Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,898 members, 7,802,898 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 02:27 AM

Hybrid Cars In Nigeria - Assessment, Performance & Maintainance - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Hybrid Cars In Nigeria - Assessment, Performance & Maintainance (15733 Views)

10 Most Expensive Cars In The World! / Hybrid Cars In Nigeria. / Hybrid Cars In Naija (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Hybrid Cars In Nigeria - Assessment, Performance & Maintainance by Ulamaster(m): 4:25am On Jan 29, 2012
Hybrid cars as almost all of us know are vehicles which use a cross between regular fuels and battery power charged from the regular fuels to power the vehicle. With PMS now costing N97 per litre in Nigeria, I am thinking this may be a good time for Nigerians to start to focus on these types of vehicles which gives more bang for the buck at the gas station, so to speak.
That brings us to the next stage - what are the performance and maintanance issues in Nigeria, do they live up to the billing in Nigeria and can users share their maintainance difficulties ?

1 Like

Re: Hybrid Cars In Nigeria - Assessment, Performance & Maintainance by Ulamaster(m): 2:57pm On Jan 29, 2012
Toyota Prius. One of the all time most popular hybrid vehicles.

Re: Hybrid Cars In Nigeria - Assessment, Performance & Maintainance by ngbede69: 12:43pm On Jun 18, 2012
Ulamaster: Hybrid cars as almost all of us know are vehicles which use a cross between regular fuels and battery power charged from the regular fuels to power the vehicle. With PMS now costing N97 per litre in Nigeria, I am thinking this may be a good time for Nigerians to start to focus on these types of vehicles which gives more bang for the buck at the gas station, so to speak.
That brings us to the next stage - what are the performance and maintanance issues in Nigeria, do they live up to the billing in Nigeria and can users share their maintainance difficulties ?
I've got a 2006 toyota highlander hybrid version and am really enjoying it.. Bt am still scared its goin 2 disappoint me 1day.. I've.
Re: Hybrid Cars In Nigeria - Assessment, Performance & Maintainance by ngbede69: 12:51pm On Jun 18, 2012
ngbede69:
I've got a 2006 toyota highlander hybrid version and am really enjoying it.. Bt am still scared its goin 2 disappoint me 1day.. I've.
www.toyota.com/html/hybridsynergyview/2006/fall/battery.html
Re: Hybrid Cars In Nigeria - Assessment, Performance & Maintainance by Nobody: 6:55pm On Jun 23, 2012
Where's the power to charge your Prius overnight going to come from? Are you planning to fuel your generator to charge your car instead of fueling your car directly? When electricity is regular, we may start to consider hybrid cars here. Till then, stick to conventional cars!

1 Like

Re: Hybrid Cars In Nigeria - Assessment, Performance & Maintainance by Lexusgs430: 7:34pm On Jun 23, 2012
1supremo: Where's the power to charge your Prius overnight going to come from? Are you planning to fuel your generator to charge your car instead of fueling your car directly? When electricity is regular, we may start to consider hybrid cars here. Till then, stick to conventional cars!

Hybrid cars are not electric cars. The conventional engine system charges the hybrid system, so no need to worry about PHCN!!!!
The main concern about hybrid cars, is if they go wrong where do you run to? Baba Lateef the local mechanic or Daniel the rewire?

4 Likes

Re: Hybrid Cars In Nigeria - Assessment, Performance & Maintainance by captalex(m): 9:55pm On Jun 23, 2012
What I can advice is for you to have a regular petrol consuming car,and if there is spare cash laying around,get a hybrid and see how it performs.I see alot of them on lagos roads. both suvs and Toyota camry sedans.
Re: Hybrid Cars In Nigeria - Assessment, Performance & Maintainance by Ekans: 10:13pm On Jun 23, 2012
All these fake people,stick to what our local mechanics can maintain.

2 Likes

Re: Hybrid Cars In Nigeria - Assessment, Performance & Maintainance by Nobody: 11:13pm On Jun 23, 2012
Hybrids have better fuel economy than normal petrol-powered cars, but due to their complex electrical components/harnesses, repairing them won't come cheap, the cost of replacing a hybrid's ba3 is another ball game altogether. Savings made @​ the gas pump will ultimately end up being used for repairs in the long run.

3 Likes

Re: Hybrid Cars In Nigeria - Assessment, Performance & Maintainance by Cheers01: 3:32am On Jun 24, 2012
I want to buy and ship the 2010 lexus RX450h (one of the best hybrids) but there is no info on it's maintenance in Nigeria/lagos

1 Like

Re: Hybrid Cars In Nigeria - Assessment, Performance & Maintainance by Nobody: 5:14am On Jun 24, 2012
Please Rate this brain..........

