Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,585 members, 7,809,115 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 11:44 PM

Nigerians Are Cowards (Half Of A Yellow Sun Casting) - TV/Movies (15) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Nigerians Are Cowards (Half Of A Yellow Sun Casting) (43282 Views)

My Experience Of "Half Of A Yellow Sun" At The Cinema / Half Of A Yellow Sun Confirmed As Nollywood’s Most Expensive Movie / Genevieve Nnaji's Scenes Cut Out Of Half Of A Yellow Sun (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerians Are Cowards (Half Of A Yellow Sun Casting) by coogar: 11:35pm On Feb 08, 2012
omar22:

Like a detective, a Cop, Interrogator, an Army, a teacher, a coach, a desperate father, soldier, a scientist, a promoter, a factory worker etc

That's a wide range of roles he has played,  he is not shoe-horned into a corner

don't mind the intellectually-sterile schlepp!
how can anyone say samuel l. jackson struggles to find non-stereotypical roles. i am sure he would say the same about will smith as well.
talking about shooting one's self in the foot.
Re: Nigerians Are Cowards (Half Of A Yellow Sun Casting) by cheikh: 2:07am On Feb 09, 2012
baby-boy
I feel angry that the industry stayed at a mediocre level, I have seen the music industry take giant strides but the Movie industry doesn't want to improve.

@^^ Why would you be angry at an industry that is relatively self reliant and capital intensive than the music video production(industry) capital required to impress you grin. Aren't you somehow admitting to the fact that you've become accustomed to " western" movie standards/genres so much so that you don't know where to draw the line of 'fairness" and "judgement"?. You obviously, admire the music videos because of your inherent prejudice and fondness for anything that has the semblance of "Americana" grin or the mimicry of American music genres/videos including "accents" et al. It is your choice and taste of course. Please do not judge a whole industry based on your "whims and fancies". Nollywood is still a developing industry where we don't really have many professional/ trained film makers like the Indians and Euro-Americans. Music videos are not that many and does not require the kind of input that will make a great difference to impress a lot of Nigerians addicted and nurtured on everything "Americana". Be a little generous and charitable to our very young and fledgeling movie industry. We may not get it right most of the times but we are making strides that even the South Africans have acknowledged our impact so much so that their previous President(Mbeki) admonished and advised his country men/women to copy the "Nigerian" ingenuity and creativity in the movie industry to create more viable jobs for her citizens. I would not like to remind you that much of the so called South African movie industry has been in existence since pre/during apartheid era and it is wholly "White". What's the big deal? They have the infrastructure to support the industry. Much of the so called Nigerian music videos are made in South Africa anyway and even in Ghana. Our environment and infrastructure is almost totally user unfriendly/non existent. I wonder what are your 'standards' or desirable notion for "improve" in Nollywood? We are not perfect. We all know and acknowledge that fact. We should not be too careless with our acquired "taste" and misguided perception that Nollywood have not improved at all. Bro, review your "taste and perception" and perhaps you'll be less angry but a little enthusiastic for our hard working self taught, un-trained Nollywood personnel. Please leave the Indians alone. The [b]caste [/b]system has been in existence in India and does not need us on this thread to analyse. I presume we all know what it is in the first place?
Re: Nigerians Are Cowards (Half Of A Yellow Sun Casting) by Nnenna1(f): 6:30am On Feb 09, 2012
^^^ While I appreciate the strides that Nollywood has made in terms of propelling many careers and putting Nigeria on the map (Entertainment wise), I think that holding them to standard rather than cutting them some slack because they embody Africans or haven't had the head-start that the likes of Bollywood and Hollywood have is essential.

Have you actually watched the average Nollywood movie? Sorry to say even with limited budget and time they can do SO MUCH better. I'm actually a fan and I watch these movies more than people I know but I'm calling it as I see it. Please note my criticism has nothing to do with the actors who bring these movies to light. I think they are actually on the same level as those in other countries (even better, on occasion) when it comes the average acting skills.

