Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,593 members, 7,801,697 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 08:34 PM

Auto Maintenance Issues. How Often Have You: - Car Talk (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Auto Maintenance Issues. How Often Have You: (11323 Views)

Car Tips: Monthly Auto Maintenance Checklist / Weird But Factual Auto Maintenance That Will Blow Your Mind / AUTO MAINTENANCE TIPS (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Auto Maintenance Issues. How Often Have You: by dannydevito(m): 2:54pm On Sep 19, 2012
baba sienna would a 99 ford mondeo wagon be a good buy in naija. pls give reasons with respect to maintainace, fuel efficiency and durability. thanks a milli
Re: Auto Maintenance Issues. How Often Have You: by Ngutor(m): 11:29am On Oct 01, 2012
Oga Siena. I have benefited a lot from your sound knowledge of cars, I follow your posts closely. Need your help on somthing. Between a 2003 BMW 325i and a 2003 C-class 230, which is a better choice. The wife favours the BMW, I the Merc. Buying for her but want to make an informed decision. Will appreciate if you can spare sometime to drop a line or two. Thank you
Re: Auto Maintenance Issues. How Often Have You: by Nobody: 12:09pm On Oct 01, 2012
Of the two cars, the E46 BMW 325i is a better car. It handles better than the Mercedes-Benz C230. The Mercedes engine can be quite coarse at higher rpm, and it's also thirstier, despite being smaller that the BMW's.

The Mercedes-Benz suspension is softer than that of the Beemer, so more comfort-oriented. Not the best for bad roads though. The Beemer has a stiffer suspension, more set up to give a sporty ride, and will be better on bad roads, the components will also last longer.

So it all comes down to personal choice. But if I were to choose, my choice wouldn't be the Mercedes-Benz.
Re: Auto Maintenance Issues. How Often Have You: by Ngutor(m): 1:04pm On Oct 01, 2012
1000000000 gbosa for you my bro/oga. I too appreciate
Re: Auto Maintenance Issues. How Often Have You: by Nobody: 5:09pm On Oct 01, 2012
[img][/img]
Siena: ...[/i]Had more than the regular servicing done, like:

01) Replaced timing belt and associated tensioner and idlers?
02) Replaced brake fluid?
03) Replaced clutch fluid (manuals)?
04) Replaced ATF (automatics)?
05) Replaced pollen filters?
06) Replaced coolant?
07) Had mechanical tappets adjusted (valve clearance)?
08) Had your wheel alignment checked, and adjusted as required?
09) Replaced secondary fuel filter?

I have left out the normal service items:

a) Engine oil.
b) Engine oil filter.
c) Primary fuel filter.
d) Air cleaner element.
e) Spark plugs[i].

..[i].[/i]because the average mechanic would be aware of their existence. The items in the top list however, very rarely get touched by the average mechanic. Some mechanics (and vehicle owners) aren't even aware of their existence!

So guy, how often do you have the items in the top list (01 - 09) replaced / checked? Or when last were these attended to? Do you wait till the engine starts making horrible noises, runs rough, misfires and dies, before action is taken?

Let's share! smiley

01) Replaced timing belt and associated tensioner and idlers?

Last one done a few weeks ago, you should see the parts on the table.

02) Replaced brake fluid?

I rent a brake fluid extractor when the manufacturer reccomended interval occurs. Haven't done one in a while but last on was on a S420

03) Replaced clutch fluid (manuals)?

Same as above.

04) Replaced ATF (automatics)?

Just serviced my transmission in my E38 a month ago, replaced the filter at the same time. Scary proposition as the instruction calls for the engine to be running when the refilling occurs. One of my most stupid escapades as I performed this task alone.

05) Replaced pollen filters?

Side by side before and after picture, proof that this really needs to be done.

06) Replaced coolant?

A month ago, replaced my coolant reservior tank so used the opportunity to flush the system ahead of the guideline.

07) Had mechanical tappets adjusted (valve clearance)?

It's been a while since I owned a car with non hydraulic lifters. This was the last one and I checked this at every month or 1,000 miles when I change the oil.

08) Had your wheel alignment checked, and adjusted as required?

Checked the alignment on the MR2 recently, I do it myself since most shops will not go outside of the factory specifications but I like to dial in a little bit more camber.

09) Replaced secondary fuel filter?

None is due yet but the E38 has a filter ready and can be seen on the desk in the first pic.

