Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,021 members, 7,799,480 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 April 2024 at 10:24 PM

Nigeria - 3rd Twitter Nation In Africa - Webmasters - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / Nigeria - 3rd Twitter Nation In Africa (9917 Views)

The Nation Newspaper Goes RWD / The Nation Newspaper Site Messed Up / The Nation Begins Antivirus Software Distribution Tomorrow (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigeria - 3rd Twitter Nation In Africa by GeneralGEJ: 6:27pm On Jan 26, 2012
The first Twitter map of Africa shows the social network is forging links between smartphone users from Cape Town to Cairo while, with a few exceptions, political and business leaders are yet to get the hang of tweeting.

More than 11.5m geographically pinpointed tweets originating on the continent during the last three months of 2011 were analysed by Portland Communications's Kenya office and media platform Tweetminster.

Africa's biggest economy, South Africa, generated the most tweets with over 5m, more than double second placed Kenya's 2.48m. Then came Nigeria (1.67m), Egypt (1.21m) and Morocco (0.75m).

Rwanda, which has invested heavily in information technology, produced nearly 100,000 tweets – way more than its giant and impoverished neighbour, the Democratic Republic of the Congo, with 2,408.

The map also shows that thousands of people are now using Twitter in less "wired" countries such as Angola, Burkina Faso, Cameroon, Ethiopia, Mali, Niger and Sudan.

The research, How Africa Tweets, also carried out a survey of 500 of Africa's most active tweeters. It found Twitter in Africa is fast becoming an important source of information on a continent with few guarantees of press freedom.

The average age of African tweeters is between 20 and 29 years old, compared to the worldwide average of 39 years old. Some 57% of tweets from Africa are sent from mobile devices, including BlackBerrys and iPhones.

Toby Shapshak, editor of Stuff magazine in South Africa, said: "Africa is a mobile-first continent. There are more people with phones than PCs."

Twitter is widely used for social conversation, with four in five of those polled saying they mainly used it for communicating with friends. But more than two in three of those polled said they use Twitter to monitor news. More than one in four uses it to search for job opportunities.

How Africa Tweets found that Twitter is helping to form new links within Africa. The majority of those surveyed said that at least half of the Twitter accounts they followed were based on the continent.

But the companies behind the research said few African business and political leaders have joined the continent's Twittersphere.

Mark Flanagan, Portland's partner for digital communications, said: "One of the more surprising findings of this research is that more public figures have not joined Africa's burgeoning Twittersphere.

"With some notable exceptions, we found that business and political leaders were largely absent from the debates playing out on Twitter across the continent. As Twitter lifts off in Africa, governments, businesses and development agencies can really no longer afford to stay out of a new space where dialogue will increasingly be taking place."

Rwanda's president Paul Kagame is a notable exception when it comes to leaders' Twitter abstinence, as is South African president Jacob Zuma, although his most recent post was on 8 January. "It feels good to be here in Mangaung," it reads. "I wouldn't have it any other way. The ANC is great."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2012/jan/26/african-twitter-map-continent-connected#

Re: Nigeria - 3rd Twitter Nation In Africa by GeneralGEJ: 6:29pm On Jan 26, 2012
What is population of South Africa + Kenya combined - what a shame for Nigeria , seriously lacking in infrastruture .

