Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,489 members, 7,808,812 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 05:14 PM

How Far Back Can You Trace Your Ancestry? - Culture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / How Far Back Can You Trace Your Ancestry? (16328 Views)

Help! What Do I Do With My Ancestry? / Do Igbo's Have Mixed Ancestry / How Far Can You Trace Your Genealogy? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Far Back Can You Trace Your Ancestry? by antartica(m): 2:49pm On Jan 29, 2012
lilkech:

^^^

CLASSIC EXAMPLE OF ' WATCHING TOO MUCH HISTORY CHANNEL ' SYNDROME

People are history.Have you forgotten africans are people?May be you fell from the sky like oduduwa.I have a traceable root and it is disappearing soon,
Re: How Far Back Can You Trace Your Ancestry? by NRIPRIEST(m): 3:04pm On Jan 29, 2012
Ok,let me start from the towns that make up the Umuokodu clan; Abatete,Umuoji and Nkpor. I am from Umuoji the who was the second son of Okoli Otie a hunter/warrior who was a decendant of the Nri clan. Umuoji has three quaters and 23 villages. I came from Dimechem quater and my village is Urumkpu Ndiagu. my kindred in Urumkpu is called Umunsika which has about five kindreds. I came from Umu-ugbogulu kindred and my immiediate family is one of the largest in my kindred.  I can trace my lineage as far as 600yrs back.
Re: How Far Back Can You Trace Your Ancestry? by ChinenyeN(m): 3:14pm On Jan 29, 2012
Odumchi, are we tracing lineage by the actual ancestors/descendants we can recount in succession, or is all of this just wide-scale tracing, by clan-lineage?
Re: How Far Back Can You Trace Your Ancestry? by Nobody: 3:38pm On Jan 29, 2012
I can tracemy ancestry as far backasmy father,we lived in lagos,and lived a happy life,oh gosh, ilove my oldman
Re: How Far Back Can You Trace Your Ancestry? by tlops(m): 4:33pm On Jan 29, 2012
Jesus
|||
Great Grand Father
| | |
Wife1 WifeII Wife III
| | |
Grand Father (cocoa farmer) GF's Sister GF's Brother
|
Grand Mother Step GM
| | |
Father Aunt (Teacher) Uncle
|
Sister Brother Brother Tlops
|
, Searching?

here is my Family Tree
Re: How Far Back Can You Trace Your Ancestry? by nedu210(m): 4:47pm On Jan 29, 2012
let me go dis way,
Re: How Far Back Can You Trace Your Ancestry? by Eltonluigi(m): 5:46pm On Jan 29, 2012
How come there is nobody sayin' their mum was among their grandfather's numerous wife b4 he died and she was pass'd on to your dad because this incéstous act has been the culture of your people.
Re: How Far Back Can You Trace Your Ancestry? by ndahbros1: 5:48pm On Jan 29, 2012
I can trace as far as Adam. Beyond that I'm not so sure,
Re: How Far Back Can You Trace Your Ancestry? by odumchi: 6:17pm On Jan 29, 2012
Some very interesting histories. More!

@Chinenye
You can do it both ways. I did mine both ways.
Re: How Far Back Can You Trace Your Ancestry? by Limaoscar: 7:08pm On Jan 29, 2012
I can trace mine from the Congo in Central Africa through the Cameroun Mountains to Present day Cross River cheesy wink
Re: How Far Back Can You Trace Your Ancestry? by omoghana22: 9:46pm On Jan 29, 2012
Nri is an ancient Igbo city-state in Anambra State Nigeria. The Kingdom of Nri was a center of learning, religion, and commerce in pre-colonial West Africa. Historians have compared the significance of Nri, at its peak, to the religious cities of Rome or Mecca: it was the seat of a powerful and imperial state that influenced much of the territories inhabited by the Igbo of Awka and Onitsha to the east; the Efik, the Ibibios, and the Ijaws to the South; Nsukka and southern Igala to the north; and Asaba, and the Anioma to the west. The rulers of Nri did not use military conquest, but imposition of religious authority and control of commercial routes as tactics in the spread of their city-state. Politically, Nri is known to be the most ancient origins of the Eze kingship in Igbo societies. But Nri and its rulers were also known for their occultic religious Juju, an institution that instilled both awe and fear in those who made pilgrimages to the shrine. Commercially, Nri was against slave holding. "Osu" was the name of outcasts of other communities who migrated and were accepted in Nri. Some Osu became eunuchs. During the colonial period, Nri and the regions under its political, religious, or commercial control became international markets for palm oil. In the heart of Nri influence was the Igbo Ukwu bronze castings.