I'm talking about the incompetent movie crew and marketers. Even old-time movies such as Glamour Girls, True Confession, Rattle Snake, Out of Bounds, etc will show how the quality of direction and story has declined over the years, despite the upsurge in digital video technology and increase in numbers of actors and celebrities.

Please we Africans should learn to entrust more confidence to our entertainers and instill a sense of responsibility to quality. We should not exempt ourselves from such because we "are trying" with limited resources. Why should we always stick out as exemptions on a lower-end basis? Come on now.

Seeing as the movie industry is standalone, can't some individuals raise funds to buy real movie equipment and film editing studios that well-meaning producers can rent? How about scholarships for aspiring producers/directors to film schools in India or Asia or gigs in Bollywood, South African, or Asian movie sets to see how they do it? I will personally donate money if someone will run this initiative. May not be much, but I'm sure there are several who will feel passionate enough to render a little help too.

We have so many stories to tell but no one is telling them. Why create movies about semi-p0rn and meaningless campus blackberry escapades when we have books like The Concubine, No Longer at Ease, Half of a Yellow Sun, most of the Pacesetter novels from back in day? Historical landmarks, and even the seemingly mundane details of Nigerian life will make for more meaningful films than the trash we are seeing nowadays.
Re: Nigerians Are Cowards (Half Of A Yellow Sun Casting) by ThiefOfHearts(f): 6:46am On Feb 09, 2012
*claps* cap28 is back. yay!  grin

thread is back on track.  smiley

Will Smith is a BS actor actually but I know you fanboys wont agree.

Denzel has pretty good range, Samuel is half and half. Both are talented however.
Re: Nigerians Are Cowards (Half Of A Yellow Sun Casting) by ThiefOfHearts(f): 6:53am On Feb 09, 2012
Nnenna1:

We have so many stories to tell but no one is telling them. Why create movies about semi-p0rn and meaningless campus blackberry escapades when we have books like The Concubine, No Longer at Ease, Half of a Yellow Sun, most of the Pacesetter novels from back in day? Historical landmarks, and even the seemingly mundane details of Nigerian life will make for more meaningful films than the trash we are seeing nowadays.

Agreed X1000

However this is where "Yorubawood" shines IMO. Might not have the "fancy" technology but the plot/stories are better and majority are historical and not copies of Hollwyood BS

Anyway, who's behind the upcoming Fela bio
Re: Nigerians Are Cowards (Half Of A Yellow Sun Casting) by babyboy3(m): 7:34am On Feb 09, 2012
However this is where "Yorubawood" shines IMO. Might not have the "fancy" technology but the plot/stories are better and majority are historical and not copies of Hollwyood BS

Yoruba movie copied Tyler Perry's Dairy of a Black woman acted by Saidi Balogun!!!! it was disgusting

@cheikh

Look when I mentioned the music it has nothing to do with Musical Videos or what it sounds like but more in production,  The Nigerian movie industry is not in its infancy stage, the name Nollywood might sound new but the industry has been around since the 70's or do you think Cinema just sprung up in Nigeria yesterday. All the Ogunde movies, Baba Sala, Ade Love etc. Only because they want to make it appeal to the western world, like when Jackie Chan did when he released Police Story in the late 80s thats, all I know is that I was expecting atleast baby steps, but no no no,  Yes I do watch Hollywood but that was then and what has that got to do with the price of tea! I do watch Nollywood movies but I want to see improvement. not movies that you shoot someone from outside a window and the window does not break but the person behind the window is blown away,  or a car rolls 5mph into a bush and you see the driver dead covered in blood as if the car hit an 18 wheeler trailer. All of this doesnt make sense.
Re: Nigerians Are Cowards (Half Of A Yellow Sun Casting) by tpia5: 10:48am On Feb 09, 2012
Will smith is a crossover actor ie he caters to both a black and white audience.

He plays roles which are typically reserved for white or non-black actors only, and so far he's been able to pull it off.

However, there arent too many black actors like him.