I do all my own work and they can be seen at [url]QuickSilverCars.VillageHeadMaster.Com[/url]
Re: Auto Maintenance Issues. How Often Have You: by Nobody: 6:43pm On Oct 01, 2012
^^^ Excellent, Somorin. I take it your profession is not Automobile / Mechanical Engineering, yet you're passionate enough to self-educate yourself on how an automobile works. If there were more such people like you in Nigeria, there'll be less rip-offs by "mechanics" that don't know one end of a spanner from the other, and have no business lifting the hood of any car.

None of my cars have ever seen a workshop other than mine. The only exception is the annual inspection.
Re: Auto Maintenance Issues. How Often Have You: by Nobody: 7:19pm On Oct 01, 2012
It's a curse actually - lol

I am a Hospital Information Technologist but cars are my hobby.I appreciate anything that is powered by an internal combustion engine and I like saving old British and German cars from the junkers and keeping them on the road.

We had a chat on this a few weeks ago on here. I am of the opinion that cars can last indefinitely when properly maintained. Even rust, which is usually the death kneel of most older cars can be treated when dectected in time adn can usually be avoided when tiny rust bubbles are attacked vehemently with proper chemical repair.

I plan on retiring back to Nigeria and opening a garage where I can earn a living and also offer education workshops.

This is a good and enlightening thread and I look forward to our Guys on the ground with their reports.

PS: Sorry to go off track, but on my last visit to Nigeria I opened the hood to one of my friends cars and it was a filty mess of dust and the undercarriage was a caked on mud affair.

My number one recommendation is to keep your cars clean.
Re: Auto Maintenance Issues. How Often Have You: by Nobody: 7:21pm On Oct 01, 2012
Siena: Of the two cars, the E46 BMW 325i is a better car. It handles better than the Mercedes-Benz C230. The Mercedes engine can be quite coarse at higher rpm, and it's also thirstier, despite being smaller that the BMW's.

The Mercedes-Benz suspension is softer than that of the Beemer, so more comfort-oriented. Not the best for bad roads though. The Beemer has a stiffer suspension, more set up to give a sporty ride, and will be better on bad roads, the components will also last longer.

So it all comes down to personal choice. But if I were to choose, my choice wouldn't be the Mercedes-Benz.

I agree.

If you want to impress get the Benz, if you want to have a driving experience each and every time you slip behind the wheel then get the BMW.
Re: Auto Maintenance Issues. How Often Have You: by Nobody: 7:48pm On Oct 01, 2012
^^^Unless we're talking older MB's.

I was looking at a 1989 Mercedes-Benz 2,5-16V. Now that's an awesome car! That will rival, though not quite beat the BMW M3 E30, which was more built for the track. The MB's heavier, which may account for its slower times round the Nurburgring.

The Mercedes-Benz 190 2,5-16V Evo II is extremely rare, and with its aggressive body styling has a presence on the road the BMW M3 E30 Evo just can't match.
Re: Auto Maintenance Issues. How Often Have You: by Nobody: 11:00pm On Oct 01, 2012
I have a shell of a 89 Evo in storage, previous owner removed the drivetrain and wheels. One day I'll either find a donor drivetrain or just shoehorn a Ford 302 in it, sacriledge I know.

I'll tell you what, I've owned maybe 5 X E36 (325i/s) and 3Xx W201 (190E 2.6), the Mercedes can never match the BMW in acceleration, handling and responsiveness.

Now, I've never owned an M series (I installed an M3 engine in a BMW 2002 back in the days but one cannot compare to a factory job) nor an AMG so I cannot compare them so I'll take your word for it.

I would love to drive the ring one day, we envy you European lads with your access to cool compact hotrods cars and cool tracks like the ring.

One question Sienna, have you worked with a Renault R5? Curious to see if it can be used as a regular car or it's too dedicated for that.
Re: Auto Maintenance Issues. How Often Have You: by Nobody: 11:24pm On Oct 01, 2012
A 2002 Beemer with an M3 will be one hell of a sleeper.

I've owned an E30 M3 Cabrio, in Macau Blue.

I've worked on the Renault 5 GT Turbo, though the last time was back in 2003, when I did a restoration on an '86 car. It had been ravaged by rust, dry stored in a barn from '94 - '02. Almost too far gone to restore, but it had a low-mileage engine and drivetrain, having covered a mere 27,000 documented miles. Took me 18 months, sourcing NOS panels from France, and a respray in the factory Pearl White.

