Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,288 members, 7,807,976 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 12:51 AM

ASUU To Call Off Strike On Wednesday - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / ASUU To Call Off Strike On Wednesday (27872 Views)

FG Forced ASUU To Embark On Strike / ASUU To Call Off Strike On Monday / Breaking News: ASUU To Embark On Strike (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

ASUU To Call Off Strike On Wednesday by Nobody: 2:24am On Jan 30, 2012
[b]From IHEANACHO NWOSU,
Abuja Monday,
January 30, 2012

The ongoing strike by the Academic Staff Union of
Universities (ASUU) may be called off tomorrow. To this end, the leadership of the union is billed to
meet at the University of Abuja, Gwagwalada, to
review the strike and outcome of dialogue with the Federal Government. ASUU, last week, met with the Minister of Education, Prof. Ruqayyatu Rufai in Abuja to resolve grey areas in the contentious ASUU agreement. The meeting could not produce the desired results as the lecturers turned down the minister’s pleas to end the strike. Before the meeting, Senate, as part of moves to get ASUU to call of the strike, passed a bill elongating the retirement age of lecturers from 60 to 70 years.
The increase in the retirement was contained in
ASUU’s agreement signed by government some
years ago. Other items in the agreement include revamping the decaying infrastructure in universities, increased research funding and enhanced emoluments.
Although the Federal Government signed the
agreement, it had refused to honour it, leading to
recurring strikes by ASUU. Speaking to Daily Sun, an official of ASUU who pleaded anonymity revealed that significant inroads had been made in resolving the disagreement with government. He said: “We are almost at the end of the strike. Unless anything crops up we hope to call off the strike on Tuesday (tomorrow). “We will meet at the University of Abuja on that Tuesday and I think the meeting will agree to end the strike.”
Asked if the Federal Government had accepted to
implement the union’s agreement, he replied:
“What I can tell you is that we have made some strides. We have a minister who, to some extent, is
not playing politics with the agreement unlike what we had in the past.”[/b]

http://sunnewsonline.com/webpages/news/national/2012/jan/30/national-30-01-2012-018.html

Re: ASUU To Call Off Strike On Wednesday by samguru(m): 2:54am On Jan 30, 2012
Praise the lord oooooo
Re: ASUU To Call Off Strike On Wednesday by Dclique(m): 6:25am On Jan 30, 2012
Long Over-due.
Re: ASUU To Call Off Strike On Wednesday by Dsage1: 8:35am On Jan 30, 2012
I dont kno der problem,wat's stopng dem 4m holdng a meeting since last week monday.If dey lik,let dem refuse to call it off,how on earth can a union called ASUU demandng 70yrs retirement age,wen d retirement is set at 60yrs,some of dem ar sti in service at 75yrs but kno dat's been set at 70yrs,dey wont retired unti death took dem away.
Re: ASUU To Call Off Strike On Wednesday by fabby26(m): 10:40am On Jan 30, 2012
The spate of incessant industrial action in our higher institution of learning is fast leading our educational system to mines. if they like to call it off there's their business, They had demanded so many things from government, even retirement age of 70 years. ASUU is just insatiable and they will keep on demanding, What have the institutions of higher learning spread across the country being doing with thier internally generated revenue if not the misappropriation of funds by the so called School authorities, after they will blame it on FGN, we pay for our school fees which is fast increasing year in year out, after all education is not free. Abeg , they should just go and rest, If am the FGN, I will not listen to them untill they are tired. I don't even want them to call of the strike, not now i just started making some good bucks out of it.
Re: ASUU To Call Off Strike On Wednesday by Monaide: 1:36pm On Jan 30, 2012
Haaaa shocked finally!!!!!!! Now please can you people just come and release the direct entry result? I'm dying here. Any one with info on Kogi state university Direct entry list?
Re: ASUU To Call Off Strike On Wednesday by stagger: 1:59pm On Jan 30, 2012
THIS IS A GROSSLY MISLEADING POST!

I have just had contact with two of my friends who are lecturers and their local branches have voted NO.

It is only by tomorrow that we will know the final tally at the National Executive Meeting.

So how did the OP get his information when the local branches are still meeting? National Exco yet to meet.