Also, how he was able to successfully do so and break into that mold, is yet to be determined. His backing, etc.
Re: Nigerians Are Cowards (Half Of A Yellow Sun Casting) by tpia5: 10:50am On Feb 09, 2012
In addition, is all the cursing really necessary, geez.

Its just a movie being discussed- why getting so emotional.
Re: Nigerians Are Cowards (Half Of A Yellow Sun Casting) by babyboy3(m): 11:47am On Feb 09, 2012
In addition, is all the cursing really necessary, geez.

Its just a movie being discussed- why getting so emotional.

Your Spot on!!!
Re: Nigerians Are Cowards (Half Of A Yellow Sun Casting) by coogar: 3:27pm On Feb 09, 2012
ThiefOfHearts:

*claps* cap28 is back. yay!  grin

thread is back on track.  smiley

Will Smith is a BS actor actually but I know you fanboys wont agree.

Denzel has pretty good range, Samuel is half and half. Both are talented however.

but that is not the point.
cockcap28 said black actors get only stereotypical roles in hollywood and i flashed will smith as one black actor who has done men in black, wild wild west, enemy of the state, etc.
Re: Nigerians Are Cowards (Half Of A Yellow Sun Casting) by babyboy3(m): 3:48pm On Feb 09, 2012
but that is not the point.
cockcap28 said black actors get only stereotypical roles in hollywood and i flashed will smith as one black actor who has done men in black, wild wild west, enemy of the state, etc.

I saw the statement this morning and I thought of a phrase that had 2 words in it ( Missing and Village)
Re: Nigerians Are Cowards (Half Of A Yellow Sun Casting) by vescucci(m): 5:53pm On Feb 09, 2012
Wow. The thread has totally been derailed sha.

Flashback: Some people decided to make a movie based on one Naija woman's book. They consulted her (as they must have) and she gave her blessings and washed her hands off any involvement (probably after having been paid a lot or just being content with having her book adapted) in the movie. The movie makers (including a supposed Nigerian director who I believe is there for a reason) decide to cast Thandie Newton to play one Olanna. This decision has caused an uproar and kneejerk accusations. And THIS is the bone of contention.

My position is that we're well within our rights to be dismayed. But there's a limit to our consternation because we have no say at all in what is a business strategy. The movie is not being made solely for the Nigerian audience. In fact, I'm sure the director was chosen as some sort of a placating move and he himself probably does no have as much say as we all assume he does. He probably had nothing to do with the casting.

I have not read this book and I dunno how much Olanna's physique has to do with the Biafran war or the story but I'm sure this is not the first time an adaptation is tweaked for commercial reasons. Bottom line, this is all not worth foaming at the mouth. Period.
Re: Nigerians Are Cowards (Half Of A Yellow Sun Casting) by ThiefOfHearts(f): 6:54pm On Feb 09, 2012
baby-boy:

Yoruba movie copied Tyler Perry's Dairy of a Black woman acted by Saidi Balogun!!!! it was disgusting

who gives a shyt? what does that have to do with the price of tea in China?
Re: Nigerians Are Cowards (Half Of A Yellow Sun Casting) by ThiefOfHearts(f): 6:57pm On Feb 09, 2012
vescucci:

Bottom line, this is all not worth foaming at the mouth. Period.

why are you still here?
Re: Nigerians Are Cowards (Half Of A Yellow Sun Casting) by omar22(m): 7:26pm On Feb 09, 2012
Bottom line, this is all not worth foaming at the mouth. Period.

Theirs a lot of them here,
Re: Nigerians Are Cowards (Half Of A Yellow Sun Casting) by vescucci(m): 7:32pm On Feb 09, 2012
ThiefOfHearts:

why are you still here?

Ok, ok, I'm leaving ma
Re: Nigerians Are Cowards (Half Of A Yellow Sun Casting) by cheikh: 9:44pm On Feb 09, 2012
Nnenna1
I'm talking about the incompetent movie crew and marketers. Even old-time movies such as Glamour Girls, True Confession, Rattle Snake, Out of Bounds, etc will show how the quality of direction and story has declined over the years, despite the upsurge in digital video technology and increase in numbers of actors and celebrities.

