Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,308 members, 7,808,044 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 05:35 AM

Tattoo On The Body Is Evil - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Tattoo On The Body Is Evil (9956 Views)

Reasons Why Yoruba Religion(aborisa) Is Evil / According To Jesus, Yahweh Is Evil. / Bishop Oyedepo Is Evil (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Tattoo On The Body Is Evil by Nobody: 10:16pm On Jan 09, 2013
lol.

well that makes me evil then. grin
NOT!! I am probably one of the kindest, warm-hearted, and compassionate people
on this planet despite being inked!! kiss kiss

tattoos don't make us.
our minds, hearts and deeds do. wink

1 Like

Re: Tattoo On The Body Is Evil by FXKing2012(m): 6:45am On Jan 10, 2013
*Kails*:
lol.

well that makes me evil then. grin
NOT!! I am probably one of the kindest, warm-hearted, and compassionate people
on this planet despite being inked!! kiss kiss

tattoos don't make us.
our minds, hearts and deeds do. wink

But you are wrong sir! It is a directive from God not to damage our body in any way because the body does not belong to us but to Him. That is why it is a sin to commit suicide. Damaging the body God put in your care is sin before God despite your being "nice".
Re: Tattoo On The Body Is Evil by Nobody: 7:05am On Jan 10, 2013
Is shaving a sin too?
Re: Tattoo On The Body Is Evil by TerryCarr(m): 7:13am On Jan 10, 2013
musKeeto: Is shaving a sin too?
it is if your a Sikh grin. they don't cut their hair EVER!

shocked

if he did cut her hair he will be rich. lots of weaves for black women grin
Re: Tattoo On The Body Is Evil by Nobody: 7:20am On Jan 10, 2013
Leviticus 19:27 "'Do not cut the hair at the sides of your head or clip off the edges of your beard.
Re: Tattoo On The Body Is Evil by FXKing2012(m): 7:39am On Jan 10, 2013
musKeeto: Leviticus 19:27 "'Do not cut the hair at the sides of your head or clip off the edges of your beard.

Pls stop quoting old testament and the Mosaic law; we dont live in the old testament neither are we under the law. We live in the new testament and we function by grace. But for obvious reasons I dont expect you to understand this.
Re: Tattoo On The Body Is Evil by Nobody: 7:53am On Jan 10, 2013
FXKing2012:

Pls stop quoting old testament and the Mosaic law; we dont live in the old testament neither are we under the law. We live in the new testament and we function by grace. But for obvious reasons I dont expect you to understand this.
Good, good, now post NT verses regarding tatoos...

Cos, last I checked, this quote you supported earlier
jacobscros: leviticus 19:28
is also old testament..

Like I said earlier, stop validating your obvious aversions to tattoos with stupid scriptural verses that have no place in today's world...
Re: Tattoo On The Body Is Evil by FXKing2012(m): 8:57am On Jan 10, 2013
musKeeto:
Good, good, now post NT verses regarding tatoos...

1 Corinthians 6:19-20 “Do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit, who is in you, whom you have received from God? You are not your own; you were bought at a price. Therefore honor God with your body.”

1 Timothy 2:9 "Likewise also that women should adorn themselves in respectable apparel, with modesty and self-control, not with braided hair and gold or pearls or costly attire."

Simply because people do these things don't make them right before God.
Re: Tattoo On The Body Is Evil by 2good(m): 9:02am On Jan 10, 2013
FXKing2012:

1 Corinthians 6:19-20 “Do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit, who is in you, whom you have received from God? You are not your own; you were bought at a price. Therefore honor God with your body.”

1 Timothy 2:9 "Likewise also that women should adorn themselves in respectable apparel, with modesty and self-control, not with braided hair and gold or pearls or costly attire."

Simply because people do these things don't make them right before God.

You still did not quote where the bible was specific about tatoo. What also happened to people whose body was disfigured by accident? Or those who were born deformed from birth? Why did thesame god allow them to have the accident or be born deformed? Try and reason well before you respond to people's post.

2 Likes

Re: Tattoo On The Body Is Evil by Nobody: 9:05am On Jan 10, 2013
Lol, none of those verses there mention tattoos.

I could also the verses mean that you stay away from danger or make sure you don't fall, so u don't have scars on your body, or broken arms and jaws.

