Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,764 members, 7,806,093 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 11:20 AM

Thou Shall Not Question Thy God. But Why? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Thou Shall Not Question Thy God. But Why? (2029 Views)

How Do You Love God But Hate Your Neighbours? / Letter To Bishop Oyedepo: Thou Shall Serve No Other God, By Adeolu Ademoyo / I Am A Christian And Love God But I Still Keep Fornicating (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Thou Shall Not Question Thy God. But Why? by Ascony(m): 7:35pm On Oct 13, 2007
Whenever critics try to debate with fundamentalists, it normally ends up with THOU SHALL NOT QUESTION THY GOD. But why won't i question God when his attributes and characters are obviously questionable?
if God's characters are sraightforward and simple, who would dare to question him?
Re: Thou Shall Not Question Thy God. But Why? by Nobody: 9:39pm On Oct 13, 2007
perhaps u want to take this up with the muslims. There are numerous instances in the bible where prophets, kings and disciples openly questioned God's motives. Moses, Jonah, Gideon, Philip . . . the list goes on.

The God of the bible can certainly be questioned - HE says in Isaiah 1:18 "Come now, and let us have an argument together . . ."

No where did He say Thou shalt not question thy God.

1 Like

Re: Thou Shall Not Question Thy God. But Why? by Ascony(m): 10:47pm On Oct 13, 2007
[/quote]perhaps u want to take this up with the muslims. There are numerous instances in the bible where prophets, kings and disciples openly questioned God's motives. Moses, Jonah, Gideon, Philip . . . the list goes on.

The God of the bible can certainly be questioned - HE says in Isaiah 1:18 "Come now, and let us have an argument together . . ."

No where did He say Thou shalt not question thy God. [quote]

i wasn't  quoting the bible, if i was, i would have signified the exact portion in the bible where it is said.
my objective in this post is to know why believers normally resort to the idea of "you shouldn't question god" when on the other hand, his characters are obviously questionable.
Anyway, i'll go straight to the point because i won't like to bore anyone with lenghty pages.

If you think that we can question God, just answer me this one simple question(because God must have given u the answer since u can question him).
its the same question that we have been asking over and over.

WHY DID GOD CREAT EVIL? IF HE DIDN'T, THEN WHO DID?     

There are many questions to ask, but lets just start with this, i dont need to elaborate much on that because u know what i mean perfectly, and  I want u to be as coherent as possible.
And mind u, There is no need to start beating about and trying to come up with the same ol' stuffs, its a simple question and requires a simple answer.
Re: Thou Shall Not Question Thy God. But Why? by seyibrown(f): 1:09am On Aug 31, 2010
Bookmarked
Re: Thou Shall Not Question Thy God. But Why? by Joagbaje(m): 7:07am On Aug 31, 2010
God is perfect, so questioning God is trying to put the blame on God for whatever. "GOD WHY ME" or "GOD WHY"
the issue is that God is not responsible for our lives , we are responsible. People try to blame God and question him so as to shift the responsibility of their misfortune on him.
Re: Thou Shall Not Question Thy God. But Why? by Jenwitemi(m): 1:14pm On Aug 31, 2010
Asking questions does not necessarily has to equate blaming, my friend. People ask questions for multitude of reasons and only the ignorant acting as all-wise get scared and threatened of being questioned. So, what is it, then? Is your own idea of God all-knowing, or just pretending to be one?
Joagbaje:

God is perfect, so questioning God is trying to put the blame on God for whatever. "GOD WHY ME" or "GOD WHY"
the issue is that God is not responsible for our lives , we are responsible. People try to blame God and question him so as to shift the responsibility of their misfortune on him. 
Re: Thou Shall Not Question Thy God. But Why? by vescucci(m): 1:44pm On Aug 31, 2010
Interesting. My positions of Godly matters may seem unsympathetic to most people but what I really am is a brutally honest person seeking answers and without interest in fantastic or sensational colourations. In lieu of the above I'll say to the people who will no doubt soon reply the poster this:

If God didn't create evil and we brought it about then He also didn't create goodness. If God created goodness then He also created evil. It really is that simple. Keep in mind that lack of goodness doesn't automatically mean presence of evil and vice versa. A merciless person doesn't have to be evil. A harmless person is not necessarily good either. God does what He wants. I don't think he is 'unfathomable love' like some wishful thinkers.