@^^Well, that's the Nigerian national story grin grin. One step forward and three steps backwards. sad.

Seeing as the movie industry is standalone, can't some individuals raise funds to buy real movie equipment and film editing studios [/b]that well-meaning producers can rent? How about scholarships for aspiring producers/directors to film schools in India or Asia or gigs in Bollywood,

@^^ Some individuals have done the above but it's very insignificant or not enough. Like most things in Nigeria, [b]Greed
or small mindedness, visionless, politics and lack of [b]adequate technical [/b]awareness goes a long way in undermining good intentions of a very tiny few. Our relatively young country is not yet a nation, hence we do not fully understand the nuances underpinning such an industry and her importance in national reconstruction/affirmation. There's no proactive national policy or interest for the movie industry like in other places. It's not OIL sad. The infrastructure in Nigeria is non existent and very dire. Constant power failure damages equipment cheesy. It's no fun hence mediocrity is second nature to most Nigerians.
Re: Nigerians Are Cowards (Half Of A Yellow Sun Casting) by AmuIgwe: 3:11pm On Feb 10, 2012
You guys are still on here glorifying a pointless thread by a slow, tore-up broad that sabotages her own half witted arguments? Seriously, the airhead can barely follow simple logic, and actually thinks that "field slaves" love white people. Isn't this confused self-hating mor0n supposed to be Ghanaian now anyhow? Smh. If DunceOfHearts isn't the strongest breathing argument for late-term abortion, I don't know what is.

It's always the laziest, dullest and insecure haters that sit around whining about what productive people are doing with their lives. Take a quick look at Nigeria, and it doesn't take a genius to identify the undesirable elements hampering progress. The loud and dirty monkeys keep leeching on, and embarrassing the rest:
Re: Nigerians Are Cowards (Half Of A Yellow Sun Casting) by VillageBoi(m): 4:03pm On Feb 10, 2012
Round of applause for eferibodi wey enta this thread,

We Nigerians too make noise but zero action! If you want ya local mbeke in a film,  put ya moni where ya mouth dey,  If not please zip ya teeth!!

If the producers want to scoop up fresh, steaming dawg poo from pavement and give it a role,  they CAN do so!

I don dey talk am for years; 'Nollywood' filmmakers, producers or whanteva dem call themselves are a bunch of useless e-diots. When will they learn? From time Naija dey full of amazing literary works, have they done anything with our amazing books? NO!!

We can hala all we like BUT on the good side we go reach a high level one day,  that day just ain't today!

So instead of us arguing over 'role should be given to okporoko or mbeke'; shouldn't we ask what are WE actually doing for 'Nigerian' filmmaking??

Empty vessels can continue to make the most noise but for 'moi' I will definitely learn more & play my part in trying to raise the Nigerian bar higher - https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-866173.0.html#msg10151012
Re: Nigerians Are Cowards (Half Of A Yellow Sun Casting) by AmuIgwe: 4:32pm On Feb 10, 2012
VillageBoi:

Round of applause for eferibodi wey enta this thread,

We Nigerians too make noise but zero action! If you want ya local mbeke in a film,  put ya moni where ya mouth dey,  If not please zip ya teeth!!

If the producers want to scoop up fresh, steaming dawg poo from pavement and give it a role,  they CAN do so!

I don dey talk am for years; 'Nollywood' filmmakers, producers or whanteva dem call themselves are a bunch of useless e-diots. When will they learn? From time Naija dey full of amazing literary works, have they done anything with our amazing books? NO!!

We can hala all we like BUT on the good side we go reach a high level one day,  that day just ain't today!

So instead of us arguing over 'role should be given to okporoko or mbeke'; shouldn't we ask what are WE actually doing for 'Nigerian' filmmaking??

