Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,638 members, 7,801,849 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 01:57 AM

How Reliable Are Hyundai Vehicles? - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / How Reliable Are Hyundai Vehicles? (64520 Views)

How Reliable Are Volvo Cars? / How Reliable Are Mazda Cars? For A Frequent Traveller. / How Reliable Are BMW Cars? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Reliable Are Hyundai Vehicles? by purefella(m): 12:18am On Feb 01, 2012
Is Hyundai Vehicle Company A Chineese Company? How Reliable Are Their Vehicles!

what's the comparison like, Hyundai to other popular car makes Toyota, Honda, Volkswagen not in terms of how they sell in the market but how they can perform better on the road and what's the availability of their parts in Nigeria? Hyundai vehicle owners and auto dealers should please respond. Thanks

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Reliable Are Hyundai Vehicles? by Nobody: 12:36pm On Feb 01, 2012
Hyundai is SouthKorean and not Chinese. Their main Korean competitior is Kia. The name Hyundai is taken to mean ''Modern'' or ''Modernity''. The name is pronounced ''hiyon-day'' and not ''ha-yon-dai" as most people pronounce it.
Over the years the car has come to strongly compete with Toyota which is taken to be the most trusted brand by Nigerians. However ''Trust'' is a thing of choice and experience. Trust is slowly but surely being built into the Hyundai brands as the years go by. People have realised that they are affordable and give or take if bought new, a car can serve upto 5 years before giving regular issues. It is expected that with increasing patronage, available financing and available technical service provision, the sales will continue to increase.

People will continue to prefere Toyota to Honda and Honda to Hyundai and Kia. This is because Toyota has been aboe to win the trust of Nigerians. Regarding durability and ruggedity it is difficult to say. Go online and type in the following ''problem with, " and put in the name of any car.You will see that all cars have issues. All of them!

26 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Reliable Are Hyundai Vehicles? by purefella(m): 7:47am On Feb 02, 2012
dabriggs:

Hyundai is SouthKorean and not Chinese. Their main Korean competitior is Kia. The name Hyundai is taken to mean ''Modern'' or ''Modernity''. The name is pronounced ''hiyon-day'' and not ''ha-yon-dai" as most people pronounce it.
Over the years the car has come to strongly compete with Toyota which is taken to be the most trusted brand by Nigerians. However ''Trust'' is a thing of choice and experience. Trust is slowly but surely being built into the Hyundai brands as the years go by. People have realised that they are affordable and give or take if bought new, a car can serve upto 5 years before giving regular issues. It is expected that with increasing patronage, available financing and available technical service provision, the sales will continue to increase.

People will continue to prefere Toyota to Honda and Honda to Hyundai and Kia. This is because Toyota has been aboe to win the trust of Nigerians. Regarding durability and ruggedity it is difficult to say. Go online and type in the following ''problem with, " and put in the name of any car.You will see that all cars have issues. All of them!

Thanks alot dabriggs useful comment

1 Like

Re: How Reliable Are Hyundai Vehicles? by purefella(m): 7:50am On Feb 02, 2012
Please will any auto dealers respond to this HYUNDAI ,,thanks to dabriggs i have learnt its is iron day oh sorry hyion day lolz not i don die as people pronounce it., plz respond auto dealers
Re: How Reliable Are Hyundai Vehicles? by nissparts(m): 9:36am On Feb 02, 2012
In my experience, VERY RELIABLE.

3 Likes 3 Shares

Re: How Reliable Are Hyundai Vehicles? by purefella(m): 1:57am On Feb 03, 2012
nissparts:

In my experience, VERY RELIABLE.

