Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,460 members, 7,781,322 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 12:29 PM

. - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / . (7100 Views)

Dedicated To ALL Mothers With Stillbirth Or Lost Pregnancy. / I Saw This Inside My Younger Brothers Bag (photos) / Why do Fathers Love their Daughters More & Mothers their Sons? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

. by Nobody: 2:37am On Feb 03, 2012
Re: . by soapdish(f): 8:45am On Feb 03, 2012
Post Ɣђΰr email addy or mail me fyvic@yahoo.com
Re: . by tessybaby(f): 10:58am On Feb 03, 2012
yeah post ur email

soapdish
am adding you
Re: . by soapdish(f): 11:10am On Feb 03, 2012
Ok @ Tessybaby
Re: . by Nobody: 2:08pm On Feb 03, 2012
Email address is in my signature line and profile page. Thanks.
Re: . by agiboma(f): 2:26pm On Feb 03, 2012
my son is 18 months, so add me agiboma@gmail.com, then i can give you my bb pin
Re: . by tessybaby(f): 2:44pm On Feb 03, 2012
I think dis thread would be an interesting one.
Let's share our challenges

My daughter(who is a first child) is almost 18 months
born on the 9th of august 2010

She is too big for her age and smart too
when it comes to disturbing me, she will top
the list.

when i come back from work, all my neighbours wouldknow am back
coz she welcomes me with a very naughty cry. and she will keep on crying and hitting
her head on the floor for some time.
girls how do you deal with temper tantrums from toddlers?
Re: . by ada24: 3:26pm On Feb 03, 2012
tessy - when my 13 month old daughter wants to start her tantrum madness I show her that I have madness past her - when she cries, throws herself on the floor shaking her head and banging her head on all and sundry including my face (i'm lucky I haven't lost a tooth yet)

I do the same thing as her - that usually stops her, sometimes I just let her cry it out, but most times I try to distract her with a cartoon or video of herself on my phone - if all else fails I take her out of the house for a walk or bundle her into the car to go shopping
Re: . by Nobody: 3:37pm On Feb 03, 2012
Kids learn what they see. If I throw things she throws things. So I'vve learndd to watch my behavior and language. She's pretty laid back. I don't give in to tantrums and crying so she usually doesn't do tbose. If she's crying, she's either sleepy or hungry. We don't beat/hit her. We believe violence begets violence. Punishment wise, she gets time outs. So far it's working for us. She's well behaved. We avoid tv and sweets for the most part.
Re: . by soapdish(f): 3:52pm On Feb 03, 2012
Hi girls, my son is 23months, He started school last month. He usually doesn't cry even when he is hungry but since he started school he just changed. He cries at any slightest opportunity especially when I'm around. Don't know how to handle it cos he is my first.I don't believe in flogging, any ideas on how to handle this.
Re: . by ada24: 4:18pm On Feb 03, 2012
ATLgal:

Kids learn what they see. If I throw things she throws things. So I'vve learndd to watch my behavior and language. She's pretty laid back. I don't give in to tantrums and crying so she usually doesn't do tbose. If she's crying, she's either sleepy or hungry. We don't beat/hit her. We believe violence begets violence. Punishment wise, she gets time outs. So far it's working for us. She's well behaved. We avoid tv and sweets for the most part.

all kids are different - My daughter is not laid back, and I used to stress because of this but do u know what as long as she is happy i'm fine with the crying and attention seeking and non stop talking cos she gets that from me. I can't try and stop her being herself thats just the cross I have to carry.

