Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,360 members, 7,800,730 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 04:05 AM

Nigerians Are Cowards (Half Of A Yellow Sun Casting) - TV/Movies (18) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Nigerians Are Cowards (Half Of A Yellow Sun Casting) (43264 Views)

My Experience Of "Half Of A Yellow Sun" At The Cinema / Half Of A Yellow Sun Confirmed As Nollywood’s Most Expensive Movie / Genevieve Nnaji's Scenes Cut Out Of Half Of A Yellow Sun (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (15) (16) (17) (18) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerians Are Cowards (Half Of A Yellow Sun Casting) by tpia5: 9:06pm On Jan 27, 2013
is it out at all?
Re: Nigerians Are Cowards (Half Of A Yellow Sun Casting) by tpia5: 9:09pm On Jan 27, 2013
what's the name of the movie because its not even listed on her filmography:

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/celebrity/thandie_newton_c/
Re: Nigerians Are Cowards (Half Of A Yellow Sun Casting) by VillageBoi(m): 9:23pm On Jan 27, 2013
tpia@:
what's the name of the movie because its not even listed on her filmography:
http://www.rottentomatoes.com/celebrity/thandie_newton_c/

Seriously Rotten Tomatoes is not the best site for checking such information. You have not heard of IMDB? It's nearly always current.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0628601/
Re: Nigerians Are Cowards (Half Of A Yellow Sun Casting) by dollydolly(f): 2:50pm On Jan 28, 2013
I really do not think that it is compulsory to use Nigerian casts since the movie is nt sponsored by Nigerians. It is up to the producers of the movie to decide what cast to use.
Re: Nigerians Are Cowards (Half Of A Yellow Sun Casting) by Nobody: 1:31pm On Jan 29, 2013
dolly dolly: I really do not think that it is compulsory to use Nigerian casts since the movie is nt sponsored by Nigerians. It is up to the producers of the movie to decide what cast to use.
Don't tell that to some short-sighted Nigerians. They will scold you for saying the truth.
Re: Nigerians Are Cowards (Half Of A Yellow Sun Casting) by Nuzo1(m): 8:27am On Jan 30, 2013
Wonderful debate going on here.

Like somebody rightly said, there's never been a book that has fully been adapted into a movie accrdingly aside from Rowlings's Harry Potter.

Sometimes it fails utterly when books are fully adapted into a movie, most times its being changed for a commercial success. Why then should we expect the producers of Half of a yellow sun to gamble?

Along the line, I missed the point of the debate. I thought the debate was more about Thandle's skin colour and not her ethnicity.
Methinks It would have made more sense to have a darker lady play Olanna irrespective of her ethnicity or nationality. Kerry Washinghton or Megan Good would have been good for the role.

Did I hear someone mention Oge Okoye and Rita Domnic? Aside from the horrible acting skills and bad diction, their skin colour still doesn't suit Olanna's character.

By the way, Regina Askia, Lilian Bach, Nadia Buari, Carol Ekanem and Fiberisina may be very good people in real life but very horrible actresses in the screem. Very horrible!
Re: Nigerians Are Cowards (Half Of A Yellow Sun Casting) by omar22(m): 10:53am On Jan 30, 2013
Nuzo':

Like somebody rightly said, there's never been a book that has fully been adapted into a movie accrdingly aside from Rowlings's Harry Potter.

Sometimes it fails utterly when books are fully adapted into a movie, most times its being changed for a commercial success. Why then should we expect the producers of Half of a yellow sun to gamble?

Along the line, I missed the point of the debate. I thought the debate was more about Thandle's skin colour and not her ethnicity.
Methinks It would have made more sense to have a darker lady play Olanna irrespective of her ethnicity or nationality. Kerry Washinghton or Megan Good would have been good for the role.

Did I hear someone mention Oge Okoye and Rita Domnic? Aside from the horrible acting skills and bad diction, their skin colour still doesn't suit Olanna's character.

By the way, Regina Askia, Lilian Bach, Nadia Buari, Carol Ekanem and Fiberisina may be very good people in real life but very horrible actresses in the screem. Very horrible!