Empty vessels can continue to make the most noise but for 'moi' I will definitely learn more & play my part in trying to raise the Nigerian bar higher - https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-866173.0.html#msg10151012

Exactly. People are working, others are whining. One day, the chaff will be shred from the wheat and we will move forward. I enjoyed your short clip, VillageBoi -- keep it up! Pretty talent on there also.
Re: Nigerians Are Cowards (Half Of A Yellow Sun Casting) by ThiefOfHearts(f): 4:36pm On Feb 10, 2012
Amugo, your mother failed by not taking RU-486

Dont take your frustrations out on me foir her own mistake. Bloody phaggot grin

See how everyone else is giving their views on the situation, while you being the typical emotional naa phaggot, feels the need to insult me instead ofjust stating your views ON THE TOPIC and getting the hell out.

why are you still here? If the discussion is pointless, the hell are you still here for? Get a damn job if you have nothing better to do. yahooze oshi.
Re: Nigerians Are Cowards (Half Of A Yellow Sun Casting) by VillageBoi(m): 5:10pm On Feb 10, 2012
Amu Igwe:

Exactly. People are working, others are whining. One day, the chaff will be shred from the wheat and we will move forward. I enjoyed your short clip, VillageBoi -- keep it up! Pretty talent on there also.

True and that day can't come soon enough. There has been a slight shift in some parts of 'Nollywood' (better camera equipment being used) but the problem simply remains the 'scriptwriting',  The simple fact is 'Story' is king! Bad writing can NEVER be made into a good film.

Amu Igwe, I'm glad you liked my short film. For me it's a start; I used to yab Nigerian films anyhow without doing anything about it.
Re: Nigerians Are Cowards (Half Of A Yellow Sun Casting) by ThiefOfHearts(f): 5:14pm On Feb 10, 2012
VillageBoi:

True and that day can't come soon enough. There has been a slight shift in some parts of 'Nollywood' (better camera equipment being used) but the problem simply remains the 'scriptwriting',  The simple fact is 'Story' is king! Bad writing can NEVER be made into a good film.

Agreed.
Re: Nigerians Are Cowards (Half Of A Yellow Sun Casting) by VillageBoi(m): 5:20pm On Feb 10, 2012
ThiefOfHearts:

Agreed. 

Thank you!!

Now please be a good girl and go and watch my short film  wink lol (oh and it's free)
Re: Nigerians Are Cowards (Half Of A Yellow Sun Casting) by ThiefOfHearts(f): 5:50pm On Feb 10, 2012
good girl wetin? aint nothing good girl about me but since you're nice, I watched it. grin

Excellent job Village Boi.

I really enjoyed it. I will say in some parts the music was abit too loud and distracting. Plus that your orange juice looked more like fanta tongue

Is this something you're hoping will get bigger or is it a hobby you just do on the side, testing your limits smiley
Re: Nigerians Are Cowards (Half Of A Yellow Sun Casting) by VillageBoi(m): 6:02pm On Feb 10, 2012
ThiefOfHearts:

good girl wetin? aint nothing good girl about me but since you're nice, I watched it.  grin

Excellent job Village Boi.

I really enjoyed it. I will say in some parts the music was abit too loud and distracting. Plus that your orange juice looked more like fanta  tongue

Is this something you're hoping will get bigger or is it a hobby you just do on the side, testing your limits  smiley

Oh I said 'good girl'? Na slip of tongue  wink

Thank you so very much for watching it. Hahahaha the orange juice is 'Fanta', but we couldn't 'say' that as per 'product placement' nor show the beer was Guilder. I'm really hoping it's something that will get better; I'm making my mistakes now & testing my limits on short films so I'll be good enough to make amazing Nigerian feature films.

Your point about the music is duly noted. I kind of had to go that way to cover up the 'sin' that was our dialogue audio; the sound guy seriously messed up. Having said that; I directed and ultimately the blame lies with me,  so no excuses. It's a mistake I hope never to repeat.

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Are Cowards (Half Of A Yellow Sun Casting) by ThiefOfHearts(f): 6:08pm On Feb 10, 2012
I wish you well in your endeavor then since you actually want to help the industry eventually.

if they comes a time that donations needed (it will happen), I'll help and so would many of us who wants a change in the Nollywood scene.
Re: Nigerians Are Cowards (Half Of A Yellow Sun Casting) by VillageBoi(m): 6:19pm On Feb 10, 2012
ThiefOfHearts:

I wish you well in your endeavor then since you actually want to help the industry eventually.

if they comes a time that donations needed (it will happen), I'll help and so would many of us who wants a change in the Nollywood scene.