I agree with the hitting thou cos they don't learn and they only hit you when they are annoyed cos thats what they see you do. She is much better now and is very well behaved most times, she has her moments, Now she will only cry if hungry or very tired or if she is doing a number 2 - lol - that one is the funny one.
Re: . by tessybaby(f): 4:20pm On Feb 03, 2012
ada
dat was funny
i can just imagine myself doing the same thing my daughter does
dat would stress me more

soapdish
what i do now is i try to distract her
but dat does not work all the time
Re: . by Nobody: 4:27pm On Feb 03, 2012
I underdtsnd. Kids are different. However they do learn from their environment. A kid in nigeria will not just start speaking cihinese. If she's not laidback, it may be because that's what u or other people around respond to. One has to be careful about those we have our kids around. I have a friend here and her daughter hits and pushes and snatches things from my daughter. I try not to get involved unless it's hitting. I don't want my kid to go to school and hit other kids. As for the snatchimg we don't snatch back, I simply ask for it back nicely. The other kid actd that way because thas what she experiences at home.
Re: . by ada24: 4:37pm On Feb 03, 2012
ATLgal, if a child is not laid back that is not a problem, my mum tells me that she is exactly like me and seeing that I am not laid back it doesn't give me sleepless nights - she doesn't snatch or get violent over toys cos she has so many that if a child snatches from her she either cries or plays with another toy. My daughter is not violent cos she doesn't see it, I think you are forgetting that toddlers are not fully grown adults and if u are expecting an 1-3 year old to conduct themselves in a manner that is considered "correct" then how will they learn.

If you expose your child in Nigeria to chinese then they will learn chinese, I don't get that point.
Re: . by Nobody: 4:46pm On Feb 03, 2012
Ada, my point exactly. If u expose them to chinese,
They don't learn chinese from no where.
I'm not saying toddlers should act like adults. You said u show ur daughter madness. That'ii only let her think it's ok to act that way. See my point? Every one has a different parenting style, short of child abuse, there's no "wrong" way
I'm only saying if u want the tantrums to stop then it might be best to ignore them by going in another room. We get a lot of our parenting style from our parents so it makes sense that ur mum says ur daughter is like u.
Re: . by tessybaby(f): 4:49pm On Feb 03, 2012
ATgal

i don't think at this tender age u can start associating a child being voilent
to her environment
i beleive it's just a stage
i know the environment can influence how she becomes later in future
my daughter cires and throws herself on the floor, hit her head, pinch and slap me.
where did she get dat from
she is an only child and there no other children in the house
she rarely goes out.

no body hits or pinch nobody at home
whenre did she learn dat from.

i read it's a stage and they grow out of it
Re: . by ada24: 4:52pm On Feb 03, 2012
my dear i'm not going to detail here my 24/7 parenting style - obviously she has time out, and the occasional ignoring but there have been times I COPY what she does and she stops, you have to understand that I know when its attention she wants and cos I know she gets this from me there is a fine line between giving in to this behaviour and letting her be herself which unfortunately she inherited from me. trust me she knows what the word naughty is even at her age.

I will be back she has just taken the cover over the heater, WTF. ooooooooo this child will give me high BP

BRB
Re: . by Nobody: 4:56pm On Feb 03, 2012
There'll alwayd be an exception to the case. May be ur daughter is the exception
As for my friend's daughter, the mother pinches her, and she gets smacked. A toddler doesn't understand why you can do certain things , but she can't.
If you observe u'll notice ur daughter likes to mimic you kncluding putting on ur bra and shoes.  
To be honest, I'm baffeled by the head hitting. I'll do some research and get back to you
Re: . by Nobody: 5:03pm On Feb 03, 2012
Ada
Seems I'm offending u, not my intention at all. I apologize.
I don't think there's any thing wrong with a child wanting attention.
I've founf that misic soothes kids. We have a cd n the car for when she gets bored. And kids can tear up the housd if they are kept in too long. So I put on some kiddie music videos (nursery songs with kids playing) and she plays n dances right along.
Re: . by ada24: 5:19pm On Feb 03, 2012
the head hitting is when she is extremely upset and puts her head back and forth so its not intentional.

ATLgal - when it comes to my daughter I can't be offended cos everyone has their ways of raising their child, my daughter is 13 months I have had comments since she was six months about me breastfeeding her - i haven't stopped and will stop when we are both ready. I would never tell someone how to raise their child cos I don't know what goes on in their homes so as an outsider I HAVE NO RIGHT to comment on what I observe.

My daughter is quite boisterous and talks a lot - trust me when I have a headache it does do my head in but knowing how she came to be here and what we both went thru for her to even be here today - I am thankful - they are only babies for a short time let them be babies I say.