1 Like

Re: Thou Shall Not Question Thy God. But Why? by nuclearboy(m): 9:05pm On Aug 31, 2010
^^^ Where do people get this impression of unfathomable love? Its like some see God as some kind of stuttering old ancient great grand-father with no teeth sitting there with saliva dripping, smiling daftly at all of mankind!

But truth is that He defines Himself as "I am that I am" inferring the totality of existence, capabilities and purpose. And sure, you can ask Him questions! Where the questioning becomes invalid is where one thinks He owes it to us to tell us what, why, when and where. No one has that level of favor. But, God created all things and that includes what we see as "evil". Point is - is it truly evil?

From whose point of view -

Is it evil for grass to be eaten by cattle?
Or for the Lion to get meat to eat?
Or for man to rule over the elephant with 60 times his weight or lion with its fierceness?
Or man to cut down a 300 year old tree just for firewood?
Or for God to fulfill His purpose?
Re: Thou Shall Not Question Thy God. But Why? by vescucci(m): 9:56pm On Aug 31, 2010
Nuke! You want to kill me? I rarely laugh out loud. My brother thinks I have no sense of humour when I don't laugh watching sitcoms. Actually it's not lack, it's an advanced sense of humour. I digress o. I laughed out loud cuz of your description of God. People like to think of God as pure unadulterated love. I think if you can love which God can, you automatically can hate. There can be no north without south. What's light without dark. I'm sort of back now oga.

Your reply is apt and simple. The way I like it served. Good and evil are mostly relative. We murder millions of farm animals but no one gets preachy when eating a burger. Is it not evil and mass murder to kill livestock? People like to say for instance that a man goes to hell based on the choices he made. Let's assume there's hell, blazing and all that, wouldn't you question the one who presented him with those choices knowing that the sucker is handicapped in choosing wisely? It's like giving a child the option of swimming in boiling oil and wading in cotton candy. If the child chooses to swim (that's one dumb child) I will ask why should there be such a choice at all to begin with? No one who believes in hell will actively seek it. In the end, you can question all you want. Just don't jump off a bridge when an answer is not forthcoming.
Re: Thou Shall Not Question Thy God. But Why? by nuclearboy(m): 10:16pm On Aug 31, 2010
^^ I did notice your return and NL is the better for it.

Tell you what I think - life seems mainly to be about the blind leading the blind. Thats why there's all of the confusion. I am a Christian and what I see in the Bible is a God that can be Father, Judge, Avenger, WarLord, Friend, Enemy based mainly on the choices we make and what side we are on.

What most Christians want to portray is the Father concept and that exclusively. I think that comes from the imbalance in the pulpits who use that to the exclusion of all others for their own nefarious ends. Most people would want everything for nothing (or least)and so are gullible in scams that suggest they pay for unlimited blessings, health and of course, salvation by bribing God to be their father. what does this require? Just believe. Believe what? Whatever "they" say! And of course, to please their customers, they neglect the fairness of The Judge, the anger of the Avenger, the strength of the Man of War, etc.

And God has become (in their deluded minds) the rambling senile idiot the Benny Hinns try to sell - the one who needs faith and who jumps twice when they scream "I command" at Him once.

But a cursory look at the ends of all of them (the leaders of the deluded) shows God truly laughs at the nations who imagine a vain thing - why do they always have heart disease, cancer, disgrace, poverty etc, as the end of their lives? Whats sad is the customers don't learn! embarassed
Re: Thou Shall Not Question Thy God. But Why? by Coldheart: 1:05am On Sep 01, 2010
+1 @nuclearboy

+1 @vescucci
Re: Thou Shall Not Question Thy God. But Why? by vescucci(m): 11:32am On Sep 02, 2010
Great! Actually it is +5 for nuclearboy. I'll accept my own +1 gallantly
Re: Thou Shall Not Question Thy God. But Why? by Nobody: 4:47am On Oct 31, 2012
Bump...

(1) (Reply)

The Vatican: Could More Lives Have Been Saved From Aids In Africa With Condoms? / "new Preacher In Town" (story No. 2) / The Death Of Religion

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.