The origin of Nri people is still a subject of much speculation. What we know for sure is that the Nri clan existed from as far back as the 9th century. Nri (the founder of Nri clan) was the son of Eri (founder of Aguleri) and had migrated to the present day Nri from Anambra (Ama-Mbala) river valley in Northern Igboland. Nri was said to have inherited spiritual powers from his father. The Nri people belong to the Umueri clans who trace their origins to Eri. Northern and Central Igboland, is the homeland of Igbo people.
Re: How Far Back Can You Trace Your Ancestry? by tpia5: 10:20pm On Jan 29, 2012
Re: How Far Back Can You Trace Your Ancestry? by NegroNtns(m): 11:54pm On Jan 29, 2012
My own Dad came to the UK from Nigeria with a false identity.
I know absolutely nothing about his family and suspect even my sirname is a product of his flight from Nigeria.
I enjoy reading about people who DO know about their family roots.

I am surprised noone responded to this Nigerian girl. She would like to know but doesnt know where to begin.

Do you know or your mom know any friends he had or was close to? Im sure through some questions and answers we possibly can narrow down and eliminate to get you close to home. We have many people here that have historical knowledge of families and tribes.
Re: How Far Back Can You Trace Your Ancestry? by ektbear: 12:16am On Jan 30, 2012
Not too far, unfortunately.
Re: How Far Back Can You Trace Your Ancestry? by DaRapture: 4:47am On Jan 30, 2012
I'm Black-American, a descendant of Slaves and immigrants, and it seems as though I can trace my ancestry back further than most of you Africans. cheesy
Re: How Far Back Can You Trace Your Ancestry? by DaRapture: 4:51am On Jan 30, 2012
tpia@:

not sure what africans have against tracing their genealogies.

if this question were asked on an oyibo site, there'd be plenty of informed answers.

Yeah, and people like you have the nerve to attempt to hassle descendents like me who take the time to learn about, trace and share the discoveries of their African ancestry, humm, odd.  undecided
Re: How Far Back Can You Trace Your Ancestry? by odumchi: 6:04am On Jan 30, 2012
Lmao grin

tlops:

Jesus
|||
Great Grand Father
| | |
Wife1 WifeII Wife III
| | |
Grand Father (cocoa farmer) GF's Sister GF's Brother
|
Grand Mother Step GM
| | |
Father Aunt (Teacher) Uncle
|
Sister Brother Brother Tlops
|
, Searching?

here is my Family Tree

Re: How Far Back Can You Trace Your Ancestry? by odumchi: 6:06am On Jan 30, 2012
This is nice but what is your actual family ancestry. We are more interested in that although it's also acceptable to include your clan's origin.

omoghana22:

Nri is an ancient Igbo city-state in Anambra State Nigeria. The Kingdom of Nri was a center of learning, religion, and commerce in pre-colonial West Africa. Historians have compared the significance of Nri, at its peak, to the religious cities of Rome or Mecca: it was the seat of a powerful and imperial state that influenced much of the territories inhabited by the Igbo of Awka and Onitsha to the east; the Efik, the Ibibios, and the Ijaws to the South; Nsukka and southern Igala to the north; and Asaba, and the Anioma to the west. The rulers of Nri did not use military conquest, but imposition of religious authority and control of commercial routes as tactics in the spread of their city-state. Politically, Nri is known to be the most ancient origins of the Eze kingship in Igbo societies. But Nri and its rulers were also known for their occultic religious Juju, an institution that instilled both awe and fear in those who made pilgrimages to the shrine. Commercially, Nri was against slave holding. "Osu" was the name of outcasts of other communities who migrated and were accepted in Nri. Some Osu became eunuchs. During the colonial period, Nri and the regions under its political, religious, or commercial control became international markets for palm oil. In the heart of Nri influence was the Igbo Ukwu bronze castings.

