Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,972 members, 7,806,823 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 02:24 AM

Myth or Reality: Yoruba is closer to the Edos culturally than the East is. - Culture (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Myth or Reality: Yoruba is closer to the Edos culturally than the East is. (70315 Views)

The Edos And The Rains / The Edos / The Edos & The Children Of Israel - Born Of The Same Father! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (36) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Myth or Reality: Yoruba is closer to the Edos culturally than the East is. by aljharem(m): 7:44pm On Feb 04, 2012
dayokanu:

Igbos just wan attache by force

haba, there is nothing wrong in what they are doing wink

if they attache good  smiley
Re: Myth or Reality: Yoruba is closer to the Edos culturally than the East is. by Afam4eva(m): 7:46pm On Feb 04, 2012
@dayokanu
I guess all the Nigerians with english names are english people ba? There's a group called ekpeye in rivers state that speak and their people bear Igbo names. But that does not make them Igbos. How much more a selected few who bear Yoruba names in edo state.
Re: Myth or Reality: Yoruba is closer to the Edos culturally than the East is. by Obiagu1(m): 7:46pm On Feb 04, 2012
tpia@:

what's funny?

yes, they bear yoruba names and thus might be mistaken for yoruba by people who arent familiar with the area.

Laughing at how you told that Yoruba boy to back off. cool
Re: Myth or Reality: Yoruba is closer to the Edos culturally than the East is. by tpia5: 7:47pm On Feb 04, 2012
^you have an overactive imagination.
Re: Myth or Reality: Yoruba is closer to the Edos culturally than the East is. by Obiagu1(m): 7:49pm On Feb 04, 2012
tpia@:

^you have an overactive imagination.

That's an understatement wink
Re: Myth or Reality: Yoruba is closer to the Edos culturally than the East is. by tpia5: 7:54pm On Feb 04, 2012
it's good you already know.
Re: Myth or Reality: Yoruba is closer to the Edos culturally than the East is. by gabbytabby: 8:06pm On Feb 04, 2012
Wetin concern people wey no be Edo with who Edo man affiliate with. Theif their they look for oil to steal so everyone na him brother.
Re: Myth or Reality: Yoruba is closer to the Edos culturally than the East is. by dayokanu(m): 8:13pm On Feb 04, 2012
afam4eva:

@dayokanu
I guess all the Nigerians with english names are english people ba? There's a group called ekpeye in rivers state that speak and their people bear Igbo names. But that does not make them Igbos. How much more a selected few who bear Yoruba names in edo state.

First you claim the names dont mean anything in Yoruba, you were proved wrong.

Next you claim there are no Yoruba groups inside Edo, You were proved wrong

Then you bring this stupid analogy?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Myth or Reality: Yoruba is closer to the Edos culturally than the East is. by Katsumoto: 8:17pm On Feb 04, 2012
SMDH

A lot of ignorance on this thread, particularly from the thread starter.

The thread in itself shows a lack of basic knowledge. Who are Edo people? You can't even differentiate between Bini and other groups who make up edo state.

Who said Akoko edo people are not Yoruba? Please go and read up on the relationship between the binis and the Yoruba in Ondo, idoani, Akoko, etc. Was Ozolua the conqueror not the father of the Alani of Idoani?

The 16 original Yoruba kings including the Oba of Bini all came from the same father. I don't know about the other groups in edo but the Akoko people and the Bini are blood with Yoruba.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Myth or Reality: Yoruba is closer to the Edos culturally than the East is. by tpia5: 8:20pm On Feb 04, 2012
^ dont have time to go into extended arguments right now.

akoko edos are not yoruba- i didnt get this info from a book.
Re: Myth or Reality: Yoruba is closer to the Edos culturally than the East is. by Afam4eva(m): 8:22pm On Feb 04, 2012
@dayokanu
Names like Aiyegbeni and Adesua are not Yoiruba but bini names. Though there are a handful of prople from akoko edo who bear Yoruba names but that doesn't make them Yoruba.
Re: Myth or Reality: Yoruba is closer to the Edos culturally than the East is. by tpia5: 8:24pm On Feb 04, 2012
ayegbeni and adesua are yoruba names but you might find edo people bearing the same.
Re: Myth or Reality: Yoruba is closer to the Edos culturally than the East is. by dayokanu(m): 8:26pm On Feb 04, 2012
afam4eva:

@dayokanu
Names like Aiyegbeni and Adesua are not Yoiruba but bini names. Though there are a handful of prople from akoko edo who bear Yoruba names but that doesn't make them Yoruba.

