Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,907 members, 7,802,951 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 04:53 AM

Brasil-carnaval 2012 - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Brasil-carnaval 2012 (1421 Views)

Traveling To Brasil / Dv 2012 Lottery Results Have Been Voided Due To Computer Programming Error. / Dv 2012 Result Is Out ! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Brasil-carnaval 2012 by zumbigbo(m): 5:48pm On Feb 03, 2012
Carnaval - Brasil 2012 arrives in the next 2 weeks.

So for my naija brothers and sisters who want to make sure dey no carry last, I will give you some carnaval tips. I speak as a full-time hedonist that has experienced carnivals in (Rio, Salvador, Miami (Opa-Locka), Notting Hill, Panafest, Fespaco, Trinidad and Tobago, Ouagadougou, Accra, Naples, Asmara and a few others that have passed into glorious technicolour memory).

Carnaval is like going to the gym, mek sure u go stretch your body well well, wear comfortable footwear and clothing, No jewellery or watch, put any money you have (notes-reais) in your sock. Eat full breakfast as once your favourite drink hits your bloodstream around midday, you will need stomach power to absorb everything, otherwise you could be early casualty. You will see them sitting by roadside, rubbing head with two K-leg.

Bom dia (Good day) - pronounced bom jia - they love foreigners that make an effort.

Voce estar bem - How are you

Eu te amo - I love you

Eu quero te dar prazer - I want to give you pleasure.

Say all four phrases repeatedly to anyone, you will either get a slap, which aids alcohol ingestion or a woman or man will want to taste the intimate parts of your body with their tongue.

Rio de Janeiro - Samba schools are good
Salvador - hit the Pelourinho
Vitoria - ES - women to man ratio is 5:1 - I lost my mind, wallet and sanity in this place. Women here love African men too much, they kept on begging to hear words in Igbo, once I laid down Igbo phrases, na food and booty aplenty.

Sao Paulo is like New York only 3 times bigger, my idea of hell on earth, no beach either.

Abeg any other brasil-ophiles, with handy tips for my people about to have the time of their lives. tongue
Re: Brasil-carnaval 2012 by Nobody: 8:26pm On Feb 03, 2012
in Brasil, you say TUDO BOM/COMO VAI for how are you.

Rio carnaval is like debauchery at its best, gf (or significant other) should NOT be brought along!!!!!
sadly, many people think that the images they see on TV about the carnaval, happens in the street. that is the biggest misconception of the Rio carnaval. all the big parade with glitzy costumes from the different samba school happen in ONE PLACE only, and thats in the Sambadrome (like a huge stadium for samba parade). the Sambadrome is very expensive for tourist (and can be quite boring after a couple of schools), and i will recommend instead to enjoy the carnaval in the various blocos (street parties) all around the city. you may even be lucky and catch a glance of the rehearsing top schools around the Sambadrome before the big show.
Re: Brasil-carnaval 2012 by babaowo: 8:52pm On Feb 03, 2012
brasil ideed is a place to be
Re: Brasil-carnaval 2012 by babaowo: 8:55pm On Feb 03, 2012
is indeed good place to be very beautiful place
Re: Brasil-carnaval 2012 by Fhemmmy: 9:16pm On Feb 03, 2012
Will be looking forward to pix . . .
Re: Brasil-carnaval 2012 by zumbigbo(m): 2:45am On Feb 04, 2012
Thank you for the corection Mr. Jay, Each one, teach one.

To be honest, I prefer the smaller towns/interior areas in Brasil where life is slower and you can spend 2 hours talking to a stranger about IMF macro-economic policy then discuss, just as feverishly the Flamengo v Fluminense derby. I had a great time in Vitoria (Espirito Santo) and in Ilheus (Bahia) and would advise anyone to take a look off the beaten track once you get to Brasil.

In Salvador, I chewed through the acaraje/which we call akara methodically and played midnight beach football (barba) with the locals who loved hearing about stories from Naija and Europe.