The origin of Nri people is still a subject of much speculation. What we know for sure is that the Nri clan existed from as far back as the 9th century. Nri (the founder of Nri clan) was the son of Eri (founder of Aguleri) and had migrated to the present day Nri from Anambra (Ama-Mbala) river valley in Northern Igboland. Nri was said to have inherited spiritual powers from his father. The Nri people belong to the Umueri clans who trace their origins to Eri. Northern and Central Igboland, is the homeland of Igbo people.
Re: How Far Back Can You Trace Your Ancestry? by odumchi: 6:07am On Jan 30, 2012
DaRapture:

I'm Black-American, a descendant of Slaves and immigrants, and it seems as though I can trace my ancestry back further than most of you Africans. cheesy

Then would you mind sharing?
Re: How Far Back Can You Trace Your Ancestry? by odumchi: 6:10am On Jan 30, 2012
PA1982:

My own Dad came to the UK from Nigeria with a false identity.
I know absolutely nothing about his family and suspect even my sirname is a product of his flight from Nigeria.
I enjoy reading about people who DO know about their family roots.

What ethnic group is your dad? And if you could give us a town or a state which he came from we could possibly trace your sub ethnic lineage.
Re: How Far Back Can You Trace Your Ancestry? by tpia5: 6:10am On Jan 30, 2012
DaRapture:

Yeah, and people like you have the nerve to attempt to hassle descendents like me who take the time to learn about, trace and share the discoveries of their African ancestry, humm, odd.  undecided

shut up and stop following me around.

am i preventing you from cooking up stories?

and while you're at it, why not trace, share and discover the other 3/4 of your non-african ancestry or is it by force to whine everywhere.
Re: How Far Back Can You Trace Your Ancestry? by vislabraye(m): 8:36pm On Jan 30, 2012
Man always like to race his lineage. But it would be difficult because of intermarriages and migration. . If you can trace ur 5th generation, u have done well. After all, the Williams were able to trace their roots to Badagry.
Re: How Far Back Can You Trace Your Ancestry? by DaRapture: 2:30am On Jan 31, 2012
odumchi:

Then would you mind sharing?

Well even though I've already shared my ancestry on this site many times over, I don't mind doing it again. Well humm, I'm a Black-American of primarily Igbo descent going all the way back to about 1619 in this nation, I'm a 15th generation descendant of an Igbo man and woman brought to the Virginia Colony, via the Jamestown Settlement.

They came as indentured servants, and from that point on my family has maintained a pretty steady Igbo descendant lineage in regard to our African based blood line. Now also have Cherokee, German and Scottish lineage as well. Well this is the watered down version, the more in depth version is much too long to discuss on here for the umpteenth time.
Re: How Far Back Can You Trace Your Ancestry? by rabzy: 9:36am On Jan 31, 2012
DaRapture:

Its not surprising you can do that. Records where kept by slave raiders of where their ship got slaves from, where it berthed, who bought who and from where. It was basically a business transaction and so records were meticulously kept in very many cases.

But here people just basically live their lives and pass on, no records where kept. The people who would be able to trace their lineage thru oral traditions would be those from royal families or those with famous warriors and hunters.

The most ancient person i heard of in my family was my great-great-grandfather, who was said to be a giant and sweeps his compound with a tree, can't imagine that.
Re: How Far Back Can You Trace Your Ancestry? by ifyalways(f): 9:42am On Jan 31, 2012
^lol. That's quite some story!

