Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,412 members, 7,808,466 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 12:24 PM

Tattoo On The Body Is Evil - Religion (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Tattoo On The Body Is Evil (9957 Views)

Reasons Why Yoruba Religion(aborisa) Is Evil / According To Jesus, Yahweh Is Evil. / Bishop Oyedepo Is Evil (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Tattoo On The Body Is Evil by MrAnony1(m): 1:22am On Jan 24, 2013
FXKing2012:
Pls stop spreading lies and leading people to etenal damnation. Young Christians may be reading and such teaching is capable of leading them astray.

Now do u even know the history of tattooing? Did u know it has its origin in paganism? I bet u never knew that. Folks like u just embrace anything that is in vogue in the name of changing wt the times cos u dont wanna be left behind.

Ok, let me help your ignorance so u can learn something new. Below is a text from the history of tattooing:

"In 1891, archaeologists discovered the
mummified remains of amunet, a priestess of the goddess hathor, at thebes who lived some time between 2160 BC and 1994 BC.
This female mummy displayed several
lines and dots tattooed about her body - grouping dots and/ or dashes were aligned into abstract geometric patterns. This art form was restricted
to women only, and usually these women were associated with ritualistic practice.
The Egyptians spread the practice of
tattooing throughout the world."

www.designboom.com/history/tattoo_history.html
For something very related, why don't you read 1 Cor 8 for what Paul says about food offered to idols.
Re: Tattoo On The Body Is Evil by MrAnony1(m): 1:53am On Jan 24, 2013
Image123:
Nah, i'm not talking oh. i was just making a comment on the Lev 19v27 passages' backdrop that it was a ridiculous and irrelevant passage. That passage is the only passage in the whole OT that staightly says to love one's neighbour as one's self.
Lev 19:18 Thou shalt not avenge, nor bear any grudge against the children of thy people, but thou shalt love thy neighbor as thyself: I am the LORD.
That is the great commandment and Jesus reckoned with it. It may be quite hasty or dangerous to dismiss anything in that passage carelessly.
Oh no, I don't dismiss anything in that passage carelessly at all. I am just categorizing them appropriately. You and I will both agree that tattooing falls into the same category of outward appearances like shaving hair, joining different fabrics and sowing different seed. We both know that it is the God inside that matters and not the outward appearances.

This tattoo business is very similar to the Jewish disciples who were trying to enforce circumcision in the new testament church. Having a tattoo or not having a tattoo does not affect your standing with God in any way. The only reasons why one might not get a tattoo is for the sake of conscience due to cultural background and for the sake of other brethren who may equate tattoing to sin. As for tattoos in themselves, there is absolutely nothing wrong with them.

1 Like

Re: Tattoo On The Body Is Evil by Nobody: 5:11am On Jan 24, 2013
Mr_Anony:
Oh no, I don't dismiss anything in that passage carelessly at all. I am just categorizing them appropriately. You and I will both agree that tattooing falls into the same category of outward appearances like shaving hair, joining different fabrics and sowing different seed. We both know that it is the God inside that matters and not the outward appearances.

This tattoo business is very similar to the Jewish disciples who were trying to enforce circumcision in the new testament church. Having a tattoo or not having a tattoo does not affect your standing with God in any way. The only reasons why one might not get a tattoo is for the sake of conscience due to cultural background and for the sake of other brethren who may equate tattoing to sin. As for tattoos in themselves, there is absolutely nothing wrong with them.

For once I agree with you! smiley
Re: Tattoo On The Body Is Evil by FXKing2012(m): 6:27am On Jan 24, 2013
Mr_Anony:
For something very related, why don't you read 1 Cor 8 for what Paul says about food offered to idols.
He said you should not take such food if it makes your brother fall or weak. So why get a tattoo if it can affect the faith of a brother? It's a sin to cause a brother to fall.
Re: Tattoo On The Body Is Evil by FXKing2012(m): 6:43am On Jan 24, 2013
Mr_Anony: You and I will both agree that tattooing falls into the same category of outward appearances like shaving hair, joining different fabrics and sowing different seed. We both know that it is the God inside that matters and not the outward appearances.
How dare you equate tattooing with shaving or joining different fabric. Tattooing permanently damages your body while the hair you shave is actually a waste product.