Thanks for the contribution mr nissparts
I did not open this thread because am planing to buy a Hyundai vehicle ,am trying to educate Nigerians about the company and their products so that average nigerians that need an exotic car with cheaper price can go for their products and also see it as a good car if they are truly reliable

I need auto dealers responses to explain further about it , how easy is it to get mechanic that can fix the vehicle , their parts how easy is it to get in the market and lot more you can explain
Thanks all

4 Likes

Re: How Reliable Are Hyundai Vehicles? by onyxo76(m): 10:20am On Feb 03, 2012
purefella:

Please will any auto dealers respond to this HYUNDAI ,,thanks to dabriggs i have learnt its is iron day oh sorry hyion day lolz not i don die as people pronounce it., plz respond auto dealers
i use a 2008 hyundai elantra and its really lovely to drive, honestly i can't tell the difference as regards other japannese cars. i guess toyota is too overpriced likewise honda and nissan.
also i've noticed over time that police hardly ever stop a hyundai product for checking as they are hardly ever reported stolen. so my suggestion- go for hyundai elantra , its less expensive and you get good value for money. i drove my elantra from lagos to ilesa in osun state on a/c all through and consumed just 1/4 tank of fuel.

16 Likes

Re: How Reliable Are Hyundai Vehicles? by purefella(m): 11:09pm On Feb 03, 2012
onyxo76:

i use a 2008 hyundai elantra and its really lovely to drive, honestly i can't tell the difference as regards other japannese cars. i guess toyota is too overpriced likewise honda and nissan.
also i've noticed over time that police hardly ever stop a hyundai product for checking as they are hardly ever reported stolen. so my suggestion- go for hyundai elantra , its less expensive and you get good value for money. i drove my elantra from lagos to ilesa in osun state on a/c all through and consumed just 1/4 tank of fuel.

Thanks for the response , i wonder why no auto dealer is saying anything if someone open thread now asking for Toyota Highlander dem go start to reply with pictures saying one dey usa , one dey canada useless people

13 Likes

Re: How Reliable Are Hyundai Vehicles? by purefella(m): 11:12pm On Feb 03, 2012
@ onyxo , i have a question have you ever had any problem like you need to get some of your car parts ? how easy is that for you to get the parts ? do you think their good mechanics that can repair Hyundai when its faulty or maybe someone that can repair Honda , toyota , volkswagen and other popular products can easily repair Hyundai vehicle
Re: How Reliable Are Hyundai Vehicles? by purefella(m): 7:13pm On Jun 07, 2012
Where are Hyundai vehicle users/lovers!!!
Re: How Reliable Are Hyundai Vehicles? by Nobody: 7:23pm On Jun 07, 2012
dabriggs: Hyundai is SouthKorean and not Chinese. Their main Korean competitior is Kia. The name Hyundai is taken to mean ''Modern'' or ''Modernity''. The name is pronounced ''hiyon-day'' and not ''ha-yon-dai" as most people pronounce it.

Useful and nice comments sir. I have used cars like Toyota and Honda products. Now, I currently just bought a tokunbo Hyundai sonata 2001 model and I can tell you there is no major differents. As a matter of fact I have not had a single proble with this hyundai car and its so fuel effient more than any car I ever used. Used about 9lts of petrol from abk to ibadan. Drive smoothly and with good shocks. All electrical systems works good and troubleshooting is easy. I love this hyundai product and would probaly change to a higher model of hyundai soon. Hyundai has come to stay and its currently 3rd best selling brand in America.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Reliable Are Hyundai Vehicles? by Nobody: 7:29pm On Jun 07, 2012
my colleague got a brand new hyundai santa dfe as official car last week. last night the car packed up just within 10 minutes of leaving the office just before falomo bridge. this was 10.30pm. i left the office 20 mins after him, and we were the last out of the office. we had to tow the car to a safe place

rubbish car

3 Likes

Re: How Reliable Are Hyundai Vehicles? by LarryTay: 7:32pm On Jun 07, 2012
I bought the Hyundai Accent for my wife about four years ago and the car has served the family very well, I mean very well. However, the only thing I find out is that you can not easily access the parts in open market probably to avert imitation of products. Go for it and you won't regret.