Thank you very much; I really appreciate the vote of confidence in me.

Seriously I used to be so mouthy when it came to Nigerian films because I didn't like them at all. Then I decided I was going to study film. The new me does not yab any film because I know how hard it is to make something 'good'.

I think once we move away from our 'kpa, kpa, kpa filmmaking ethics, our laziness as filmmakers,  and figure out how to write 'well', there is no reason Nigerian films shouldn't be clearing major awards worldwide. Oyinbo no be dragon wey get two heads; we get brain and are blessed with amazing colour, culture, exotic locations, fantastic traditions,  we have everything to sell a Nigeria the world has not yet seen!!

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Are Cowards (Half Of A Yellow Sun Casting) by lolalola: 10:46am On Feb 12, 2012
I am against this casting 1000% THANDIE NEWTON SHOULD NOT BE PLAYING THIS CHARACTER!!!!!!!!! angry angry

When are black people, black women going to have something for themselves, this film like many black films will be supported and pushed by black women, for us to be once again excluded from it.

There are a number of actresses who I would prefer over Thandie Newton and they don't have to be Nigerian, Naomie Harris, Kerry Washington, Yaya Dacosta or even get an unknown, it worked for the film The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo the original film, that was brilliant. This is a typical Thandie character and I think we need someone new and someone black.

I think this film should be boycotted out of principle alone by bw regardless if you respect the writer, we need to send a clear message that we will not be used and dumped. Tyler Perry makes big money from Bw majority watching his films, we deserve to be represented and this will continue to happen if we do not send a loud and clear message that WE WILL NOT SUPPORT FILMS WHICH EXCLUDE BW or the women who have supported these people's careers in the case of Perry and say NO MORE OF THIS NONSENSE. angry angry
Re: Nigerians Are Cowards (Half Of A Yellow Sun Casting) by omar22(m): 1:58pm On Feb 12, 2012
When are black people, black women going to have something for themselves, this film like many black films will be supported and pushed by black women, for us to be once again excluded from it.

I dont know what talking about!!! This film is been financed and produced by a UK firm,

I think this film should be boycotted out of principle alone by bw regardless if you respect the writer, we need to send a clear message that we will not be used and dumped.

Do you honestly believe the production company would loose any sleep because you want to boycott? go and check the demographic of the population to attends the cinema! if its not Pirate we are not interested!
Re: Nigerians Are Cowards (Half Of A Yellow Sun Casting) by lolalola: 7:15pm On Feb 12, 2012
I dislike how people are extremely ignorant about film and it's paying customers/audiences.

Tyler Perry makes most of his money from black people, black women were the ones supporting his career when he was producing his theater plays, they were also the ones who were attending the movie Red Tails the majority, one black person who went to the cinema to watch Red Tails said he saw a 60% bw audience 20% bm audience and the rest. A film which left bw out of it.

You have no idea about the demographic of people who watch certain type of films. Black women made Tyler Perry the richest producer in Hollywood last year, I know white people who don't even know who he is let alone watched one of his films. Black people are more inclined to watch films with black people in them then white people. I'm sure a film like this will cross over to a multi-cutural audiences because it's about war, but do not sniff at a demographic of people who have the spending power to add to a films success and the money it could possibly take in. This is why black people get used because they do not know about simple things. Bw should boycott this movie and not add one dime to this movies income.
Re: Nigerians Are Cowards (Half Of A Yellow Sun Casting) by Nobody: 7:19pm On Feb 12, 2012
^^^
Evidences,please.

(1) (2) (3) ... (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) (Reply)

Top 10 Nollywood Movies You Watched In 2014 / 33years Later: Do You Remember These People? / Mike Ezuruonye Rocks Bald Hair In 'Our Landlord' Movie (Video, Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 98
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.