Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,495 members, 7,781,483 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 03:20 PM

$600,000 Stolen In Raid Of Bureau De Change At Airport - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / $600,000 Stolen In Raid Of Bureau De Change At Airport (9989 Views)

Nigeria, China Currency Swap Forces USD Rate Down: Bureau De Change Association / CBN To Replace Local Bureau-De-Changes With Travelex / Dangote All Smiles Over His $600 Million Dangote Cement Plant In Ethiopia (photo (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

$600,000 Stolen In Raid Of Bureau De Change At Airport by Nobody: 8:22am On Feb 03, 2012
$600,000 stolen in raid of Bureau de Change at airport
By Kelvin Osa- Okunbor 7 hours 6 minutes ago
Font size: Decrease font Enlarge font
US DOLLAR US DOLLAR

SUSPECTED armed robbers yesterday raided one of the car parks at the Murtala Muhammed International Airport (MMIA), Ikeja, Lagos. They shot sporadically as they carted away more than $600,000 (about N96 million) from the Bureau de Change operators.

According to a source, the suspects gained access into the car park of the international wing and opened fire to scare away those doing business .

As the people scampered to safety, a woman was allegely hit by a stray bullet. She was reportedly taken to a private hospital around the airport.

One of the operators, who confirmed the theft of over $600,000, blamed the incident on the porous security at the airport.

A police source at the Murtala Muhammed International Airport Command, said detectives have launched investigations into the matter.

Another source claimed that the suspects trailed some passengers, who brought the money to the airport to be changed to local currency.http://www.thenationonlineng.net/2011/index.php/news-update/35546-600-000-stolen-in-raid-of-bureau-de-change-at-airport.html

Re: $600,000 Stolen In Raid Of Bureau De Change At Airport by Jakumo(m): 9:34am On Feb 03, 2012
Ah yes, another Asset Re-Allocation Exercise is pulled off without a hitch at Nigeria's primary portal to the outside world.

Now then, enquiring minds want to know if foreign travellers were among those sighted SCAMPERING for DEAR life at the international airport terminal, in response to the SPORADIC shots fired by the DAREDEVIL gang of SUSPECTED robbers during this airport MODALITY.  Delving further, should injuries incurred while SCAMPERING be classified as sports injuries, or simply a fair price to be paid by the out-of-shape who attempted to sprint for the first time ever on that day ?       

It is also important that we be apprised as to whether groups of SYMPATHIZERS swarmed the crime scene after the robbers departed, in order to LAMENT and SCOOP the few loose bundles of local currency discarded by the visitors who favored the dollars and euros for compact transport to safe keeping.

Finally, punters must be re-assured that CRACK detectives have SWUNG into action, and will leave NO STONE UNTURNED, as they search with a FINE-TOOTHED-COMB in order  to FISH OUT the culprits behind this DASTARDLY deed.
Re: $600,000 Stolen In Raid Of Bureau De Change At Airport by FASTLINK1: 9:47am On Feb 03, 2012
Jakumo:

Ah yes, another Asset Re-Allocation Exercise is pulled off without a hitch at Nigeria's primary portal to the outside world.

Now then, enquiring minds want to know if foreign travellers were among those sighted SCAMPERING for DEAR life at the international airport terminal, in response to the SPORADIC shots fired by the DAREDEVIL gang of SUSPECTED robbers during this airport MODALITY.  Delving further, should injuries incurred while SCAMPERING be classified as sports injuries, or simply a fair price to be paid by the out-of-shape who attempted to sprint for the first time ever on that day ?       

It is also important that we be apprised as to whether groups of SYMPATHIZERS swarmed the crime scene after the robbers departed, in order to LAMENT and SCOOP the few loose bundles of local currency discarded by the visitors who favored the dollars and euros for compact transport to safe keeping.

Finally, punters must be re-assured that CRACK detectives have SWUNG into action, and will leave NO STONE UNTURNED, as they search with a FINE-TOOTHED-COMB in order  to FISH OUT the culprits behind this DASTARDLY deed.
utter rubbish sad
Re: $600,000 Stolen In Raid Of Bureau De Change At Airport by Jakumo(m): 9:49am On Feb 03, 2012
So tell us the whole story then, Fast Link. How fast did you run, if you are now denying that you are among those who SCAMPERED for DEAR life ?
Re: $600,000 Stolen In Raid Of Bureau De Change At Airport by FASTLINK1: 9:56am On Feb 03, 2012
Jakumo:

So tell us the whole story then, Fast Link.   How fast did you run, if you are now denying that you are among those who SCAMPERED for DEAR life ?
Lol at Jakumo,

I didn't know you had your own version of the story. I thought you were simply their legal representative.

