Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,670 members, 7,801,934 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 06:17 AM

Auto Maintenance Issues. How Often Have You: - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Auto Maintenance Issues. How Often Have You: (11324 Views)

Car Tips: Monthly Auto Maintenance Checklist / Weird But Factual Auto Maintenance That Will Blow Your Mind / AUTO MAINTENANCE TIPS (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Auto Maintenance Issues. How Often Have You: by Nobody: 10:11pm On Jan 24, 2012
...[/i]Had more than the regular servicing done, like:

01) Replaced timing belt and associated tensioner and idlers?
02) Replaced brake fluid?
03) Replaced clutch fluid (manuals)?
04) Replaced ATF (automatics)?
05) Replaced pollen filters?
06) Replaced coolant?
07) Had mechanical tappets adjusted (valve clearance)?
08) Had your wheel alignment checked, and adjusted as required?
09) Replaced secondary fuel filter?

I have left out the normal service items:

a) Engine oil.
b) Engine oil filter.
c) Primary fuel filter.
d) Air cleaner element.
e) Spark plugs[i].

..[i].[/i]because the average mechanic would be aware of their existence. The items in the top list however, very rarely get touched by the average mechanic. Some mechanics (and vehicle owners) aren't even aware of their existence!

So guy, how often do you have the items in the top list (01 - 09) replaced / checked? Or when last were these attended to? Do you wait till the engine starts making horrible noises, runs rough, misfires and dies, before action is taken?

Let's share! smiley
Re: Auto Maintenance Issues. How Often Have You: by Nobody: 11:05pm On Jan 24, 2012
No one?
Re: Auto Maintenance Issues. How Often Have You: by ChiChi77: 12:02am On Jan 25, 2012
My questions is some of your number 1-9 are maintained through the car's warantee in the USA, especially transmissions. So if a car has a current warrantee in the USA and is purchased and shipped back to Nigeria, do the car dealerships for that brand in Nigeria continue the warrantee or is it out of pocket payment for those in Nigeria?
Re: Auto Maintenance Issues. How Often Have You: by Nobody: 12:11am On Jan 25, 2012
Chi, I doubt any sort of warranty purchased in North America would be honoured in Nigeria. But then it's possible a large dealership with branches worldwide may apply the same warranty terms in Nigeria, as long as certain conditions are adhered to. They may well re-write the terms of the warranty.
Re: Auto Maintenance Issues. How Often Have You: by ChiChi77: 12:27am On Jan 25, 2012
That will be great if they accept North American warrantee on cars still under them purchased from those areas that were then shipped to Nigeria - it will save cost on repairs and people will not feel too reluctant to take their cars in for servicing especially some of those in numbers 1-9 that you listed – speaking from personal experience.
Re: Auto Maintenance Issues. How Often Have You: by Nobody: 7:41pm On Jan 25, 2012
@ Siena am one of the guilty ones am only aware of how to top check and top up nos 2 and 3.
Please educate us me. How soon should these be changed.
Re: Auto Maintenance Issues. How Often Have You: by princedant: 12:43am On Jan 26, 2012
Siena:

...[/i]Had more than the regular servicing done, like:

06) Replaced coolant?

a) Engine oil.
b) Engine oil filter.
c) Primary fuel filter.
d) Air cleaner element.
e) Spark plugs[i].

..[i].[/i]because the average mechanic would be aware of their existence. The items in the top list however, very rarely get touched by the average mechanic. Some mechanics (and vehicle owners) aren't even aware of their existence!

So guy, how often do you have the items in the top list (01 - 09) replaced / checked? Or when last were these attended to? Do you wait till the engine starts making horrible noises, runs rough, misfires and dies, before action is taken?