Megan Good has never stepped out of her comfort zone, asking her to act the role of a Nigerian is a car crash waiting to happen
Re: Nigerians Are Cowards (Half Of A Yellow Sun Casting) by babyboy3(m): 5:05pm On May 06, 2013
A.Chigozie:
[size=18pt]I signed the petition demanding that Thandie NOT be cast as Olanna, Thandie has no business playing that role, she is clearly reaping the benefits of her mixed ancestry.  Such an ancestry is very valuable in a white supremacist world.  I don't see why an Igbo actress or an non-Igbo actress with beautiful brown skinned couldn't be cast as the lead. 

If the character was biracial, would a brown-skinned woman be cast in such a role? NO, she would not. 
[/size]

I wonder how far this petition got?
Re: Nigerians Are Cowards (Half Of A Yellow Sun Casting) by VillageBoi(m): 5:29pm On May 06, 2013
baby-boy:

I wonder how far this petition got?

Weren't they told from the start that it was a most ridiculous exercise that was NEVER EVER going to go anywhere? Next time they should stop being the regular mouth-only Naija persins and make their own movie HOW they WANT... simples!
Re: Nigerians Are Cowards (Half Of A Yellow Sun Casting) by Tonylyte(m): 10:31am On May 11, 2013
Adetayo100: Nollywood is a complete waste of time

y did u say dat?
Re: Nigerians Are Cowards (Half Of A Yellow Sun Casting) by ThiefOfHearts(f): 5:46pm On May 13, 2013
I see my thread is still alive and kicking grin
Re: Nigerians Are Cowards (Half Of A Yellow Sun Casting) by ThiefOfHearts(f): 5:48pm On May 13, 2013
Nuzo':

Kerry Washington, Megan Good

when there's Dakore Egbuson? What makes them better than her? ESPECIALLY Megan Good?

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Are Cowards (Half Of A Yellow Sun Casting) by babyboy3(m): 11:44pm On May 13, 2013
ThiefOfHearts:

when there's Dakore Egbuson? What makes them better than her? ESPECIALLY Megan Good?

Trying to compare this acting

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w9Ej-JaQjEY

to

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hrWwYYxH2Dw

Is making laugh chinese!!! grin grin grin grin
Re: Nigerians Are Cowards (Half Of A Yellow Sun Casting) by Mikel276: 12:14am On May 14, 2013
This is a movie thats gonna be shown in europe and American cinema's and some people want nollywood actresses cast in lead roles,Thandie is good actress with popularity and box office appeal ,so her casting is not a wrong decision.On the other hand Sophie Okonedo would have been a good option too,
Re: Nigerians Are Cowards (Half Of A Yellow Sun Casting) by Nuzo1(m): 7:48am On May 14, 2013
ThiefOfHearts:

A predictable actor is not a good actor. Most guys in Nollywood fall into this category.

You already know how they will cry, twist their mouths, scold and even sound. Some will even wear their wedding ring while playing a single lady in some movies. grin

Besides, its a private project and the producer/Director is gunning for international exposure which will likely translate to fame and money.

Dakore as Olanna can't give him that.
Re: Nigerians Are Cowards (Half Of A Yellow Sun Casting) by ThiefOfHearts(f): 5:46pm On May 14, 2013
Nuzo':

Besides, its a private project and the producer/Director is gunning for international exposure which will likely translate to fame and money.

Dakore as Olanna can't give him that.

You obviously know nothing about Dakore. There's nothing predictable about her acting. Just because you hate Nigerian women doenst mean you need to make up hogwash about her

The international exposure will be coming from Chiwetel. How hard is that to comprehend?

Who provided the "International" exposure for Totsi? Slumdog Millionaire?

megan good ko. Megan bad ni. Her show is actually cancelled. So much for her "great" acting.
Re: Nigerians Are Cowards (Half Of A Yellow Sun Casting) by ThiefOfHearts(f): 5:49pm On May 14, 2013
Mikel276: This is a movie thats gonna be shown in europe and American cinema's and some people want nollywood actresses cast in lead roles,

The movie is about a time period in Nigeria's history, you dont think it makes sense to cast Nigerians?

Do you people think at all?