2 Likes

Re: How Reliable Are Hyundai Vehicles? by boriswole: 7:39pm On Jun 07, 2012
dabriggs: Hyundai is SouthKorean and not Chinese. Their main Korean competitior is Kia. The name Hyundai is taken to mean ''Modern'' or ''Modernity''. The name is pronounced ''hiyon-day'' and not ''ha-yon-dai" as most people pronounce it.

KIA and Hyundai are not competitors, they are brand names for the same company.

10 Likes

Re: How Reliable Are Hyundai Vehicles? by Nobody: 7:44pm On Jun 07, 2012
As reliable as Keke naped.

One thing I like about Hy cars is their awesome design, and it stops there.
Re: How Reliable Are Hyundai Vehicles? by Siga: 7:45pm On Jun 07, 2012
Koreans call it he-oon day
Americans call it Hun-day
Naija man call am Ha-yon-day

But all that aside...they make pretty good cars now....if u buy from North America...they are pretty good and cheap with all good features that will cost you extra on Lexus and or high end brands....
Re: How Reliable Are Hyundai Vehicles? by hoha4life(m): 7:49pm On Jun 07, 2012
I DRIVE A 2009 MODEL OF HYUNDAI ELENTRA. BOUGHT IT ON JULY 31, 2009 BRAND NEW. I MUST CONFESS, ITS A GOOD BUY. I HV TRAVELLED WITH IT TO AND FROM CALABAR (MY FORMER BASE) TO LAGOS (MY NEW STATION) 13 TIMES, NO ISSUES. SO FAR, I HV DONE 70,000 MILEAGE. ITS COSY INSIDE, FUEL EFFICIENT AND DURABLE. THE ONLY MINUS IS DAT, WHENEVA AM DOING 180 PLUS, THE CAR BECOMES VERY LIGHT. SOUND SYSTEM IS WONDERFUL, POWERFUL HEAD LAMP AND FOG LIGHT. PERSONALLY, I TINK ANY CAR BOUGHT BRAND NEW WILL MOST TIMES DELIVER, IF PROPERLY HANDLED AND MAINTAINED. FOR ME , ITS HYUNDAI FOR LIFE.

5 Likes

Re: How Reliable Are Hyundai Vehicles? by Lekkidave: 8:02pm On Jun 07, 2012
hoha4life: I DRIVE A 2009 MODEL OF HYUNDAI ELENTRA. BOUGHT IT ON JULY 31, 2009 BRAND NEW. I MUST CONFESS, ITS A GOOD BUY. I HV TRAVELLED WITH IT TO AND FROM CALABAR (MY FORMER BASE) TO LAGOS (MY NEW STATION) 13 TIMES, NO ISSUES. SO FAR, I HV DONE 70,000 MILEAGE. ITS COSY INSIDE, FUEL EFFICIENT AND DURABLE. THE ONLY MINUS IS DAT, WHENEVA AM DOING 180 PLUS, THE CAR BECOMES VERY LIGHT. SOUND SYSTEM IS WONDERFUL, POWERFUL HEAD LAMP AND FOG LIGHT. PERSONALLY, I TINK ANY CAR BOUGHT BRAND NEW WILL MOST TIMES DELIVER, IF PROPERLY HANDLED AND MAINTAINED. FOR ME , ITS HYUNDAI FOR LIFE.

Shuo!!? 180 plus? Softly, softly make you go before your time o!

9 Likes

Re: How Reliable Are Hyundai Vehicles? by abankula: 8:07pm On Jun 07, 2012
Hyundai, to the best of my knowledge, is a very reliable car. I have once used Hyundai Sonata and travelled with it from Abuja to Ibadan on several occassions. Apart from servicing, i had no major issue with the car. However, the parts are very scarce in the market.

