Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,972 members, 7,806,817 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 02:06 AM

Mechanic Sentenced To Death For Stealing Car Stereo - Crime - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / Mechanic Sentenced To Death For Stealing Car Stereo (8739 Views)

Mob Amputates Mechanic For Stealing N10k In Lagos (pic) / 20 Year-old Onitsha House Maid Hacked To Death For Refusing Sex With Boss’s Son / Calabar Boy Caught And Burnt To Death For Stealing (Graphic Photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Mechanic Sentenced To Death For Stealing Car Stereo by ceomike(m): 5:59pm On Jan 26, 2012
A motor mechanic has been sentenced to death by hanging for armed robbery. He was sentenced to death for robbing a University Lecturer of his car stereo at gun point in company of another accomplice, now deceased.

Prosecution led by the State Director of Public Prosecutions, Mr. Marcel Okoh called four witnesses to prove its case.

The mechanic along with another person were accused of robbing one Johnson Unuerho of his car stereo on the 29th of June, 2002 armed with a gun at Okpara Inland within Isiokolo judicial division.

However the 2nd accused persons one Gabriel Iyerowho, a driver was discharged and acquitted.

The victim of the robbery incident, who was PW2 (prosecution witness), a Principal Lecturer attached to the College of Education Warri, narrated how he tip-toed to the window, opened the blind gently and saw the 1st accused person, Patrick Ekeh and another member of the gang now deceased before shouting for help.

Justice Fred of Oleh High Court in Delta, in his judgment stated that “in the final analysis, I uphold defence of alibi of the 2nd accused persons. It ought to have been investigated by the police but was not. And besides, he was not one of those sighted by the PW2 when he took a peep through the window of his house and so no evidence fixing him at the scene and sufficient to dislodge the alibi raised by him.

While sentencing the accused, he said, “this is an offence of armed robbery for which I have no discretion. The penalty is death and I am not in a position not to impose it. To this end, the accused person is sentenced to death by handing in the neck until he is dead”, the judge stated.

Source: Vanguard Nigeria
Re: Mechanic Sentenced To Death For Stealing Car Stereo by kokoA(m): 6:02pm On Jan 26, 2012
Steal a car stereo, get a death sentence, Steal billions, get scotch-free! Wow!

1 Like

Re: Mechanic Sentenced To Death For Stealing Car Stereo by Beaf: 6:05pm On Jan 26, 2012
^
All armed robbers deserve a death sentence, bro.
Re: Mechanic Sentenced To Death For Stealing Car Stereo by kokoA(m): 6:09pm On Jan 26, 2012
Beaf:

^
Agreed! All looters deserve a death sentence to coz they kill even more than armed robbers.

1 Like

Re: Mechanic Sentenced To Death For Stealing Car Stereo by Nobody: 6:10pm On Jan 26, 2012
Beaf:

^

Even GEJ!
Re: Mechanic Sentenced To Death For Stealing Car Stereo by oderemo(m): 6:36pm On Jan 26, 2012
and his porky wife.
Re: Mechanic Sentenced To Death For Stealing Car Stereo by ASOROCKb(m): 6:56pm On Jan 26, 2012
Beaf:

^
Same to looters, if thats how it should be. Lol
Re: Mechanic Sentenced To Death For Stealing Car Stereo by 9jaIhail(m): 7:12pm On Jan 26, 2012
Beaf:

^

Beaf you fall my hand this time.i am not in support of arm robbery but if boko haram who kill in dozen could get only 3years jail term why should this poor guy who steal a common car stereo which you can see that it is pure laziness and poverty that lead him into that is getting death sentence by hanging,well i am sure beaf you will go and thought a bit more over this issue and re post a fair comment over this issue.