Let's share!  smiley

@Sienna thanks for this post, Can i ask if any of these overlooked features 1, 5,7,9 , c and d will largely contribute to my Honda CRV 98 model consuming fuel? , i bought it in october last year and on arrival in enugu it had like 38,000km now it has close to 43,000km and i wonder why cos it barely travels out of town, i have changed the following; engine oil, ATF, oil filter, coolant and plugs, bros, is there something else u suggest i do? ur response will be fully appreciated. txs.
Re: Auto Maintenance Issues. How Often Have You: by Piedpiper(m): 11:01pm On Jan 26, 2012
Hmm, seems I get a pass mark hear as I do all but the pollen filters . grin
Evidence the items on my Sequioa preorder thread !
Re: Auto Maintenance Issues. How Often Have You: by Nobody: 12:13am On Jan 27, 2012
gist4real:

@ Siena am one of the guilty ones am only aware of how to top check and top up nos 2 and 3.
Please educate us me. How soon should these be changed.

Brake fluid does NOT need topping up. The level will drop for two reasons only - you've got a leak, or the pads are worn pretty low. As the pads / shoes get thinner, the caliper and brake cylinder pistons extend more. Then the bores will take more brake fluid. If you top up, when new pads are fitted and the pistons are retracted to allow the new pads to fit, the fluid will overflow from the fluid reservoir.

Brake fluid is hygroscopic (meaning it absorbs moisture) so replacement interval is every 24 months. If it's not replaced and the water content gets too high, the fluid boiling point will be lower, no good. Also, the water will corrode the brake system internals - calipers, brake cylinders, brake master cylinders and ABS units will corrode from the inside out.

The same applies to clutch fluid (some models share the same reservoir as the brake). Replacing brake and clutch fluid requires flushing the old fluid through, and bleeding the systems thoroughly. If you're not mechanically-minded, it should be entrusted to a decent garage.
Re: Auto Maintenance Issues. How Often Have You: by Nobody: 12:25am On Jan 27, 2012
princedant:

@Sienna thanks for this post, Can i ask if any of these overlooked features 1, 5,7,9 , c and d will largely contribute to my Honda CRV 98 model consuming fuel? , i bought it in october last year and on arrival in enugu it had like 38,000km now it has close to 43,000km and i wonder why cos it barely travels out of town, i have changed the following; engine oil, ATF, oil filter, coolant and plugs, bros, is there something else u suggest i do? ur response will be fully appreciated. txs.

7, 9 and c will increase fuel consumption if neglected.

07) Valve clearance: This is very important. They require checking and adjustment every 105,000 miles. Since average annual mileage is 12,000 miles, you're talking well over 8 years and 6 months worth of driving, so it's not like you'll be having valve clearance checked often. So there's absolutely no reason not to have them attended to. Incorrect valve clearance means the engine can't breathe properly, resulting in poor fuel consumption.

09) and c) are filters, and if they're clogged, fuel consumption will increase.

With regards poor fuel consumption, is it possible you're expecting too much from your vehicle? The only way to see what your consumption's like, is to fill the tank to the brim at least three times. With each fill-up, you need to zero the trip meter (clear the trip to zero) and see how many kilometres / miles register by the time your fuel gauge hits the reserve (or when your fuel warning light comes on). This will give an average consumption.
Re: Auto Maintenance Issues. How Often Have You: by SimonTemp(m): 3:14pm On Jan 27, 2012
@ Siena

Don't know if this is the right thread to post this. Apologies if not.

How can I tell if:
- a car has been changed from RHD to LHD. A car is being advertised for sale in Nigeria, the country of import is UK. I suspect a conversion might have been done. What are the tell tale signs.

- Mileage has been tampered with. The mileage seems a bit low for a car of its age. I expect about 150,000 miles. The car shows 80,000 miles.
Re: Auto Maintenance Issues. How Often Have You: by Nobody: 6:32pm On Jan 27, 2012
^^^ Hi Simon!

What car is it, and what year?
Re: Auto Maintenance Issues. How Often Have You: by SimonTemp(m): 8:00am On Jan 28, 2012
It's a 1997 Mercedes Benz E240.