Depending on how crazy an individual is, he could also interprete those same verses to mean do not do surgeries or operations that leave marks on the body.

It could also apply to cutting your hair, wearing sun glasses, the kind of deodorants you spray.

We could as well apply it to our diets, maybe enforce a limit to calories intake, make exercising compulsory for Christians (not your body, but Gods, keep it fit for God)..

But you Sir, naturally hate tattoos. And yes, there's a verse that says nothing about tattoos but you want it to mean that.

I'm out of this thread. Not a sucker for hypocrisy, deceit, pride and envy.
Re: Tattoo On The Body Is Evil by FXKing2012(m): 9:43am On Jan 10, 2013
musKeeto:

I'm out of this thread. Not a sucker for hypocrisy, deceit, pride and envy.

Pls dont let the door hit you in the face on your way out. Ignorance is a disease.
Re: Tattoo On The Body Is Evil by FXKing2012(m): 9:52am On Jan 10, 2013
2good:

You still did not quote where the bible was specific about tatoo. What also happened to people whose body was disfigured by accident? Or those who were born deformed from birth? Why did thesame god allow them to have the accident or be born deformed? Try and reason well before you respond to people's post.

It is not possible for the Bible to mention every sin by name; smoking is not specifically mentioned in the Bible but we as Christians know it's a sin based on the verses I quoted earlier.
Those who were born with marks, had surgery which left them with marks or had accident leaving them with marks on their bodies can not be considered as sin because it was not intentional and not even their own doing.

The Bible is not a story book or a novel; it's a spiritual food from God which requires a certain level of spirituality to understand it, that is why I laugh whenever I see scholars or atheists trying to interpret the Bible.
Re: Tattoo On The Body Is Evil by 2good(m): 9:57am On Jan 10, 2013
FXKing2012:

It is not possible for the Bible to mention every sin by name; smoking is not specifically mentioned in the Bible but we as Christians know it's a sin based on the verses I quoted earlier.
Those who were born with marks, had surgery which left them with marks or had accident leaving them with marks on their bodies can not be considered as sin because it was not intentional and not even their own doing.

The Bible is not a story book or a novel; it's a spiritual food from God which requires a certain level of spirituality to understand it, that is why I laugh whenever I see scholars or atheists trying to interpret the Bible.

I'm also out of this thread because your intelligence is just too low for me to engage with you in a rational discussion.
Re: Tattoo On The Body Is Evil by FXKing2012(m): 10:03am On Jan 10, 2013
2good:

I'm also out of this thread because your intelligence is just too low for me to engage with you in a rational discussion.

I'm glad I finally chased all the atheists off my thread. Atheism is a tumor that must be rooted out early before it spreads and contaminates the entire body.
And by the way, I can not be rational when dealing with the things of God because you simply can not rationalize God. But of course you dont know this which is why you are an atheist.
Re: Tattoo On The Body Is Evil by Snowwy: 6:45pm On Jan 10, 2013
Frankly speaking @OP, I am quite disappointed at the way you started and handled this topic.
Some valid points were raised that you could have done better justice to than saying that the OT should not be quoted.
It will be very hypocritical of you to have the OT as part of your bible then.
Please prayerfully seek for insight in the word of God which is documented in the whole 66 books of the bible. Stop taking away from the scriptures.
Re: Tattoo On The Body Is Evil by FXKing2012(m): 5:36am On Jan 11, 2013
@snowwy, truthfully I question your understanding of the Bible. Do you really know why we even have the OT in the Bible when we actually live in the new testament? Many of the things in the OT dont apply to us today such as animal sacrifice, the Mosaic law, etc.

The OT was written and included in the Bible for our learning; it is there for us to know where we are coming from as Christians.
There is the need to fully understand why we have the OT in order to know how and when to quote it.

2 Corinthians 5:17 - Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; old things have passed away; behold, all things have become new.

You need to pray for the Spirit of understanding.
Re: Tattoo On The Body Is Evil by Joagbaje(m): 6:31am On Jan 11, 2013
What ever you do with your body by the reason of decoration or whatsoever does not constitute sin. It's a matter of personal choice. But the more mature you are as a christian the more you see the vanity of things which does not have eternal value. It's a matter of your personal conviction by the truth you know. Some. Things though harmless but they very unnespcessary

1Corinthians 6:12
All things are lawful unto me, but all things are not expedient:all things are lawful for me, but I will not be brought under the power of any.