Ekans: All these fake people,stick to what our local mechanics can maintain.

What has "FAKE" got to do with this?

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Hybrid Cars In Nigeria - Assessment, Performance & Maintainance by Cheers01: 9:23am On Jun 24, 2012
nchewi: Please Rate this brain..........

What has "FAKE" got to do with this?

Just ignore the guy cheesy

2 Likes

Re: Hybrid Cars In Nigeria - Assessment, Performance & Maintainance by jude33084(m): 9:50am On Jun 24, 2012
Cheers01:

Just ignore the guy cheesy

Supported!

I have only seen it once in Benin with Agbonifo motors. Bt the problem will be its battery because if inverter batery can cost upto 45k for one I wonder how much that of an hybride car will cost undecided

Hybride is nt just electric and petrol alone; it can also be a gas and petrol like some of us now use in Benin. The gas is far cheaper when compared to petrol smiley
Re: Hybrid Cars In Nigeria - Assessment, Performance & Maintainance by Lexusgs430: 12:38pm On Jun 24, 2012
Cheers01: I want to buy and ship the 2010 lexus RX450h (one of the best hybrids) but there is no info on it's maintenance in Nigeria/lagos

If you really want an RX model to use in Nigeria, get the RX300!!!
Re: Hybrid Cars In Nigeria - Assessment, Performance & Maintainance by luvola(m): 1:21pm On Jun 24, 2012
Hybrid cars are the best for now you will be amazed when you compare there fuel consumption level.
Re: Hybrid Cars In Nigeria - Assessment, Performance & Maintainance by Lexusgs430: 5:30pm On Jun 24, 2012
luvola: Hybrid cars are the best for now you will be amazed when you compare there fuel consumption level.

When you use them within a congested city, yes!!! But as soon as you hit the motorways, it's the same consumption level as conventional engines within the same range !!!
Re: Hybrid Cars In Nigeria - Assessment, Performance & Maintainance by Nobody: 10:02am On Jun 25, 2012
Ulamaster: Hybrid cars as almost all of us know are vehicles which use a cross between regular fuels and battery power charged from the regular fuels to power the vehicle. With PMS now costing N97 per litre in Nigeria, I am thinking this may be a good time for Nigerians to start to focus on these types of vehicles which gives more bang for the buck at the gas station, so to speak.
Let's talk about E.V's.
Re: Hybrid Cars In Nigeria - Assessment, Performance & Maintainance by Ulamaster(m): 11:04pm On Jun 27, 2012
Maybe the Toyota authorised dealers within Nigeria might be able to do all major, necessary work on the Prius or other Toyota brands. Has any user in Nigeria faced major challenges with maintanance ? For fuel savings, it appears it's neither here nor there because the jury seems to be out in that the savings on fuel is usually lost in cost of the vehicle or on repairs somewhere down the line.
Re: Hybrid Cars In Nigeria - Assessment, Performance & Maintainance by AutoQuint: 5:36pm On Oct 14, 2012
hybrid is the best thing to happen to the World.. If you have any problem with hybrid vehicles please contact AutoQuint Services. autoclinicservices@gmail.com

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Hybrid Cars In Nigeria - Assessment, Performance & Maintainance by coalcoal1(m): 12:18pm On Mar 18, 2013
Please, can people using hybrid cars here in nigeria share their experiences? Thank you
Re: Hybrid Cars In Nigeria - Assessment, Performance & Maintainance by bravolad(m): 7:45pm On Mar 18, 2013
Ulamaster: Maybe the Toyota authorised dealers within Nigeria might be able to do all major, necessary work on the Prius or other Toyota brands. Has any user in Nigeria faced major challenges with maintanance ? For fuel savings, it appears it's neither here nor there because the jury seems to be out in that the savings on fuel is usually lost in cost of the vehicle or on repairs somewhere down the line.

Bro, I'm afraid they will be able to do that. I took my vehicle to one of them only to be told that; they do not repair American model vehicles. Shocking, isn't it? The explanation they gave me when I probed further was that they do not get technical support and that the parts are no available. I had to look elsewhere. I strongly doubt the technical capacity of the so called Toyota authorised dealers in modern vehicles here in Nigeria.

There are quite a few mechanics & technicians that can thoroughly diagnose a modern automotive. I have followed a few discussions here on Nairaland about rebuilding car engines in the UK and USA. The common practice in Nigeria is to replace your engine with a fairly used one.