It can be used as a track car, indeed there are still a few surviving examples here in the UK, though these seldom make appearances when the weather's poor.
Re: Auto Maintenance Issues. How Often Have You: by Amaizu(m): 11:34pm On Oct 01, 2012
Apologies for sounding ignorant.Pls which one is secondary fuel filter.I use a Nigerian Assembly(PAN)Peugeot406(EW10)and i just changed the fuel filter which is under the vehicle on the passenger side.Would that be the primary or secondary fuel filter.
Re: Auto Maintenance Issues. How Often Have You: by Nobody: 11:50pm On Oct 01, 2012
Amaizu: Apologies for sounding ignorant.Pls which one is secondary fuel filter.I use a Nigerian Assembly(PAN)Peugeot406(EW10)and i just changed the fuel filter which is under the vehicle on the passenger side.Would that be the primary or secondary fuel filter.

The secondary fuel filter is the one that's easily accessible, either in the engine bay, or under the vehicle. The primary fuel filter is usually within the fuel tank itself, either as a screen on the pump pick-up, or siphon tube. Most don't have service intervals, and may be an integral part of the fuel delivery unit itself.

Not all vehicles have a primary fuel filter.
Re: Auto Maintenance Issues. How Often Have You: by Amaizu(m): 12:13am On Oct 02, 2012
Thanks
Re: Auto Maintenance Issues. How Often Have You: by vitality22(m): 11:48am On Oct 03, 2012
Hello Siena, i might not be posting my complaints on the right thread. I scanned my Nissan xterra as it displayed service engine soon. So i got this code
P0705 Transmission Range Sensor Circuit malfunction (PRNDL Input)
What exactly is the problem and how serious is it? What do i need to fix on the truck?
my mechanic said i should change the transmission oil. He also advised i should buy dexron ii
Please i need your candid advice, before i start spending to make sure am doing the right thing.
Thanks a bunch
Re: Auto Maintenance Issues. How Often Have You: by Nobody: 3:50pm On Oct 03, 2012
vitality22: Hello Siena, i might not be posting my complaints on the right thread. I scanned my Nissan xterra as it displayed service engine soon. So i got this code
P0705 Transmission Range Sensor Circuit malfunction (PRNDL Input)
What exactly is the problem and how serious is it? What do i need to fix on the truck?
my mechanic said i should change the transmission oil. He also advised i should buy dexron ii
Please i need your candid advice, before i start spending to make sure am doing the right thing.
Thanks a bunch

You might have a multi-function switch, on the side of the transmission. The shift cable is linked to this, and it has an electrical connector. I would be looking at the cable adjustment, and the connector. The purpose of this switch is to sync the gear selected by the lever, and what the transmission itself actually sees. If there's a variation of any sort, it will throw up a code.

Check the connector. I haven't been under the Xterra, but if this switch is where I think it is, it's right in the path of oil and coolant leaks. I would remove the connector, give it a thorough clean, as well as the contacts it plugs to. Then test. If this fails, renew the sensor.

Look on the lower passenger's side of the transmission, just behind the starter motor.
Re: Auto Maintenance Issues. How Often Have You: by dregun: 6:14pm On Oct 04, 2012
Hi all, pls I need help wit my 2005 acura tsx(16V DOHC, I4) transmission. I changed d gear box in july,and just dis morning on my way 2 work I noticed d " D " light on d dash keeps blinking,later on my gear wldn't select, I turned off d ignition and put it bck on, and everythn'seemed normal...Pls wot cld b responsible 4 dis event?, my mechanic said I'd need 2 replace d ATF,even though I jst did dat 3months ago..pls advice auto gurus, I dnt wnt 2 loose my tranny..
Re: Auto Maintenance Issues. How Often Have You: by Nobody: 5:29am On Oct 08, 2012
So it seems that our Guys on the ground are not into self service of their vehicles.
Re: Auto Maintenance Issues. How Often Have You: by anneki(m): 7:32am On Oct 10, 2012
@dregun. Give this guy a call. His name is hope ( 0803 305 5366 ). he will sort you out. I have been using him since 2001.
Re: Auto Maintenance Issues. How Often Have You: by Osama10(m): 4:54pm On Oct 10, 2012
Only if Siena could have a garage in Naija, I don't mind driving to whatever state he is to get my car fixed.