And then the moderator now capped it up with the grossly misleading caption on the front page.

STOP SPREADING FALSE INFORMATION AND RAISING PEOPLE'S HOPES BEFORE TIME!
Re: ASUU To Call Off Strike On Wednesday by tomzman: 2:10pm On Jan 30, 2012
undecided
Re: ASUU To Call Off Strike On Wednesday by twinstaiye(m): 2:15pm On Jan 30, 2012
The fact that there is a link pointed by the starter of the thread makes it not a misleading information. You either believe Daily Sun or believe your local branches. As for the Moderator, he/she is merely doing his/her job since it is a matter that is of interest to a lot of people.
Re: ASUU To Call Off Strike On Wednesday by horlabiyi(m): 2:25pm On Jan 30, 2012
Let's wait till Wednesday before saying anything.
Re: ASUU To Call Off Strike On Wednesday by otokx(m): 2:29pm On Jan 30, 2012
You guys may receive the shock of your lives
Re: ASUU To Call Off Strike On Wednesday by Divaifylor(f): 2:40pm On Jan 30, 2012
I read it in daily sun n daily trust,I just hope it's true cos I rejected a nice job believing dey'll call of d strike b4 payday but vanguard gave a contradicting report yesterday
Re: ASUU To Call Off Strike On Wednesday by buzor(m): 2:43pm On Jan 30, 2012
lazy lecturers that are only good at doing nothing. God ll punish ASUU and its chairman.
they enjoy d strike cos whether they teach or dont teach, at d end of d month, their salary is certain.
Re: ASUU To Call Off Strike On Wednesday by otokx(m): 2:48pm On Jan 30, 2012
my local branch here in Port Harcourt also voted NO
Re: ASUU To Call Off Strike On Wednesday by Nobody: 2:52pm On Jan 30, 2012
Thank God finally
Re: ASUU To Call Off Strike On Wednesday by bandely(m): 3:08pm On Jan 30, 2012
Akpako!!! I can't wait! grin grin grin
Re: ASUU To Call Off Strike On Wednesday by AYODEJI4LOVE(m): 3:10pm On Jan 30, 2012
, Victory at last, am glad
Re: ASUU To Call Off Strike On Wednesday by hannahmay(f): 3:13pm On Jan 30, 2012
This should better be true. Lazy lecturers and ASUU probes.
Re: ASUU To Call Off Strike On Wednesday by freeman191(m): 3:20pm On Jan 30, 2012
buzor:

lazy lecturers that are only good at doing nothing. God ll punish ASUU and its chairman.
they enjoy d strike cos whether they teach or dont teach, at d end of d month, their salary is certain.

AMENNNNNNN!!! OOOH

Am really fed up with this so called lecturers, they are selfish, self centered, arrogant etc, it was in these same lectures that all took turns in taking their leave in the same year, which made us to loose a whole academic session, its this same lecturers that will molest and harass students, this same lecturers that have full time business/job they are engaged in, while going on strike and they still receive there full salary during strike, it is this same lecturers that will teach 5 topics in 3hrs meant to be taught in 4weeks, and yet they old the country to ransom, demanding they stay longer than 65yrs punishing students.

The truth is that these lecturers are nothing outside their classroom, they only acts like big bullies over students, meanwhile they contribute nothing to move the nation forward in terms of bringing solutions to nigerian's numerous problems
Re: ASUU To Call Off Strike On Wednesday by ignis: 3:23pm On Jan 30, 2012
Thank God, Atlast
Re: ASUU To Call Off Strike On Wednesday by speeder(m): 3:28pm On Jan 30, 2012
this ASUU are very childish. 70yrs? Hmm. Sha anybody with info on uniabuja admission list please call 08099625633. Thanks
Re: ASUU To Call Off Strike On Wednesday by Baawaa(m): 3:31pm On Jan 30, 2012
If i get some of you guys right,what you are saying is that lecturers are bad than police grin grin
Re: ASUU To Call Off Strike On Wednesday by akinbless: 4:08pm On Jan 30, 2012
Na only God fit help us in dis our country,Nigeria
Re: ASUU To Call Off Strike On Wednesday by oc2fish: 4:42pm On Jan 30, 2012
@ FREEMAN
I pity your condition because you do not know what it takes to produce a Professor, your are so
abusive in your post and so much in a hurry to graduate with no employable skill. Our certificate
is look down on because of people like you who all that is important is the paper and not the
understanding of the subject matter. We operate a university system with no equipment for practical
demonstration, no chemicals and obsolate apparatus.