Why not tell them to hire Tom Hanks to play Fela in the upcoming bio since it will be in oyibo cinema?
Re: Nigerians Are Cowards (Half Of A Yellow Sun Casting) by Nuzo1(m): 10:24pm On May 14, 2013
ThiefOfHearts:

You obviously know nothing about Dakore. There's nothing predictable about her acting. Just because you hate Nigerian women doenst mean you need to make up hogwash about her

The international exposure will be coming from Chiwetel. How hard is that to comprehend?

Who provided the "International" exposure for Totsi? Slumdog Millionaire?

megan good ko. Megan bad ni. Her show is actually cancelled. So much for her "great" acting.

I actually wanted to clarify my claims in full details until I saw where you were trying to play victim for reasons best known to you. "Just because yu hate Nigerian women..."

I don't dabble into stuff like this.

Carry go. You win join. kiss
Re: Nigerians Are Cowards (Half Of A Yellow Sun Casting) by babyboy3(m): 1:53pm On May 15, 2013
Nuzo':

I actually wanted to clarify my claims in full details until I saw where you were trying to play victim for reasons best known to you. "Just because yu hate Nigerian women..."

I don't dabble into stuff like this.

Carry go. You win join. kiss

Ha ha ha ha
Re: Nigerians Are Cowards (Half Of A Yellow Sun Casting) by ThiefOfHearts(f): 3:41pm On May 15, 2013
Nuzo':

You win join. kiss

Ive won as usual smiley
Re: Nigerians Are Cowards (Half Of A Yellow Sun Casting) by Mikel276: 1:04pm On May 16, 2013
ThiefOfHearts:

The movie is about a time period in Nigeria's history, you dont think it makes sense to cast Nigerians?

Do you people think at all?
In case you don't know, casting directors choose actors based on suitability for the role and ofcourse box office appeal cos the film industry is not just art, it is also a million dollar industry,things like the nationality of the actor are not considered important.
Why not tell them to hire Tom Hanks to play Fela in the upcoming bio since it will be in oyibo cinema?
Re: Nigerians Are Cowards (Half Of A Yellow Sun Casting) by ThiefOfHearts(f): 4:28pm On May 16, 2013
Um what?
Re: Nigerians Are Cowards (Half Of A Yellow Sun Casting) by ThiefOfHearts(f): 12:04am On Jul 24, 2013
Trailer is finally out

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5wF4wU6HuUk

Fine it hard to believe this is supposed to be a movie based on Nigeria/Nigerians

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Are Cowards (Half Of A Yellow Sun Casting) by Afam4eva(m): 12:06am On Jul 24, 2013

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Are Cowards (Half Of A Yellow Sun Casting) by Nobody: 2:12pm On Jul 26, 2013
ThiefOfHearts:
Who provided the "International" exposure for Totsi? Slumdog Millionaire.

smiley A better example should be District 9; with not a single well known actor (not even within Africa!), yet was a huge box office success. Whąt sells a movie before anyother thing IMO is the marketing (or hype) and distribution! Then the story.....then 'great acting'....then the stars.

Btw, I've never had any probs with the casting of the movie anyway (well, till I watch the movie)
Re: Nigerians Are Cowards (Half Of A Yellow Sun Casting) by omar22(m): 2:45pm On Jul 26, 2013
ThiefOfHearts: Trailer is finally out

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5wF4wU6HuUk

Fine it hard to believe this is supposed to be a movie based on Nigeria/Nigerians

You dont have to watch it. No one is putting a gun to your head forcing you to pay to watch the movie. But after all your rant, whine and moan over the last 12 months and you still went ahead and watch the movie then you are a hypocrite.
Re: Nigerians Are Cowards (Half Of A Yellow Sun Casting) by ThiefOfHearts(f): 9:54pm On Dec 29, 2016
omar22:

You dont have to watch it. No one is putting a gun to your head forcing you to pay to watch the movie. But after all your rant, whine and moan over the last 12 months and you still went ahead and watch the movie then you are a hypocrite.

I never did. The movie failed anyway LOL

despite all the English and Thandie grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

Happy New Year!

(1) (2) (3) ... (15) (16) (17) (18) (Reply)

Top 10 Nollywood Movies You Watched In 2014 / 33years Later: Do You Remember These People? / Mike Ezuruonye Rocks Bald Hair In 'Our Landlord' Movie (Video, Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.