I am sure most of the twitters come from  Lagos state
Re: Nigeria - 3rd Twitter Nation In Africa by Nobody: 8:45pm On Jan 26, 2012
With all the useless, disgraceful gossips we get from twitter from nigerian artistes na him make nigeria 3rd in africa? oya make we go carry medal now, nonsense.
Re: Nigeria - 3rd Twitter Nation In Africa by pendo89(f): 8:49pm On Jan 26, 2012
wow I just saw in the news. I must be the only untwitting kenyan.Will push that number up.
Re: Nigeria - 3rd Twitter Nation In Africa by Nobody: 10:01pm On Jan 26, 2012
am sure in 2 yrs time max naija will outdo both SA and Kenya! wait till twitter fever catch naija pips u fear grin grin grin
Re: Nigeria - 3rd Twitter Nation In Africa by Cleanman(m): 10:23am On Jan 27, 2012
The truth is most Nigerians dont give a f-u-c-k about twitter, facebook is where the sh,it is happening!, check Nigeria facebook users alongside other african countries.
Re: Nigeria - 3rd Twitter Nation In Africa by Lilnikee(m): 10:25am On Jan 27, 2012
Does it matter who comes 1st or last?
Re: Nigeria - 3rd Twitter Nation In Africa by Acidosis(m): 10:40am On Jan 27, 2012
fu*k twitter. I hate it with passion.
Re: Nigeria - 3rd Twitter Nation In Africa by safarigirl(f): 10:59am On Jan 27, 2012
I hate twitter, both confusing ǡŋ₫ annoying. I really couldn't care less what someone ħǟƌ for breakfast or the type ☺₣ cream they use. Why do people even twit?
Re: Nigeria - 3rd Twitter Nation In Africa by ceejayluv(m): 11:04am On Jan 27, 2012
Cleanman:

The truth is most Nigerians dont give a f-u-c-k about twitter, facebook is where the sh,it is happening!, check Nigeria facebook users alongside other african countries.
Nigeria's still in 3rd position on fb users in Africa behind Egypt and South Africa,
Re: Nigeria - 3rd Twitter Nation In Africa by yawatide(f): 11:21am On Jan 27, 2012
a few days ago, it was "facebook has grown 100% in Nigeria". Now it is twitter. When will it be, "Nigeria has the highest employment rate in the world"?

#justSaying
Re: Nigeria - 3rd Twitter Nation In Africa by otokx(m): 11:28am On Jan 27, 2012
we shall get there
Re: Nigeria - 3rd Twitter Nation In Africa by Revolva(m): 11:43am On Jan 27, 2012
What has twitter got to do with our development, even if we carry last its better sef, that one no go put food for table
Re: Nigeria - 3rd Twitter Nation In Africa by Ucheosefoh(m): 11:48am On Jan 27, 2012
ceejayluv:

Nigeria's still in 3rd position on fb users in Africa behind Egypt and South Africa, 
link pls or u shut up
Re: Nigeria - 3rd Twitter Nation In Africa by phonixy(m): 11:54am On Jan 27, 2012
@safarigirl,i definatly agree wit u,i just can't imagine twit'n virtually evrything i do!!! It can b< <<bor'n>>>
Re: Nigeria - 3rd Twitter Nation In Africa by safarigirl(f): 12:01pm On Jan 27, 2012
^^I know
Re: Nigeria - 3rd Twitter Nation In Africa by walcolm(m): 12:03pm On Jan 27, 2012
For those who have expressed confusion on how the twitter system works, i think you should all take the time to do the following for at least two weeks

[list]
[li]Install twitter on your smartphone if you have one (BB, apple, Android, samsung)
follow businesses and services you are interested in i.e. gtb, nairaland, aero, EPL etc
watch for 2 weeks the tweets that will come to your timeline[/li]
[li][/li]
[/list]

that will help you view what others are doing with their twitter account and you can use that to learn how to use it.

i personally believe, Nigeria ought to take the no1 spot from SA, #justsaying #patriotism
Re: Nigeria - 3rd Twitter Nation In Africa by walcolm(m): 12:05pm On Jan 27, 2012
phonixy:

@safarigirl,i definatly agree wit u,i just can't imagine twit'n virtually evrything i do!!! It can b< <<bor'n>>>

you dont have to tweet everything you do. no tweeting at all because you dont want to tweet everything you do is why Nigeria is no3 and not no1

seriously, just tweeting happenings around you that you feel are significant will go a long way
Re: Nigeria - 3rd Twitter Nation In Africa by freecocoa(f): 12:20pm On Jan 27, 2012
Please what is twitter,anyone? undecided
Re: Nigeria - 3rd Twitter Nation In Africa by Frosti(m): 12:38pm On Jan 27, 2012
freecocoa:

Are you for real?

