Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,775 members, 7,802,381 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 01:19 PM

Stollen Catalytic Converter - Car Talk (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Stollen Catalytic Converter (14486 Views)

Pls Help: Catalytic Converter Missing In Exhaust Pipe / How To Remove Check Engine Light Originating From Bad/absent Catalytic Converter / Driving A Car Without Catalytic Converter (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Stollen Catalytic Converter by JaaizTech: 11:33pm On Jan 15, 2013
Siena:

Costee, some states will visually inspect the catalyst, some check for a CEL, while others go the whole hog, and do emission testing. In such states, gutting / removing the catalyst means the car will not pass emissions.

The O2 "cheat" is merely a defouler, commonly used on worn engines, to prevent oil from fouling the spark plugs. It's a spacer, that moves the O2 sensor tip from the gas flow. In some cases, it will work enough for the ECU not to throw a CEL, but the car may still be thirstier than normal. The O2 sensor does not register static data, the information it picks up is constantly changing. So some cars fitted with defoulers will still often throw up a code, and illuminate the CEL.

Gutting a catalyst is done in the US in states that don't do emission testing. It's a cheap way of losing the catalyst, without the need to purchase a test pipe (a pipe that fits in place of the catalyst). The downside is, you end up with a hollow section, which creates turbulence. This will alter the back pressure, which a naturally aspirated engine is very sensitive to. This will choke performance, and raise fuel consumption. A straight pipe is the best option - if you decide to delete the catalyst.

Deleting the catalyst to increase response works more on older cars, pre-OBD-II. It also favours turbocharged engines, where the catalyst is bolted directly to the turbo, by increasing spool-up time. On a 2006 Toyota Corolla, it's pointless removing it.

I am going to gut my CATALYTIC CONVERTER tomorrow, God willing. I have thought it through, buying a fairly used CAT. is a No NO, and I can't wait for the time it takes to order a new one. But I think it is just going to work great. The Catalytic converter really isn't anything other than a chamber that holds special types of metal that reacts with your exhaust fumes, to make them safer gases. It doesn't impact your fuel consumption in itself.
The reason why cars running without CAT. consume fuel is that the Oxygen sensor senses too much air and directs the system to throw more fuel in to balance the mix. So if you can reduce the exposure of your O2 sensor into the chamber of the CAT.; then you may actually prevent it from doing so. The trick to achieve this is simple; put a spark plug defouler before screwing in the O2 sensor.
As for the theory of creating turbulence in the hollowed CAT. I think it is over exaggerated, the CAT. in itself isn't that big, The muffler will discharge the exhaust gas more quickly, without the CAT and hence you are not likely to experience turbulence but in fact steady flow. The idea of turbulence is based on the thinking that the car will generate more fumes than the mufflers can discharge instantly, which I don't think is the case. To further buttress this point, many cars made for outside USA markets don't even have a CAT installed in them.

The only issue I am not quite sure of is the fact that some cars do need some back pressure, which the catalytic converter provides, but definitely not all cars.
Re: Stollen Catalytic Converter by tunaprex: 1:47pm On Jan 16, 2013
pls, I need help. I use a 2005 toyota matrix XR 4wd. I had a mechanic check on it & it was discovered dat d catalytic converter is absent. I have a 45 litre tank(dats what d manual says) but @ filling stations, d minimum fuel dats filled it up is 52L & I use it 4 approximately 10days( I only go 4rm my house 2 my work place everyday of d week,which is 15minutes drive). Some pple say my car's fuel economy is good, some say its not. This is my first car so I don't really have nothing to compare with. But the main issue now is dat the noise d car makes is much. Every now & den, pple ask me why d sound of d engine is so heavy. U don't have 2 be in d car 2 hear it. The body vibrates, I hear lots of wierd sounds. A mechanic told me It was d engine seat, they checked & say a damaged one & fixed it. It didn't change anything. Anoda one said my exhaust is leaking 4rm d site the catalytic converter was removed & I shld bring it 4 sealing by welding. I've not done dat yet, I jux need you guy's opinions cos I don't think many of these mechanics know wat they're doin. Thnx a lot in anticipation 4 yur prompt responses.
Re: Stollen Catalytic Converter by Ikenna351(m): 2:17pm On Jan 16, 2013
tunaprex: pls, I need help. I use a 2005 toyota matrix XR 4wd. I had a mechanic check on it & it was discovered dat d catalytic converter is absent. I have a 45 litre tank(dats what d manual says) but @ filling stations, d minimum fuel dats filled it up is 52L & I use it 4 approximately 10days( I only go 4rm my house 2 my work place everyday of d week,which is 15minutes drive). Some pple say my car's fuel economy is good, some say its not. This is my first car so I don't really have nothing to compare with. But the main issue now is dat the noise d car makes is much. Every now & den, pple ask me why d sound of d engine is so heavy. U don't have 2 be in d car 2 hear it. The body vibrates, I hear lots of wierd sounds. A mechanic told me It was d engine seat, they checked & say a damaged one & fixed it. It didn't change anything. Anoda one said my exhaust is leaking 4rm d site the catalytic converter was removed & I shld bring it 4 sealing by welding. I've not done dat yet, I jux need you guy's opinions cos I don't think many of these mechanics know wat they're doin. Thnx a lot in anticipation 4 yur prompt responses.