3 Likes

Re: How Reliable Are Hyundai Vehicles? by Nobody: 8:10pm On Jun 07, 2012
hoha4life: I DRIVE A 2009 MODEL OF HYUNDAI ELENTRA. BOUGHT IT ON JULY 31, 2009 BRAND NEW. I MUST CONFESS, ITS A GOOD BUY. I HV TRAVELLED WITH IT TO AND FROM CALABAR (MY FORMER BASE) TO LAGOS (MY NEW STATION) 13 TIMES, NO ISSUES. SO FAR, I HV DONE 70,000 MILEAGE. ITS COSY INSIDE, FUEL EFFICIENT AND DURABLE. THE ONLY MINUS IS DAT, WHENEVA AM DOING 180 PLUS, THE CAR BECOMES VERY LIGHT. SOUND SYSTEM IS WONDERFUL, POWERFUL HEAD LAMP AND FOG
LIGHT. PERSONALLY, I TINK ANY CAR BOUGHT BRAND NEW WILL MOST TIMES DELIVER, IF PROPERLY HANDLED AND MAINTAINED. FOR ME , ITS HYUNDAI FOR LIFE.
Oga, you can do 180 plus! Man, that's quite powerful. Please, think safety first. My hyudai sonata is comfortable for me to maintain and service. Nice ride and problem so far. Hyundai for life.

1 Like

Re: How Reliable Are Hyundai Vehicles? by Nobody: 8:11pm On Jun 07, 2012
hoha4life: I DRIVE A 2009 MODEL OF HYUNDAI ELENTRA. BOUGHT IT ON JULY 31, 2009 BRAND NEW. I MUST CONFESS, ITS A GOOD BUY. I HV TRAVELLED WITH IT TO AND FROM CALABAR (MY FORMER BASE) TO LAGOS (MY NEW STATION) 13 TIMES, NO ISSUES. SO FAR, I HV DONE 70,000 MILEAGE. ITS COSY INSIDE, FUEL EFFICIENT AND DURABLE. THE ONLY MINUS IS DAT, WHENEVA AM DOING 180 PLUS, THE CAR BECOMES VERY LIGHT. SOUND SYSTEM IS WONDERFUL, POWERFUL HEAD LAMP AND FOG
LIGHT. PERSONALLY, I TINK ANY CAR BOUGHT BRAND NEW WILL MOST TIMES DELIVER, IF PROPERLY HANDLED AND MAINTAINED. FOR ME , ITS HYUNDAI FOR LIFE.
Oga, you can do 180 plus! Man, that's quite powerful. Please, think safety first. My hyudai sonata is comfortable for me to maintain and service. Nice ride and no problem so far. Hyundai for life.

1 Like

Re: How Reliable Are Hyundai Vehicles? by Nobody: 8:16pm On Jun 07, 2012
Lekkidave:

Shuo!!? 180 plus? Softly, softly make you go before your time o!
180 plus! It gives me the shudder. Let's think safety first. 120-140 is ok. If you are traveling far please leave early. Life has no duplicate my guys.

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Reliable Are Hyundai Vehicles? by Gentleboby: 8:20pm On Jun 07, 2012

Correct

1 Like

Re: How Reliable Are Hyundai Vehicles? by viperman: 8:31pm On Jun 07, 2012
As an experienced AutoDealer and User, I've had fantastic experiences with "He yoon dei"(Hyundai).
I believe since 2008, they took the mantle of excellence from TOYOTA and ever since toyota has not been able to catch-up.
In area of FUEL ECONOMY, they are unarguably the best; from Tucson, Santa-Fe, ix35, i10, Sonata, Elantra, Accent etc....the fuel economy is so good you'd beg [/b]the car to use up the fuel on-time.
EXAMPLE: My brother drives a 2010 Sonata, and in 2008, on full-tank we drove from Lagos to Asaba(Delta state)...with all the ORE hold-up and benin hold-up; we got to Asaba and the fuel gauge was just at half tank. In 2010, we did samething with same car, and we got there with the fuel gauge reading just slightly below half tank.

DURABILITY: I have used a 2007 Sonata, and people who know me personally know I like "stunt" driving to test how fast and durable cars are.
I used this sonata for 7months and I didn't change any ball-joints or shocks.

DESIGN: No much talks....Hyundai knocks toyota off easily on this one.

