Stats: 3,148,590 members, 7,801,688 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 08:19 PM

Arik Air Stewardess Jailed For Cocaine Smuggling - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Arik Air Stewardess Jailed For Cocaine Smuggling (11621 Views)

My Near Crash Experience With Arik Air Yesterday / Man Prevents Arik Air From Taking Off In Abuja (Photos) / 10 Most Attractive Airlines Stewardess. (2) (3) (4)

Arik Air Stewardess Jailed For Cocaine Smuggling by muami(m): 5:56pm On Feb 02, 2012
Air stewardess jailed for cocaine smuggling

02 February 2012

An air stewardess who was caught trying to smuggle cocaine into the UK has been jailed for five and a half years.

Chinwendu Uwakaonyenma Ogbonnaya, 29, from Lagos in Nigeria had flown into London's Heathrow airport as a member of crew on an Arik Air flight from Lagos on 18 December 2011.

During searches by UK Border Agency officers at the airport's crew clearance facility, searches of her luggage revealed that she was carrying a rucksack with a false back.

Officers discovered packages of cocaine hidden behind the false back.

Forensic tests later showed the packages contained approximately 2kg of high purity cocaine, which if cut and sold on the UK streets would have had an estimated value of £250,000.

Ogbonnaya claimed that she had been given the bag by a friend and that she was unaware it contained drugs. She later pleaded guilty to attempting to import a class A drug, and a judge at Isleworth Crown court in west London on Thursday 2 February 2012 sentenced her to five and a half years in prison.

She will also face deportation at the end of her sentence.

Assistant director Pete Avery, from the UK Border Agency's criminal and financial investigation team, said:

'The cocaine found here was of a very high purity and there is no doubt that had this woman not been stopped it would have ended up being cut and sold on the streets of London.

'Ogbonnaya sought to abuse her position as a crew member by bringing these drugs in. As a result she now faces a long time away from home and behind bars.

'UK Border Agency officers are on constant alert to keep class A drugs and other banned substances out of the UK and take them out of the supply chain before they reach the streets.'

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitecontent/newsarticles/2012/february/11stewardess-cocaine
Re: Arik Air Stewardess Jailed For Cocaine Smuggling by gulfer: 9:01am On Feb 03, 2012
muami:

Air stewardess jailed for cocaine smuggling

02 February 2012

An air stewardess who was caught trying to smuggle cocaine into the UK has been jailed for five and a half years.

Chinwendu Uwakaonyenma Ogbonnaya, 29, from Lagos in Nigeria had flown into London's Heathrow airport as a member of crew on an Arik Air flight from Lagos on 18 December 2011.

During searches by UK Border Agency officers at the airport's crew clearance facility, searches of her luggage revealed that she was carrying a rucksack with a false back.

Officers discovered packages of cocaine hidden behind the false back.

Forensic tests later showed the packages contained approximately 2kg of high purity cocaine, which if cut and sold on the UK streets would have had an estimated value of £250,000.

Ogbonnaya claimed that she had been given the bag by a friend and that she was unaware it contained drugs. She later pleaded guilty to attempting to import a class A drug, and a judge at Isleworth Crown court in west London on Thursday 2 February 2012 sentenced her to five and a half years in prison.

She will also face deportation at the end of her sentence.

Assistant director Pete Avery, from the UK Border Agency's criminal and financial investigation team, said:

'The cocaine found here was of a very high purity and there is no doubt that had this woman not been stopped it would have ended up being cut and sold on the streets of London.

'Ogbonnaya sought to abuse her position as a crew member by bringing these drugs in. As a result she now faces a long time away from home and behind bars.

'UK Border Agency officers are on constant alert to keep class A drugs and other banned substances out of the UK and take them out of the supply chain before they reach the streets.'