I am not offended so don't worry.
Re: . by Nobody: 5:33pm On Feb 03, 2012
Ada,.what's your email address pls?
Re: . by ada24: 5:53pm On Feb 03, 2012
ATLgal:

Ada,.what's your email address pls?

just mailed you
Re: . by agiboma(f): 6:31pm On Feb 03, 2012
tessybaby:

I think dis thread would be an interesting one.
Let's share our challenges

My daughter(who is a first child) is almost 18 months
born on the 9th of august 2010

She is too big for her age and smart too
when it comes to disturbing me, she will top
the list.

when i come back from work, all my neighbours wouldknow am back
coz she welcomes me with a very naughty cry. and she will keep on crying and hitting
her head on the floor for some time.
girls how do you deal with temper tantrums from toddlers?

When my son has his tempr tantrums i let him roll on the ground and cry then he will get up and come to me still crying and hitting me, i cuddle him until he stops. He's my first baby and i dont beleive in beating him. I am not sure @ what age ii should start giving him "time outs". Does anyone know?
Re: . by tessybaby(f): 10:08am On Feb 05, 2012
Yesterday i had my daughter bathed and dressed
and while i was doing something in the kitchen
she slipped away from the living room where she was with her and
went to the bath. guess what? whne i came i found her in a bucket full
of
water having a second bath. looks like i did not do a great job of bathing her.
i was so stunned all i did was turn my face and smile (so she does not see my face)

then i go her out of the bucket and changed her

CHILDREN
Re: . by agiboma(f): 2:59pm On Feb 05, 2012
tessybaby:

of
i was so stunned all i did was turn my face and smile (so she does not see my face)

CHILDREN

hh yes, my son did something similar, yesterday we just got out of the bath, i dressed myself and he began to fuss, soi dressed him and then return to the room to finish getting dressed myself. Well not even 2 minutes lter he took the kettle in the kitchen and poured water all over his jeans shocked, all i did was laugh and changed him, wink
Re: . by soapdish(f): 4:15pm On Feb 05, 2012
Thank G☺d, it wasn't hot water
Re: . by agiboma(f): 5:51pm On Feb 05, 2012
soapdish:

Thank G☺d, it wasn't hot water

omg i know can you imagine and his uncle stood their and watched the whole process, men i tell you
Re: . by blank(f): 3:43pm On Feb 06, 2012
My boy made a new friend yesterday though an older boy (my boy is 11months and the other boy is almost 3years). The boy kept on being mean to him as he was younger and not as strong, throwing balls at him and pushing him off his bike. But my little trooper hung in there and took everything as play and was just excited to be running all over the place. After a while, they both curled up in the center of the room and fell asleep. Children are like angels. They forget easily.
When they both woke up, the older boy, brought him lunch and happily fed him then graciously brought his bike and helped my little boy ride it. It was quite amusing. They did not want to leave themselves at the end of the day.
Re: . by ronkebp(f): 3:50pm On Feb 06, 2012
tessybaby:

of

CHILDREN
grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin They are so precious!!!!!! Sometimes you will be looking for where to spank, but you won't find cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: . by ronkebp(f): 3:54pm On Feb 06, 2012
agiboma:

hh yes, my son did something similar, yesterday we just got out of the bath, i dressed myself and he began to fuss, soi dressed him and then return to the room to finish getting dressed myself. Well not even 2 minutes lter he took the kettle in the kitchen and poured water all over his jeans shocked, all i did was laugh and changed him, wink

grin grin grin, That is why i ''key'' him up in his swing, especially when we are dressing to go to church or his day care, he has to be keyed up, or else i will be changing him 2-3 time s before we leave the house, i bathe him, dress him, feed him and then have him sit in his swing till we are all ready to leave the house. smiley smiley smiley smiley
Re: . by MrsSiena1(f): 6:14pm On Feb 06, 2012
Mine is egbudje@gmail.com
Re: . by yemigirl(f): 7:40am On Feb 07, 2012
blank thats so sweet

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Today Is International Women's Day 2016: What Is It And Why Was It Set Up? / I Am Angry / Mother In-laws

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.