When I got my car, the Catalytic converter was absent, meaning, the oxygen sensor was absent too. I bought an oxygen sensor, constructed the bung on the exhaust, screwed in the purchased o2 sensor and connected the sensor on its harness that was left hanging-unconnected.

Without the Catalytic converter, the car mpg remains factory, proven by the last trip i did with the car last month. I dont know about the working of your engine management, but mine runs well, even better, without the Catalytic converter, as long as the oxygen sensor is still installed and connected.

You need to find out how many o2 sensor and cat converter the car should have (google it). Then you check to know if the car still have the sensor(s), even after the removal of the cat converter.

You didnt give us enough details to know if the car is thirsty or not. We need to know the distance from your house to office and how many minutes/hours you spend on traffic jams on your way to office (if any).

Or you simply scan the car, whether you are getting the "check engine" light on the instrument cluster or not. Our mechanics and auto technicians can tamper with that bulb.

Ikenna.
Re: Stollen Catalytic Converter by tunaprex: 2:39pm On Jan 16, 2013
Thnx Ikenna 4 d prompt response. Distance 4rm my house 2 work is like 4rm Egbeda 2 ikeja inside. I stay in kaduna( 4rm u/rimi to stadium) & there isn't much traffic most times( maximum of 5minutes in traffic, in total its 15minutes drive 2 work 4rm my home. I've had d car scanned b4 cos I had d check engine light & still have it- O2 sensor issues. The car moves well as testified by different drivers cos I've travelled with it-Lagos 2 sokoto, sokoto 2 benue. On one occasion I travelled 4rm sokoto 2 kaduna & used a full tank(45L), I got d reserve light as I entered K.D. So I don't really know if this is good economy. More contributions needed pls.
Re: Stollen Catalytic Converter by femzyk(m): 3:58pm On Jan 05, 2015
hello guys...my volkswagen golf 4 has no catalytic converter, pls, what will i do?
Re: Stollen Catalytic Converter by disloman(m): 12:05am On Jan 06, 2015
Ikenna351:
Sorry guys for these clowns have put you guys through.

The cause of of the high fuel consumption is not becuase of the absence of the caty converter, but because of absence of o2 sensor attached on the caty. If I were you guys, I wont bother to put back the Caty. Why? Because its a blessing to run your car without the caty. Your engine would be more responsive without caty converter & there would be a noticeable improvement in the fuel economy, better than when it had the caty converter. The caty converter reduces engine output & hinders car good fuel economy. Thats why i regard those thieves that stole your caty as clowns, because they donot understand what they did. Caty is installed in western world to control emission. Is even against the law to run a vehicle without it, especially in North America.

How then would you solve the car running rich issue (excessive fuel -black smoke)? Simply, install back the oxygen sensor is the solution. You musnt attach the o2 sensor on Catalytic converter for the sensor to work. I did it on mine & it worked, & still working till date. What you need to do is to go auto used spare market, look for a condemned exhaust that has o2 sensor hole on it or a damaged or dead caty converter, with the hole for the sensor still intact. Buy the condemned part of the exhaust pipe with the hole of the o2. You need the hole with o2 thread for the sensor to screw in. Cut out the part of the exhaust pipe that has the hole, take it to a welder. Ask the welder to measure the pipe you cut (with the hole for o2), cut the exhaust pipe of the car with the measurement he gets from the pipe you bought & weld in the pipe with the o2 sensor to the exhaust pipe of the car. Pls, it should be done on exhaust pipe close to the engine or the particular location of the exhaust pipe where the catalytic converter was before. If the pipe you bought wont match with the pipe in the car, cut out, in circle, the hole of the o2 from the pipe, create a hole on the car exhaust & weld in the thread of the sensor on the car exhaust pipe. I hope my explanation is not confusing?

