Jan 24, 2012
mbulela:

why is GTB most prone to scams of this nature?

if i get your question it is because GTB bank is one of the most Outstanding bank in Nigeria that offer Most Online transactions both home and abroad with highest number of customers who prefer zero balance
Re: Scam Alert: Gtbank Account Holders. Please Read by jonc20: 12:57pm On Jan 24, 2012
Please be reminded also that GTBank has sent several alerts to its customers that GTBank will never ask its customers to update any PIN or password online and that immediately we see this, we should know it is a scam. Also watch out for the "secure connection" on GTBank website while attempting to login.
Re: Scam Alert: Gtbank Account Holders. Please Read by yamakuza: 1:08pm On Jan 24, 2012
sexkillz:

I know ibank is for internet banking. What's the ebank for?

e-banking aka electronic banking.

[s]
Its a mirror. Like having 2 servers. If one goes down or is taken offline for maintainance, the other one does all the work till both are available.

One of them is notorious for logging out users every 5 mins. Hypersecurity?[/s]

They can actually give them any name they want eg alpha and beta, but they must have felt those names were more practical.
Re: Scam Alert: Gtbank Account Holders. Please Read by pek(m): 1:12pm On Jan 24, 2012
The solutiom to this is very simple: first, get an ORIGINAL Internet security. This prevents antiphising. It beats my imagination that people can buy laptops of 150k but cant buy an original internet security of 4k. Secondly, NEVER do any update online or reply to any message that asks for passwords or login details.
Re: Scam Alert: Gtbank Account Holders. Please Read by denzel2009: 1:21pm On Jan 24, 2012
The process of getting your bank cards and pin is flawed. Also, how do they send your online access details to you?
Re: Scam Alert: Gtbank Account Holders. Please Read by PHIPEX(m): 1:22pm On Jan 24, 2012
Am now wiser, thanks to the OP
Re: Scam Alert: Gtbank Account Holders. Please Read by Pukkah: 1:47pm On Jan 24, 2012
Good one.

Some of the scammers also send fake SMS alerts so that they can use that as the basis to collect/buy goods. Before the seller realizes that the SMS alert is fake, they would have disappeared into thin air together the goods.
Re: Scam Alert: Gtbank Account Holders. Please Read by lynkyinka(m): 2:03pm On Jan 24, 2012
Heres one of those good poests we find on nairaland occasionally
Re: Scam Alert: Gtbank Account Holders. Please Read by mbulela: 2:12pm On Jan 24, 2012
bandiejay:

if i get your question it is because GTB bank is one of the most Outstanding bank in Nigeria that offer Most Online transactions both home and abroad with highest number of customers who prefer zero balance
i am not convinced with your response.
GT needs to do some soul searching.
Are you trying to say that the bigger they grow, the bigger the crime will become?
Re: Scam Alert: Gtbank Account Holders. Please Read by Willyblinks(m): 2:58pm On Jan 24, 2012
Some are getting it wrong like GTbank's web has been hacked and compromised because the scamers claim to be using GTBank's domain name thats the work of phising for it redirects readers from the clicked ( which can be a genuine address GT or any other bank and company) to the intended site, when hyperlinked to any site dont rush into checking out its offers check out the genuineness of the site eg https://
Re: Scam Alert: Gtbank Account Holders. Please Read by Wexelion(m): 3:01pm On Jan 24, 2012
Una never see anything,cashless economy never start in full force ooo,watch out for episode 2 because this one na season film.
Re: Scam Alert: Gtbank Account Holders. Please Read by Nobody: 3:17pm On Jan 24, 2012
...pls delete
Re: Scam Alert: Gtbank Account Holders. Please Read by Wexelion(m): 3:41pm On Jan 24, 2012
Moodie:

This is not a problem of cashless economy, it's the modern face of fraud. more businesses are going online. People transfer money, shop, buy music, pay for games online as such cash is becoming electronic and is now being stolen electronically.

The secret is to be EXTREMELY vigilant when transacting online.
Can you explain to me how the cashless economy works?
Re: Scam Alert: Gtbank Account Holders. Please Read by patsucess: 3:50pm On Jan 24, 2012
But the both websites come from same domain.  GTBANK.COM. am i missing something. As gtbank.com been hacked? Something is fishy. Cause i dont know how a hacker should get access to a subdomain sending mails with that and you still call it fraud. Its and inwork stuff by one of those workers at the it center not fraud. But all the same apply caution

I have been on the internet for many years now,phishing email are easy to identify,the domain can never be the same,is just like two finger print which can never be the same,when you click on the link sent to you,please read the url carefully you will notice their are not the same at all,if you click on the link you will see something like gtban not gtbank though every other things can be the same but certainly the domain can never be the same grin
Re: Scam Alert: Gtbank Account Holders. Please Read by arbitrage: 4:08pm On Jan 24, 2012
Yamakuza and Willyblinks have touched some of the points I wanted to make.

First understand that the email you got and the links in it may be showing you anything@gtbank.com or https://www.gtbank.com or any of those authentic address that you know with your bank (be it ebank or ibank sub-domain). That is not what tells you this is a scam or not. Asking you to update or register online is not what makes it scam or original. Remember a scam may not ask you to update your record but visiting such website and loging in as usual means you are still depositing your info into scam basket. So not until they say update it.

Simple, when that scam email "seems" to come from anybody@gtbank.com with webpage links of original https://www.gtbank.com (because nobody can have that subdomain outside gtbank itself), you can only know when you:

1. click reply to that email, the true fake scam email sender will appear in your email compose reply to line. The initial anybody@gtbank.com was just phishing to you in your inbox but you will see the real sender after clicking to reply line.

2. If you click the website link that was inside the email you received, your browser will open the fake scam website. It is at this stage you can see the scammers real web address, which MUST be different from the original authentic https://www.gtbank.com they potrayed to you in heir scam email. For example the ftp://www. that was faked to this initial forum poster.

I have seen on youtube how they can edit easily a paypal webpage and you edit and put in different money value and save it and post it to people to make them believe they have money in paypal and can help you do same if you pay certain amount. It is not the real paypal online page but edited. Yet showing you https://www.paypal.com

Paypal is more popular and secure than GT bank and yet people fake others to decive them. So this has nothing to do with GTbank only. It only shows some are new to the only world as per evil that men do and so they think it is to resist change to online advances. Be watchful, be careful
Re: Scam Alert: Gtbank Account Holders. Please Read by Nobody: 4:24pm On Jan 24, 2012
it is  programmatically possible to modify the envelop address to reflect any legit email address even when the email is not originating from the specified domain.

hence, the ability to spoof GeNS@gtbank.com

if you go ahead to mark it as spam, you are on your own as valid emails from GTBank will go to your junkmail

Best is not to share your personal detail on any website you arrive at from an email link.

A terrible thing coming up is the use of IP addresses to confuse users.

A hacker gains access to a bank's website
inserts snippets that modifies the online banking link periodically
Re: Scam Alert: Gtbank Account Holders. Please Read by Nobody: 4:26pm On Jan 24, 2012
Anything that involves "update your records" just forget it. No bank would ask you to update and give sensitive banking details online,

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

The Danger That Come With Naira Devaluation / Which Bank Offers The Best Saving Option In Nigeria? / 5 Ways To Identify Fake Currency Notes

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.