Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,696 members, 7,805,856 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 07:26 AM

Us Assures Nigerians Of Visa Despite Boko Haram Threat - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Us Assures Nigerians Of Visa Despite Boko Haram Threat (4052 Views)

REFUSAL Of Visa And Seizure Of Passport By UK Embassy / Need List Of Visa Free Countries In Europe And Asia / Cancellation Of Visa At Uk Ports? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Us Assures Nigerians Of Visa Despite Boko Haram Threat by supereagle(m): 5:24am On Feb 01, 2012
United States Embassy has dismissed fears that the spate of terrorists attacks in the country would serve as an excuse to deny Nigerians visa to the US.

Addressing newsmen in Lagos, the Consular, Chief Carl Cockbum, said: “This year has been challenging for both Nigerians and Americans residing here (Nigeria) due to the violence in the North and recent nationwide strike but we have tried to provide information to assist them live their normal lives.

“The Consulate would maintain issuance of visa based on the usual criteria, which revolve around an applicant being able to supply all the requirements and convince the consular officers that he/she is willing to come back to Nigeria on the expiration of visa.”

Extending condolences to families of those who lost their lives during attacks by the Boko Haram sect, he said: “The truth is, after the September 2001 attack on the United States, a lot of things changed. The US Congress decided that consular officers have to be very strict and more careful in visa processing. Now US President Barack Obama is interested in legitimate travellers to the US, who will enjoy as well as contribute to US.”

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2012/02/us-assures-nigerians-of-visa-despite-boko-haram-threat/
Re: Us Assures Nigerians Of Visa Despite Boko Haram Threat by Lasinoh: 5:47am On Feb 01, 2012
Thank My God O!
I have almost finished with the immigration status of all my folk.
They can shut down after the last one in a couple of months.
Just one left! kiss
Re: Us Assures Nigerians Of Visa Despite Boko Haram Threat by Nobody: 6:32am On Feb 01, 2012
Lasinoh:

Thank My God O!
Just one left! kiss

Choi! Lasinoh! E be like say U̶̲̥̅̊ don forget me your boyfriend? So you no wan process my own ni? U̶̲̥̅̊ wan make I stay naija dey suffer abi? You nor try o.
Re: Us Assures Nigerians Of Visa Despite Boko Haram Threat by Nobody: 8:48am On Feb 01, 2012
Lasinoh:

Thank My God O!
Just one left! kiss

Abeg no forget that your grandpapa and grandmama, when una land for Khartoum, call me. I go come pick una,
Re: Us Assures Nigerians Of Visa Despite Boko Haram Threat by Damysa(f): 10:22am On Feb 01, 2012
^^^^^^ how much have u made so far, let's know and how did u invite people
Re: Us Assures Nigerians Of Visa Despite Boko Haram Threat by tellwisdom: 10:27am On Feb 01, 2012
I dont want U.S, but U.S wants me! # Why me?? cheesy
Re: Us Assures Nigerians Of Visa Despite Boko Haram Threat by babaowo: 10:33am On Feb 01, 2012
Even if there is bokoharam in lagos ,God forbid ooo!, those embassies especially US & UK will still remains in naija cus of huge amounts they are making everyday.
Re: Us Assures Nigerians Of Visa Despite Boko Haram Threat by executinal(m): 10:56am On Feb 01, 2012
babaowo:

Even if there is bokoharam in lagos ,God forbid ooo!, those embassies especially US & UK will still remains in naija cus of huge amounts they are making everyday.
gbam
Re: Us Assures Nigerians Of Visa Despite Boko Haram Threat by solomon111(m): 11:15am On Feb 01, 2012
Lasinoh:

Thank My God O!
Just one left! kiss
stupidity of the highest order!
Why am i not surprised?
Re: Us Assures Nigerians Of Visa Despite Boko Haram Threat by supereagle(m): 11:50am On Feb 01, 2012
Show me how to migrate there.
Lasinoh:

Thank My God O!
Just one left! kiss
Re: Us Assures Nigerians Of Visa Despite Boko Haram Threat by dejavus: 12:44pm On Feb 01, 2012
solomon111:

stupidity of the highest order!
Why am i not surprised?

How so, ?
Re: Us Assures Nigerians Of Visa Despite Boko Haram Threat by kizito96(m): 12:52pm On Feb 01, 2012
I watched the briefing on Channels. If you watch the lady that was speaking you will understand that they have not entirely relaxed their proceedure
Re: Us Assures Nigerians Of Visa Despite Boko Haram Threat by ccollins(m): 6:38pm On Feb 01, 2012
Vry vry true!
adasi678:

Thank My God O!
Just one left!
[i][/i][color=#990000][/color]

So I got this in my email this morning…

They call the Third World the lazy man’s purview; the sluggishly slothful and languorous prefecture. In this realm people are sleepy, dreamy, torpid, lethargic, and therefore indigent—totally penniless, needy, destitute, poverty-stricken, disfavored, and impoverished. In this demesne, as they call it, there are hardly any discoveries, inventions, and innovations. Africa is the trailblazer. Some still call it “the dark continent” for the light that flickers under the tunnel is not that of hope, but an approaching train. And because countless keep waiting in the way of the train, millions die and many more remain decapitated by the day.