if i may ask what about our leaders sorry our rulers because we never have a leader in this country,they steal us in a broad day light without prosecution even obasanjo steal otta farm from us without question from anybody up till date Ibb sani abbacha etc. abeg tell the magistrate to render his justice with mercy. here is not iraq. in fact i don't know why Nigeria law is effective and strict only on the poor masses. rubbish
Re: Mechanic Sentenced To Death For Stealing Car Stereo by efisher(m): 7:15pm On Jan 26, 2012
All armed robbers, looters, boko rams, etc, deserve to be sentenced to death.
Re: Mechanic Sentenced To Death For Stealing Car Stereo by aljharem(m): 7:18pm On Jan 26, 2012
efisher:

All armed robbers, looters, boko rams, etc, deserve to be sentenced to death.
Beaf:

^

which means, Patient GEJ, Madueke, Tinubu, OBJ, Ciroma, Clark edwin, etc all deserve death ?

Btw beaf, you have not explain how GEJ got 50 billion in his account since he started

He came from a humble background and today 50 billion in his account, what job is he doing ?
Re: Mechanic Sentenced To Death For Stealing Car Stereo by Nobody: 7:18pm On Jan 26, 2012
Even babangida, GEj. Obasango, should be sentenced to Death by Boiling  angry
Re: Mechanic Sentenced To Death For Stealing Car Stereo by aljharem(m): 7:20pm On Jan 26, 2012
bandiejay:

Even babangida, GEj. Obasango, should be sentenced to[b] Death by Boiling[/b]  angry
shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked on-top wetin

if it is because of the public funds they stole, then then would return it to you. Boiling ke shocked that is extreme
Re: Mechanic Sentenced To Death For Stealing Car Stereo by efisher(m): 7:33pm On Jan 26, 2012
Let me make myself crystal clear. Whoever is found guilty of corruption beyond any doubt (no matter who he / she is) deserves the death sentence. We need to adopt the Chinese model for dealing with corruption and armed robbery here. But let me reiterate that it has to be proven beyond any doubt that such person is guilty.
Re: Mechanic Sentenced To Death For Stealing Car Stereo by julioralph(m): 8:07pm On Jan 26, 2012
Mr beaf & co, i'm really disappointed with ur comments. Of course i don't support robbers etc but sending him to d hangman is just too harsh! Besides d poor guy has already spent 10years in jail. I hope d likes of femi falana & festus keyamo take this up
Re: Mechanic Sentenced To Death For Stealing Car Stereo by efisher(m): 8:15pm On Jan 26, 2012
Petty stealing / pilfering is different from ARMED robbery. An armed robber is automatically guilty of attempted murder. With the current state of our security, such people should not be allowed to go free. This category should also include kidnappers and those who loot public funds.
Re: Mechanic Sentenced To Death For Stealing Car Stereo by sheyguy: 8:20pm On Jan 26, 2012
They are just trying to distract the likes of Femi Falana and Kayemo.
Armed robbery be punished with jail time. If they tried to kill or kill in the course in the robbery then we can say the death sentence is deserved.
Re: Mechanic Sentenced To Death For Stealing Car Stereo by 9jaIhail(m): 8:26pm On Jan 26, 2012
efisher:

Petty stealing / pilfering is different from ARMED robbery. An armed robber is automatically guilty of attempted murder. With the current state of our security, such people should not be allowed to go free. This category should also include kidnappers and those who loot public funds.

you and i use to be on one side always but it seems i am gonna disagree with on this issue.

you have over emphasize this your tough law on arm robbery or looters, now i wanna know if you are saying we should start that Chinese style of law by using the poor as an example? please make me to understand
Re: Mechanic Sentenced To Death For Stealing Car Stereo by efisher(m): 8:45pm On Jan 26, 2012
@9ja-I-hail, my point is not that we should start with the poor. Far from it. But if you have had any experience with an armed robber, you will understand where I'm coming from. I do not want to mention my personal experience here so I don't end up revealing too much about my life here. But can u remember the case of the armed robbers who asked passengers to lie down on the road for a bus to drive over them? That's for starters. Anyone who uses a gun to rob is extremely wicked and circumstances may easily lead such person to murder. As for the looters, corruption has become such a huge stigma on us and as they say, desperate times call for desperate measures. If we must redeem this nation from the pit of corruption, we have to do things differently. On one thread, I remember making the following recommendations:
All looters should be made to pay back 2 times the looted money and ALL their assets seized by the government. A life sentence can also be added.