I wasn't there, so I don't have anything to tell ya!
Re: $600,000 Stolen In Raid Of Bureau De Change At Airport by Jakumo(m): 10:00am On Feb 03, 2012
Oh, I misunderstood you, Fast Link.   Anyway, even though I have not yet earned by law degree, I do have a mail-order diploma hanging on the wall of my office, which definitely qualifies me to represent the airport crew, if the price is right, and the fee paid in US dollars beforehand to my trusted messenger.
Re: $600,000 Stolen In Raid Of Bureau De Change At Airport by 9icest: 5:01pm On Feb 03, 2012
Halleluyah. 1 less bokoharam sponsor.
Re: $600,000 Stolen In Raid Of Bureau De Change At Airport by Chnges(m): 5:05pm On Feb 03, 2012
Look at it!! Very Bad things are happening in lagos yet disabled f00ls comes here to spew bullshít from their mouth
Re: $600,000 Stolen In Raid Of Bureau De Change At Airport by http(m): 5:06pm On Feb 03, 2012
@ Jakumo lol grin you must be one dude on local gins or weedily world when reporting ur case grin

another fresh air at the airport abi?
Re: $600,000 Stolen In Raid Of Bureau De Change At Airport by Nobody: 5:15pm On Feb 03, 2012
Jakumo:

grin grin grin
Re: $600,000 Stolen In Raid Of Bureau De Change At Airport by juman(m): 5:17pm On Feb 03, 2012
Unfortunate
Re: $600,000 Stolen In Raid Of Bureau De Change At Airport by chelseabmw(m): 5:20pm On Feb 03, 2012
wow
Re: $600,000 Stolen In Raid Of Bureau De Change At Airport by purefella(m): 5:22pm On Feb 03, 2012
robbery robbery robbery na wa oooo
Re: $600,000 Stolen In Raid Of Bureau De Change At Airport by Nobody: 5:25pm On Feb 03, 2012
Wow. New folks just joined the millionaires club. Congrats to the robbers. Guess no life lost.
Re: $600,000 Stolen In Raid Of Bureau De Change At Airport by eros(m): 5:38pm On Feb 03, 2012
valacious:

Wow. New folks just joined the millionaires club. Congrats to the robbers. Guess no life lost.

grin grin grin grin Guy no let those malo catch u ooooo. What a sense of humour over a situation as serious and traumatizing as this.
Re: $600,000 Stolen In Raid Of Bureau De Change At Airport by tunde300us(m): 5:46pm On Feb 03, 2012
I am not surprised this happened at MMIA,the last time i went there i saw beggers at the entrance to the car park and even inside the place begging for money.Na that time it dawn on me that one day this guys will rob someone or just organise a hit and run situation.
Imagine you just came back from the US and at the car park people swam at you asking for money,se u go wan come back next time ?
Re: $600,000 Stolen In Raid Of Bureau De Change At Airport by KnowAll(m): 5:47pm On Feb 03, 2012
there is an inside man involve, they must find the mole. They get the mole, they get the gang-------------Shikena!!!!! cool
Re: $600,000 Stolen In Raid Of Bureau De Change At Airport by beackyBenneth: 6:13pm On Feb 03, 2012
embarassed embarassed embarassed embarassed embarassed embarassed embarassed embarassed embarassed embarassed embarassed embarassed embarassed
embarassed embarassed embarassed embarassed embarassed embarassed embarassed embarassed embarassed embarassed embarassed embarassed embarassed
Re: $600,000 Stolen In Raid Of Bureau De Change At Airport by velo10: 6:16pm On Feb 03, 2012
Security in Nigeria is bull-shyyt
Re: $600,000 Stolen In Raid Of Bureau De Change At Airport by expert555: 6:48pm On Feb 03, 2012
I’m so sorry to be indifferent, Nigeria education is dead (that is official) where on earth did the finance director the group accountant had their education.  They can’t even put a basic measures in place to secure a company front-line asset. One of the basics you learn atyear one at the University, you wonder why most of us in Europe chooses to do security guide or sweep the railway lines in Europe after graduating from some prestigious Universities than come and live among you. You people with your big mouth can’t even manage a poo. What on earth is $600,000 doing in one location? You are the laughing stock of the civilised world Lol.

