Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,370 members, 7,781,016 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 07:31 AM

US To Upgrade Nigerian Security Services - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / US To Upgrade Nigerian Security Services (5393 Views)

Biafra: The State Security Services (SSS) Discontinued Nnamdi Kalu's Case / How To Defeat Boko Haram: A Message To Nigerian Security Services / War On Terrorism: India Pledges To Train Nigerian Security - Vanguard (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

US To Upgrade Nigerian Security Services by Beaf: 6:45am On Jan 25, 2012
[size=14pt]US to upgrade Nigerian security services[/size]
On January 25, 2012 · In News

By Victoria Ojeme
ABUJA—The Federal Government and its U.S. government are set to collaborate in training, sharing of intelligence and modernisation of security services and logistics, following threats posed to the nation’s internal security by the Boko Haram Islamic sect.

Rising from a meeting between officials of both countries in Abuja, under the aegis of U.S-Nigeria Bi-National Commission, US Deputy Assistant Secretary for African Affairs, Mr. William Fitzgerald, said the commitment would cover repositioning the Nigeria security services to respond appropriately to security challenges and threats in the country.

He said the technical sub-working group of the meeting will continue to meet in Abuja to explore development of a Nigerian intelligence fusion capability.

Fitzgerald said the talks will be coordinated through the US Embassy in Abuja, in conjunction with the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and other relevant Nigerian agencies.

He said: “Both sides re-affirmed their commitment to enhance the operatio-nal capabilities of Nige-ria’s security services.”

by identifying avenues that would enable them to respond appropriately to internal security challenges and other threats.

“Prominent areas of collaboration may include training, intelligence sharing, modernisation of the security services, logistics and other requirements.

“Nigeria and the United States governments resolved to participate in more sustained working level engagement and cooperation on security matters, through the United States Embassy in Abuja, Ministry of Foreign Affairs and other relevant security agencies.

“Finally, both the Nigerian and US governments agreed to follow-up on these commitments and seek further collaboration to address the challenges that have been identified during the meeting.

“Both countries welcome the involvement of civil society, community-level organisations and other stakeholders in the next meeting of the Regional Security Cooperation Working Group.”

Speaking on the occasion, Permanent Secretary in the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Amb. Martin Uhomoibhi, said: “Government would continue to sensitise Nigerians on the need to take issue of security as responsibility of all, and not that of the security agencies alone.

“This is a national responsibility, a responsibility to be discharged by all Nigerians and indeed all residents in the territorial state of the Federal Republic of Nigeria.”

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2012/01/us-to-upgrade-nigerian-security-services/
Re: US To Upgrade Nigerian Security Services by Mobinga: 6:50am On Jan 25, 2012
Another ingratiating article full of lies.

Re: US To Upgrade Nigerian Security Services by Jeel: 6:53am On Jan 25, 2012
Long expected
Re: US To Upgrade Nigerian Security Services by Rad1cal: 6:58am On Jan 25, 2012
A necessary step in the right direction  cool
Re: US To Upgrade Nigerian Security Services by Beaf: 7:28am On Jan 25, 2012
Some really encouraging moves, but the US must go the long haul and declare boko haram a terrorist group, so that all power can fall on their grizzy arses.
Re: US To Upgrade Nigerian Security Services by Acidosis(m): 7:38am On Jan 25, 2012
Jack Bauer is all I ask for
Re: US To Upgrade Nigerian Security Services by Bliss4Lyfe(f): 7:58am On Jan 25, 2012
When boko haram finally kills American citizens like Al Qaeda in 2001 they will not play watch Nigeria President roast  and desperate with anti-western terror organisation.