And pls enough of the crap about God only cares about the inside, people have found themselves in hell for indecent exposure and the likes.
Ok, so if a girl goes about exposing herself, it does not matter to God as long as her heart is right with God?

Bros, please you are leading people astray. You cannot divorce the inside from the outside because the two make the whole body/man. So if your outside/body is 'dirty' then your inside/heart is also definitely 'dirty'.
Re: Tattoo On The Body Is Evil by Nobody: 6:46am On Jan 24, 2013
Anony, get back to arguing with atheists.. they're the only ones who tolerate your Anonyism..
Re: Tattoo On The Body Is Evil by MrAnony1(m): 7:01am On Jan 24, 2013
Logicboy03:
Lol, actually we do agree on quite a number of things but we both know it is much more fun arguing over our differences now isn't it? wink
Re: Tattoo On The Body Is Evil by MrAnony1(m): 7:02am On Jan 24, 2013
musKeeto: Anony, get back to arguing with atheists.. they're the only ones who tolerate your Anonyism..
Nonsense....anonyism ko muskeetoism ni.

1 Like

Re: Tattoo On The Body Is Evil by Nobody: 7:14am On Jan 24, 2013
Mr_Anony:
Nonsense....anonyism ko muskeetoism ni.
logicboyism ko ifenessism ni..

1 Like

Re: Tattoo On The Body Is Evil by MrAnony1(m): 7:19am On Jan 24, 2013
FXKing2012:
He said you should not take such food if it makes your brother fall or weak. So why get a tattoo if it can affect the faith of a brother? It's a sin to cause a brother to fall.
This is my point exactly. There is nothing wrong with the food in itself. It is just so that the brother who feels that there is something wrong with it does not take offence and thereby fall into sin. Same thing for tattoos.

I'll give you a similar example. When I was a youth corper in our NCCF family house, trousers were banned for the ladies and shorts were banned for the guys. Why? is it because there was something sinful in shorts and trousers? Not so but because some people see it as something wrong, the rest of us have to accommodate their feelings.

Another example: Personally, I don't drink alchohol but you know what, times when I shared communion with some of my Anglican brethren, I drank some of it. It doesn't make me a sinner.
Re: Tattoo On The Body Is Evil by MrAnony1(m): 7:20am On Jan 24, 2013
musKeeto:
logicboyism ko ifenessism ni..
lolololol . . . .abeg o! no use laughter wound me for sit-up wey I do this morning
Re: Tattoo On The Body Is Evil by Nobody: 7:24am On Jan 24, 2013
Mr_Anony:
lolololol . . . .abeg o! no use laughter wound me for sit-up wey I do this morning
grin
Re: Tattoo On The Body Is Evil by MrAnony1(m): 7:33am On Jan 24, 2013
FXKing2012:
How dare you equate tattooing with shaving or joining different fabric. Tattooing permanently damages your body while the hair you shave is actually a waste product.

And pls enough of the crap about God only cares about the inside, people have found themselves in hell for indecent exposure and the likes.
Ok, so if a girl goes about exposing herself, it does not matter to God as long as her heart is right with God?

Bros, please you are leading people astray. You cannot divorce the inside from the outside because the two make the whole body/man. So if your outside/body is 'dirty' then your inside/heart is also definitely 'dirty'.
My friend do you mean to tell me that if I preach to a young native Swahili girl who walks around naked as part of their culture, that the Holy Spirit won't work with her because she is naked? I don't think so.

In fact I will go on to say that if Jesus had not been Jewish but was ancient Igbo, he would most probably have walked around dressed in nothing more than a loincloth and his mother Mary (or maybe her name in this case would be Amaka) would have also walked around topless.

The point is that the gospel as much as it is steeped in Jewish culture, it is not Jewish culture. Christ by far transcends nationalities and cultures. Please don't reduce Him to petty cultural observations and customs.
Re: Tattoo On The Body Is Evil by Zikkyy(m): 8:16am On Jan 24, 2013
Mr_Anony:
My friend do you mean to tell me that if I preach to a young native Swahili girl who walks around naked as part of their culture, that the Holy Spirit won't work with her because she is naked? I don't think so.