Nigerian graduate are unemployable because they lack the basic knowledge in their area of study
Assu can be selfish, but the fact remains that the University system is dieing. In those days at UI
every 100 level science student owe a cupboard containing stuff from Microscope to the basic but now
??
In the University we have few experts and they do not reproduce themselves untill it is almost too
late we need this expert to stay alittle bit to train the younger once so that we will not lose everything.
During the brain drain our best left and only a few remain this few are aging and we need them to reproduce
themselves or we will be all dooooomed.
Re: ASUU To Call Off Strike On Wednesday by Chimex30(m): 4:52pm On Jan 30, 2012
Lets just wait and see
Re: ASUU To Call Off Strike On Wednesday by Emeka72(m): 5:45pm On Jan 30, 2012
I beg, they should call of the strike if they want to; so much corruption in our educational system.
Re: ASUU To Call Off Strike On Wednesday by GboyegaD(m): 5:51pm On Jan 30, 2012
oc2fish:

@ FREEMAN
I pity your condition because you do not know what it takes to produce a Professor, your are so
abusive in your post and so much in a hurry to graduate with no employable skill. Our certificate
is look down on because of people like you who all that is important is the paper and not the
understanding of the subject matter. We operate a university system with no equipment for practical
demonstration, no chemicals and obsolate apparatus.

Nigerian graduate are unemployable because they lack the basic knowledge in their area of study
Assu can be selfish, but the fact remains that the University system is dieing. In those days at UI
every 100 level science student owe a cupboard containing stuff from Microscope to the basic but now
??
In the University we have few experts and they do not reproduce themselves untill it is almost too
late we need this expert to stay alittle bit to train the younger once so that we will not lose everything.
During the brain drain our best left and only a few remain this few are aging and we need them to reproduce
themselves or we will be all dooooomed.  

I have a problem with the bolded part. Our professors are not doing research and are not updated in modern day discoveries. They keep fighting for themselves and not how to improve the students under them. A professor who at 50 is not upgrading himsef, why should he remain till 70? Most of this professor keeps recycling same note from time immemorial. While curriculum is being improved by the day, most Nigerian Universities still use the same curriculum they have been using from the beginning of time.

As for the strike, to me, I do not see the essence any more. It is either they go on strike once and get their demands met rather than going for 2 to 3months almost every other year. They keep appealing to some sentiments of some kind rather than logic.
Re: ASUU To Call Off Strike On Wednesday by yokiti: 7:26pm On Jan 30, 2012
Good, hope this will be the final strike?
Re: ASUU To Call Off Strike On Wednesday by shags(m): 7:48pm On Jan 30, 2012
Dey had beta cal off the strike.am real bored out here.my AREA aint suited for reading.LOUD music all dae @ home.no library to do research.am Tired BIG TYM!!
Re: ASUU To Call Off Strike On Wednesday by Nobody: 7:52pm On Jan 30, 2012
Nigerian Lecturers are just shameless. They also have a fair share of the blames for problems militating against our country's growth. A good percentage of them have very terrible teaching methods and are truth-less. Even the science oriented ones can not come up with ingenious ideas to propagate growth in science and technology like their counterparts in other parts of the world. The bad ones that occupy the admission offices have doctorates in nepotism and can not admit students based on merit, the list is endless, but when it comes to protests, they be world champions. angry angry God go judge anybody wey say hard workers no go progress angry I can never forget the admission denial ABU gave me some years ago, Had enough scores good enough to even go Pluto for school sef but those bad men make me spend extra year for house angry angry

(1) (2) (Reply)

Abuja’s 5 Most Expensive Secondary Schools / Ifeoma Bibiana Okoli: Blind Woman Bags PhD From The University Of Ibadan (Photo) / Professor Ransford Gyampo To Sue BBC Over 'Sex For Grades' Scandal

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.