1 Like

Re: Hybrid Cars In Nigeria - Assessment, Performance & Maintainance by AutoQuint: 8:07am On Mar 31, 2013
I have read many opinion on Hybrid particularly coming from Nigerians. The fact of the matter is:
The technology is new in the World (10 years at most 2002 - 2013).
There are many dangers involved - HV operating power is about 300volts (it can electrocute).
Many technicians do not know the technology yet, including the so called major dealers.
It is very expensive to maintain and needs periodical re-programing.
The popular code readers will not work on HV technology. (It can only help to read damage codes).
The machine for working on these vehicles must be the ones that can communicate effectively and activate the vehicle.
The maintenance of the Hybrid is different or extended.
Please if you don't have enough to spend on these cars, Do Not Buy Them - If you have problems on them get intouch.
I will be willing to help on the Hybrids particularly Toyota Hybrids if contacted (autoclinicservices@gmail.com)
And to receive my information serials on vehicle maintenance (AutoQuint Serials - more than 3000 recipients)also send a subscribe note to autoclinicservices@gmail.com. We entertain questions on your vehicles.
Re: Hybrid Cars In Nigeria - Assessment, Performance & Maintainance by Nobody: 10:28pm On Mar 31, 2013
jude33084:

Supported!

I have only seen it once in Benin with Agbonifo motors. Bt the problem will be its battery because if inverter batery can cost upto 45k for one I wonder how much that of an hybride car will cost undecided

Hybride is nt just electric and petrol alone; it can also be a gas and petrol like some of us now use in Benin. The gas is far cheaper when compared to petrol smiley

Gas as in gasoline or as in natural gas?
Re: Hybrid Cars In Nigeria - Assessment, Performance & Maintainance by AutoQuint: 5:36pm On Apr 01, 2013
I recently made a statement at the Lagos Chamber Of Commerce Conference (late last year). I speculated that if you buy a vehicle between October 2010 and December 2012, there is no quality rated engine oil to service them. It was a big shock to everyone that listened to me. And it is the truth at that time. Maintenance has many challenges in Nigeria, these are:
1. The quality and standard of Materials Used in Nigeria for vehicle maintenance.
2. The quality and genuineness of parts that is sold in Nigeria,
3. The skill to do the job and do it well
4. The quality and process management on routine maintenance in Nigeria and
5. The financial constraint that will permit quality maintenance in Nigeria.
On a bi-weekly release, I will highlight each topic and demand for advices on what we can do to help ourselves if the Government cannot help us. It will also be an eye opener to many forum trackers. First, I want to give insight to only Engine Oil in circulation and I will conclude on Material challenges next two weeks.
I will like to state that engine oil is what kept the vehicle power house moving. It is also certain that an obsolete oil or an under rated oil will kill the engine very fast and reduce performance to wasteful level.
It is actual but unbelievable that 92% of the engine oil that are available in Nigeria are either under rated for the engines or the engine oil are absolutely obsolete and sold at the same rate as imported engine oils.
The question is, why are the big brand oil makers are not producing the oil rate as demanded by the vehicle manufacturers? Why is the umbrella union of these oil producers allowing the production of under rated? Why is Nigeria Standard Organization not raiding the market to get rid of obsolete rated oil? Why do we have just about 8% of the rightly rated oil coming from just 3 outlets?
What should we do to reverse this trend? These people are killing the cars! like I use to analyze, it amounts to you accepting that a medical doctor should administer an expired drug on your child. What can we do?
Re: Hybrid Cars In Nigeria - Assessment, Performance & Maintainance by almusty07(m): 12:39pm On Oct 09, 2013
pls where can i get Toyota hybrid car battery
Re: Hybrid Cars In Nigeria - Assessment, Performance & Maintainance by autofreak2020(m): 10:11pm On Oct 10, 2013
@ AutoQuint
I REALLY APPRECIATE ALL YOUR EFFORTS AS REGARDS YOUR DEEP CONCERN FOR AUTO WORLD.
Re: Hybrid Cars In Nigeria - Assessment, Performance & Maintainance by autofreak2020(m): 10:12pm On Oct 10, 2013
@ AutoQuint
I REALLY APPRECIATE ALL YOUR EFFORTS AS REGARDS YOUR DEEP CONCERN FOR AUTO WORLD IN NIGERIA.
Re: Hybrid Cars In Nigeria - Assessment, Performance & Maintainance by ikefor(m): 3:33pm On May 28, 2015
almusty07:
pls where can i get Toyota hybrid car battery

Hi, we offer hybrid battery repairs and hybrid battery sales, maintenance and services here in Nigeria... Call 0817 207 4680 HTTPS://goo dot gl/P3kFiy
Re: Hybrid Cars In Nigeria - Assessment, Performance & Maintainance by Ricmayak1: 5:38pm On May 28, 2015
Lexusgs430:

When you use them within a congested city, yes!!! But as soon as you hit the motorways, it's the same consumption level as conventional engines within the same range !!!