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitecontent/newsarticles/2012/february/11stewardess-cocaine
Efficient justice system will result in speedy conclusion to criminal cases. Nigeria, follow suit and decongest the courts and prisons.
Re: Arik Air Stewardess Jailed For Cocaine Smuggling by freecocoa(f): 9:19am On Feb 03, 2012
Chei obi'm o,I almost fainted on seeing that name,jesu,chi I think say na you o until I come see ogbonnaya for the name.

These people won't stop disgracing this country,good for her,she's even lucky she's serving her jail time there sef,atleast she go dey see food chop,someone with a well paid job,what was she thinking,with the way people are busted her common sense couldn't tell her it was suicide,fooolish girl,good redance(according to my neighbor)
Re: Arik Air Stewardess Jailed For Cocaine Smuggling by Nobody: 9:21am On Feb 03, 2012
lucenzo:

^^^^ your mama left nyansh.

@ Topic, i guess she ran out of luck, am suspecting many Airlines crews to be doing this, it's just a matter of whom ran out of luck
Re: Arik Air Stewardess Jailed For Cocaine Smuggling by Nobody: 9:22am On Feb 03, 2012
These people won't stop disgracing this country,good for her,she's even lucky she's serving her jail time there sef,atleast she go dey see food chop,someone with a well paid job,what was she thinking,with the way people are busted her common sense couldn't tell her it was suicide,fooolish girl,good redance(according to my neighbor) [/b]
[quote][/quote]
I concur
Re: Arik Air Stewardess Jailed For Cocaine Smuggling by norrisman: 9:29am On Feb 03, 2012
She'll be out in 2 years and eight months to enjoy the ill gotten gains of her previous succesfull trips. Oloshi oloriburuku!
Re: Arik Air Stewardess Jailed For Cocaine Smuggling by agiboma(f): 9:37am On Feb 03, 2012
seedord247 link=topic=861561.msg10110197#msg10110197 [quote author=freecocoa:

Chei obi'm o,I almost fainted on seeing that name,jesu,chi I think say na you o until I come see ogbonnaya for the name.

These people won't stop disgracing this country,good for her,she's even lucky she's serving her jail time there sef,atleast she go dey see food chop,someone with a well paid job,what was she thinking,with the way people are busted her common sense couldn't tell her it was suicide,fooolish girl,good redance(according to my neighbor)

I use to be an Air line stewardess and this stuff happens all the time, Even in developed countries crew members smuggle drugs for a fast payday, if she was successful the payoff would be a couple years salary, she just saw the money and not the repercussions
Re: Arik Air Stewardess Jailed For Cocaine Smuggling by AfricaFace(f): 9:37am On Feb 03, 2012
it beats my imagination how stupid some people could be.
why i would i take that kind of risk for just £250,000 approximately N6,500,000. Which is basically no money. she should be meets festac babes that carry drugs worth of N100,000,000. when caught they will use 1/3 to bail themselves and still make enough cash. unfortunately, the business did not work. she will spend 5.5 years in prison , by the time she comes out, she will be 34.5 years, daft
Re: Arik Air Stewardess Jailed For Cocaine Smuggling by 76Naira(m): 9:38am On Feb 03, 2012
Is this not an exclusive Yoruba party detailed below?

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-861138.0.html#msg10102496
Another Nigerian Jailed For Sham Marriages In The Uk

Ring leader Nigerian-born Phillips Onikoyi, 34, was jailed for five years after admitting conspiracy to breach immigration law.

His former partner[b] Olajumoke Ikoyi, 27[/b], was convicted of the same charge at Leicester Crown Court.

Esther Idowu, 32, Isaac Onikoyi, 22, and Olushola Oshingbade, 41, admitted at the same hearing to conspiring to breach immigration law.

Naija issues are not about tribe, We all need to change our ways.

Stop the lies & cheats & start creating good names for yourselves.
Re: Arik Air Stewardess Jailed For Cocaine Smuggling by Nobody: 9:39am On Feb 03, 2012
The most annoying thing is that the well bred/cultured( elite ) yorubas don't behave like the morons we have here.(seedord, bluetooth)
Re: Arik Air Stewardess Jailed For Cocaine Smuggling by tyson55(m): 9:39am On Feb 03, 2012
odiaero:

@ Topic, i guess she ran out of luck, am suspecting many Airlines crews to be doing this, it's just a matter of whom ran out of luck

Well said.