Will an OBD2 Scanner help in detecting Mileage roll back?
Re: Auto Maintenance Issues. How Often Have You: by SimonTemp(m): 12:44pm On Jan 30, 2012
Bump.
Re: Auto Maintenance Issues. How Often Have You: by Nobody: 10:41am On Jan 31, 2012
SimonTemp:

@ Siena
Don't know if this is the right thread to post this. Apologies if not.
How can I tell if:
- a car has been changed from RHD to LHD. A car is being advertised for sale in Nigeria, the country of import is UK. I suspect a conversion might have been done. What are the tell tale signs.

A UK-imported car is likely to be a converted RHD. Tell-tale signs:

01) Rough brake servo pipework under bonnet.
02) Bulkhead may have signs of been beaten with a hammer / rough welding and drilling. The '97 W210 has a different bulkhead for RHD and LHD.
03) Rattles and creaks from dash area, especially when driven over rough roads.
04) Clutch, brake and gas pedals out of line.
05) Handbrake may appear offset.
06) Door open warning on dash (if fitted) may register left door for right.

These are just some obvious give-aways.

Could you snap a picture of the bulkhead, under the bonnet?

As for mileage, it is very low for a fifteen-year-old car. On average, a UK car of this size will cover 12,000 miles a year.
At 80,000 miles, it's 100,000 miles less than expected. An OBD scan is unlikely to detect mileage discrepancies, as I believe mileage was not stored in the ECU till the year 2000 and beyond.

1 Like

Re: Auto Maintenance Issues. How Often Have You: by SimonTemp(m): 10:54am On Jan 31, 2012
Thanks Bro. Will look out for these things and keep you informed.
Re: Auto Maintenance Issues. How Often Have You: by Nobody: 11:07am On Apr 14, 2012
Re: Auto Maintenance Issues. How Often Have You: by Niyisnoop(m): 12:39pm On Jun 19, 2012
GET THE BEST VEHICLE MAINTENANCE PRACTICE ALL IN ONE CD @ SHAI AUTOS
NIYI UMAR
niyisnoop@yahoo.co.uk

Re: Auto Maintenance Issues. How Often Have You: by jpphilips(m): 5:23pm On Jun 19, 2012
Piedpiper: Hmm, seems I get a pass mark hear as I do all but the pollen filters . grin
Evidence the items on my Sequioa preorder thread !

guy, average road side mechanic will cripple your engine after touching 1 to 9. you will end up in regrets.

2 Likes

Re: Auto Maintenance Issues. How Often Have You: by kaiter: 5:31pm On Jun 19, 2012
Hmm, seems I get a pass mark hear as I do all but the pollen filters .[img]http://www.demama.info/g.gif[/img]
Re: Auto Maintenance Issues. How Often Have You: by Nobody: 5:36pm On Jun 19, 2012
Siena: ...[/i]Had more than the regular servicing done, like:

06) Replaced coolant?

a) Engine oil.
b) Engine oil filter.
c) Primary fuel filter.
d) Air cleaner element.
e) Spark plugs[i].

Let's share! smiley

I dont do those men, I hardly drive a car over a year. I have contract with my dealership to return my cars after 1 year, and add some cash to get new one again, the cycle continues. This works for me.

1 Like

Re: Auto Maintenance Issues. How Often Have You: by cinzo: 5:38pm On Jun 19, 2012
Welcome back Sienna! Nice post.
Re: Auto Maintenance Issues. How Often Have You: by Wallie(m): 6:24pm On Jun 19, 2012
Siena: ...[/i]Had more than the regular servicing done, like:

06) Replaced coolant?

a) Engine oil.
b) Engine oil filter.
c) Primary fuel filter.
d) Air cleaner element.
e) Spark plugs[i].