I agree the death penalty may be harsh for the armed robber / kidnapper / looter who hasn't committed murder yet. Maybe life sentence will be more appropriate but do we have that "luxury" in Nigeria? In any case, these 3 categories of people are terribly wicked and we have to find a potent way to deal with them whether they are rich or poor. That's my main point.
Re: Mechanic Sentenced To Death For Stealing Car Stereo by 9jaIhail(m): 8:54pm On Jan 26, 2012
efisher:

@9ja-I-hail, my point is not that we should start with the poor. Far from it. But if you have had any experience with an armed robber, you will understand where I'm coming from. I do not want to mention my personal experience here so I don't end up revealing too much about my life here. But can u remember the case of the armed robbers who asked passengers to lie down on the road for a bus to drive over them? That's for starters. Anyone who uses a gun to rob is extremely wicked and circumstances may easily lead such person to murder. As for the looters, corruption has become such a huge stigma on us and as they say, desperate times call for desperate measures. If we must redeem this nation from the pit of corruption, we have to do things differently. On one thread, I remember making the following recommendations:
All looters should be made to pay back 2 times the looted money and ALL their assets seized by the government. A life sentence can also be added.

I agree the death penalty may be harsh for the armed robber / kidnapper / looter who hasn't committed murder yet. Maybe life sentence will be more appropriate but do we have that "luxury" in Nigeria? In any case, these 3 categories of people are terribly wicked and we have to find a potent way to deal with them whether they are rich or poor. That's my main point.

i got your point. but since our judiciary is not competent enough to implement a tough law as that and maintain it without corrupting it i support it but for we to believe them they have to star from the likes of OBJ IBB AND CO. but trust me if such law implemented in this current Nigeria only the poor masses will be the victim of the law as the rich politicians will always buy the law with the ghana must go filled with money.
Re: Mechanic Sentenced To Death For Stealing Car Stereo by efisher(m): 8:59pm On Jan 26, 2012
You have a point there. Trust our corrupt system to twist the law against the poor and in favor of the "highest bidder"! Anyway, I know it's not going to be feasible. It's such a shame.
Re: Mechanic Sentenced To Death For Stealing Car Stereo by 9jaIhail(m): 9:17pm On Jan 26, 2012
i know that you know our country better,our country need revolution and that is only way there will be a great change,but who will lead us for the revolution without politicizing it or without myopic agenda. anyway i gotta go now bro.catch you same time same place tomorrow lol
Re: Mechanic Sentenced To Death For Stealing Car Stereo by Nobody: 8:43am On Jan 27, 2012
Stealing car stereo? He Got to be Yoruba angry angry angry
Re: Mechanic Sentenced To Death For Stealing Car Stereo by nairaman66(m): 8:45am On Jan 27, 2012
GEJ should be tried and hanged too, Because he robbed us all of our civil right to Subsidy!
Re: Mechanic Sentenced To Death For Stealing Car Stereo by Austyn316(m): 8:51am On Jan 27, 2012
The newspaper report got it wrong. The accused was not sentenced to death for stealing. Stealing is not a capital offense.

The accused was guilty of armed robbery and that was what attracted the punishment. Let's stop all this sensational reporting and distorting of facts. The Vanguard editor/reporter ought to be queried for publication of falsehood. This is annoying.
Re: Mechanic Sentenced To Death For Stealing Car Stereo by success4(m): 8:55am On Jan 27, 2012
Sharia in Delta State? shocked
Re: Mechanic Sentenced To Death For Stealing Car Stereo by Acidosis(m): 9:05am On Jan 27, 2012
El Guapo:

Stealing car stereo? He Got to be Yoruba angry angry angry
You are mad.
OP, it serves him right and I think the topic doesn't justify the act cos it was actually @ gun point, what if he killed the lecturer? ?
Re: Mechanic Sentenced To Death For Stealing Car Stereo by 9jaIhail(m): 9:07am On Jan 27, 2012
Austyn316:

The newspaper report got it wrong. The accused was not sentenced to death for stealing. Stealing is not a capital offense.