In the last 3years, all the clients we've sold on hyundai product or another have not complained....and I'm not exaggerating; I MEAN ALL OF THEM(like 9).
In conclusion, I would say HYUNDAI has arrived finally.

[b]www.viperautos.com

www.facebook.com/ViperAutos

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Reliable Are Hyundai Vehicles? by DaRapture: 8:57pm On Jun 07, 2012
purefella: Is Hyundai Vehicle Company A Chineese Company? How Reliable Are Their Vehicles!

what's the comparison like, Hyundai to other popular car makes Toyota, Honda, Volkswagen not in terms of how they sell in the market but how they can perform better on the road and what's the availability of their parts in Nigeria? Hyundai vehicle owners and auto dealers should please respond. Thanks

Hyundai is a South Korean company, they've come a long way along with their sister company KIA, but they are cars meant
for environments with a solid infrastructure in place (road network). A place like Nigeria would tear a Hyundai up, because they aren't built for toughness, but rather simply for economical gas mileage and comfort.

1 Like

Re: How Reliable Are Hyundai Vehicles? by larrygee(m): 9:10pm On Jun 07, 2012
From my experience, A nice car for price and some features that comes as extra premium on other well known Japanese and European cars.
Concerns are - The Jeeps are not that strong for Bad and flooded roads because of bearings and wheels issues. Moreso, The service centres of the official marketers are too expensive and exploitative, May be it is the nigeria factor as our government and regulating bodies dont really care about how foreign companies exploit its citizen.
overall, Good car and improving design for good roads, As per maintenance requiring change of parts, look for a good and trusted mechanics around who can get the parts and fix because that company go "cut your head".
Re: How Reliable Are Hyundai Vehicles? by AustenU: 9:54pm On Jun 07, 2012
Hyundai cars i think are very reliable, but there's a backside to the model i use (Accent, the model before the latest one). An "EPS" indicator shows on the dashboard and immediately the steering stiffens. So stiff that you think you are driving a '68 model truck. I think its a factory fault cos everyone i know that drives that model has experienced the problem at one time or the other. You start experiencing this problem after the first 2years.

Their technicians advised that i change the entire steering column which is quite expensive (they gave my a bill of N320k). By the way the steering system for that particular model is mechanical not hydraulic (very great steering system i must confess). Very difficult to the parts in the open market as well as technicians who are used to the brand.

Fuel economy is great. Before the subsidy removal, i use N3,500 full tank for 1 week. Now i use about N5,000. For speed, don't do more that 120km/hr on this particular model, cos the car will be so light that you'd afraid that a small wind will fly it out of the road.

Well i think if the replacement parts are readily available (which i believe that with time it'll be so) and more technicians get to understand the engine, i'll advise anyone to go for it.

The downside is that you have to use their technicians for your repairs and they don't come cheap. By the way, i got the steering column for N180k from another source and they are working on it at the moment. Will see how the car performs after that before i can give my final verdict, but all in all, i think its a great car!

3 Likes

Re: How Reliable Are Hyundai Vehicles? by jawjaw1: 10:11pm On Jun 07, 2012
I have driven one for almost 4 years (Elantra 2008, bought brand new) and have been across the country with it. Driven it to Abuja, Kaduna, Lagos, Benin, Owerri, Ibadan and also across the Nigerian border (at least more than 2 times each). I have done about 70,000km with it and can reliably say its a good car. You treat it right by servicing it as at when due and making the necessary part repairs and it will reciprocate by taking you wherever you want to go.

Compared to the already established Japanese models that are more expensive, Hyundai is worth the money you pay for it.

Hyundai cars are at the same stage the Japanese cars were in Nigeria in the late 70s and early 80s. Nigerians looked at the Japanese cars then with skeptism because the Peugeots, Mercedes Benz and Volkswagen were the popular brands. But with time Nigerians have come to have faith in them. That is the same thing I expect to happen to Hyundai and Kia cars in Nigeria in the near future.