In fact, I am planning a big 2014 - three month World cup sojourn as I have no intention of going to Quatar or Russia>
Re: Brasil-carnaval 2012 by MRBrownJ: 12:20am On Feb 05, 2012
^^ you are absolutely right, the Salvador carnaval is viewed as the BEST carnaval in Brasil, by the locals.
yes the glitzy samba school parade is more grand in Rio, but most say that the party atmosphere in Salvador is ten times better than Rio and that the parade in Salvador last longer. also, as i heard, carnaval season in Salvador is a lil more dangerous compare to Rio.

as for Brasilian lifestyle, i also prefer cities away from Rio (although Rio IS paradise), i particularly like Floripa but sadly it is a bit frisky during the winter months, and anywhere up north is just marvelous, especially Aracaju, Recife, Natal, Fortaleza. . . . . . .the people, the lifestyle, the food etc. sadly jobwise, it isnt as good as Rio/SP in the north.

also many people dont know that living in Rio or SP is as expensive as living in NY/London or Paris. the only difference in Rio is the fantastic beaches/lifestyle.
Re: Brasil-carnaval 2012 by zumbigbo(m): 12:52am On Feb 07, 2012
Kai, Brasil too much, mek I tell you funny story.

I was in this back-street bar in the outskirts of Salvador (Praia do Flamengo), when a brother overheard me speaking broken Portuglish. I had to make myself understood by any means. He just hugged me like we grew up together and started salivating. When he calmed down he began to tell me his story.

He grew up in Tema, Ghana before following his cousin to work in Onitsha market selling wares. He then returned back to Ghana at 20 yrs and his step-mother and father were treating him badly (no food, hitting him for any reason- she even poured hot water on his leg). He decided he must leave by any means, so he went to the docks and managed to get on a ship and stow-away in the hold. He was there for three days before he made himself known to the ship crew. They were from Korea so he could not understand them, but he kept on hearing america, so he was happy he was finally on his way. These people were very kind, gave him noodles to boil every day. water to bath etc, He jumped ship and thought he was in Miami or Houston as it was hot, O and everything was developed well, well. So he ran up to any black person he saw and started speaking his broken english, they could not undertstand him. He then ran into a barber's shop and they pointed to a map on the wall and pointed to Brasil. It was only then that he realised that he was in Brasil, America do Sul and not Miami, USA.

No stress, ten years later, he has family, a bar and is one of the main African music DJ's in Brasil. See link for where to catch him in Salva. His bar is called Sankofa. DJ George

http://www.bahia-online.net/happenings.htm
Re: Brasil-carnaval 2012 by damola1: 12:59am On Feb 07, 2012
i dey feel u die!, i dey dream, dream dream to come be like you
Re: Brasil-carnaval 2012 by Nobody: 2:40am On Feb 07, 2012
zumbigbo:

Kai, Brasil too much, mek I tell you funny story.

I was in this back-street bar in the outskirts of Salvador (Praia do Flamengo), when a brother overheard me speaking broken Portuglish. I had to make myself understood by any means. He just hugged me like we grew up together and started salivating. When he calmed down he began to tell me his story.

He grew up in Tema, Ghana before following his cousin to work in Onitsha market selling wares. He then returned back to Ghana at 20 yrs and his step-mother and father were treating him badly (no food, hitting him for any reason- she even poured hot water on his leg). He decided he must leave by any means, so he went to the docks and managed to get on a ship and stow-away in the hold. He was there for three days before he made himself known to the ship crew. They were from Korea so he could not understand them, but he kept on hearing america, so he was happy he was finally on his way. These people were very kind, gave him noodles to boil every day. water to bath etc, He jumped ship and thought he was in Miami or Houston as it was hot, O and everything was developed well, well. So he ran up to any black person he saw and started speaking his broken english, they could not undertstand him. He then ran into a barber's shop and they pointed to a map on the wall and pointed to Brasil. It was only then that he realised that he was in Brasil, America do Sul and not Miami, USA.

No stress, ten years later, he has family, a bar and is one of the main African music DJ's in Brasil. See link for where to catch him in Salva. His bar is called Sankofa. DJ George

http://www.bahia-online.net/happenings.htm

what a great story, i will try my best to check his place out the next time i am in the north. i really enjoy the northern part of Brasil, and the warm beaches/weather seems to be perfect. the North of Brazil is filled with Afro roots and the Yoruba language. . . . . . . . . . . to me, it's just Africa in South America.

(1) (Reply)

President Jonathan’s Home Under Water In Bayelsa Flood (PHOTO) / Nigerian Restaurants Abroad / How Do I Secure Visa To Japan ? Am A First Timer

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.