The accused was guilty of armed robbery and that was what attracted the punishment. Let's stop all this sensational reporting and distorting of facts. The Vanguard editor/reporter ought to be queried for publication of falsehood. This is annoying.

@ bolded are you saying he deserve death by hanging sentence? what will you say boko haram that kill in bundles should get,and you are aware that maximum jail term boko haram have got so far is 3years.please you are bias on your judgment
Re: Mechanic Sentenced To Death For Stealing Car Stereo by pcicero(m): 9:08am On Jan 27, 2012
Armed Robbery is a capital offense and deserves capital punishment. But in this case, the guy would have been in jail for 10years which is enough to make someone penitent. I think they should set him free at this time.
Re: Mechanic Sentenced To Death For Stealing Car Stereo by 9jaIhail(m): 9:09am On Jan 27, 2012
our judicial should stop this rubbish of excising the weight of our law only on the poor masses while those who deserve harsher punishment walk free
Re: Mechanic Sentenced To Death For Stealing Car Stereo by GeJ4life: 9:20am On Jan 27, 2012
The current state of our nation demands that we should not only amend our laws to be more radical and crime-fighting but also the institutions and structures should be reformed as well to enable them adequately perform their roles in the entire justice system. Why should they not test the condemned man first to see if he isn't suffering from any mental issues, to ascertain whether his state of mind is MENTALLY OK-(STEALING A CAR STEREO AND NOT THE CAR) Why should stealing politicians not get Life Jail Sentence (@ least). Why should the a court rule against an electoral candidate for rigging an election without sending the candidate to @ least 10 years behind bars. What is the Immunity clause still doing in our Constitution for God's SAKE. Why , abegiii.
Re: Mechanic Sentenced To Death For Stealing Car Stereo by claremont(m): 9:22am On Jan 27, 2012
[b]Death sentence, for whatever offence, is the most barbaric, uncivilised, and meaningless form of punishment ever invented by man. It has been scientifically proven not to contribute to crime prevention, some scholars have even argued that a judicial system which relies on death sentences as a means of curbing violent crime will actually lead to an increase in the violent crimes it aims to curb. The Nigerian judicial system has been meting out death sentences for armed robbery from time immemorial, yet we still have massive armed robbery cases pervading our street.

What the judiciary should be doing is to hand out long-term jail sentences with hard labour to perpetrators of crimes such as armed robbery, corruption, terrorism e.t.c. These sentences shouldn't just be handed out, but they should be carried out without any recourse to parole or pardon. This is a much more humane and civilised approach which developed countries of the world have identified with. Death sentences are just a part of what remains of mankind's animalistic, and cave-man culture, it should be done away with in Nigeria.[/b]
Re: Mechanic Sentenced To Death For Stealing Car Stereo by 9jaIhail(m): 9:26am On Jan 27, 2012
GeJ4life:

The current state of our nation demands that we should not only amend our laws to be more radical and crime-fighting but also the institutions and structures should be reformed as well to enable them adequately perform their roles in the entire justice system. Why should they not test the condemned man first to see if he isn't suffering from any mental issues, to ascertain whether his state of mind is MENTALLY OK-(STEALING A CAR STEREO AND NOT THE CAR) Why should stealing politicians not get Life Jail Sentence (@ least). Why should the a court rule against an electoral candidate for rigging an election without sending the candidate to @ least 10 years behind bars. What is the Immunity clause still doing in our Constitution for God's SAKE. Why , abegiii.

you have said it all. some of us masses contribute what make this stupid laws work only on us. stealing is bad and i don't support it but while should the law be active only on the poor

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Boko Haram Received Training Within, Outside Africa – Defence Minister / Robbers Invade Fuel Station On Lagos-ibadan Expressway, Kill Four People / Kaduna State Frees 19 Inmates Over Prison Congestion

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.