Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,522 members, 7,801,452 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 03:23 PM

Crackdown On Illegal Immigrants In the US - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Crackdown On Illegal Immigrants In the US (5050 Views)

Shiites: Iran Calls Nigeria To Stop Crackdown On Group / Cbn’s Crackdown On Bank Debtors Pays Off / Crackdown On Okada Riders, Over 200 Arrested In Lagos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Crackdown On Illegal Immigrants In the US by Mamajama(m): 2:25pm On Oct 18, 2007
Dude, stop making all this useless noise. What does it takes to change an immigrant status? Just because you are legal before 911. Go and apply for Visa or citizenship after 911 and see how rigorous it is

Nigeria is not as developed as USA and yet we allowed people from neighboring town to flood our streets without deportation. Has anyone of you been to the North? All the beggars on the streets of KANO, KADUNA and JOS where are they from? CHAD, NIGER, SUDAN.

AMERICA is the richest country in the world. We can afford to spend billions of dollars on war in IRAQ and AFGHANISTAN, but we can;t allow law abiding people in seek of good living, who are willing to work and obey the law.

Something is drastically wrong with the legislation
Re: Crackdown On Illegal Immigrants In the US by Kobojunkie: 3:01pm On Oct 18, 2007
Mamajama:

Dude, stop making all this useless noise. What does it takes to change an immigrant status? Just because you are legal before 911. Go and apply for Visa or citizenship after 911 and see how rigorous it is

Nigeria is not as developed as USA and yet we allowed people from neighboring town to flood our streets without deportation. Has anyone of you been to the North? All the beggars on the streets of KANO, KADUNA and JOS where are they from? CHAD, NIGER, SUDAN.

AMERICA is the richest country in the world. We can afford to spend billions of dollars on war in IRAQ and AFGHANISTAN, but we can;t allow law abiding people in seek of good living, who are willing to work and obey the law.

That arguement of yours is so flawed, I do not even know where to start?? If you are illegal, you come in to a country ILLEGALLY, applying for a visa is not something you should even consider cause, regardless of where you go, be it India or South Africa, once you come in ILLEGALLY, you are asked to go back and then apply to come back in LEGALLY.

The Reason why the USA is developed is cause of it's people. Yes, Taxes and money made for the country by whom?? IT's PEOPLE's SWEAT. So If you are trying to say because America is able to manage it's money better than Nigeria should translate into the USA having responsibility for ILLEGALS, then you are mistaken. Cause the money belongs to hard working people all over who actually have that money put aside for running of the country. They already send out billions each year in AIDS to other countries, including Africa and mexico. So for you to DEMAND that they now apply their tax money to taking care of Illegal immigrants is really unbecoming.

If the people choose as they did to spend money on places like Afghanistan, then it is the people's choice
but to demand they spend money on illegals in addition to that which they already spend in providing AIDS to the same people in their own countries
Re: Crackdown On Illegal Immigrants In the US by omoge(f): 3:24pm On Oct 18, 2007
Now the jobs are no longer there, It's bitting hard on the people. Immigrants should start going to China.
Re: Crackdown On Illegal Immigrants In the US by Mamajama(m): 3:42pm On Oct 18, 2007
Kobojunkie let me ask you, did you come in to the state legally? What percentage of Foreign national in USA actually came in legally? or went back after exulting their stay or when their Visas expired?

Face reality, USA is a wonderful contry to be in comparison to any countries or places I've been to. If you are law abiding and willing to work to support yourself and your family, why should you be sent back?

Most of this people have been here in the states for decades and they have families, repatriating or separating this people from their beloved families is an heinous crime. You and I will have to support their families on public aid or assistance once the head of household in deported.

Most of the Latino population can not even speak English, not that its an excuse. But do you know, you can not become a USA citizen if you can not speak and write English?
Re: Crackdown On Illegal Immigrants In the US by Kobojunkie: 4:59pm On Oct 18, 2007
A lot more people come in legally than do come in ILLEGALLY @Mamajamma, We have persons who come in with student visas, green card programs, through marriage, H1 Visas, refugee status, infact Millions come in yearly LEGALLY.

the percentage who come in yearly LEGALLY can not be compared to those who come in ILLEGALLY. The fact that you came in ILLEGALLY shows you are not law abiding in the first place.