In fact I will go on to say that if Jesus had not been Jewish but was ancient Igbo, he would most probably have walked around dressed in nothing more than a loincloth and his mother Mary (or maybe her name in this case would be Amaka) would have also walked around topless.

The point is that the gospel as much as it is steeped in Jewish culture, it is not Jewish culture. Christ by far transcends nationalities and cultures. Please don't reduce Him to petty cultural observations and customs.

Good talk. Am with Anony on this one. The 'idea' of a tattoo should not be considered a sin jare. But I still don't understand why people do it sha smiley
Re: Tattoo On The Body Is Evil by Image123(m): 10:08am On Jan 24, 2013
una wan force mi to talk on tattoo sha, anyway, i believe my point has been noted. The posts encompassed every post and the air around as it were, not only you Anony. There's something to learn from EVERY Scripture including Lev. 19.
Re: Tattoo On The Body Is Evil by MrAnony1(m): 10:14am On Jan 24, 2013
Zikkyy:

Good talk. Am with Anony on this one. The 'idea' of a tattoo should not be considered a sin jare. But I still don't understand why people do it sha smiley
Lol, I don't understand it too but I can't scripturally fault it

Image123: una wan force mi to talk on tattoo sha, anyway, i believe my point has been noted. The posts encompassed every post and the air around as it were, not only you Anony. There's something to learn from EVERY Scripture including Lev. 19.
Lol, I agree.
Re: Tattoo On The Body Is Evil by FXKing2012(m): 11:07am On Jan 24, 2013
Mr_Anony:

You are the one trying to confine Christianity within cultural walls. Your geographical location or culture is not what determines what constitutes a sin and what doesnt; sinful act is universal. You cant tell me what is a sin in Mexico is/may not be a sin in Papua New Guinea. God will not judge humans based on culture because He is not biased; we serve the same God and He will use the same standard in judging.

Now, simply because an act is acceptable in a certain culture doesnt make it right - not all cultures are right. In ancient Igbo communities, twins were considered evil and so were killed. The fact that it was the culture of the people at the time doesnt make it right. In some cultures cannibalism is practised, now does that mean it's right?

So to your argument: simply because women in some cultures walk around naked doesnt make it right, has it occured to you that they may still be living in darkness and yet to see the light of Christ which is why they walk around nude? Just as cannibalism and the killing of twins were practised in some cultures before seeing the light of Christ.

God and Christianity transcends culture, so please dont try to confine God, Christianity or the definition of a sin within cultural boundaries. Right/good is universal just as sin/evil is universal before God.
Re: Tattoo On The Body Is Evil by MrAnony1(m): 1:34pm On Jan 24, 2013
FXKing2012:

You are the one trying to confine Christianity within cultural walls. Your geographical location or culture is not what determines what constitutes a sin and what doesnt; sinful act is universal. You cant tell me what is a sin in Mexico is/may not be a sin in Papua New Guinea. God will not judge humans based on culture because He is not biased; we serve the same God and He will use the same standard in judging.

Now, simply because an act is acceptable in a certain culture doesnt make it right - not all cultures are right. In ancient Igbo communities, twins were considered evil and so were killed. The fact that it was the culture of the people at the time doesnt make it right. In some cultures cannibalism is practised, now does that mean it's right?

So to your argument: simply because women in some cultures walk around naked doesnt make it right, has it occured to you that they may still be living in darkness and yet to see the light of Christ which is why they walk around nude? Just as cannibalism and the killing of twins were practised in some cultures before seeing the light of Christ.

God and Christianity transcends culture, so please dont try to confine God, Christianity or the definition of a sin within cultural boundaries. Right/good is universal just as sin/evil is universal before God.
Lol, Ever heard of what is called a non-sequitor? Equating nakedness to killing of twins just doesn't follow.
Re: Tattoo On The Body Is Evil by honourhim: 1:56pm On Jan 24, 2013
Logicboy03:

then am afraid.
Re: Tattoo On The Body Is Evil by Goshen360(m): 2:22pm On Jan 24, 2013
@ FXKing2012,

I just thought of something now reading your other thread. Here is my question if you/we consider tattoo as a sin.

