Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,289 members, 7,807,979 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 01:00 AM

Sanusi Links Boko Haram To "oil Derivation". - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Sanusi Links Boko Haram To "oil Derivation". (19802 Views)

Stop Giving 13% Oil Derivation To Governors, Ndigbo Group Tells FG / Borno Gov To Buhari: Give N/east 13% Oil Derivation / US Intelligence Sources Links Boko Haram With Al-Qaeda. Terror! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Sanusi Links Boko Haram To "oil Derivation". by edoyad(m): 9:48am On Jan 28, 2012
Sanusi Lamido Sanusi, CBN Governor
By Yemi Adebowale, with agency reports, and Ahamefula Ogbu

Attempts to redress historic grievances in Nigeria’s oil-rich south may inadvertently have helped create the conditions for the Islamic insurgency spreading from the impoverished north-east of the country, so says Sanusi Lamido Sanusi, Governor of the Central Bank of Nigeria.
A revenue sharing formula that gave 13 percent derivation to the oil-producing states was introduced after the military relinquished power in 1999 among a series of measures aimed at redressing historic grievances among those living closest to the oil and quelling a conflict that was jeopardising output.
But Sanusi who spoke in an interview with the Financial Times Friday said: "There is clearly a direct link between the very uneven nature of distribution of resources and the rising level of violence."
He said that it was now necessary to focus funds on regenerating other regions if Nigeria wants to secure long-term stability.
"When you look at the figures and look at the size of the population in the north, you can see that there is a structural imbalance of enormous proportions. Those states simply do not have enough money to meet basic needs while some states have too much money.
"The imbalance is so stark because the state still depends on oil for more than 80 per cent of its revenues," said Sanusi.
The FT, in a further analysis of the issue yesterday, wrote: "Nigeria has made little headway raising taxes for example from agriculture, which accounts for 42 per cent of GDP. Northern Nigeria’s economy has traditionally depended on the government more than the south. Many of the industries set up as part of earlier efforts to promote national balance have gone bust or been sold off during a decade of liberal market reforms, power shortages and infrastructure collapse.
"According to official figures, the leading oil producing state, Rivers, received N1,053 billion between 1999 and 2008 in federal allocations. By contrast the North-eastern states of Yobe and Borno, where the Boko Haram sect was created, received N175bn and N213bn respectively. Broken down on a per capita basis, the contrast is even starker. In 2008 the 18.97m people who lived in the six states in the north-east received on average N1,156 per person.
"By contrast Rivers state was allocated N3,965 per capita, and on average the oil producing South- South region received on average N3,332 per capita. This imbalance is compounded when the cost of an amnesty programme for militants in the delta is included together with an additional 1 per cent for a special development body for the Niger Delta. To boot, the theft of oil by profiteers in the region diverts tens of millions more weekly from federal coffers."
In the past year, the extremist Boko Haram sect has been responsible for proliferating attacks on churches, police stations and other state targets. Just last week, it claimed responsibility for multiple bomb blasts that claimed nearly 200 lives in Kano. The size and sophistication of the attacks underlined fears that the conflict is spiralling out of control.
. . .
From Naija Observer.

Really Mr.?
Re: Sanusi Links Boko Haram To "oil Derivation". by edoyad(m): 9:52am On Jan 28, 2012

My peoplem

When a lie is repeated often without being checked, it begins to look like the truth. Who told this Sanusi Lamido Sanusi that the North East of Nigeria is more populous than any other comparable part of Nigeria? His political group make a genuine census impossible and turned the politics of census into the politics of Nigeria. He cannot rely on his own figures that they made impossible for others to accept as the basis for Boko Haram.

Secondly, where is corruption in the equation and what part did the people of the North East and their elite play in that corruption? Is that not the part of Nigeria where a Governor kept 150 brand new jeeps in a compound and said he was a collector of jeeps? This Sanusi Lamido Sanusi must think that the publishers of Financial Times are as foolish as his fellow Nigerian elite who fail to tell themselves the truth and who lie to each other and think that the whole wide world is as stupid as they are.

Thirdly, when will he from Kano band his fellow Borno-Adamawa elite admit that they are the ones who are at fault. They are the ones who failed their people and failed Nigeria and they are the ones who go about bandying false theories and precepts. When 3 motor assembly plants were set up in Nigeria Volkswagen was in Lagos our friend at the Pan African University Pat Utomi ruined that one after he grabbed it under the PDP working for Shehu Shagari and ruined it. PAN - Peugeot Automobile was established in Kaduna and that one continues to gulp subsidies and state aids and yet is not profitable, and ANNAMCO - Anambra State Motor Company with Mercedes Benz was set up in the East and today it is producing luxurious buses and it is profitable.