Most of this people have been here in the states for decades and they have families, repatriating or separating this people from their beloved families is an heinous crime. You and I will have to support their families on public aid or assistance once the head of household in deported.

You mean more than we are right now with aids and assistance?? The US currently spends over 2 billion a year on free health for the families already, not to count how much we pay in AIDs to them already when we talk of public aid and assistance. If they leave their families behind, you think that Automatically means they qualify for AIDS?? Have you ever been to a public Assistance office to get AIDS before

As for your statement on speaking English,elaborate "can not speak and write English". I don't understand why you mention that. I mean if a person from India or even China ( with the most people in the world) knows to learn English when coming to America, what excuse does a person from mexico have? Even canadians know to brush up on their English before heading to the states.

So according to your claim, even though those families came in here ILLEGALLY, because they have been here for decades and have tried to stay LEGAL even after their ILLEGAL act, they should be left alone? Spending decades in America and then claiming one still can not speak English is not excusable in anyway. America is not built to be a country to babysit the rest of the world Cause it is one of the best. The law is the law, you either uphold the law or you throw it aside and we all have a free for all.

Whether rich or poor, I would think you would apply the same rules you do in poor countries or countries you do not deem important to countries which you believe are rich. Why is it ok to have illegal immigrants in America but not ok to have same in Nigeria? You mentioned the beggars in the north being from Chad.
Re: Crackdown On Illegal Immigrants In the US by TayoD1(m): 5:03pm On Oct 18, 2007
@Mamajama,

but we can;t allow law abiding people in seek of good living, who are willing to work and obey the law.
Your argument is so unbelievably lame that every rationale person can pick a hole in it. Why do you call them law abiding? is there any word in the phrase "ILLEGAL immigrant" that you do not understand? They are termed illegal because they broke the same law you are touting that they keep. Either retract your argument or provide us with one that does not make nonsense of that which you stand for.

But do you know, you can not become a USA citizen if you can not speak and write English?
This statement is simply not true. it is only recently that they are trying to promulgate laws that require the knowledge of the english language before becoming a citizen. This is being considered becuase inability to speak the language does not help integration. That is common sense.
Re: Crackdown On Illegal Immigrants In the US by almondjoy(f): 5:07pm On Oct 18, 2007
"as shallow as the deep sea" arguments!

cheesy grin cheesy grin cheesy grin cheesy grin

@mamajama

Na wah for you oh!  Sometimes I just feel you should participate more in the forum and games section of Nairaland. grin

Are you serious? shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked  Only a Nigerian used to bending and breaking rules will reason the way you are doing right now.  It shows that irrespective of your place of residence, you have not assimilated the concept of "a law abiding citizen".

The greatest irony of it all is that you are studying law! cry May God help us all!
Re: Crackdown On Illegal Immigrants In the US by Nobody: 5:48pm On Oct 18, 2007
Mamajama:

You are again very right. but do you blame the Americans? If you were in there shoes wont you be looking to plug immigration holes that allow terrorists to live and train in American schools how to fly planes into buildings intended to kill Americans.

Here is the problem most illegals have, if you come in legally it is easier to change your status than if you do so illegally. If you come on a visitors visa and then study up to a PHD, it wont matter, when you intend to change ur status you will be asked to go back.

Mamajama:

Is this because we are magnanimous and love our neighbours? It is simply because we have failed borders!

Mamajama:

If this people were "willing to obey the law" they wont be illegal immigrants in the first place.

Mamajama:

What is wrong with it? Is it as bad as immigration laws in Iran, Mexico, Japan and Germany?
Re: Crackdown On Illegal Immigrants In the US by Nobody: 8:24pm On Oct 18, 2007
almondjoy:

"as shallow as the deep sea" arguments!

cheesy grin cheesy grin cheesy grin cheesy grin

@mamajama

Na wah for you oh!  Sometimes I just feel you should participate more in the forum and games section of Nairaland. grin

Are you serious? shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked  Only a Nigerian used to bending and breaking rules will reason the way you are doing right now.  It shows that irrespective of your place of residence, you have not assimilated the concept of "a law abiding citizen".

