Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,574 members, 7,809,095 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 10:55 PM

Why Dont We Recall Our Reps - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why Dont We Recall Our Reps (1294 Views)

See What Our Reps Have Been Doing Since Primary School(Hilarious picture) / Can't We Recall Our Reps / Why Dont We Read In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Dont We Recall Our Reps by mikolo80: 8:03pm On Jan 26, 2012
why dont we use the power of recall to reign in our leaders.all it takes is 50% of the registered voters.
Re: Why Dont We Recall Our Reps by Nobody: 8:24pm On Jan 26, 2012
can you give an outline? how is it done? we will appreciate a step by step process.
Re: Why Dont We Recall Our Reps by mikolo80: 7:45pm On Mar 10, 2012
wish nairaland was a chat app like 2go for real time convo.anyway huge procedure spelled out in constitution.basically write a letter showin displeasure in ur legislator and have it signed by half the number of ppl registered to vote in that constituency
Re: Why Dont We Recall Our Reps by DuduNegro: 7:55pm On Mar 10, 2012
What are you trying to achieve with the recall?
Re: Why Dont We Recall Our Reps by naptu2: 8:33pm On Mar 10, 2012
I think there were attempts to recall Osita Izunaso and Arthur Nzeribe.
Re: Why Dont We Recall Our Reps by PROUDIGBO(m): 8:55pm On Mar 10, 2012
mikolo80:

wish nairaland was a chat app like 2go for real time convo.anyway huge procedure spelled out in constitution.basically write a letter showin displeasure in ur legislator and have it signed by half the number of ppl registered to vote in that constituency

^^^Recall Reps/Govn'rs in Nigeria shocked? Pigs will fly first b/4 that happens (you think my Abia kith and kin haven't given such an idea serious consideration? I'm still wondering how my Imo brethren did it undecided undecided). An honest elected official stands a greater chance of being recalled in this country, especially when he/she feels they're 'smart' and want to sanitize things.

On the bolded: well you can write said letter, but don't be surprised if you meet up with an 'unfortunate accident' b/4 you get past the first ten signatures.

Nigeria (as presently constituted) can never do 'Democracy' the way it was intended unless certain fundamental questions are first addressed.
Re: Why Dont We Recall Our Reps by mikolo80: 11:02am On Mar 13, 2012
DUDE WE HAVE A CHOICE.WE EITHER PARTAKE OF DEMOCRACY OR WE STOP BITCHIN.COS THE ALMIGHITY IS NOT GO'N TO COME DOWN AND DO IT FOR US
Re: Why Dont We Recall Our Reps by mikolo80: 11:03am On Mar 13, 2012
TRUST ME I SERVED IN NATIONAL ASSEMBLY IN AN ELECTION YEAR AND I KNO HOW LEGISLATORS DEAR PPL AT GRASSROOTS
Re: Why Dont We Recall Our Reps by mikolo80: 11:07am On Mar 13, 2012
AND STOP FORMIN CHICKEN LITTLE.DID THE SKY FALL WHEN DORA WAS IN NAFDAC OR RIBADU IN EFCC OR EL RUFAI IN ABJ OR GANI BACK DURIN IBB OR SOYINKA ....... GUY STOP BEIN A BITCH AND BE A MAN.OR UR CHILDREN WILL BE WORSE THAN SLAVES
Re: Why Dont We Recall Our Reps by Yeske2(m): 4:58pm On Mar 13, 2012
Almost 'impossicant' in Nigeria, too bad but true unless drastic changes are made from the grassroot.
Re: Why Dont We Recall Our Reps by mikolo80: 10:49am On Mar 19, 2012
HOW CAN YOU CONDEMN SOM'N YOU HAVEN'T EVEN TRIED YET
Re: Why Dont We Recall Our Reps by mikolo80: 11:15am On Mar 19, 2012
PROUD-IGBO:

^^^Recall Reps/Govn'rs in Nigeria shocked? Pigs will fly first b/4 that happens (you think my Abia kith and kin haven't given such an idea serious consideration? I'm still wondering how my Imo brethren did it undecided undecided). An honest elected official stands a greater chance of being recalled in this country, especially when he/she feels they're 'smart' and want to sanitize things.

On the bolded: well you can write said letter, but don't be surprised if you meet up with an 'unfortunate accident' b/4 you get past the first ten signatures.

Nigeria (as presently constituted) can never do 'Democracy' the way it was intended unless certain fundamental questions are first addressed.
HONEST POLITICIANS GET RECALLED COS HE REPRESENTIN DISHONEST PPL.THATS DEMOCRACY AT WORK.MAJORITY OF BAD PPL WILL RESULT IN BAD LEADERS.SO LETS TEST IT IF PPL DONT SIGN THEN IT MEANS THEY ARE OK WIT THINGS THE WAY THEY ARE.THATS WHAT IS CALLED THE TYRANNY OF THE MAJORITY.A MAJOR FLAW OF DEMOCRACY.BUT I THINK ITS BETTER TO DID STANDIN THAN TO LIVE ON YOUR KNEES.YOUR CHOICE
Re: Why Dont We Recall Our Reps by mikolo80: 8:09pm On Jun 29, 2014
PROUD-IGBO:

bros we start somewhere or do you have a better idea.i'm all ears
Re: Why Dont We Recall Our Reps by naptu2: 7:07am On Jun 30, 2014
mikolo80: HOW CAN YOU CONDEMN SOM'N YOU HAVEN'T EVEN TRIED YET

1) It's been done many times in the past. For example:

naptu2: I think there were attempts to recall Osita Izunaso and Arthur Nzeribe.