For your additional info, Hyundai and Kia are both owned by the same parent company in South Korea. They have the same engine and chasis but different body and interior designs. Hyundai is modelled to compete with Toyota while Kia is modelled to compete with Honda. They have certainly started to gain grounds on Toyota and Honda around the world. In Nigeria 2 different companies hold the dealership franchise. Stallion motors sells Hyundai while Dana motors sells Kia.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How Reliable Are Hyundai Vehicles? by Nobody: 10:53pm On Jun 07, 2012
The past model Hyundai Tucson is crappy though. A 2009 model currently with about 30k mileage has such bad Fuel consumption - average of 14l/100km. It's so sluggish too, but didn't 't mind too much since it wasn't gonna be driven far. At about 28k mileage, the key wouldn't turn the engine until after a lot of tries. Strange after dealing with the frustration for about 3weeks, and not having time to go to their Service station, the problem disappeared.

The Tucson's only saving grace are the excellent brakes. A neighbour's Tucson of similar age recently totally packed up- engine issue.

There's a reason these cars are cheaper than the Toyotas and Hondas. The Toyotas feel better put together.

Hope they improved the fuel economy on the new IX35. For a 2.0l engine small SUV, the fuel consumption of the past model Tucson is annoying.
Re: How Reliable Are Hyundai Vehicles? by purefella(m): 11:20pm On Jun 07, 2012
TroGunn: The past model Hyundai Tucson is crappy though. A 2009 model currently with about 30k mileage has such bad Fuel consumption - average of 14l/100km. It's so sluggish too, but didn't 't mind too much since it wasn't gonna be driven far. At about 28k mileage, the key wouldn't turn the engine until after a lot of tries. Strange after dealing with the frustration for about 3weeks, and not having time to go to their Service station, the problem disappeared.

The Tucson's only saving grace are the excellent brakes. A neighbour's Tucson of similar age recently totally packed up- engine issue.

There's a reason these cars are cheaper than the Toyotas and Hondas. The Toyotas feel better put together.

Hope they improved the fuel economy on the new IX35. For a 2.0l engine small SUV, the fuel consumption of the past model Tucson is annoying.

I THINK SOME MODELS FROM TOYOTA AND HONDA ALSO HAVE SOME PROBLEMS , the Hyunai Tucson being crappy has stated above doesn't mean all HYUNDAI vehicles are bad .,please lets talk on General terms
thanks
Re: How Reliable Are Hyundai Vehicles? by BusHouse(m): 12:34am On Jun 08, 2012
jaw jaw: I have driven one for almost 4 years (Elantra 2008, bought brand new) and have been across the country with it. Driven it to Abuja, Kaduna, Lagos, Benin, Owerri, Ibadan and also across the Nigerian border (at least more than 2 times each). I have done about 70,000km with it and can reliably say its a good car. You treat it right by servicing it as at when due and making the necessary part repairs and it will reciprocate by taking you wherever you want to go.

Compared to the already established Japanese models that are more expensive, Hyundai is worth the money you pay for it.

Hyundai cars are at the same stage the Japanese cars were in Nigeria in the late 70s and early 80s. Nigerians looked at the Japanese cars then with skeptism because the Peugeots, Mercedes Benz and Volkswagen were the popular brands. But with time Nigerians have come to have faith in them. That is the same thing I expect to happen to Hyundai and Kia cars in Nigeria in the near future.

For your additional info, Hyundai and Kia are both owned by the same parent company in South Korea. They have the same engine and chasis but different body and interior designs. Hyundai is modelled to compete with Toyota while Kia is modelled to compete with Honda. They have certainly started to gain grounds on Toyota and Honda around the world. In Nigeria 2 different companies hold the dealership franchise. Stallion motors sells Hyundai while Dana motors sells Kia.
My God DANA again? we are in trouble.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Top 20 Used Cars To Avoid / Dad Forced To Pay ₦3.6m After 3-Year Old Daughter Scratched 10 Brand New Audis / My Advise To Anyone Buying A Nigerian Used Car Now

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.