The greatest irony of it all is that you are studying law! cry May God help us all!

The thing tire me O
saying an illegal alien should be allowed to stay as long as he doesn't break the law is like saying
A rapist should be left alone as long as the act did not result in a pregnancy or cause bruises.

A man who crossed a border into a country uninvited and undocumented is already a criminal.
What other laws are we expecting him to break?
Re: Crackdown On Illegal Immigrants In the US by almondjoy(f): 3:24am On Oct 19, 2007
nwando:

The thing tire me O
saying an illegal alien should be allowed to stay as long as he doesn't break the law is like saying
A rapist should be left alone as long as the act did not result in a pregnancy or cause bruises.

A man who crossed a border into a country uninvited and undocumented is already a criminal.
What other laws are we expecting him to break?

Well, we can give them coupons of illegal alien status to invite the other relatives across the border like I am getting ready to so some of mine. tongue Once again to a typical Nigerian, everything is about "feelings" and not what is right!  You have what the law clearly states and some are trying to read it upside down even on foreign soil.  Gosh--I say no hope for us oh!

Yes!  Some of us may have been guilty of the same thing but never abused the social and ecomonic systems in place.  We paid our way through--medical insurance, school fees and so on and so forth.  Never a dime taken from the system and paid the fines or price for the "transition" peroid because the law stated we could.  Still does not make it right to be illegal under any circumstances in any country.  I call that the "transition" period because we did not know any better.  We all know better now--that we are legal and understand the implications.  You cannot come in here and have 10 children on tax payers money or erase social security benefits for people who have worked hard all their lives.  Not right at all.
Re: Crackdown On Illegal Immigrants In the US by Nobody: 3:33am On Oct 19, 2007
almondjoy:

Once again to a typical Nigerian, everything is about "feelings" and not what is right!

Gbam! Spot on!
Re: Crackdown On Illegal Immigrants In the US by Nobody: 2:18am On Oct 20, 2007
reminds of the thread about the Nigerian nurse who was caught with thousands of dollars while  re entering the USA and some forumites were questioning why the money was seized even though she didn't declare it.
It is sad that the average Nigerian basically lives by no laws and no rules.

This is not a place where you can just say abeg abeg and get a smile from the state trooper when caught driving 80 miles an hour on a a 50mile/hour highway stretch.
I agree some ladies may pout the lips and flash some massive cleavage and blind the officer but not all. grin
Infact one may have other offences added to the original offence if the cleavage is shown to the wrong officer.

Laws are meant to be obeyed.
Many Nigerians and Mexicans don't know that concept.
Re: Crackdown On Illegal Immigrants In the US by Mamajama(m): 10:53am On Oct 20, 2007
Most of you guys remind me of the GOVERNATOR MR ARNOLD. You are comfortable now as a legal resident or a citizen, but you broke the law and transition or transform yourself to become legal.

But you want all the JOURNEY JUST COME to go back because they are illegal, Kai PEOPLE
Re: Crackdown On Illegal Immigrants In the US by Kobojunkie: 4:48pm On Oct 20, 2007
Mamajama:

Most of you guys remind me of the GOVERNATOR MR ARNOLD. You are comfortable now as a legal resident or a citizen, but you broke the law and transition or transform yourself to become legal.

But you want all the JOURNEY JUST COME to go back because they are illegal, Kai PEOPLE

Here is the thing, an example for you @Mamajamma, Even if I became a rogue today and then steal millions and then become stinking rich tommorow, that WILL NOT CHANGE THE FACT THAT STEALING IS A CRIME, and if you ask me, I Will tell you same, STEALING IS WRONG. So regardless of how persons got here, coming into america illegally is still illegal.
Re: Crackdown On Illegal Immigrants In the US by hipernetix: 5:19pm On Oct 20, 2007
I have noticed a majority of the posters here are based in the US. I didn't know there was so much illegal nigerian immigrants in the US for real. Its the same problem we see here constantly in the UK. Nigerians are caught doing fraud, or driving without insurance, and worse still they probably don't have a valid immigration status to be in the Uk in the first place.