After the welding job, you will then have to purchase the o2 sensor. Its a little bit expensive. I bought mine brand new, a Bosch Universal 4- wire o2 sensor. The price was between 10 & 15k. Unless you want to try a used one, i would advice you to get a new one. Most modern cars have 4-wire o2 sensor that has heater. Or you can google it to know the type that your car should have. When you get the sensor, screw it in the constructed hole. The harness & the plug should be hanging around the location of the catalytic converter (believing that the sensor ws unplugged when the stole the catalytic converter). When you find the sensor plug, plug it in & all the black smoke, overfueling, rich running or high fuel consumption will be a thing of the past. You will even start enjoying the car engine performance more than when it has caty, with better fuel economy.

If you think you cant go through this conversion, you can go & search for the caty which is very expensive & you might end getting a clogged/dead one, which would worsen the situation you are in now.

I took pics of mine when i did my own o2 sensor construction job on the exhaust pipe. But they are too large & cant be attached here. It would have helped you guys in guiding you on how to do it or instruct the welder what to do. Goodluck.

Ikenna.
U guys shouldn't try d bullshit this boy just posted
Re: Stollen Catalytic Converter by instinctg(m): 12:00pm On Jan 06, 2015
^^^^ I think it was posted due to his ignorance of the issue as at then (2 years ago),he must have known better by now

1 Like

Re: Stollen Catalytic Converter by cnwokike(m): 11:42am On Apr 21, 2016
hello, I will need your insight on how to tackle this.
disloman:
U guys shouldn't try d bullshit this boy just posted
Re: Stollen Catalytic Converter by kunle75(m): 5:40pm On Apr 21, 2016
thirdi:
The Mechanic is on the run.

But can i get it replaced at minimal cost as I do not have time to go bunty hunting

yes you can ,

Same thing happen to me sometimes ago i have to go to LADIPO market to get it.

Go and buy loose and tight and not cut and join as popularly know by the mechanics.

Its 15k as at 2014 but i dont know the price now

Sorry bro
Re: Stollen Catalytic Converter by obidevine(m): 7:19pm On Nov 18, 2016

Ikenna, I disagree.

Removing the catalyst from an older car (pre-OBD II) won't cause any issues. OBD II cars have Lambda probes before AND after the catalyst. If you delete the catalyst, the post-catalyst probe will register a different mixture, and throw a check engine light. So deleting the catalyst is not that straight-forward. I've done this on countless VAG models, and the only way to delete the catalyst is to code the post catalyst Lambda probes out. So we're talking different fuel map, so the post catalyst probes are no longer required.

Running a car without a catalyst in North America is prohibited in some states, not all. Not all states require emissions, some states simply check there's no check engine light illuminated, with no sniffer test. These guys run test pipes in place of their factory catalysts, with the OBD II post-catalyst probes coded out.

The days of catalysts hindering performance are long past. We've had cars on dynos here, with catalyst, and after removal, and power output remains the same. On some cars, there's actually been a reduction in torque. So catalyst removal may free up a few extra ponies in an older car, not a new one. New cars have less restrictive catalysts, typically 300 cells and lower. The lower the number, the less restrictive they are.

If you're not sure what you're doing, it's not adviceable to delete your catalysts. Remove the catalysts from a 2006 Honda Accord V6, and see what happens.
@ nobody.. Do you happen to know anyone with large quantities of old catalytic converters?contact me via email obidevine@yahoo.com
Re: Stollen Catalytic Converter by ayobamizz: 9:19am On Jul 11, 2022
We should all be aware of the symptoms of absence of Caty converter in a vehicle

1. Loud noise when car is started and running
2. Dark and more emission from the exhaust
3. Increase in carbon monoxide making it difficult for u to breathe when u wind ur glasses down
4. Your exhaust is no more intact from visual inspection
5. Increase in fuel consumption
6. Car accelerating poorly
Re: Stollen Catalytic Converter by chukel(m): 5:00pm On Jul 11, 2022
KunleA2:
I think you should have him arrested. i have my converter stolen from the port. The car is a tokunbo. By the time we got it out, it has been stolen. its a camry

Sad.
how? Do they now steal catalyst inside port? Hold your agent responsible
Re: Stollen Catalytic Converter by paul1980: 6:25pm On Jul 11, 2022
The caty converter indirectly reduced fuel and create velocity for the o2 oxygen sensor to sense previous exhaust jet
Re: Stollen Catalytic Converter by Badadvisor: 9:07pm On Oct 17, 2022
Mine was stolen by my mechanic also sad

(1) (2) (Reply)

My Engine Capacity!! What Does It Mean? / Funny Things Non-Car Enthusiasts Say / Installmental Payment Plan For Cars

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.