1 Corinthians 13:11
When I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child:but when I became a man, I put away childish things.

In addition . The condemnation of tattoo in the Old Testament is not in making markings on the body but rather the idolatory they represent.

Leviticus 19:28
Ye shall not make any cuttings in your flesh for the dead, nor print any marks upon you:I am the Lord.

You can see here . It says they should not put mark on the body for "THE DEAD". (Ritualistic) not decorative
Re: Tattoo On The Body Is Evil by MrAnony1(m): 6:46am On Jan 11, 2013
FXKing2012: Those of you with tattoos on your body, pls note that it is evil and could land you in hell. The Bible says your body does not belong to you and thus you must not do anything to tarnish it. So it is evil to do anything that damages your body such as tattooing, smoking, drinking too much, etc.
My dear friend, I am afraid I disagree with you on this one. I used to be in your shoes before especially in the Nigerian context where we reduce christianity to people that don't smoke, don't drink, don't plait weavon e.t.c. but in my journey with Christ I have come across Christians that do all the so called "bad things" and I can't biblically reprimand them. For instance in some of the christian fellowships I've attended, we drink and smoke while we share the Word. I don't smoke and drink personally but I can't put a burden on people when the Holy Spirit has not put it on them.

I once met a guy who recently got born again so in his excitement, he went and got himself a tattoo of a cross on his triceps. Another guy got himself a tattoo of the whole of Psalm 23 on his back. What would you say to them? "You were saved last week but now your salvation is revoked because you got yourself tattooed to the glory of God" Is that what your bible teaches you? Is the sacrifice of Christ now reduced to body ink?

Did Paul not say this about eating food offered to idols for instance:

....And because of your knowledge shall the weak brother perish, for whom Christ died? But when you thus sin against the brethren, and wound their weak conscience, you sin against Christ. . . . 1Cor 8:11-12

While I understand where you are coming from, I plead with you my brother please let us not - in our love and undying zeal for God- be like the pharisees and put an extra yoke on our brothers. Remember that Christ died for them too.

Please give this video a look if you can

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6L7v6IY_tKI&list=PL26524DA9664D92C5&index=23
Re: Tattoo On The Body Is Evil by PAGAN9JA(m): 7:03am On Jan 11, 2013
TerryCarr: it is if your a Sikh grin. they don't cut their hair EVER!

if he did cut her hair he will be rich. lots of weaves for black women grin

both are boyz.
Re: Tattoo On The Body Is Evil by Snowwy: 11:17am On Jan 11, 2013
FXKing2012: @snowwy, truthfully I question your understanding of the Bible. Do you really know why we even have the OT in the Bible when we actually live in the new testament? Many of the things in the OT dont apply to us today such as animal sacrifice, the Mosaic law, etc.

The OT was written and included in the Bible for our learning; it is there for us to know where we are coming from as Christians.
There is the need to fully understand why we have the OT in order to know how and when to quote it.

2 Corinthians 5:17 - Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; old things have passed away; behold, all things have become new.

You need to pray for the Spirit of understanding.

2 Timothy 3:16
ALL Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness

Please refrain from creating a new doctrine of not quoting the OT. It is a doctrine of the devil.
Re: Tattoo On The Body Is Evil by FXKing2012(m): 12:26pm On Jan 11, 2013
Snowwy:

2 Timothy 3:16
ALL Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness

Please refrain from creating a new doctrine of not quoting the OT. It is a doctrine of the devil.

Pls re-read my comment, I never said the OT should not be quoted; I only said we should be careful how we quote the OT cos many of the things in the OT are meant for our learning and do not apply to us today. I gave example of animal sacrifice which was acceptable in the OT but not anymore cos Jesus has paid it all.
Re: Tattoo On The Body Is Evil by Nobody: 12:52pm On Jan 11, 2013
FXKing2012: Those of you with tattoos on your body, pls note that it is evil and could land you in hell. The Bible says your body does not belong to you and thus you must not do anything to tarnish it. So it is evil to do anything that damages your body such as tattooing, smoking, drinking too much, etc.