A lot of those stewardess are into this ish, It's just that she had a bad day and got caught.
Re: Arik Air Stewardess Jailed For Cocaine Smuggling by 76Naira(m): 9:41am On Feb 03, 2012
@ AfricaFace

What exactly is your point?
Re: Arik Air Stewardess Jailed For Cocaine Smuggling by denitro(m): 9:43am On Feb 03, 2012
Re: Arik Air Stewardess Jailed For Cocaine Smuggling by eghost247(m): 9:43am On Feb 03, 2012
very good
Re: Arik Air Stewardess Jailed For Cocaine Smuggling by Nobody: 9:48am On Feb 03, 2012
Stop fanning the embers of tribalism, THERE ARE CRIMINALS IN EVERY TRIBE! It isn't restricted to a certain tribe or people. PLS GROW UP!
Re: Arik Air Stewardess Jailed For Cocaine Smuggling by wizsultan: 9:49am On Feb 03, 2012
AfricaFace:

it beats my imagination how silly some people could be.
why i would i take that kind of risk for just £250,000 [/b]approximately [b]N6,500,000. Which is basically no money. [b]she should be meets [/b]festac babes that carry drugs worth of N100,000,000. when caught they will use 1/3 to bail themselves and still make enough cash. unfortunately, the business did not work. she will spend 5.5 years in prison , by the time she comes out, she will be 34.5 years,  daft

Next time take pain to use a calculator and the dictionary!!!
Re: Arik Air Stewardess Jailed For Cocaine Smuggling by muami(m): 9:50am On Feb 03, 2012
76Naira:

Is this not an exclusive Yoruba party detailed below?

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-861138.0.html#msg10102496
Another Nigerian Jailed For Sham Marriages In The Uk

Ring leader Nigerian-born Phillips Onikoyi, 34, was jailed for five years after admitting conspiracy to breach immigration law.

His former partner Olajumoke Ikoyi, 27, was convicted of the same charge at Leicester Crown Court.

Esther Idowu, 32, Isaac Onikoyi, 22, and Olushola Oshingbade, 41, admitted at the same hearing to conspiring to breach immigration law.

Well said!
Re: Arik Air Stewardess Jailed For Cocaine Smuggling by mbulela: 9:58am On Feb 03, 2012
Dec 18th and she has been jailed.
if it was in Nigeria, the case would not have been heard yet and if heard, the defence lawyers would have gotten a 3 months adjournment on the basis that her name was not properly spelt in the court documents or the judge would have gone on vacation.
Re: Arik Air Stewardess Jailed For Cocaine Smuggling by tunnytox(m): 9:59am On Feb 03, 2012
Too bad! I believe she has learnt a very hard lesson.
Re: Arik Air Stewardess Jailed For Cocaine Smuggling by KayDee4: 10:06am On Feb 03, 2012
76Naira:

Will they ever listen? Its like an incurable disease, some numbskulls keep trying to spark off cyber tribal wars here.
Re: Arik Air Stewardess Jailed For Cocaine Smuggling by babyboy3(m): 10:10am On Feb 03, 2012
Re: Arik Air Stewardess Jailed For Cocaine Smuggling by DeepSoul(f): 10:21am On Feb 03, 2012
AfricaFace:

why i would i take that kind of risk for just £250,000 approximately N6,500,000. Which is basically no money. she should be meets festac babes that carry drugs worth of N100,000,000. when caught they will use 1/3 to bail themselves and still make enough cash. unfortunately, the business did not work. she will spend 5.5 years in prison , by the time she comes out, she will be 34.5 years, daft

Firstly, you got ur calculations wrong, it's over N60,000,000.