How can this be rightly justified? It is wrong, apart from it being a drain on hard working tax payers money in these countries, it is also a shame on every Nigerian. So in reality, we cannot start shouting and blaming these countries for tightening up their borders and immigration rules. Nigerians are always breaking the law here in the UK, defrauding the benefits system, housing scams, identity fraud, and the list go on, and most of these unscrupulous nigerians are illegals. Nigerians that are legally in the UK on work permits, or permanent residency, mostly seem to be doing very well.

If you go into a country illegally in the first place, ofcourse you're going to indulge in other illegal activities because you have come into a society were there is order, laws and penalties. How will you go for treatment to a hospital if you are ill (in the UK you have to provide your passport to register with the National Health Service)? How do you open a bank account (when 90% of transactions in the country are electronic)? Therefore there is no excuse or sympathy for illegal immigration. It exploits people and is akin to slavery!
Re: Crackdown On Illegal Immigrants In the US by Tornadoz(m): 6:29pm On Oct 20, 2007
Mamajama:

Typical Nigerian mentality. Nigerians would be the first to tell Mexicans to go back to their country forgetting they themselves traveled thousands of miles to get to the US. How many Nigerians can boast of being head hunted from Nigeria by big US corporations? Most Nigerians forget or refuse to acknowledge how they got to the US when they are granted leave to remain. Bunch of freaking hypocrites that we are.
Re: Crackdown On Illegal Immigrants In the US by Nobody: 6:41pm On Oct 20, 2007
my friend speak for yourself.
Not all us married for green cards and not all of us copied social security numbers out of a cereal box.
I have been here a decade and was never illegal for one day.
so please don't generalize.

There are some of us who came with students visa or J visas and went through the normal huddles legally.
There are many who came as visitors,obtained student visas and transitioned to H visas after they secured employment.
there are thousands especially nurses who were recruited with H visas in hand from Nigeria and later brought their spouses and children
So please spare us the generalization.

Like someone earlier said,does the fact that some people were illegal for a while make the action legal?
Re: Crackdown On Illegal Immigrants In the US by Tornadoz(m): 7:07pm On Oct 20, 2007
Were you head hunted in Nigeria? Did you arrive with a green card in your back pocket? You talk of nurses, the same Nigerian nurses cuing in front of the American embassy daily will now get to the US and boast how original American she truly is. Leave immigration matters to the natives, that's what am saying. For your information I don't live in the US.
Re: Crackdown On Illegal Immigrants In the US by Nobody: 7:24pm On Oct 20, 2007
Tornadoz:

Were you head hunted in Nigeria? Did you arrive with a green card in your back pocket? You talk of nurses, the same Nigerian nurses cuing in front of the American embassy daily will now get to the US and boast how original American she truly is. Leave immigration matters to the natives, that's what am saying. For your information I don't live in the US.

Your argument is baseless.
No I did not arrive with a green card but there are many who do
I, like most Nigerians in the USA arrived with a valid visa.

I now happen to be an American citizen with the exact same benefits of a "native" whatever that means.
The nurses you are making fun of at least came in legally with a valid H visa
They didn't have to swim 7 oceans and 7 seas to arrive and do boi boi.

what you want is for the USA to open it's gates and let anyone in.
Which country does that?
My own country Nigeria would turn me down for a visa on my American passport without proper documentation including letter of invitation
and they also give me a length of stay which I'm expected to keep to.