Lmao! If these are some of the prerequisite for making heaven then God isn't love afterall! Why would a loving God make such laws so that 99.9% of the world's population burn in hell? Smh at this God!!!
Re: Tattoo On The Body Is Evil by FXKing2012(m): 1:19pm On Jan 11, 2013
Mr_Anony:
My dear friend, I am afraid I disagree with you on this one. I used to be in your shoes before especially in the Nigerian context where we reduce christianity to people that don't smoke, don't drink, don't plait weavon e.t.c. but in my journey with Christ I have come across Christians that do all the so called "bad things" and I can't biblically reprimand them. For instance in some of the christian fellowships I've attended, we drink and smoke while we share the Word. I don't smoke and drink personally but I can't put a burden on people when the Holy Spirit has not put it on them.

I once met a guy who recently got born again so in his excitement, he went and got himself a tattoo of a cross on his triceps. Another guy got himself a tattoo of the whole of Psalm 23 on his back. What would you say to them? "You were saved last week but now your salvation is revoked because you got yourself tattooed to the glory of God" Is that what your bible teaches you? Is the sacrifice of Christ now reduced to body ink?

[b]It's ok to disagree with me bro, but the fact that people say the world has changed and so we must change with it is something I just dont buy. The Word of God is the same yesterday, today and forever so it does not matter what people think or say, or how they try to twist the Bible to suit their way of life, cravings and desires. I'm an ardent believer in the Word and we must not allow changing times to affect our interpretation of the Bible.

For example,1 Timothy 2:9 says "Likewise also that women should adorn themselves in respectable apparel, with modesty and self-control, not with braided hair and gold or pearls or costly attire."
The fact that people dont obey this scripture does not make it ineffective cos the Word of God remains true for evermore.

Another example,Matthew 23:9 says "And do not call anyone on earth ‘father,’ for you have one Father, and he is in heaven." Now people call our pastors "Father" despite Jesus expressly and explicitly telling us not to call anyone father here on earth. He was talking about spiritual father which is what people call our pastors. Now, the scripture remains true whether people abide by it or not.

Now why would anyone tattoo the cross or the scripture on his body when we have been told not to damage our bodies. How does it even glorify God? So does bowing to the "image of Jesus" or bowing to the Bible glorify God? Pls we shld be careful how we twist the interpretation of the Word.

I'm not here to judge cos God is the only Judge, but I just believe it is best to abide by the Word whether it is convenient or not, and not try to twist the Bible to suit us.[/b]

1 Like

Re: Tattoo On The Body Is Evil by Nobody: 2:25pm On Jan 11, 2013
^^^^
Finally, a true Christian. One who abides by the Word.
Re: Tattoo On The Body Is Evil by FXKing2012(m): 6:15am On Jan 17, 2013
musKeeto: ^^^^
Finally, a true Christian. One who abides by the Word.
Yes.
Re: Tattoo On The Body Is Evil by ijawkid(m): 6:34am On Jan 17, 2013
FXKing2012:

[b]It's ok to disagree with me bro, but the fact that people say the world has changed and so we must change with it is something I just dont buy. The Word of God is the same yesterday, today and forever so it does not matter what people think or say, or how they try to twist the Bible to suit their way of life, cravings and desires. I'm an ardent believer in the Word and we must not allow changing times to affect our interpretation of the Bible.

For example,1 Timothy 2:9 says "Likewise also that women should adorn themselves in respectable apparel, with modesty and self-control, not with braided hair and gold or pearls or costly attire."
The fact that people dont obey this scripture does not make it ineffective cos the Word of God remains true for evermore.

Another example,Matthew 23:9 says "And do not call anyone on earth ‘father,’ for you have one Father, and he is in heaven." Now people call our pastors "Father" despite Jesus expressly and explicitly telling us not to call anyone father here on earth. He was talking about spiritual father which is what people call our pastors. Now, the scripture remains true whether people abide by it or not.

Now why would anyone tattoo the cross or the scripture on his body when we have been told not to damage our bodies. How does it even glorify God? So does bowing to the "image of Jesus" or bowing to the Bible glorify God? Pls we shld be careful how we twist the interpretation of the Word.