Secondly, it sounds to me like you're trying to justify criminality on the basis of its "profitability". So when people carry drugs worth N100 mil, it's worth the risk? Smh

@Post:
This was caused by just ONE thing! GREED! I hope she learns her lesson at the end of her jail term
Re: Arik Air Stewardess Jailed For Cocaine Smuggling by FXKing2012(m): 10:38am On Feb 03, 2012
odiaero:

Wetin u dey find for here again? Abeg comot here now nowwwwwwwww
Re: Arik Air Stewardess Jailed For Cocaine Smuggling by sovpounds(m): 10:43am On Feb 03, 2012
When i saw the title of this thread even before i clicked it to open it i knew that 'arch-tribalists' would have made stupid posts trying to imply that one tribe commit crimes while others dont. To all 'arch-tribalists' there is NO tribe in Nigeria that does not have people who love and engage in crime. The truth is bitter but it must prevail.
Re: Arik Air Stewardess Jailed For Cocaine Smuggling by Nobody: 10:55am On Feb 03, 2012
@topic Really sad, really say, and this mess happens even happens locally in nigeria. But its all good tho, i hope by the time she is tru wit her time she will advise doing thesame to stay away. Abeg make una stop all this tribalistic talk its sickening , which tribe for naija wey no deh involve ni criminal activities. Rubbish
Re: Arik Air Stewardess Jailed For Cocaine Smuggling by justwise(m): 11:52am On Feb 03, 2012
@lucenzo, seedord, bluetooth. . . . .

You can make your comments without going tribal, any tribal comment will be deleted.
Re: Arik Air Stewardess Jailed For Cocaine Smuggling by ochukoccna: 12:02pm On Feb 03, 2012
Just 5 and a half years? shocked shocked shocked shocked
Re: Arik Air Stewardess Jailed For Cocaine Smuggling by justwise(m): 12:04pm On Feb 03, 2012
ochukoccna:

Just 5 and a half years? shocked shocked shocked shocked

She will only service half of that.
Re: Arik Air Stewardess Jailed For Cocaine Smuggling by deliceshop(m): 12:12pm On Feb 03, 2012
AfricaFace:

@AFRICAFACE

YOU BE OLODO NII ITS NOT 6,500,000 CALCULATE IT ABOUT N63,486,355.99K IF POUNDS IS N253 AND €300,736.57CENT IN EUROS IN US DOLLAR $396,109.36CENT BUT CDF356,479,885 IN CONGO CDF
SO SHE WOULD HAVE BEEN RICH THEN PEOPLE LIKE THIS DO NOT RESPECT PPL WHO WORK HARD TO EARN A LIVING LIKE IYA SIKIRA ALATA OR THE CASHIER AT THE BANK EVEN THE GENTILE PLOMBER OR THE ROAD SIDE MECO

SO GOOD FOR THE WE SHOULD TRY TO MAKE NIGERIA GREAT PROTECT THE IMAGE AND NOT DIRTY IT

VIVE NIGERIA LONG LIVE THE FED REB OF NIGERIA
Re: Arik Air Stewardess Jailed For Cocaine Smuggling by Konnektions146(m): 12:39pm On Feb 03, 2012
AfricaFace:

check the bolded again

in Nigerian Airports so many things happen and she just ran out of luck. she is not de 1st and wont be de last. quite a pity.
Re: Arik Air Stewardess Jailed For Cocaine Smuggling by ollyruffy: 12:51pm On Feb 03, 2012
This serves her right!
Re: Arik Air Stewardess Jailed For Cocaine Smuggling by Nobody: 1:33pm On Feb 03, 2012
FXKing2012:

Wetin u dey find for here again? Abeg comot here now nowwwwwwwww

Lol, U are wanted in forex thread, dont runaway yet

Dana Air Adds Boeing 737- 700 Aircraft To Fleet, To Commence ‘early Bird’’ Servi / Pitures Of Illegal Immigration To Europe. / Ethiopian Airlines Flight Schedule/prices To Enugu

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58