@topic, maternal side great, great grand parents. Paternal side great grand parents. I have heard stories on both sides though
Re: How Far Back Can You Trace Your Ancestry? by rabzy: 10:06am On Jan 31, 2012
Maybe we should hear some exploits of some of these our ancestors although very many would have been exaggerated. 
Pardon me if this is derailing the thread.
My maternal great-grandfather was said to be the first person to buy a gramophone and garri processing mill in my mum's village. He was also said to have accompanied his friend to jail, he believed his friend was innocent of the charges by the colonial authorities and asked them to lock both of them up which they promptly did.

Both friends made a pact in prison that when their wives give birth and they are opposite sexes, the two babies will be betrothed and that was how my grandparents were joined before birth. While a teenager, my grand mom took ill and was taken to a faraway village and my grand dad did not come to visit her, so she got angry and broke the relationship and later married another man who had the same name as my grand dad (to deceive the juju).

But she bore no child and she was told she has to come back to my grand dad before she can bear a child, she did that and gave birth to my mum.

Sorry for taking your time.

Re: How Far Back Can You Trace Your Ancestry? by ChinenyeN(m): 1:52pm On Jan 31, 2012
rabzy:

Maybe we should hear some exploits of some of these our ancestors although very many would have been exaggerated. 
Pardon me if this is derailing the thread.
My maternal great-grandfather was said to be the first person to buy a gramophone and garri processing mill in my mum's village. He was also said to have accompanied his friend to jail, he believed his friend was innocent of the charges by the colonial authorities and asked them to lock both of them up which they promptly did.

Both friends made a pact in prison that when their wives give birth and they are opposite sexes, the two babies will be betrothed and that was how my grandparents were joined before birth. While a teenager, my grand mom took ill and was taken to a faraway village and my grand dad did not come to visit her, so she got angry and broke the relationship and later married another man who had the same name as my grand dad (to deceive the juju).

But she bore no child and she was told she has to come back to my grand dad before she can bear a child, she did that and gave birth to my mum.

Sorry for taking your time.

This is an interesting story.
Re: How Far Back Can You Trace Your Ancestry? by tpia5: 6:17pm On Jan 31, 2012
I've heard a modern version of that story before.

Hmm, obviously some things were manipulated behind the scenes imo.
Re: How Far Back Can You Trace Your Ancestry? by lovelylady: 4:26pm On Feb 01, 2012
I can only go as far back as American South 1895. We know nothing of our family history the elders in my family never asked questions.
Re: How Far Back Can You Trace Your Ancestry? by rabzy: 6:24am On Feb 02, 2012
tpia@:

I've heard a modern version of that story before.

Hmm, obviously some things were manipulated behind the scenes imo.

I don't understand, a modern version as in, it happened like this to someone you know, that would be quite interesting.

My great-grand dad was a stubborn man. During the civil war when he was in his 80's. Biafran Soldiers came to our village to wait for the Nigerian Army. The old man had long flowing white beards, so the soldiers said he was a Hausa man and that he should cut his beards if he is not from the north or else he would be killed.
The man told them he is not a northerner and that he has had his beards before anyone of them was born and he was going to his graves with his beards. Everybody was begging him to cut it, but he bluntly refused. The Soldiers eventually left him alone.
Re: How Far Back Can You Trace Your Ancestry? by odumchi: 1:11pm On Feb 02, 2012
rabzy:

I don't understand, a modern version as in, it happened like this to someone you know, that would be quite interesting.

My great-grand dad was a stubborn man. During the civil war when he was in his 80's. Biafran Soldiers came to our village to wait for the Nigerian Army. The old man had long flowing white beards, so the soldiers said he was a Hausa man and that he should cut his beards if he is not from the north or else he would be killed.
The man told them he is not a northerner and that he has had his beards before anyone of them was born and he was going to his graves with his beards. Everybody was begging him to cut it, but he bluntly refused. The Soldiers eventually left him alone.

Interesting story. Seems like your great grandfather was an interesting character.
Re: How Far Back Can You Trace Your Ancestry? by tpia5: 7:27pm On Feb 02, 2012
rabzy:

i heard a modern version.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Police Uncover Plan To Abduct Arugba During Osun Osogbo Festival / What Do You Think Is The Most Famous Name In Your Tribe. / Eze Ndi Igbo Nairaland Cultural Office

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.