I'm not here to judge cos God is the only Judge, but I just believe it is best to abide by the Word whether it is convenient or not, and not try to twist the Bible to suit us.[/b]

Good one bro........keep it up.....
Re: Tattoo On The Body Is Evil by Goshen360(m): 8:04am On Jan 17, 2013
Okay, FXKing2012,

I fully understand you and I believe you're right. Our body doesn't belong to us ANYMORE ONLY AFTER we come to Christ. Personally, I'm tattoo craze on women because I personally love it but I don't see any biblical reason why any Christian AFTER being born again will wear tattoo, I mean AFTER born again experience. That will be against scriptures according to the verses you raised.

Apostle Paul said, "the life I NOW life, that is AFTER BEING CRUCIFIED WITH CHRIST, is no longer my life but Christ that lives in me, I only live in my body by faith.

Those who say Christians can do whatever they like with their body errs in the very face of the New testament scriptures you quoted.

That being said, we need to address two issues here:

1. Tribal mark isn't done by people who carry it but most of them by the parent when the child is young. Therefore, when such child(ten) come to Christ, they're not responsible for such tribal marks. God is not going to punish them for such before and after they come to Christ.

2. Those who have tattoos BEFORE they're born again. God is not going to punish them for such. Why? Old things are gone if anyone be in Christ, all things are now new. That's new creation and in new creation, we're not given a new or another body, it's still the same body if the person if tattooed.

1 Like

Re: Tattoo On The Body Is Evil by FXKing2012(m): 8:53am On Jan 17, 2013
Joagbaje: What ever you do with your body by the reason of decoration or whatsoever does not constitute sin.

You are very wrong sir, read the following Bible passages:
1 Timothy 2:9
"Likewise also that women should
adorn themselves in respectable
apparel, with modesty and self-
control, not with braided hair and
gold or pearls or costly attire."

Leviticus 19:28
New International Version (NIV)
'‘Do not cut your bodies for the
dead or put tattoo marks on
yourselves. I am the LORD.
Re: Tattoo On The Body Is Evil by Nobody: 8:56am On Jan 17, 2013
What an embarassing thread...

You say the OT is no longer in use when used against you, then you quote it to support your stance..lol.. Smh...

Wow, just wow...
Re: Tattoo On The Body Is Evil by FXKing2012(m): 9:02am On Jan 17, 2013
@Goshen360, I totally agree with you. I already made it abundantly clear that body marks that are as a result of circumstances beyond ones control could never be termed sinful.
And I also believe God will not hold it against you if the tatoos were got before becoming born again.
Re: Tattoo On The Body Is Evil by MrAnony1(m): 11:20am On Jan 17, 2013
Goshen360: Okay, FXKing2012,

I fully understand you and I believe you're right. Our body doesn't belong to us ANYMORE ONLY AFTER we come to Christ. Personally, I'm tattoo craze on women because I personally love it but I don't see any biblical reason why any Christian AFTER being born again will wear tattoo, I mean AFTER born again experience. That will be against scriptures according to the verses you raised.

Apostle Paul said, "the life I NOW life, that is AFTER BEING CRUCIFIED WITH CHRIST, is no longer my life but Christ that lives in me, I only live in my body by faith.

Those who say Christians can do whatever they like with their body errs in the very face of the New testament scriptures you quoted.

That being said, we need to address two issues here:

1. Tribal mark isn't done by people who carry it but most of them by the parent when the child is young. Therefore, when such child(ten) come to Christ, they're not responsible for such tribal marks. God is not going to punish them for such before and after they come to Christ.

2. Those who have tattoos BEFORE they're born again. God is not going to punish them for such. Why? Old things are gone if anyone be in Christ, all things are now new. That's new creation and in new creation, we're not given a new or another body, it's still the same body if the person if tattooed.
Hmm Bro Goshen, I think we might just have a discussion here.
Re: Tattoo On The Body Is Evil by Image123(m): 1:32am On Jan 18, 2013
thread carefully , tread carefully.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Closing Eyes When Praying :how Necessary It Is To The Prayer / Why Are Atheists Never Complaining Of Being Haunted By Witches, Only Xtians? / Catholic Bishops Donate N10million To Nimbo Victims Of Fulani Herdsmen Attacks

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.