Obeying the law is not anti Nigerian,you hear
Re: Crackdown On Illegal Immigrants In the US by Nobody: 7:27pm On Oct 20, 2007
Please forgive Tornadoz, apparently he is unaware that too much peppersoup is toxic to rational thinking grin
Re: Crackdown On Illegal Immigrants In the US by Kobojunkie: 9:21pm On Oct 20, 2007
Tornadoz:

Dude, I am beginning to wonder if all you do is go from thread to thread to post statements solely for the purpose of getting some attention, no matter what kind.
Re: Crackdown On Illegal Immigrants In the US by almondjoy(f): 3:03pm On Oct 21, 2007
hipernetix:

I have noticed a majority of the posters here are based in the US. I didn't know there was so much illegal nigerian immigrants in the US for real. Its the same problem we see here constantly in the UK. Nigerians are caught doing fraud, or driving without insurance, and worse still they probably don't have a valid immigration status to be in the Uk in the first place.

How can this be rightly justified? It is wrong, apart from it being a drain on hard working tax payers money in these countries, it is also a shame on every Nigerian. So in reality, we cannot start shouting and blaming these countries for tightening up their borders and immigration rules. Nigerians are always breaking the law here in the UK, defrauding the benefits system, housing scams, identity fraud, and the list go on, and most of these unscrupulous nigerians are illegals. Nigerians that are legally in the UK on work permits, or permanent residency, mostly seem to be doing very well.

If you go into a country illegally in the first place, ofcourse you're going to indulge in other illegal activities because you have come into a society were there is order, laws and penalties. How will you go for treatment to a hospital if you are ill (in the UK you have to provide your passport to register with the National Health Service)? How do you open a bank account (when 90% of transactions in the country are electronic)? Therefore there is no excuse or sympathy for illegal immigration. It exploits people and is akin to slavery!

True! That is why I say do not wait to be illegal to take care of things. Always have a plan so you do not become like Mexicans---waiting for amnesty. I call it the "transition" period. There are ways to legalize your status without defrauding the government. How can anyone be Illegal for more than 6 months for crying out loud?

Tornadoz:

Typical Nigerian mentality. Nigerians would be the first to tell Mexicans to go back to their country forgetting they themselves traveled thousands of miles to get to the US. How many Nigerians can boast of being head hunted from Nigeria by big US corporations? Most Nigerians forget or refuse to acknowledge how they got to the US when they are granted leave to remain. Bunch of freaking hypocrites that we are.

No we did not forget. When I knew I was going to be illegal after I finished my studies, I did not wait till the end of time to start jumping through windows and back doors to avoid the INS. I took care of the problem legally without bleeding the Social system dry like Mexicans are doing now. Nigerians are not cut out for hand outs. We like to work hard--except the 419ners--- and send money home. Minimum wage jobs are not for us.

So I can say there is a difference between most Nigerian situations and most Mexican situations. Nigerians are not a burden to the the US socio-economic system- except some of those who decide to come and give birth over there and leave billions of unpaid bills for taxpayers. Now these are the Home based Nigerians--so talk to them.--Most Mexicans are with 8 children per househould, no medical insurance and take more out of the system than they put in.

Tornadoz:

Sorry, if you do not understand we have become part of the natives ok? Immigration is "our" matter too because we pay taxes and we have medical insurance!!!!
Re: Crackdown On Illegal Immigrants In the US by bibiking1(m): 3:27pm On Oct 21, 2007
all "illegal" immigrants have a human right that should be respected,
but at the same time they should respect the sovereignty of the country that they have illegally breached their borders

I think they should be deported
i'll never support the rubber stamping of illegality
Re: Crackdown On Illegal Immigrants In the US by almondjoy(f): 3:57pm On Oct 21, 2007
Bottom line!  Do not wait to be illegal---there are ways to help yourselves out!  If you are a true "nigerian"---you are always 2 steps ahead of the game.  Unless you are cursed! cheesy

Consultation fees may apply!---No immigration attorney needed!

See the Mexican government aiding and abetting its illegal citizens in the US? How will they not get away with "illegality"? -------Try it with your "Nigerian Government" and a "trial" will convince you! kiss
Re: Crackdown On Illegal Immigrants In the US by bibiking1(m): 4:05pm On Oct 21, 2007
See the Mexican government aiding and abetting its illegal citizens in the US? How will they not get away with "illegality"? -------Try it with your "Nigerian Government" and a "trial" will convince you!

grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Crackdown On Illegal Immigrants In the US by denex: 9:28am On Oct 22, 2007
Just yesterday, a Ghanaian bus driver was driving his bus recklessly playing loud music and threatening people. One person by the road just suggested the government deported all Ghanaians. I had to tell him that they had some kind of ECOWAS free entry pass.