I am sure in that example lies the derivation theory of Sanusi Lamido Sanusi. A derivation of laziness, a derivation of greed and corruption, and a derivation of lack of investment in your own people and in your own area. Begrudging those whose oil has been stolen and whose lands have been destroyed does not cut it. It is lazy mental exercise and Mister Governor of Central Bank of Nigeria, we need more rigour and more truth from you you.

Cheers.

Ibukunolu Alao Babajide (IBK)

1 Like

Re: Sanusi Links Boko Haram To "oil Derivation". by edoyad(m): 9:59am On Jan 28, 2012
Some comments

Comments (4)
Read other user's comments about this page. You can add your own comments below.

Linking Boko Haram's insurgency to derivation is an oxymoron. It is not at all surprising that this is all Sanusi can offer as an explanation of the rise of the Boko Haram. So what is the reason for the rise of Islamic insurgency every other place in the world and the continued plots to attack Western interests in the US, Europe and in many Maghreb nations in Africa? It is reasoning like this that makes some think the elite in the north know more than they are revealing.
Posted: 1 hour ago
Flag as inappropriate

What do you mean now? Your statement has a lot of meaning: that is, you sponsored them so that Federal government will give more money to Northern state? or are you saying that the oil producing state should not benefit from the resources? [/b]I think if i'm not making mistake, you are calling for the division of the country in which i agree with you. However, if we still have one Nigeria according to Northern leaders, then you should please step down because you are encouraging this boys to go ahead and kill people.
Flag as inappropriate

Sanusi Lamido has shown his tribal and religious agenda. [b]He did not make reference to the losses from pollutions, accidents and other hazards that ought to be compensated for as they arise from the oil production. The issue of Boko Haram was raise by US intelligence since Abacha regime. The warning was that 'a parallel military was being formed in the North-East part of Nigeria'.
It will be wrong to attribute it to unfair and iniquity share of the oil revenue. Is it the only Northern States that don�t partake equally from the oil revenue? Why are states like Kebbi, Katsina and Sokoto not involved in this jihad? Why are foreigners from Niger Republic and Chad involved?
Flag as inappropriate

My Dear Sanusi, I just can't believe what I am reading but this is the moment of truth for Nigeria. Tell your brothers to move south, adopt the religion and culture of Rivers or Akwa Ibom and prosper there. Are you going to be worshiping the Arab Prophet and Mecca while oil from the south south feeds you? Down south we are worshiping the Jewish Man and the Italian pope while their oil companies rob us blind and they cheat us in international trade. THE BLACK MAN IS DOOMED!!! Tufia! worldly oil money won by infidel Lord Lugard to pacify non-thinking muslims. Doom,doom doom! Araba until each family is a country for the selfish slow black people of Nigeria
Re: Sanusi Links Boko Haram To "oil Derivation". by Nobody: 10:03am On Jan 28, 2012
Why couldn't the north, over the years develop their agricultural resource with their large expanse of land? By now, there would have been diverse agro-allied industries scattered across the region, producing finished products that can be transported down south and exported. If that had happened over the years, the states will have the least unemployment figures as well as the highest aggregate GDP in Nigeria.
Re: Sanusi Links Boko Haram To "oil Derivation". by veron007: 10:10am On Jan 28, 2012
;d ;d ;d