“It’s amazing how you all sit there and watch yourselves die,” the man next to me said. “Get up and do something about it.”

Brawny, fully bald-headed, with intense, steely eyes, he was as cold as they come. When I first discovered I was going to spend my New Year’s Eve next to him on a non-stop JetBlue flight from Los Angeles to Boston I was angst-ridden. I associate marble-shaven Caucasians with iconoclastic skin-heads, most of who are racist.

“My name is Walter,” he extended his hand as soon as I settled in my seat.

I told him mine with a precautious smile.

“Where are you from?” he asked.

“Zambia.”

“Zambia!” he exclaimed, “Kaunda’s country.”

“Yes,” I said, “Now Sata’s.”

“But of course,” he responded. “You just elected King Cobra as your president.”

My face lit up at the mention of Sata’s moniker. Walter smiled, and in those cold eyes I saw an amenable fellow, one of those American highbrows who shuttle between Africa and the U.S.

“I spent three years in Zambia in the 1980s,” he continued. “I wined and dined with Luke Mwananshiku, Willa Mungomba, Dr. Siteke Mwale, and many other highly intelligent Zambians.” He lowered his voice. “I was part of the IMF group that came to rip you guys off.” He smirked. “Your government put me in a million dollar mansion overlooking a shanty called Kalingalinga. From my patio I saw it all—the rich and the poor, the ailing, the dead, and the healthy.”

“Are you still with the IMF?” I asked.

“I have since moved to yet another group with similar intentions. In the next few months my colleagues and I will be in Lusaka to hypnotize the cobra. I work for the broker that has acquired a chunk of your debt. Your government owes not the World Bank, but us millions of dollars. We’ll be in Lusaka to offer your president a couple of millions and fly back with a check twenty times greater.”

“No, you won’t,” I said. “King Cobra is incorruptible. He is …”

He was laughing. “Says who? Give me an African president, just one, who has not fallen for the carrot and stick.”

Quett Masire’s name popped up.

“Oh, him, well, we never got to him because he turned down the IMF and the World Bank. It was perhaps the smartest thing for him to do.”

At midnight we were airborne. The captain wished us a happy 2012 and urged us to watch the fireworks across Los Angeles.

“Isn’t that beautiful,” Walter said looking down.

From my middle seat, I took a glance and nodded admirably.

“That’s white man’s country,” he said. “We came here on Mayflower and turned Indian land into a paradise and now the most powerful nation on earth. We discovered the bulb, and built this aircraft to fly us to pleasure resorts like Lake Zambia.”

I grinned. “There is no Lake Zambia.”

He curled his lips into a smug smile. “That’s what we call your country. You guys are as stagnant as the water in the lake. We come in with our large boats and fish your minerals and your wildlife and leave morsels—crumbs. That’s your staple food, crumbs. That corn-meal you eat, that’s crumbs, the small Tilapia fish you call Kapenta is crumbs. We the Bwanas (whites) take the cat fish. I am the Bwana and you are the Muntu. I get what I want and you get what you deserve, crumbs. That’s what lazy people get—Zambians, Africans, the entire Third World.”

The smile vanished from my face.

“I see you are getting pissed off,” Walter said and lowered his voice. “You are thinking this Bwana is a racist. That’s how most Zambians respond when I tell them the truth. They go ballistic. Okay. Let’s for a moment put our skin pigmentations, this black and white crap, aside. Tell me, my friend, what is the difference between you and me?”

“There’s no difference.”

“Absolutely none,” he exclaimed. “Scientists in the Human Genome Project have proved that. It took them thirteen years to determine the complete sequence of the three billion DNA subunits. After they were all done it was clear that 99
Re: Us Assures Nigerians Of Visa Despite Boko Haram Threat by Olountoyin: 7:51pm On Feb 01, 2012
Re: Us Assures Nigerians Of Visa Despite Boko Haram Threat by Olountoyin: 7:54pm On Feb 01, 2012
Interesting material to read