What I'm trying to say is that if Immigrants behave themselves, do their work and maintain the peace, people will want them to stay. But look at the behaviour of Mexicans, Nigerians and Jamaicans in the USA. They terrorise the citizens.

In fact, most of you would not know that in the original declaration of human rights at the United Nations, it was declared that "Every Human Being Has The Right To Leave The Nation Of The Birth Or Residence And Enter Another Nation Where The Feel They Can Fare Better." that is I believe articles 13 and 14 of the UNIVERSAL DECLARATION OF HUMAN RIGHTS.

but when immigrants started misusing this right, the Oyibo people had to go and re-edit the declaration of human rights. Talk about human rights abuse. But there are reasons.

I believe if all immigrants behave themselves, obey the law and contribute substantially to the economy, no body will even bother to know how they got into the country, let alone crackdown on them.
Re: Crackdown On Illegal Immigrants In the US by almondjoy(f): 9:38am On Oct 22, 2007
denex:

Just yesterday, a Ghanaian bus driver was driving his bus recklessly playing loud music and threatening people. One person by the road just suggested the government deported all Ghanaians. I had to tell him that they had some kind of ECOWAS free entry pass.

What I'm trying to say is that if Immigrants behave themselves, do their work and maintain the peace, people will want them to stay. But look at the behaviour of Mexicans, Nigerians and Jamaicans in the USA. They terrorise the citizens.

In fact, most of you would not know that in the original declaration of human rights at the United Nations, it was declared that "Every Human Being Has The Right To Leave The Nation Of The Birth Or Residence And Enter Another Nation Where The Feel They Can Fare Better." that is I believe articles 13 and 14 of the UNIVERSAL DECLARATION OF HUMAN RIGHTS.

but when immigrants started misusing this right, the Oyibo people had to go and re-edit the declaration of human rights. Talk about human rights abuse. But there are reasons.

I believe if all immigrants behave themselves,--- obey the law and contribute substantially to the economy, no body will even bother to know how they got into the country, let alone crackdown on them.

Errrrrrrrrrrrrrr? Goodmorning denex! What do you have to say about the illegality of the immigrants? Are you condoning it? You cannot obey the law when you start off on an illegal premise.

Is it not in our very own country that we chant "obey before complain"?
Re: Crackdown On Illegal Immigrants In the US by fakedavid: 12:12pm On Oct 22, 2007
All these ghetto boys - having been lucky to get a visa to the states - they come up on Nairaland to talk rubbish - ghetto boys.
Re: Crackdown On Illegal Immigrants In the US by almondjoy(f): 12:28pm On Oct 22, 2007
We have heard! Ghetto ghost!
Re: Crackdown On Illegal Immigrants In the US by denex: 1:48pm On Oct 22, 2007
@almondjoy

I am not condoning illegal immigration in fact I do not even condone legal immigration. I have said it several times on Nairaland make everybody "Stay One Place!"

What I'm trying to do is explain why I think there is a general crackdown on illegal immigrants across several nations.Most immigrants no dey try.
Re: Crackdown On Illegal Immigrants In the US by almondjoy(f): 2:46pm On Oct 22, 2007
"Make everybody stay one place"? undecided To do what? Join politics or become "business man or woman"? Did you not quote some freedom of movement act a while back? shocked
Re: Crackdown On Illegal Immigrants In the US by denex: 2:56pm On Oct 22, 2007
That's my personal advice O! Stay one place!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Governor Aliyu Imposes 6am To 6pm Curfew In Niger State / NSCIA Calls On All Nigerian Muslims To Pray To Uproot Boko Haram / Nigeria Airspace Certified, Rated As One Of 14 Best In Africa- ICAO

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 105
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.