Do you consider tattoo as a sin NOT UNTO DEATH That's if you/we consider it as a sin.

I'm just asking for purpose of biblical reasoning, no offense please!
Re: Tattoo On The Body Is Evil by honourhim: 2:25pm On Jan 24, 2013
Mr_Anony:

The bible said that our body is the temple of the living God. Dont you think the owner of the temple will be interested how the temple is being kept? I think we shouldnt be quick in dismissing things done with our body with the statement- God looks in the heart.
Yes God looks in the heart. Before the man went for the tattoo, he first of all thought about it and had reasons in his heart why he wants to tattoo (which usually has much to do with lust of the flesh) and of course God sees the thoughts of his heart and judges him accordingly. This goes for every other thing we do in life as children of God(including our dressing). Not only tattoo. when you dress to kill, or appear hot or seductive etc, God sees the intents of your heart and judges accordinly. God looks in the heart because the heart is the centre of every action we take in life. Before you do anything you first conceive it in your heart. It is very easy for us as human beings to say that we did something out of our plain mind whereas in our hearts we actually did not do it out of plain mind thats the more reason why God looks in our heart more than our outward. The heart is where the true picture is. God not looking at our outward does not mean that we are free to appear anyhow or do things anyhow.
Re: Tattoo On The Body Is Evil by honourhim: 2:43pm On Jan 24, 2013
Mr_Anony:

God is interested in we covering our unclothedness. See Genesis 3:21- The Lord God made garments of skin for Adam and his wife and clothed them.
Re: Tattoo On The Body Is Evil by ijawkid(m): 3:36pm On Jan 24, 2013
Mr_Anony:
Lol, Ever heard of what is called a non-sequitor? Equating nakedness to killing of twins just doesn't follow.

And may I join in this discussion by saying equating FOOD with body mutilation or tattooing doesn't fit too.....because you have been using pauls mention of food to drive home your point why a christian getting a tattoo isn't wrong......food is a staple commodity tatto-ing is not....infact tattooing is useless...........there isn't any moral ground that would justify a christian with a complete bible trained conscience to go get tattoos........
No early 1st century Christian would run to go get tattoos thinking God would like it......only pagans drew tattoos on the bodies........

......Jesus dying for us does not mean we should do what ever we like thinking its all gonna bring praise to GOD.........our Body is so much important to GOD......we live for GOD and for his son and not for our selfish cravings.......
Re: Tattoo On The Body Is Evil by honourhim: 3:39pm On Jan 24, 2013
ijawkid:

And may I join in this discussion by saying equating FOOD with body mutilation or tattooing doesn't fit too.....because you have been using pauls mention of food to drive home your point why a christian getting a tattoo isn't wrong......food is a staple commodity tatto-ing is not....infact tattooing is useless...........there isn't any moral ground that would justify a christian with a complete bible trained conscience to go get tattoos........
No early 1st century Christian would run to go get tattoos thinking God would like it......only pagans drew tattoos on the bodies........

......Jesus dying for us does not mean we should do what ever we like thinking its all gonna bring praise to GOD.........our Body is so much important to GOD......we live for GOD and for his son and not for our selfish cravings.......
And may God bless you for this.
Re: Tattoo On The Body Is Evil by Nobody: 3:49pm On Jan 24, 2013
ijawkid:

See this bible remixer! What is the difference between a scar and a tattoo? My friend has a scar from an iron that looks like a tattoo! Or the Yoruba people that have tribal marks will go to hell abi?

When they say "our body is the temple of the lord", it is not literal. It doesnt mean the human body, rather what we do with our lives.

If it was literal, people with scars, tribal marks, scars from surgeries that they chose etc, are now evil

1 Like

Re: Tattoo On The Body Is Evil by Nobody: 4:03pm On Jan 24, 2013
Lol, is this a logicboy and anony tag team? Wonders shall never end...
Re: Tattoo On The Body Is Evil by ijawkid(m): 4:08pm On Jan 24, 2013
Logicboy03:

See this bible remixer! What is the difference between a scar and a tattoo? My friend has a scar from an iron that looks like a tattoo! Or the Yoruba people that have tribal marks will go to hell abi?