Re: Sanusi Links Boko Haram To "oil Derivation". by zinosleek(m): 10:18am On Jan 28, 2012
For the respect I have for this man, he has undone himself here. The North are the main problem of Nigeria till date, they have been in power for so long and has corruptly rob Nigeria blind to the point that they didn't even develop their region. And whose fault is that, the south?
Re: Sanusi Links Boko Haram To "oil Derivation". by obowunmi(m): 10:19am On Jan 28, 2012
Confirmed Sanusi is a boko-horam agent. Why not blame the muslim terrorist notherners, politicians and elites who robbed their own people blind?
Re: Sanusi Links Boko Haram To "oil Derivation". by BlackPikiN(m): 10:25am On Jan 28, 2012
They are all boko haram supporters.
How dare you share my resources with some bunch of mofos?
After, I give them even chance to take small money, them one con still ask for more.
OLE!
I dont want to curse to Sanusi this morning.
Re: Sanusi Links Boko Haram To "oil Derivation". by Atigba: 10:28am On Jan 28, 2012
I can see that all prominent northerner leaders are afraid to say the truth, probably because they attempt to burn his house in kano,                                              The northerners re poor nt because of the revenue allocated to them but because of there state of mind.                                         As for you sanusi your days are numbered as a CBN governor?Nonsense
Re: Sanusi Links Boko Haram To "oil Derivation". by Eltonluigi(m): 10:30am On Jan 28, 2012
This man just exposed himself as a tribalist by spewing this trash.
Re: Sanusi Links Boko Haram To "oil Derivation". by dayo23(f): 10:35am On Jan 28, 2012
am highly disapointed in u sanusi,despite ur educ background u still speaks lyk an infidel,a coward nd a member of almajiris, so sad dat u of all pple wld speak lyk dis, it only shows d northerner re indirectly pro BH, I only blame dat clueless GEJ who 2 me shld hv seen d handwritin on d wall, we need SNC, so evry region cn go there way. We shld divide ooooo

1 Like

Re: Sanusi Links Boko Haram To "oil Derivation". by hero70(m): 10:36am On Jan 28, 2012
It was the riches from the north that was used to exploit the oil resouces in the south,so why the imbalance in allocations,that's to show the greed of this people,and after all we are all Nigerians.
Re: Sanusi Links Boko Haram To "oil Derivation". by Gentleboby: 10:38am On Jan 28, 2012
I don't blame our leader I blame others country that buy Nigeria oil if not what would make these people reason well ?
Now this is the time to loose more and more when Yorubas arrive to the position of oil Derivation.

No Yoruba  No Nigeria

1 Like

Re: Sanusi Links Boko Haram To "oil Derivation". by shoboy9: 10:39am On Jan 28, 2012
Hmmm, I wonder if he's been checked for ties to fundamentalists. oh wait, isn't he the same guy that advocated islamic banking? How can he not be a symphatiser/supporter of such groups?
Re: Sanusi Links Boko Haram To "oil Derivation". by Ojobojo1(m): 10:40am On Jan 28, 2012
This guy is a goat,in the first place y should the north be given what they did not work for,they should beta start farming or else theyll suffer when nigeria is divided.

1 Like

Re: Sanusi Links Boko Haram To "oil Derivation". by Aboluwarin: 10:47am On Jan 28, 2012
With this statement from sanusi Lamido, this is the hidden agenda behind his Islamic banking, there is no doubt.
Re: Sanusi Links Boko Haram To "oil Derivation". by deathmen12: 10:48am On Jan 28, 2012
THIS GUYS ARE WICKED, NO CONCHIES  SO THEY ARE ALL THIS SAME PEOPLE ANIMALS. I DON'T WANT TALK MUCH BECAUSE AM STILL ANGRY BY WHAT THAT VAMPIRE CALL IBB SPEAK OUT OF HIS MOUTH, WELL GOD NOR THEY SLEEP, I WISH IT IS THE NORTH THAT OWNS THE OIL I NO WHAT THEY WOULD'VE DONE TO THE SOUTH AND THE EAST.
Re: Sanusi Links Boko Haram To "oil Derivation". by Nobody: 10:49am On Jan 28, 2012
@boko haram bingo
LWkMD
Seriously, i think Sanusi has lost it. His attempt to link the emergence of boko haram to derivation is not only weak but lame. A man of his learning ought to know that whatever the Niger Deltans get as derivation fund can never be enough to compensate the grave environmental damage the region suffers as a direct result of the oil drilling activities going on there.
May be if he and his boko haram friends channel their energy towards developing agriculture which is the main stay of the economy of the north, the region would be better for it.
Re: Sanusi Links Boko Haram To "oil Derivation". by Maximip(m): 10:51am On Jan 28, 2012
Gradually, all the pieces are falling into place for Nigeria's separation. Although I don't support the

massive amounts given to the south-south (for them to loot), I would have preferred he blamed corruption.
Re: Sanusi Links Boko Haram To "oil Derivation". by Nobody: 10:52am On Jan 28, 2012
Nice one Sanusi,