I have said you people can’t rule a country I get shout down in this forum each time, look at South Africa with Jacob Zuma not even having a University degree asking her citizen to take private health insurance commencing from this month, because they knows is going to get more expensive for the government to bear on her own in future so they are encouraging their people to play a role so they can maintain the high standard of hospital care they inherited from whites.

Very soon your presidents and governors will be going there for medical treatment and claim 30 million Naira for it each time. The last time your government was trying to stop you borrowing to consume you were occupying Iroko tree because you have nothing to do. Fooooooooooooools
Re: $600,000 Stolen In Raid Of Bureau De Change At Airport by realborn(m): 6:53pm On Feb 03, 2012
@ expert666,

You must be deluded to have hurled all those insults for no just cause. You sounded overtly uneducated and rash. Poor communication. Learn to respect people. NL isn't for your crop. Tame your uncouth lame pipe and curtail spewing more gibberish herein.
Re: $600,000 Stolen In Raid Of Bureau De Change At Airport by knowledge4(m): 6:57pm On Feb 03, 2012
Do not blame airport security.
Even in America which has a more efficient security system, robberies still take place.
Why did they not keep the money in the banks in the MMIA?
In the BDC's offices,dont they have vaults?
Must they hold the physical currency as cash in hand or petty cash?
Bunch of illiterates in currency exchange!
Re: $600,000 Stolen In Raid Of Bureau De Change At Airport by FEMARY1: 7:05pm On Feb 03, 2012
May God replesh their loses.

Re: $600,000 Stolen In Raid Of Bureau De Change At Airport by plaetton: 7:10pm On Feb 03, 2012
Nigerians and our "God Forbid it" mentality.
There is a reason why in civilised societies, cashiers at banks and money centers sit behind bullet-proof glasses. I guess we have not figured that out yet.
Re: $600,000 Stolen In Raid Of Bureau De Change At Airport by Akiika: 7:11pm On Feb 03, 2012
The real question is, are those guys at the airport licensed to operate BDC? who regulates them? why would they risk having $600,000 cash at hand in a zero security environment like that? They should be arrested for encouraging "armed robbery", robbers will definitely don't come around if they know you don't have good money at your disposal.
Re: $600,000 Stolen In Raid Of Bureau De Change At Airport by SweetH20: 8:02pm On Feb 03, 2012
This looks like an inside job. An informant let the cat out. Why in the name of God will they have such a money on them? If they were doing legitimate business, you will have the money in the bank. Who goes and buy $50k from Aboki if you are not a politician or drug dealer?
Re: $600,000 Stolen In Raid Of Bureau De Change At Airport by moremi2008(m): 9:01pm On Feb 03, 2012
HAHAHA! This is great news! MMIA is THE WORST international airport I have ever seen with all those crooks and beggars hanging out right outside the doors terrorizing everybody! Maybe the crowd will dissipate once they rob them a few times! Crazy country run by crazy men.
Re: $600,000 Stolen In Raid Of Bureau De Change At Airport by member479760: 9:04pm On Feb 03, 2012
we know who did it!
Re: $600,000 Stolen In Raid Of Bureau De Change At Airport by Turbocharged: 9:54pm On Feb 03, 2012
This is d 'WHITEST" lie I hv heard dis yr. 1.Der is no BDC in MMIA park wat u hv is currency hawkers. 2.$600,000 or its =N= equiva can "never" b found there unless itz anoda MMIA. 3. No Mallam does biz above $5000 on d street, dey take u 2 d banks inside. 4.
Re: $600,000 Stolen In Raid Of Bureau De Change At Airport by Abrantie: 10:02pm On Feb 03, 2012
Nigeria needs to drop a few zeros from its currency. You guys price everything in thousands, millions or even billions. So how do you expect a BDC operator to know that $600,000 is way more than 600,000 Naira?
Re: $600,000 Stolen In Raid Of Bureau De Change At Airport by SamMilla1(m): 10:03pm On Feb 03, 2012
Danke jakumo. Sarcasm is the way out.
Re: $600,000 Stolen In Raid Of Bureau De Change At Airport by kizito96(m): 10:05pm On Feb 03, 2012
There must be inside colaboration

(1) (2) (Reply)

Dangote To Co-Chair World Economic Forum Meeting / How I Made N60000 In A Month Writing For A Nairalander: UPDATED / Inflation, Nigerians And The CBN: A Wrong Prescription

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.