You are right oga... but not exactly I think.
Even on highways, the hybrids are more fuel efficient because of regenerative braking, use of more efficient Atkinson cycle engine, electric power steering (though not for hybrids alone) and e-CVT.
The consumption will be identical to that of the conventional engines at very high speeds (with limited coasting/braking) when the batteries are not given the chance to recharge.
Hybrids still show remarkable MPG difference at highway speeds close to 100 km/h.
You get better MPG values when you use cruise control (not in terrain with hills) or you maintain constant speed rather than constant throttle.

What kills hybrid's fuel economy in this part of the world, for distant journeys, is use of AC at low temp settings because of our hot weather which kills MPG.
In the west and some other parts of the world with very cold weather, multiple cold starts kills MPG more (due to engine running rich for longer period at cold start due to cold weather). Thanks to the fact that hybrids warm up faster.

The difference at highway speeds might be small (depending on average highway speed) & is unnoticed to many, the difference actually exist.

Regards.
Re: Hybrid Cars In Nigeria - Assessment, Performance & Maintainance by Lexusgs430: 6:17pm On May 28, 2015
Ricmayak1:

You are right oga... but not exactly I think.
Even on highways, the hybrids are more fuel efficient because of regenerative braking, use of more efficient Atkinson cycle engine, electric power steering (though not for hybrids alone) and e-CVT.
The consumption will be identical to that of the conventional engines at very high speeds (with limited coasting/braking) when the batteries are not given the chance to recharge.
Hybrids still show remarkable MPG difference at highway speeds close to 100 km/h.
You get better MPG values when you use cruise control (not in terrain with hills) or you maintain constant speed rather than constant throttle.

What kills hybrid's fuel economy in this part of the world, for distant journeys, is use of AC at low temp settings because of our hot weather which kills MPG.
In the west and some other parts of the world with very cold weather, multiple cold starts kills MPG more (due to engine running rich for longer period at cold start due to cold weather). Thanks to the fact that hybrids warm up faster.

The difference at highway speeds might be small (depending on average highway speed) & is unnoticed to many, the difference actually exist.
Regards.

Have you owned or driven hybrid cars before? I tend not to believe all those fancy brochures and figures, manufacturers usually quote.
Real driving life experience, is the best judge!!!
Re: Hybrid Cars In Nigeria - Assessment, Performance & Maintainance by Ricmayak1: 8:56pm On May 28, 2015
Lexusgs430:

Have you owned or driven hybrid cars before? I tend not to believe all those fancy brochures and figures, manufacturers usually quote.
Real driving life experience, is the best judge!!!

I have a camry hybrid as I write.
I used to think same as you do because I am used to driving between 140km/h to 190km/h until I painfully tested about 100km/hr between Abuja and Kaduna this month. I was amazed at my findings (almost specs MPG value).

The highway MPG values released by the manufacturer is true but not under aggressive driving conditions. These values are higher for hybrids than similar conventional cars. Some people (myself inclusive) have had MPG values that surpassed the one quoted by manufacturer by very careful and skillful driving. I think they call it hypermiling...... There are some unique hybrid car driving skills.

Note: Bronchure MPG values for conventional cars may not be easily realised too under normal driving conditions we are used to.... so, it is not hybrids alone.
There are power train/other issues that can prevent a hybrid ( in fact, any car) from having good highway MPG values (there are special cases for hybrids). The discussion will be lenthy and not within the scope of this thread.

I do not mean that in real life, hybrids MPG specs are exactly as they are quoted by manufacturers but in comparison with non-hybrid versions, they have better MPG values even on highways (with lesser margins for highway in contrast to city).
Regards.
Re: Hybrid Cars In Nigeria - Assessment, Performance & Maintainance by Lexusgs430: 9:05pm On May 28, 2015
Ricmayak1:

I have a camry hybrid as I write.
I used to think same as you do because I am used to driving between 140km/h to 190km/h until I painfully tested about 100km/hr between Abuja and Kaduna this month. I was amazed at my findings (almost specs MPG value).

The highway MPG values released by the manufacturer is true but not under aggressive driving conditions. These values are higher for hybrids than similar conventional cars.

Note: Bronchure MPG values for conventional cars may not be easily realised too under normal driving conditions we are used to.... so, it is not hybrids alone.
There are power train/other issues that can prevent a hybrid ( in fact, any car) from having good highway MPG values (there are special cases for hybrids). The discussion will be lenthy and not within the scope of this thread.

I have owned a 3rd generation Toyota Prius and a second generation Lexus GS450 H. I have not achieved quoted figures (probably because my right foot, is lead induced).
Hence my disengagement from the hybrid revolution.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Free Internship Positions During The ASUU Strike. / thread closed. / Numbers To Call To Verify The Validity Of Your Driving Licence - FRSC

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.