Who is sending the guns to Nigeria?
By Osae BrownAs Nigerians were on the street protesting over fuel subsidy removal, a British based man was being arraigned in UK over the shipping of 80,000 rifles and pistols and 32 million rounds of ammunition to Nigeria. The shipment included 40,000 AK47 assault rifles, 30,000 rifles and 10,000 9mm pistols.According to a report by the BBC, the man whose name is Gary Hyde, shipped these huge arm cache without receiving permission from the relevant government department in the UK.Gary Hyde was not alone in this deal. It was carried out with his business partner Karl Kleber, a German national based in Germany, the court was told.The pair acted as middle men between two Polish companies acting for the Nigerian buyers and Chinese companies, the court heard, according to the BBC report. Both men received commission payments for the deals totaling around $1.3m (£840,000) or N351 million.The story apparently left several questions unanswered. Who were the Nigerian buyers? Were these guns really delivered to Nigeria eventually?It is also interesting that since this story broke out in the British media, the Nigerian government has not come out with any specific statement on it. Were these weapons imported by the Nigerian government? If they were not imported by the Nigerian government, have they made any efforts to trace the importers of these large numbers of weapons into the country? Thirty two million rounds of ammunition are enough to kill thirty two million Nigerians, assuming each bullet will kill a Nigerian? This may be an exaggeration, but there is no doubt that if there is this amount of guns and ammunition out there outside the control of the government, then every Nigerian has a serious course to be worried at this time.The reputation of Gary Hyde, the man at the centre of the storm shows that Nigerians have to be concerned that he has set his eyes on supplying arms to the country. A report in February 2011, in The Observer in UK shows that Hyde is also facing charges in the US for smuggling arms into the country. The Observer describes him as “Britain’s very own lord of war; an international arms dealer, whose chief currency is the AK-47 assault rifle”The Observer reports that US officials arrested Hyde in connection with the alleged illegal import into the US of almost 6,000 Chinese-produced AK-47 magazines, each capable of holding up to 75 rounds of ammunition.The Observer also quotes a Wiki leaks release of confidential US embassy cables which shows that in 2008 York Guns, where Gary Hyde is a director, tried to ship 130,000 of the assault rifles to Libya. The WikiLeaks revelation shows that Gary Hyde through his company acted as an intermediary between an unidentified Ukrainian arms manufacturer and Libyan officials. “The size of the deal raised eyebrows in diplomatic circles, as Libya has only 70,000 ground-force troops and these would be unlikely to use a weapon as dated as the AK-47. The cable noted that the export licence was rejected because the "UK is concerned that the intention may be to re-export the weapons, particularly to armed rebel factions backed by Khartoum and/or Ndjamena in the Chad/Sudan conflict".Kleber, Gary Hyde’s German partner also has a reputation that does not sit well with the authorities. The Observer reports that “in 2008 the German federal police agency, the BKA, launched an investigation into Kleber to determine whether he had been involved in "the illegal sale of machine guns via Croatia to Iraq". This was in response to allegations that companies linked to Hyde had sold tens of thousands of guns to Ziad Cattan, the former head of military procurement at the Iraq Defence Ministry, without an appropriate arms brokering licence. Cattan fled Iraq after a warrant was issued for his arrest amid allegations that he had siphoned off millions of dollars in corrupt deals.”What emerges from these reports is that the two men now being named in connection with supply of arms to Nigeria should raise serious concerns in Nigeria. Have they supplied some other arms into the country, that the authorities are not aware?The concern becomes even more real considering the fact that at the same time Gary Hyde was being arraigned in UK, the Ghanaian authorities intercepted a truck loaded with arms and ammunitions heading to Nigeria. The ammunitions included pump action rifles and live rounds. These arrests are coming at time the Boko Haram insurgence is getting worse in Northern Nigeria as bombs explode on almost on daily basis and masked men go on killing spree with sophisticated weapons. The activities of Boko Haram, the continuous crisis in Jos is no doubt raising serious concerns and fears of retaliation from other ethnic groups. Could this inflow of arms be linked to ethnic groups arming themselves? Are they arming themselves to defend themselves or to go on the offensive?This is a critical period in Nigeria’s history and all people of goodwill must stand up and douse the rising intention. As I said in my earlier post, the Rwanda trip will be a dangerous place for Nigeria to go. The government must also act and act fast.This is also the time the international community must come to the aid of Nigeria. It is clear that the Nigeria intelligence agencies do not have the capacity to deal with the emerging challenge. They must offer their help at this time. They cannot wait for a Rwandan type crisis to develop before they intervene. China, especially, should caution its business community. This is not the time to fuel the crisis in Nigeria for monetary gains. Nigeria is China’s biggest market in Africa. An unstable Nigeria will not be good for China’s long term economic interest.

Article culled from

http://osae-brown-insights..com/2012/01/who-is-sending-guns-to-nigeria.html
Re: Us Assures Nigerians Of Visa Despite Boko Haram Threat by imperiouxx(m): 1:10am On Feb 02, 2012
Lasinoh:

Thank My God O!
Just one left! kiss

Haba! na wetin dem dey call sellfishnes bi dis o grin

(1) (Reply)

Has Anyone Applied For Germany Blue Card / Dubai Bans Nigerians Singles Below 40 From Visiting / When You Go Clubbing: What Puts You Off?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.