You said those names dont have any meaning in Yoruba wasnt that your point
Re: Myth or Reality: Yoruba is closer to the Edos culturally than the East is. by Afam4eva(m): 8:38pm On Feb 04, 2012
Yes, that was my point and I stand by it.
Re: Myth or Reality: Yoruba is closer to the Edos culturally than the East is. by dayokanu(m): 8:41pm On Feb 04, 2012
After we have told you the meaning of those names like Oyegun and Aiyegbeni?

If a man from Ibadan bears those names, no one would bat an eyelid

The moral of the story if to verify whatever lie you are about to spew on the www.

What next, Chukwuemeka has no meaning in Igbo language?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Myth or Reality: Yoruba is closer to the Edos culturally than the East is. by Afam4eva(m): 8:49pm On Feb 04, 2012
So, how come yorubas don't bear those names?
Re: Myth or Reality: Yoruba is closer to the Edos culturally than the East is. by Abagworo(m): 9:09pm On Feb 04, 2012
Nairalanders can be funny as hell. Experts have noticed the level of similarities between Igbo,Yoruba,Edo and Igala groups and studies have shown that they all have same root. The changes in physique and language came from years of separation and dilution with their neighbors. Igbos seem to have assumed almost the same physique with Efik/Ibibio, while Yorubas might have retained the original looks of all of us. Historically, Yorubas had empires that fought with other empires like Benin,Nupe and Oyo but Igbos did not. The similarity of Igbos and Benin increased greatly from around 16th century when a lot of Igbos mixed with Edos and Edos seem to have influenced Igbos more. Especially the Western Igbos.

We all have similarities and differences.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Myth or Reality: Yoruba is closer to the Edos culturally than the East is. by OAM4J: 9:10pm On Feb 04, 2012
Interesting thread!

A lot can be learned from this thread if we don't mess it up with too much tribal sentiments and insults.

afam4eva:

So, how come yorubas don't bear those names?

Many Yorubas from Ondo state answer the names. At least i know some Yorubas with those names.

Adesua is always called Adesewa in Yoruba. . . Not certain if they mean the same thing though  undecided
Re: Myth or Reality: Yoruba is closer to the Edos culturally than the East is. by Afam4eva(m): 9:16pm On Feb 04, 2012
You're not sure if Adesua and Adesewa have the same meaning then why juxtapose? This kind logic get k-leg oo.
Re: Myth or Reality: Yoruba is closer to the Edos culturally than the East is. by OneNaira6: 9:18pm On Feb 04, 2012
Some of una are aware Bini is not the only Edo community like the OP phrase thus shouldn't the question be is Yoruba closer to Bini than the East?

Most Edo communities aren't close to Yoruba but there are few whom are.
Re: Myth or Reality: Yoruba is closer to the Edos culturally than the East is. by kizito96(m): 9:19pm On Feb 04, 2012
They are closer to Yoruba Culture
Re: Myth or Reality: Yoruba is closer to the Edos culturally than the East is. by OneNaira6: 9:21pm On Feb 04, 2012
kizito96:

They are closer to Yoruba Culture

Incorrect Bini and Yoruba culture are not close. A Bini culture is more similar to other regions in SS than Yoruba.
Re: Myth or Reality: Yoruba is closer to the Edos culturally than the East is. by musiwa43: 9:26pm On Feb 04, 2012
the edo people are biological brothers of yoruba people.

delta and state and edo state have voted for yoruba people
Re: Myth or Reality: Yoruba is closer to the Edos culturally than the East is. by OneNaira6: 9:34pm On Feb 04, 2012
musiwa,,.:

the edo people are biological brothers of yoruba people.