When they say "our body is the temple of the lord", it is not literal. It doesnt mean the human body, rather what we do with our lives.

If it was literal, people with scars, tribal marks, scars from surgeries that they chose etc, are now evil

Scars from surgeries and accidents are not inclusive in this discussion...because they are inevitable.....we cannÓt call scars gotten from accidents or surgerÍes tattoos....can we??..........but going to mutilate ones flesh or skin for shakara sake or for some reckless paganistic reasons is something detestable to GOD...................

I under§tant the symbolic meaning of our body being the temple of GOD........aÑd that meaning is congruent with one who claims to be following Christ not pursuing or bÉen fashioned after the world........what a christians does with his life should allign with scriptural principles......tattoos have always being a practice of the pagans....it has never for once had any connection with servants of GOD .......that is why GOD commanded the isrealites not to get tattoos.......it does not in anyway glorify GOD .................Ño apostle or a 1st century chrÍstian would have had the thoÙght of getting a tattoo............

May I ask yoÙ.........what's the reason behinÐ the yorubas having tribal marks??.......
Re: Tattoo On The Body Is Evil by ijawkid(m): 4:10pm On Jan 24, 2013
musKeeto: Lol, is this a logicboy and anony tag team? Wonders shall never end...

Yes o.....the tag go tight well well.....see how logicboy dey give me the symbolic meaning of ""your body is the temple of GOD"".......grin......everybody clap for logicboy.....grin.....
Re: Tattoo On The Body Is Evil by Nobody: 4:37pm On Jan 24, 2013
ijawkid:

Scars from surgeries and accidents are not inclusive in this discussion...because they are inevitable.....we cannÓt call scars gotten from accidents or surgerÍes tattoos....can we??..........but going to mutilate ones flesh or skin for shakara sake or for some reckless paganistic reasons is something detestable to GOD...................

I under§tant the symbolic meaning of our body being the temple of GOD........aÑd that meaning is congruent with one who claims to be following Christ not pursuing or bÉen fashioned after the world........what a christians does with his life should allign with scriptural principles......tattoos have always being a practice of the pagans....it has never for once had any connection with servants of GOD .......that is why GOD commanded the isrealites not to get tattoos.......it does not in anyway glorify GOD .................Ño apostle or a 1st century chrÍstian would have had the thoÙght of getting a tattoo............

May I ask yoÙ.........what's the reason behinÐ the yorubas having tribal marks??.......

I would ask you the relevance of Paul's statement on circumcision.

Not all surgeries are necessary

1 Like

Re: Tattoo On The Body Is Evil by FXKing2012(m): 9:15pm On Jan 24, 2013
Goshen360: @ FXKing2012,

I just thought of something now reading your other thread. Here is my question if you/we consider tattoo as a sin.

Do you consider tattoo as a sin NOT UNTO DEATH That's if you/we consider it as a sin.

I'm just asking for purpose of biblical reasoning, no offense please!

Now, that is the intelligent question we should be asking: tattooing is definitely a sin but is it a sin unto death? In other words, can/will it take us to hell?

We serve a kind and loving God, so I'm inclined to believe that the GRACE of God will not make it possible for such to take us to hell so long our heart is right with God.
Re: Tattoo On The Body Is Evil by honourhim: 9:27pm On Jan 24, 2013
Logicboy03:

can you see that you know the bible but you just allowed satan to deceive you by being an atheists. My friend, you dont have excuse before God. May God save your soul. Amen.

1 Like

Re: Tattoo On The Body Is Evil by Nobody: 9:37pm On Jan 24, 2013
honourhim:
can you see that you know the bible but you just allowed satan to deceive you by being an atheists. My friend, you dont have excuse before God. May God save your soul. Amen.

LMAO......

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Why Are Atheists Never Complaining Of Being Haunted By Witches, Only Xtians? / Catholic Bishops Donate N10million To Nimbo Victims Of Fulani Herdsmen Attacks / Mothering Sunday: Today Is Mother's Day, Celebrate Your Mom!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 91
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.