1 Like

Re: Auto Maintenance Issues. How Often Have You: by dregun: 5:54pm On Oct 10, 2012
anneki: @dregun. Give this guy a call. His name is hope ( 0803 305 5366 ). he will sort you out. I have been using him since 2001.

tnx man
Re: Auto Maintenance Issues. How Often Have You: by agabaI23(m): 10:29pm On Jan 07, 2013
Hello Sienna

Not sure this is the right place but I couldn't send you a message.

Can You make out anything from this my rambling? I will seriously appreciate your in put

Honda baby boy
The story

Before I changed the engine, I discovered that the car shaked violently when the ac was turned on and gets worse when the reverse gear is engaged. That I think started when I changed the AC compressor.

This continued with the new engine. Each time this happens, I noticed that the RPM goes close to 0. Mechanics have tried to raise the RPM but the sound continued.
One morning, I noticed that the sound and vibration was on even when the Ac was not on. NB, this sound disppears on top speed

One mechanic removed the rear sensor on the throttle body (what the mechanics called the injector mouth) and the vibration stopped for while stationary but the rpm was always high and driving was unplesant. I was advised to change the throttle body which i did. Vibration stopped momentarily and started all over again. I changed the throttle body again apparently because they had broken the knob that is used to rregulate the RPM.

Still no soilution.

I also changed the inner shaft cup that fits into the gearbox at one point.
Anyone has an idea what is going on? Any suggestions please?
Re: Auto Maintenance Issues. How Often Have You: by 9icetoo(m): 4:34pm On Jan 18, 2013
Siena:

7, 9 and c will increase fuel consumption if neglected.

07) Valve clearance: This is very important. They require checking and adjustment every 105,000 miles. Since average annual mileage is 12,000 miles, you're talking well over 8 years and 6 months worth of driving, so it's not like you'll be having valve clearance checked often. So there's absolutely no reason not to have them attended to. Incorrect valve clearance means the engine can't breathe properly, resulting in poor fuel consumption.

09) and c) are filters, and if they're clogged, fuel consumption will increase.

With regards poor fuel consumption, is it possible you're expecting too much from your vehicle? The only way to see what your consumption's like, is to fill the tank to the brim at least three times. With each fill-up, you need to zero the trip meter (clear the trip to zero) and see how many kilometres / miles register by the time your fuel gauge hits the reserve (or when your fuel warning light comes on). This will give an average consumption.
i recently noticed a rattling sound in my engine whenever i start the car. the noise fades away though. my mechanic said its as a result of valve clearance. he says i should ignore it. the car is a 2002 2.4 litre camry. 2AZ series engine. is my mechanic right?
Re: Auto Maintenance Issues. How Often Have You: by collinsn007(m): 5:03am On Jan 19, 2013
my frnd siena d only engineer in d world hw u dey? Pls i hv a frnd who wants 2 buy a nissan murano v6 pls help him on d tins he needs 2 knw if u look at 2day's cartalk thread u will see his thread cheers man u r d best

1 Like

Re: Auto Maintenance Issues. How Often Have You: by ONWARDBABA: 8:34pm On Jan 26, 2013
@seina sir what is the best gear oil and atf for in infiniti QX4 2002MODEL THANX ALOT

1 Like

Re: Auto Maintenance Issues. How Often Have You: by Nobody: 4:07pm On Oct 11, 2014
dregun:
Hi all, pls I need help wit my 2005 acura tsx(16V DOHC, I4) transmission. I changed d gear box in july,and just dis morning on my way 2 work I noticed d " D " light on d dash keeps blinking,later on my gear wldn't select, I turned off d ignition and put it bck on, and everythn'seemed normal...Pls wot cld b responsible 4 dis event?, my mechanic said I'd need 2 replace d ATF,even though I jst did dat 3months ago..pls advice auto gurus, I dnt wnt 2 loose my tranny..
good day bro,a friend plan to get d 05 acura tsx soon...can u pls highlight some things he needs to know abt d car (performance,availability of spare parts,fuel consumption,d type of engine oil u use).i will really appreciate ur quick response...tnx

(1) (2) (Reply)

How To Confirm The Genuineness Of Your Tinted Glass Permit And How To Get One / How Good Are Liberty Jeeps? / Nissan Sunny 2007-2010 P2122 And P2127 No Acceleration.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.