Let's share! smiley

1. Timing chain – never. Timing belt depends on the brand of vehicle but generally in the 80k miles range for VW.
2. Every two years but should be replaced more often in a harsh environment or if you ended up boiling it.
3. Never
4. Never and might be actually more problematic to the transmission when replaced especially if done for the first time after 100k miles. You could end up dislodging particles chilling jejely in the transmission which will result in your transmission failing after about 5k miles.
5. Every other oil change
6. Never unless the radiator had to be replaced
7. If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. Some cars need adjustment like the valvetronic in BMWs but you will know when the time comes grin
8. When I have uneven tire wear, new tires, or car pulls to the side.
9. If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. But I’m guessing one might need to be more proactive in Nigeria with all the dust and tainted fuel.

1 Like

Re: Auto Maintenance Issues. How Often Have You: by baaliyah(m): 6:28pm On Jun 19, 2012
Welcome back Siena.
In addition to identifying Converted car, The passenger hand support will be on the left side. I mean the roofside hand support. That thing that looks like where you hang your suit. It is not always on the drier's side.
Re: Auto Maintenance Issues. How Often Have You: by BizBooks(m): 6:49pm On Jun 19, 2012
@Cinzo and ba_aliyah,

I hate to tell you this but Siena is not back. This post appears to be from Jan 2012.
According to his profile, he was last seen on NL on Apr 23.
Re: Auto Maintenance Issues. How Often Have You: by igbanbajo(m): 10:06pm On Jun 19, 2012
Bookmarked.
Re: Auto Maintenance Issues. How Often Have You: by shithapuns: 6:47am On Jun 20, 2012
some cars hv timing belt..while some hv timing chain....rav4 01 to 03 4wd chain, 4runner v6 03 to 09 chain, 5runner v8 timing belt etc...timing chain lasts almost forever..no need to change it..but timing belt is recommended you change it every 90k miles
Re: Auto Maintenance Issues. How Often Have You: by zylla(m): 10:28am On Jun 20, 2012
ba_aliyah: Welcome back Siena.
In addition to identifying Converted car, The passenger hand support will be on the left side. I mean the roofside hand support. That thing that looks like where you hang your suit. It is not always on the drier's side.
Also in addition the visor glass on the passenger's side will be at the driver's side when changed cos that model will have the visor mirror at the passenger's side only.

BizBooks: @Cinzo and ba_aliyah,

I hate to tell you this but Siena is not back. This post appears to be from Jan 2012.
According to his profile, he was last seen on NL on Apr 23.
^^^BizBooks, why this statement naw?
Re: Auto Maintenance Issues. How Often Have You: by linearity: 3:38pm On Jun 20, 2012
Chi_Chi77:
My questions is some of your number 1-9 are maintained through the car's warantee in the USA, especially transmissions. So if a car has a current warrantee in the USA and is purchased and shipped back to Nigeria, do the car dealerships for that brand in Nigeria continue the warrantee or is it out of pocket payment for those in Nigeria?

I doubt if cars warranted in the USA can enjoy the same level of warranty when shipped to 9ja....The road condition, climate, manner of use, enforcement of acceptable driving/car maintenance in Nigeria is not the same as obtainable in the USA and the manufacturer takes these into consideration when setting their warranty coverage because these items determines durability of the transmission system and other components of the car.

Fraud also plays a major role because some warranty are condition upon you keeping up with some periodic maintenance procedures...Manufacturer are weary when it is easy to doctor up maintenance reports.

However, you should be able to get some warranty in Nigeria but its coverage might not be to the extend of what is obtainable abroad or to that duration....to obtain at per warranty...you have to shell more cash....the additional cash will underwrite the above mentioned risks that the manufacturer/dealershipp world have to contend with.
Re: Auto Maintenance Issues. How Often Have You: by anneki(m): 9:49am On Aug 22, 2012

(1) (2) (Reply)

How To Confirm The Genuineness Of Your Tinted Glass Permit And How To Get One / How Good Are Liberty Jeeps? / Nissan Sunny 2007-2010 P2122 And P2127 No Acceleration.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.