Stats: 3,149,964 members, 7,806,787 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 12:08 AM

Yaya Boni Defeats Gej To Become AU Chairman. - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Yaya Boni Defeats Gej To Become AU Chairman. (13775 Views)

Invasion Of Nigeria By Benin Rep:1914 Agreement Has Expired, Boni Yayi Tells PMB / Buhari Receives H.E. Boni-Yayi, Benin Republic President In Abuja (photos) / Boni Haruna Cries After Seeing Boko Haram Destruction In Adamawa (Pics) (2) (3) (4)

Re: Yaya Boni Defeats Gej To Become AU Chairman. by tyson55(m): 9:29pm On Jan 29, 2012
Benin President New Chair of African Union

The gory activities of the Islamic extremists group, Boko Haram on Sunday stopped President Goodluck Jonathan from clinching chairmanship position of African Union (AU).

Against expectations that the Nigerian president will emerge Chairman of the Africa's largest body, President of the Republic of Benin, Boni Yayi has been elected the new chairman of the African Union for the period of 12 Months.

Leadership gathered that news of insecurity and the mass protests both home and abroad that trailed the removal of fuel subsidy played major roles in turning down the choice of Jonathan as AU Chairman.

The newly elected chairman who is himself an economist in his acceptance speech, however, promised support for jonathan and Nigeria in tackling the terrorism problem which the country currently faces.

"I want to congratulate the new chairman of the African Union,  Boni Yayi," said Obiang, the outgoing chairman, speaking after the official announcement at the AU summit meeting in the Ethiopian capital.

"I have no doubt that with your great leadership ,  you will conduct the work of our Union towards our agenda of peace and prosperity. I wish you all success in your efforts," Obiang added.

Yayi, an economist who took office six years ago of the small West African nation, said he accepted the post with humility for the "high responsibility."

"I wish to express my gratitude with respect and appreciation to the heads of state we have here for the confidence they have in my regard," Yayi said after the vote.

"We shall continue to work hand in glove to ensure that we consolidate all that we have achieved so far," he added.

Obiang, summing up his year in office, accused "external powers that wish to perpetuate their influence" of manipulating Africa.

"Africa should not remain indifferent to external interference. Africa should not be questioned with regards to democracy, human rights, governance and transparency in public administration," he declared.

http://allafrica.com/stories/201201290031.html
Re: Yaya Boni Defeats Gej To Become AU Chairman. by Nobody: 9:33pm On Jan 29, 2012
wat a shame! grin
Re: Yaya Boni Defeats Gej To Become AU Chairman. by Proxytalk: 9:33pm On Jan 29, 2012
mr president i think there's a lot of challenges facing the country now , going for AU chairmanship is a bit ego centric. all the same its a courageous trial
Re: Yaya Boni Defeats Gej To Become AU Chairman. by juman(m): 9:34pm On Jan 29, 2012
Why did he enter the race at last minute?
Re: Yaya Boni Defeats Gej To Become AU Chairman. by gokuu(m): 9:36pm On Jan 29, 2012
Good. That monster should not be allowed an inch outside Nigeria! At least, Africa will be spared from his venomous stench.
Re: Yaya Boni Defeats Gej To Become AU Chairman. by Mogidi: 9:45pm On Jan 29, 2012
gokuu:

Good. That monster should not be allowed an inch outside Nigeria! At least, Africa will be spared from his venomous stench.

Do you think you made any sense with the above? abeg go read ya book jare.
Re: Yaya Boni Defeats Gej To Become AU Chairman. by ume(m): 9:48pm On Jan 29, 2012
GEJ,GEJ,GEJ how many times i call u,abi dem swear 4 u?
Re: Yaya Boni Defeats Gej To Become AU Chairman. by ceejayluv(m): 9:51pm On Jan 29, 2012
GEJ embarrasses me once again
Re: Yaya Boni Defeats Gej To Become AU Chairman. by chelseabmw(m): 9:55pm On Jan 29, 2012
hehehehehehehe. . . .foolish president. . . . lipsrsealed
Re: Yaya Boni Defeats Gej To Become AU Chairman. by hbrednic: 9:56pm On Jan 29, 2012
GEJ should have known better  embarassed
Re: Yaya Boni Defeats Gej To Become AU Chairman. by ochukoccna: 9:57pm On Jan 29, 2012
Great. grin grin grin grin grin
The best news I have heard this evening
Re: Yaya Boni Defeats Gej To Become AU Chairman. by hbrednic: 9:58pm On Jan 29, 2012
chelseabmw:

hehehehehehehe. . . .foolish president. . . . lipsrsealed
take am easy with the insults
Re: Yaya Boni Defeats Gej To Become AU Chairman. by kizito96(m): 9:59pm On Jan 29, 2012
Nigeria has lost its bearing within the sub-region. I said it that GEJ is no charisma of leadership
Re: Yaya Boni Defeats Gej To Become AU Chairman. by BigBenoski(m): 10:01pm On Jan 29, 2012
Another junk journalism from saharareporters. They aint even sure he contested. Mscheeewwww! Next
Re: Yaya Boni Defeats Gej To Become AU Chairman. by Igbanibo: 10:01pm On Jan 29, 2012
We don suffer O!
Re: Yaya Boni Defeats Gej To Become AU Chairman. by ochukoccna: 10:01pm On Jan 29, 2012
ceejayluv:

GEJ embarrasses me once again

Only if he knows what embarrassment means seeing pigs always make a byline for their vomit.
Re: Yaya Boni Defeats Gej To Become AU Chairman. by chux76(m): 10:04pm On Jan 29, 2012
We really must have a headless baby wit a coconut 4 a head as presido, contesting for another Chairmanship position when the current presidential seat he is squatting on is ablaze with GAS,FUEL,SULFUR all joined together,
Ah ah, come sef dis GEJ guy get water 4 dt coconut head wey him carry 4 neck so??
Re: Yaya Boni Defeats Gej To Become AU Chairman. by omo9ja1(m): 10:05pm On Jan 29, 2012
ha ha ha ha grin

I am luving this move
Re: Yaya Boni Defeats Gej To Become AU Chairman. by OmoTier1(m): 10:17pm On Jan 29, 2012
What then will happen to the 32 neighbour to Neighbour (N2N) aides Madam Patience took to Ethiopia Are they going to loose their allowances angry

Wait a minute, is this not the same Yayi that came to ask GEJ for $10million? chei, Yayi don eat He last fufu for Aso Rock be that cheesy
Re: Yaya Boni Defeats Gej To Become AU Chairman. by beafroast: 10:18pm On Jan 29, 2012
make una sofri sofri dey talk o. Beaf dey on guard to faya counta fayaring!
Anyways,make una no blame oga presido,na him LUCK no GOOD for dia.
Re: Yaya Boni Defeats Gej To Become AU Chairman. by Starlett: 10:20pm On Jan 29, 2012
GEJ should set his house in order before attempting to export leadership to the rest of Africa;

Yet another embarrassing moment in his sorjourn.
Re: Yaya Boni Defeats Gej To Become AU Chairman. by arewatech(m): 10:20pm On Jan 29, 2012
I think i have inhaled Laughing Gas, Oh ma stomach
Re: Yaya Boni Defeats Gej To Become AU Chairman. by bakila: 10:35pm On Jan 29, 2012
Its true NTA said Boni won who ever advised our president to contest does not have the image of nigeria at Heart. You children have diarhoea, you wife cholera you houseboy kwasiokor, you neibours house on fire, you tap leaking, your foodsupplies poisnd our brothers fighting your sisters and you want to the whole community to gave you there problems to solve ' ceremonially'
Re: Yaya Boni Defeats Gej To Become AU Chairman. by hannahmay(f): 10:37pm On Jan 29, 2012
That badluck Nigerian dey cal him don dey work o.
Re: Yaya Boni Defeats Gej To Become AU Chairman. by nasty45(m): 10:40pm On Jan 29, 2012
jona jona jona shey i warn u.ds guy sure dont knw wen to quit.u really got bad advisers.smdh
Re: Yaya Boni Defeats Gej To Become AU Chairman. by HighChief4(m): 10:40pm On Jan 29, 2012
Am not even sure he contested, it has not been confirmed he contested apart from those rumor mongers Sahara Reporters
Re: Yaya Boni Defeats Gej To Become AU Chairman. by OmoTier1(m): 10:44pm On Jan 29, 2012
High_Chief:

Am not even sure he contested, it has not been confirmed he contested apart from those rumor mongers Sahara Reporters
Don't act stupid here, He contested!! While His inability to clinch that position is not something to rejoice over, more worrying the report that He tried to breached an earlier agreement in a mini-summit of West African HoS to pick Yayi and back him during the elections. Shows GEJ cannot be trusted to keep a simple agreement
Re: Yaya Boni Defeats Gej To Become AU Chairman. by chux76(m): 10:45pm On Jan 29, 2012
Someone who is yet to crawl now wants to ride a bicycle, GEJ please come and tell me how much the 32naira has accrued to since the 15th of January and leave AU seat for people wey get real head on their necks.
Re: Yaya Boni Defeats Gej To Become AU Chairman. by Kolababa: 10:46pm On Jan 29, 2012
The reason Mr Goodluck Jonathan lost the contest is that hw forgot to tell them that he didn't have shoes. He also forgot to get annoiting from Baba Adeboye b4 he departed for Addis Ababa.
What a mistake?
Re: Yaya Boni Defeats Gej To Become AU Chairman. by oiseworld: 10:58pm On Jan 29, 2012
hbrednic:

GEJ is one of the African leaders that voted in favour of NATO's destruction of libya
and the subsquent killing of a fellow african head of state,others will regard him as a sell-out.
GEJ should have known better  embarassed

THANK GOD SOMEONE IN THE HOUSE CAN REASON.  WHAT A RELIEF.

the shameless Africa Union has started again. they have threaded a wrong path by not voting  GEJ. how would they? when Jonathan refused to join them in their cowardly decision of supporting GADDAFI. once again they have allowed their African mentality to guide them in this election.

i hope the figure head there (BENIN PRESIDENT) this time would be more reasonable and understand the movement of tide.
Re: Yaya Boni Defeats Gej To Become AU Chairman. by freecocoa(f): 11:04pm On Jan 29, 2012
grin grin grin grin I dey laugh

Nigerian Couple Failed DNA Test For Twins At Embassy / LIRS: Workers To Pay More Income Tax In Lagos / Tinubu To Announce VP On Thursday