At least you have told these lilly livered southerners that your people would not allow disintegration without a fight. They should stop dreaming of SNC and fight for it, expecially our noisy brothers from the ss.
Re: Sanusi Links Boko Haram To "oil Derivation". by Nobody: 10:54am On Jan 28, 2012
And what happens to the NORTH if by chance Nigeria is divided between North and South or better still into Far North,Middle belt,SW,SE and SS? Of course that means no revenue will go to the North.These guys should start thinking with their brains like Japan and Israel without much natural resourses.Bunch of lazy idio-ts with a mindset to steal from the Government
Re: Sanusi Links Boko Haram To "oil Derivation". by LewsTherin: 10:55am On Jan 28, 2012
Retrieving Quote,
hero70:
_SMF-BREAK_It was the riches from the north that was used to exploit the oil resouces in the south,so why the imbalance in allocations,that's to show the greed of this people,and after all we are all Nigerians. _SMF-BREAK_
What bloody northern resources developed the oil industry? The North has been a plague on this country because of their leaders. A plague, leach, tick, stumbling block!

2 Likes

Re: Sanusi Links Boko Haram To "oil Derivation". by efisher(m): 10:55am On Jan 28, 2012
My points:
1. We do not know our true population figures and the distribution thereof.
2. Every part of Nigeria has abundant resources and production potential enough to allow for self sustenance.
3. Over dependence on oil is a hindrance to the development of other alternative revenue sources.

As for Sanusi, I don't think we should crucify him outrightly. He didn't say the north should be getting more FROM OIL. He only acknowledged that the north is living way below standard based on available information. The reason for this is up for debate but I posit it is largely due to the irresponsibility of past and present Northern leaders who lacked foresight. They refused to develop their own abundant resources while plundering the south of theirs. The situation has even been made worse with vices like the retrogessive almajiri culture which denies their young minds the opportunity to be useful to themselves and their people. They have brought it upon themselves!
Re: Sanusi Links Boko Haram To "oil Derivation". by bitweezy: 10:55am On Jan 28, 2012
Just forget all Sanusi's Economic twist. He is trying to decieve the international community to sympathise with boko haram. The problem with the north in general is their culture. they marry as many wives as they want, give birth to so many children that dey cannot cater for. The reason we have Almajiri's who have become  Boko haram.

There are only a few northerners dat belive in family planning cos they belive it is a western trick to reduce their population which gives them the edge in politics.
Re: Sanusi Links Boko Haram To "oil Derivation". by sheyguy: 10:58am On Jan 28, 2012
Boko haram is a tool which the northern elite are using for their drive to lord it over their wives (south). SLS is only trying to advance the northern agenda further by suggesting their next indecent demand to Nigeria.
Like Oga beaf would say, they shld hold their LGA and state govt responsible instead of this miserable revenue cry. If any change is suppose to come into the revenue allocation formular, it shld be favouring the south south (SS) and no where else. Let yuguda and co. reduce their personal aides from 1000+ to less than 50.
Re: Sanusi Links Boko Haram To "oil Derivation". by omodapson(m): 11:00am On Jan 28, 2012
, and what is SLS still doing in that seat?
Re: Sanusi Links Boko Haram To "oil Derivation". by millionbuc(m): 11:06am On Jan 28, 2012

Sanusi! Sanusi!!, You've tripped urself dis tm. I've always seen it ciming though. cool cool cool

http://www.5slate..com
Re: Sanusi Links Boko Haram To "oil Derivation". by laidback(m): 11:08am On Jan 28, 2012
Where's the link to this story. Let's start from there first,
Re: Sanusi Links Boko Haram To "oil Derivation". by ulnan: 11:11am On Jan 28, 2012
Quote:edoyad:

My peoplem

When a lie is repeated often without being checked, it begins to look like the truth.  Who told this Sanusi Lamido Sanusi that the North East of Nigeria is more populous than any other comparable part of Nigeria?  His political group make a genuine census impossible and turned the politics of census into the politics of Nigeria.  He cannot rely on his own figures that they made impossible for others to accept as the basis for Boko Haram.

Secondly, where is corruption in the equation and what part did the people of the North East and their elite play in that corruption?  Is that not the part of Nigeria where a Governor kept 150 brand new jeeps in a compound and said he was a collector of jeeps?  This Sanusi Lamido Sanusi must think that the publishers of Financial Times are as foolish as his fellow Nigerian elite who fail to tell themselves the truth and who lie to each other and think that the whole wide world is as silly as they are.