Anyway, read this post on my blog, will help you understand what is twitter and how to use it effectively www.onwaweb.com/2012/01/what-is-twitter.html

@topic,
Of what use will this statistics be? It doesn't solve of Nigeria's problems.
Re: Nigeria - 3rd Twitter Nation In Africa by eghost247(m): 12:39pm On Jan 27, 2012
freecocoa:

??
Re: Nigeria - 3rd Twitter Nation In Africa by chineloSA(f): 12:40pm On Jan 27, 2012
woodcook:

am sure in 2 yrs time max naija will outdo both SA and Kenya!  wait till twitter fever catch naija pips  u fear grin grin grin

Whats up with this SA/ Nigeria comparison. Do things as Nigerians and stop using SA as a performance bar.
Re: Nigeria - 3rd Twitter Nation In Africa by zenus(m): 12:49pm On Jan 27, 2012
Kenya cannot overtake Nigeria.
I'm sure we will be first on FB
Re: Nigeria - 3rd Twitter Nation In Africa by Suntemi(m): 12:53pm On Jan 27, 2012
Frosti:

Are you for real?

Anyway, read this post on my blog, will help you understand what is twitter and how to use it effectively www.onwaweb.com/2012/01/what-is-twitter.html

@topic,
Of what use will this statistics be? It doesn't solve of Nigeria's problems.

grin grin grin grin see ad
Re: Nigeria - 3rd Twitter Nation In Africa by xtremeidea(m): 1:10pm On Jan 27, 2012
GeneralGEJ:

What is population of South Africa + Kenya combined - what a shame for Nigeria , seriously lacking in infrastruture .

I am sure most of the twitters come from  Lagos state

We are getting there! remember there was a time most Nigerians couldn't even afford a laptop. Now most us have even tabs, smartphone and so on.

Itz a gradual process. we'll get there
Re: Nigeria - 3rd Twitter Nation In Africa by salix9ice(m): 1:29pm On Jan 27, 2012
twitter sucks,
hey i just added u to my Mafia family, wat is that all about, wat does that even mean ihate seeing that message
Re: Nigeria - 3rd Twitter Nation In Africa by jba203: 1:53pm On Jan 27, 2012
The Yardstick here is socio-economic standards my Nigerian peeps. You know Nigerians are poor. South Africa is the Best. Many firth grade learners own smartphones, Ipads and alikes in that land. Those people live a European life. You go there it will stgrike you how Modern that state is. and it is continuing everyday, so, you cannot compete with SA, AND WIN
Re: Nigeria - 3rd Twitter Nation In Africa by Cleanman(m): 2:03pm On Jan 27, 2012
jba203:

The Yardstick here is socio-economic standards my Nigerian peeps. You know Nigerians are poor. South Africa is the Best. Many firth grade learners own smartphones, Ipads and alikes in that land. Those people live a European life. You go there it will stgrike you how Modern that state is. and it is continuing everyday, so, you cannot compete with SA, AND WIN
and see who is comparing
Re: Nigeria - 3rd Twitter Nation In Africa by Cleanman(m): 2:08pm On Jan 27, 2012
ceejayluv:

are you guessing cos last time i checked nigeria was the country with largest facebook users on the african continent,trailed by egypt,sa then kenya.
Re: Nigeria - 3rd Twitter Nation In Africa by fe32(m): 2:23pm On Jan 27, 2012
guys needs just 2 into dis twitter tingy to understand what its all about,

, twitter really rocks,
, u get the very latest of gist e,g d occupynigeria move on twitter was 1dful,
, i got d info b4 news media started talkin about kano bombings, guys close to the event where sending tweets out every second,
, for educational purposes, twitter really rocks, just follow experts,companies and group in any field of interest and see how many links and blogs of detailed and necessary information u will be swamped with
Re: Nigeria - 3rd Twitter Nation In Africa by geek(m): 2:34pm On Jan 27, 2012
Re: Nigeria - 3rd Twitter Nation In Africa by solomon111(m): 3:26pm On Jan 27, 2012
Nigerians just love to misplace their priority.
How is this information news-worthy.
How is twitter going to help us take our rightful place in the comity of nations especially beyond africa.
I tire for Nigerians !
Indeed the black race is the least intelligent.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Between Forum And Blog, Which One Is Better? / *Become A CERTIFIED PAYPAL/ECURRENCIES AGENT etc & Earn a STEADY Income Daily! / How To Post On A Blog With Phone

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.