Early in 2009 there were moves to recall Izunaso, with a petition submitted by people of the Orlu Senatorial District of Imo state to the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC).[4] Deputy Senate President Ike Ekweremadu dismissed the threats as baseless, pointing to the excellent work the Senator had done for the people of the state.[5] 

Both Izunaso and Ekweremadu were part of a lobby group opposed to dismissal of INEC chairman Professor Maurice Iwu despite the many problems of the 2007 elections. Izunaso's support for Iwu may have been because Iwu was responsible for conduct of the referendum on Izunaso's recall.[6]
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Osita_Izunaso

In April 2006 the Orlu People’s Consultative Assembly, sponsored by the governor of Imo state Achike Udenwa, staged what it called “One million March” to drum support for Nzeribe’s recall from the Senate.[6]
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arthur_Nzeribe

having allegedly failed to apologise to Governor Godswill Akpabio over his recent utterances, the people of Ikot Ekpene Senatorial District, are expected to kick-start a recall process of Senator Aloysius Etok on Friday, May 10, 2013.

http://dailypost.ng/2013/05/09/akwa-ibom-indigenes-move-to-recall-senator-etok/

2) From past experience, the main obstacle is the process of collecting signatures.

3) Once you start collecting signatures, the politician will head to court to stop the process (the main aim of going to court is not really to get a court order to nullify the process, but to buy time).

4) The politician will start a money war . He will bribe, influence and coerce voters, so that they will not apend their signature to your petition.

5) The fact that someone has signed your petition does not mean that you are home and dry. The politician will bribe the person in order to get the person to allege that you forged his signature.

6) The police will arrest you for forgery.

7) The politician would have finished his tenure and moved on by the time that all the court cases (including regular appeals that will go all the way to the Supreme Court) are concluded.

8 ) The fact that you are able to collect the necessary signatures, does not mean that the politician will be removed from office. Referenda, just like elections, can be rigged.

9) Refer to PROUD-IGBO's post about unfortunate accidents
Re: Why Dont We Recall Our Reps by mikolo80: 11:15am On Jun 30, 2014
naptu2:

1) It's been done many times in the past. For example:

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Osita_Izunaso

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arthur_Nzeribe

http://dailypost.ng/2013/05/09/akwa-ibom-indigenes-move-to-recall-senator-etok/

2) From past experience, the main obstacle is the process of collecting signatures.

3) Once you start collecting signatures, the politician will head to court to stop the process (the main aim of going to court is not really to get a court order to nullify the process, but to buy time).

4) The politician will start a money war . He will bribe, influence and coerce voters, so that they will not apend their signature to your petition.

5) The fact that someone has signed your petition does not mean that you are home and dry. The politician will bribe the person in order to get the person to allege that you forged his signature.

6) The police will arrest you for forgery.

7) The politician would have finished his tenure and moved on by the time that all the court cases (including regular appeals that will go all the way to the Supreme Court) are concluded.

8 ) The fact that you are able to collect the necessary signatures, does not mean that the politician will be removed from office. Referenda, just like elections, can be rigged.

9) Refer to PROUD-IGBO's post about unfortunate accidents
1.we have to crawl before we can fly.its a process. 2. Buying time, we sell time then.if "we" institute the process on an annual or biannual basis will s/he bribe 40000 ppl every six months? I'll take it. Its better than him pocketing all the billions. 3. Judges can be taken to court as scapegoats others will stop issuing stupid injunctions. 4 .its a game that we have to play or we continue suffering. Its easier to get frustrated ppl signatures than for them to protest on the road and get tear gasped is all i'm saying and you'll be a pain in the asss of the politician. 5. If we are afraid of assassination then we should stop complaining and enjoy the fresh air. Just saying
Re: Why Dont We Recall Our Reps by naptu2: 11:49am On Jun 30, 2014
mikolo80: 1.we have to crawl before we can fly.its a process. 2. Buying time, we sell time then.if "we" institute the process on an annual or biannual basis will s/he bribe 40000 ppl every six months? I'll take it. Its better than him pocketing all the billions. 3. Judges can be taken to court as scapegoats others will stop issuing stupid injunctions. 4 .its a game that we have to play or we continue suffering. Its easier to get frustrated ppl signatures than for them to protest on the road and get tear gasped is all i'm saying and you'll be a pain in the asss of the politician. 5. If we are afraid of assassination then we should stop complaining and enjoy the fresh air. Just saying

1) Of course I know it's a process. I'm addressing your statement that "it hasn't been tried before". It has.

2) How many people are in the constituency and how many people do they need to bribe? The fact that you restart the process every 6 months does not mean that you will change the minds of the people that have been bought. And yes, these politicians have access to huge state funds that can be used for mass bribery. Where do you think the billions that's looted every year goes to?

How will you restart the process every 6 months when you are being held by the police for forgery?

Do you know that INEC needs to verify the signatures? What will you do if INEC refuses to verify the signatures (this has happened in the past)?

3) Yes judges can be taken to court, but who will adjudicate? Another corrupt judge?

4) It's a game you can continue playing, but do you really think it's that easy to get signatures? Don't you think we'd have been having recall petitions every week if it was that simple?

(1) (Reply)

Boko Haram Attack Market In Maidugari,kill 30 People / How Awori And Egun Clash In Ogun Almost Took My Life / PHOTOS: Henry Okah's Accomplice Enraged As He Was Being Dragged To Jail

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.