Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,927 members, 7,803,008 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 07:19 AM

The Best Web-Based Businesses To Start In Nigeria? - Webmasters (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / The Best Web-Based Businesses To Start In Nigeria? (14900 Views)

How To Get Facebook Page And Twitter Verification For Nigerian Businesses. / What Are The Best Web-Based Businesses To Start In Nigeria Or In Africa? / Best Web Hosting Company In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Best Web-Based Businesses To Start In Nigeria? by akay48(m): 11:38am On Nov 28, 2013
I don't think because the owner of craigslist.com.ng has decided to name his domain after a popular domain makes him or the site "wayo". He's just trying to make his site enjoy the glory of an already established site. Although, he might later come to face still legal issues especially if Craiglist.org owners have a Trademark to their name. Although, I don't totally support the idea of naming your owner domain after an already established domain, he could have achieved the same effect or even stronger effect if He had chosen an indigenous name for his domain, that'd have a closer relationship to its target audience than some foreign 'Craig' name. Alibaba.com, for example is enjoying more success rate in Nigeria, because we have a popular celeb named Alibaba. Whereas, infact, it is not in anyway related to him. If he has a robust operational model, understands the Nigerian factor, Craigslist.com.ng might come to become a popular doamin in the Nigerian e-commerce industry
Re: The Best Web-Based Businesses To Start In Nigeria? by akay48(m): 11:58am On Nov 28, 2013
Now back to the real discussion. I can't say there's one particular online business that's the best. The reason why there are so many failed e-businesses in Nigeria is Fundamental. It's with our mindset. An average Nigerian is always about making the money/profit within a short period of startup like its money ritual. No. Online business owners should not always focs on the profit aspect as startups. I strongly support the idea of going Freemium before Premium. Facebook, Google, Nairaland are typical examples. They started getting paid when they had enough subscribers. When people got addicted and it became difficult to dump. They became our daily routine so it was easy for them to start charging. if we decide to solve a problem for free as starters, charging people afterwards will be easy as enough Trust would have bn gained overtime.

1 Like

Re: The Best Web-Based Businesses To Start In Nigeria? by tiwa32: 7:41am On Dec 05, 2013
kanor: Jobberman may receive $1m start up funding(if its true), but what is its turnover and profit? Jobberman shd make money by charging advertisers who place adverts for job openings on thier site. They also charge applicants who register and recieve/respond to these openings. Good concept. But in nigeria it takes time. I can gurantee for now, they are not making much.

DealDay is just a clone of Groupon in USA. Most of the stuff they discount market are consumer items. Even if they sell some, the margin is not much, when u deduct web advertisments they make. I can gurantee u that they are not making much.

wakanow shd be making returns if they can send their offline buyers to thier site.

The biggest industry making online payments in nigeria now is aviation. Most airlines give discounts for payment/bookings online
A web base biz that can work out things within this sector is guranteed to make lots of money!

plz is oooo nairalanderz, im so confuse of my question plz help me answer it oooo. "who owe the megabyte we use to load pages when browsing ,is it network we use or the owner of the site like nairaland owner and how the site will earn income if it do not place or have advert on the site ? Plz answer me. If it is the site owner how do they collect the money such as sites we download movies and music from . Im suprise how those sites make money. "
Re: The Best Web-Based Businesses To Start In Nigeria? by udswagz: 7:14pm On Jun 29, 2014
kodewrita: I can vouch for wakanow making cash.

I have been stranded without working ATM/Visa cards and made flight bookings by phone on Wakanow. I know of at least two other people who make use of Wakanow too regularly.Its not just a web biz any longer. Besides the paid vacation trips they market most definitely give them steady cash.

@sarutobi. That kind of funding comes from SV.

CCHub Lagos got funded by Pierre Omidyar.
Iroko TV got funded by a swedish VC recently ( to the tune of $2m).
Same thing, Encipher (Produced Nigeria's first android tablet).
PagaTech too got funding from Pierre Omidyar too.

People are doing good stuff and getting funded. Thats what we all aspire to. Lets not be blinded by the Nigerian situation.

If your product's tight and capable of repaying the funds, foreign investors will ignore the environment and fund you. let's all work hard and someday it might be your turn.

Like seriously, if one has a great idea, how does one get the SV funding ? please i woulld like to know
Re: The Best Web-Based Businesses To Start In Nigeria? by udswagz: 7:19pm On Jun 29, 2014
A-ZeD:

I think the major problem to online business in Nigeria is a lack courier/post culture. I also think Nigerian developers should embrace the bigger picture i.e when building a product, don't think of the Nigerian market alone except you are building Enterprise apps.

http://startupschool.org is a good resource for every aspiring start up.

I think as a developer, you have to focus on the Nigerian market. Let's face it. what idea
do you want to come up with that has not yet been implemented in the western world ?
I am a mobile / web application developer www.udonline.net
and even though i like the SV hype, i am also realistic but very optimistic at the same time.
Re: The Best Web-Based Businesses To Start In Nigeria? by cbrass(m): 4:26pm On Jun 30, 2014
Why is Nigeria always differrent, The internet and the webdevelopment industry is a gold mine in America but Nigeria is just an issue why
Re: The Best Web-Based Businesses To Start In Nigeria? by Djtm(m): 12:54am On Jul 01, 2014
cbrass: Why is Nigeria always differrent, The internet and the webdevelopment industry is a gold mine in America but Nigeria is just an issue why
You should have asked for the number of people who have computers or electricty to power them and internet connection first.
Re: The Best Web-Based Businesses To Start In Nigeria? by cbrass(m): 3:19am On Jul 01, 2014
Djtm:
You should have asked for the number of people who have computers or electricty to power them and internet connection first.

Hmmm..that's true oo..this power issue cripples everything
Re: The Best Web-Based Businesses To Start In Nigeria? by blueyedgeek(m): 9:37pm On Apr 02, 2015
Bump

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Are You Making Enough Money From Adsense? Try This Instead. / 6 Unwritten Rules Of The Internet / An Open Letter To Bloggers Struggling To Get More Traffic By Jon Morrow

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.