I can understand the present situation is ideal for controlling our President and getting him to do as u command but remember the Northern Nigeria bomber on American Flight becos the North is fast becoming a breeding ground for such islamic fighters since u refuse to label them terrorist.
Re: US To Upgrade Nigerian Security Services by Nobody: 8:27am On Jan 25, 2012
The NPF about to be dragged, kicking & screaming, into the 21st century grin
Re: US To Upgrade Nigerian Security Services by Nobody: 8:34am On Jan 25, 2012
They should tell police to stop killing innocent civilians because of #20.
Re: US To Upgrade Nigerian Security Services by Demdem(m): 8:39am On Jan 25, 2012
From the same American govt that has spelt doom for the Nigerian state by 2015. Who is deceiving who?
Re: US To Upgrade Nigerian Security Services by dustydee: 9:19am On Jan 25, 2012
Beaf:

Some really encouraging moves, but the US must go the long haul and declare boko haram a terrorist group, so that all power can fall on their grizzy arses.
I don't see how that will help wipe out BH. They should just assist our security forces with weapons and tactics training
Re: US To Upgrade Nigerian Security Services by WinkWrld: 9:40am On Jan 25, 2012
KINDLY FIND LINK BELOW
A MUST SEE.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Y4Qq-0ddFE

TXT 525 TO 33680 ANY NETWORK
Re: US To Upgrade Nigerian Security Services by DisGuy: 9:43am On Jan 25, 2012
heard it all before

what happened to the mossad, fbi, agents invited before

yawn! abegi
Re: US To Upgrade Nigerian Security Services by philip0906(m): 9:47am On Jan 25, 2012
Rubbish. . .go tell ur paymaster 2 fight corruption and provide d basics of life-food,light,water,education 4 all,roads,jobs,unemployent benefits and c if boko haram will not be reduced 2 its barest minimum and 2 a manageable size.Besides like dis guy noted,they have been inviting us security services since last year and yet,attacks have intensified.
Re: US To Upgrade Nigerian Security Services by Baawaa(m): 9:55am On Jan 25, 2012
Little by little America will hijack this country called Nigeria!!
Re: US To Upgrade Nigerian Security Services by mroluway: 10:04am On Jan 25, 2012
i recommend Jack Bauer
Re: US To Upgrade Nigerian Security Services by igbo2011(m): 10:09am On Jan 25, 2012
THis is BAD news for NIgeria. Now they will cause more problems to break up Nigeria. smh America doesn't care about BLACK PEOPLE they hate us even in the country. THat is why they portray black people so badly all the time.THey portray Africa badly very bad too.
Re: US To Upgrade Nigerian Security Services by philip0906(m): 10:14am On Jan 25, 2012
igbo2011:

THis is BAD news for NIgeria. Now they will cause more problems to break up Nigeria. smh America doesn't care about BLACK PEOPLE they hate us even in the country. THat is why they portray black people so badly all the time.THey portray Africa badly very bad too.
SMH
Re: US To Upgrade Nigerian Security Services by Arosa(m): 10:21am On Jan 25, 2012
Nice one, I am optimistic about this. Its all about upgrade. cool
Re: US To Upgrade Nigerian Security Services by thoth: 10:31am On Jan 25, 2012
Mark my words the more the US come in the more the bombings intensify, more innocent people will be killed by the security forces till it turns to an islam vs USA scenario. More foreign forces would be requested to control it and more billions needed for national development would be used on security deals with the West. We will just end up like Congo on an endless and meaningless warfare , our own situation would be more bloody because of our high population and extreme ignorance.
Re: US To Upgrade Nigerian Security Services by kizito96(m): 10:35am On Jan 25, 2012
Most of us Nigerians are doing well in Security and intelligence management abroad. we need an enabling environment to come home and help
Re: US To Upgrade Nigerian Security Services by Ojobojo1(m): 11:04am On Jan 25, 2012
Just part of their plan to suck our oil dry,theyll train government forces and supply arms but theyll also train bokoharam and supply them arms too,these us guys r demons
Re: US To Upgrade Nigerian Security Services by gokuu(m): 11:19am On Jan 25, 2012
Nigeria has lost her sovereignty and may soon be officially annexed by the US. Thanks to bad govt and BH!
Re: US To Upgrade Nigerian Security Services by strangest(m): 11:30am On Jan 25, 2012
Intelligence sharing, I believe its a good step in the right direction
Re: US To Upgrade Nigerian Security Services by playboy19(m): 12:02pm On Jan 25, 2012
Ojobojo1:

Just part of their plan to suck our oil dry,theyll train government forces and supply arms but theyll also train bokoharam and supply them arms too,these us guys r demons

Spot on bro, spot on!  The same way the US trained the CIA/FBI and Osama bin laden. Years later waged war against each other under the 2 bushes' administration (father and son) while awarding all the ammunition supply to their family company Carlyle Group
Re: US To Upgrade Nigerian Security Services by Nobody: 12:07pm On Jan 25, 2012
playboy19:

Spot on bro, spot on!  The same way the US trained the CIA/FBI and Osama bin laden. Years later waged war against each other under the 2 bushes' administration (father and son) while awarding all the ammunition supply to their family company Carlyle Group

hmmm some cats are starting to reveal the truth
Re: US To Upgrade Nigerian Security Services by akinnux(m): 12:31pm On Jan 25, 2012
I think we should just hand over the entire security system to the US for a period of 1 or 2 years because all the security personnel in Nigeria are thoroughly compromised. What improvement have we noticed in Nigerian Police with the successive change of the IGP. We should stop deceiving ourselves everyman (security) man is for himself in Nigeria.
Re: US To Upgrade Nigerian Security Services by ak47mann(m): 12:50pm On Jan 25, 2012
Nice one cool cool
Re: US To Upgrade Nigerian Security Services by Kobojunkie: 1:07pm On Jan 25, 2012
um . . .  This training happens most every year In Nigeria. I remember in 2007, even the British security forces offered to also train our men. So, pop out the champagne yet again. . . . grin grin grin grin
Re: US To Upgrade Nigerian Security Services by dasparrow: 1:12pm On Jan 25, 2012
thoth:

Mark my words the more the US come in the more the bombings intensify, more innocent people will be killed by the security forces till it turns to an islam vs USA scenario. More foreign forces would be requested to control it and more billions needed for national development would be used on security deals with the West. We will just end up like Congo on an endless and meaningless warfare , our own situation would be more bloody because of our high population and extreme ignorance.

No, leave them now. That some Nigerians are cheering this move goes to show you what kind of people Nigerians really are. Let them keep cheering till they become slaves in their own country and Nigeria will never know peace again.

Ojobojo1:

Unfortunately, you have gullible Nigerians who see them as "saints"

WinkWrld:

KINDLY FIND LINK BELOW
A MUST SEE.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Y4Qq-0ddFE

TXT 525 TO 33680 ANY NETWORK

Stop spamming every thread. What is wrong with you? where are the moderators when we need them?

Demdem:

From the same American govt that has spelt doom for the Nigerian state by 2015. Who is deceiving who?

I wonder

Baawaa:

Little by little America will hijack this country called Nigeria!!

And when they do, we are finished because americans are known to leave an even bigger mess than what they met on ground in the country they claim to be 'helping'. I wish Nigerian leaders would listen but I doubt they will because they don't seem to be too bright/intelligent.
Re: US To Upgrade Nigerian Security Services by Nobody: 1:16pm On Jan 25, 2012
dasparrow:

No, leave them now. That some Nigerians are cheering this move goes to show you what kind of people Nigerians really are. Let them keep cheering till they become slaves in their own country and Nigeria will never know peace again.

Unfortunately, you have gullible Nigerians who see them as "saints"

Stop spamming every thread. What is wrong with you? where are the moderators when we need them?

I wonder

And when they do, we are finished because americans are known to leave an even bigger mess than what they met on ground in the country they claim to be 'helping'. I wish Nigerian leaders would listen but I doubt they will because they don't seem to be too bright/intelligent.

Boko Haram is a far greater threat to Nigeria than America. If you don't believe me, look no further than Somalia.
Re: US To Upgrade Nigerian Security Services by StarFlux: 1:21pm On Jan 25, 2012
i wont clap or dance before i see it with my own eyes.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Should Death Penalty Be Prescribed For Corrupt Persons? / The North, South-west, And The Stealing Of Nigeria’s Common Patrimony / Newly Appointed NPA Boss Hadiza Usman Is Dating Gov El-rufai (FALSE INFORMATION)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.