Thirdly, when will he from Kano band his fellow Borno-Adamawa elite admit that they are the ones who are at fault.  They are the ones who failed their people and failed Nigeria and they are the ones who go about bandying false theories and precepts.  When 3 motor assembly plants were set up in Nigeria Volkswagen was in Lagos our friend at the Pan African University Pat Utomi ruined that one after he grabbed it under the PDP working for Shehu Shagari and ruined it.  PAN - Peugeot Automobile was established in Kaduna and that one continues to gulp subsidies and state aids and yet is not profitable, and ANNAMCO - Anambra State Motor Company with Mercedes Benz was set up in the East and today it is producing luxurious buses and it is profitable.

I am sure in that example lies the derivation theory of Sanusi Lamido Sanusi.  A derivation of laziness, a derivation of greed and corruption, and a derivation of lack of investment in your own people and in your own area.  Begrudging those whose oil has been stolen and whose lands have been destroyed does not cut it.  It is lazy mental exercise and Mister Governor of Central Bank of Nigeria, we need more rigour and more truth from you you.

Pls tell dis fool who even when he sees the truth does not want to recognised because their mind is poluted by sentiments.lazy and corrupt fools,a lazy farmer puts his blame on his tools.God bless u
Re: Sanusi Links Boko Haram To "oil Derivation". by sheyguy: 11:14am On Jan 28, 2012
Which ever way the fund goes to, be it SS or the north it will always encounter corruption.
Re: Sanusi Links Boko Haram To "oil Derivation". by dozai: 11:14am On Jan 28, 2012
Sanusi Lamido Sanusi. Please i will advice you to send some of ur open minded men to the East. Let them get the manual on how the people pushed themselves to where they re now 42 years after the civil war. Anambra for example. Your ppl are poor becos of the mindset and possibly the way islam is preached there. where u the elites support begging and the rest. Please advice ur ppl to roll their sleeves and get dirty. How do u support polygamy even when the person doesnt have the resources to take care of the children. All the so called almajiris, do they not have parents If u say the north is shortchanged, what do  say of states like Anambra, Enugu. have they taken up arms Your people are lazy, ur religion and your elites also doesnt help the matter. Please leave Oyeel out of it. When groundnut never dey ppl no dey chop goat shit.

Better advice your ppl to look inwards and develop their inner talents. Nnewi ppl in Anambra is doing that and its already spreading to all parts of the state. Very soon that state will start producing virtually everything just like Aba in abia state.
Re: Sanusi Links Boko Haram To "oil Derivation". by destones: 11:16am On Jan 28, 2012
@edoyad:

My peoplem

When a lie is repeated often without being checked, it begins to look like the truth.  Who told this Sanusi Lamido Sanusi that the North East of Nigeria is more populous than any other comparable part of Nigeria?  His political group make a genuine census impossible and turned the politics of census into the politics of Nigeria.  He cannot rely on his own figures that they made impossible for others to accept as the basis for Boko Haram.

Secondly, where is corruption in the equation and what part did the people of the North East and their elite play in that corruption?  Is that not the part of Nigeria where a Governor kept 150 brand new jeeps in a compound and said he was a collector of jeeps?  This Sanusi Lamido Sanusi must think that the publishers of Financial Times are as foolish as his fellow Nigerian elite who fail to tell themselves the truth and who lie to each other and think that the whole wide world is as silly as they are.

Thirdly, when will he from Kano band his fellow Borno-Adamawa elite admit that they are the ones who are at fault.  They are the ones who failed their people and failed Nigeria and they are the ones who go about bandying false theories and precepts.  When 3 motor assembly plants were set up in Nigeria Volkswagen was in Lagos our friend at the Pan African University Pat Utomi ruined that one after he grabbed it under the PDP working for Shehu Shagari and ruined it.  PAN - Peugeot Automobile was established in Kaduna and that one continues to gulp subsidies and state aids and yet is not profitable, and ANNAMCO - Anambra State Motor Company with Mercedes Benz was set up in the East and today it is producing luxurious buses and it is profitable.

I am sure in that example lies the derivation theory of Sanusi Lamido Sanusi.  A derivation of laziness, a derivation of greed and corruption, and a derivation of lack of investment in your own people and in your own area.  Begrudging those whose oil has been stolen and whose lands have been destroyed does not cut it.  It is lazy mental exercise and Mister Governor of Central Bank of Nigeria, we need more rigour and more truth from you you.

Cheers.

Ibukunolu Alao Babajide (IBK)

I'm 100% support your view

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Aisha Buhari And Other Women At Social Media Change Agents Gathering Last Night / Restructuring: We’re Not Afraid, But Won’t Be Stampeded — Northern Elders / I Still Hold President Jonathan In Very High Esteem - Femi Fani-kayode

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 99
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.