delta and state and edo state have voted for yoruba people

Can we stop lying to ourselves with this facade. I cannot speak for Edo since I'm not from there but I can assure delta and Yoruba are not biological brothers as you claim and neither do they vote for Yoruba. Almost every Delta communities will tell you this except Iteskiri and maybe Urhobo but Urhobo are divide in that claim thus the maybe

By the way, there are Edo communities whom aren't related to Yoruba at all.
Una, Nigerians of non-SS region, at least try and learn SS before trying to claim SS from left and right.
Re: Myth or Reality: Yoruba is closer to the Edos culturally than the East is. by akigbemaru: 9:41pm On Feb 04, 2012
Dele momodu is from Edo but alot of people think he's from Yoruba land.
Segun Oginni is also from Edo and I know alot of Edo peopel that bear Segun.
Just like Dele Giwa was an Edo man. But there is one thing that is clear, alot these people tend to speak Yoruba fluently despite they are from Edo. Edo and Yoruba share the same lineage -- so true!

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Myth or Reality: Yoruba is closer to the Edos culturally than the East is. by deb(m): 9:46pm On Feb 04, 2012
For a fact some Edos bear the same names as the Yorubas e.g. Rotimi

However, who cares if Yoruba or Igbo is closer to Edo?

Yorubas are happy with their identity and don't even need any tribe to be like them.
I will congratulate Igbos if Edo agrees to merge with them. Happy merging

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Myth or Reality: Yoruba is closer to the Edos culturally than the East is. by exotik: 9:47pm On Feb 04, 2012
adesua is not a yoruba name. it is the esan variant of adesuwa meaning "the centre of wealth"

bini - adesuwa
esan - adesua

just thought i should clarify that coz im 100% sure of that.
Re: Myth or Reality: Yoruba is closer to the Edos culturally than the East is. by Nobody: 9:47pm On Feb 04, 2012
Lagos was originally inhabited by the Awori subgroup of the Yoruba people. Under the leadership of their Olofin the Awori moved to an island now called Iddo and then to the larger Lagos Island. In the 15th century the Awori settlement was attacked by the Benin Empire following a quarrel and the island became a Benin war-camp called "Eko" under Oba Orhogba, the Oba of Benin of the time.

Source: Wikipedia
Re: Myth or Reality: Yoruba is closer to the Edos culturally than the East is. by OneNaira6: 9:49pm On Feb 04, 2012
akigbemaru:

Dele momodu is from Edo but alot of people think he's from Yoruba land.
Segun Oginni is also from Edo and I know alot of Edo peopel that bear Segun.
Just like Dele Giwa was an Edo man. But there is one thing that is clear, alot these people tend to speak Yoruba fluently despite they are from Edo. Edo and Yoruba share the same lineage -- so true!

Dele Momodu and Dele Giwa are both Yoruba. I'm unsure about Segun Oginni but the other two are Yoruba.
Re: Myth or Reality: Yoruba is closer to the Edos culturally than the East is. by Nobody: 9:53pm On Feb 04, 2012
Why do ibo people have insecurities when it comes to Yorubas on nairaland??

I never knew Nigerian tribe hate each other this much till I join nairaland, I know a lot of uneducated Ibo tribalists in the UK, but they still wine and dine with Yoruba people - but the hatred on nairaland is of epic proportions, What are y'all going to gain from tribal superiority contest??

Nairaland showed me why my mum used to tell me that Ibo people are greedy, and they've agbari Ojukwu (whatever that means), I guess expansionism and greediness are the reasons why people don't trust the Ibo, Stop this bickering, Ibo people, Nigeria is bigger than one tribe,

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Myth or Reality: Yoruba is closer to the Edos culturally than the East is. by ChinenyeN(m): 9:54pm On Feb 04, 2012
This is nonsense. If there is any history between Edo and anybody else, then it would be whatever characters are adjacent to them. There is no such thing as "Binigbo" relations or "Igbini" history.
Re: Myth or Reality: Yoruba is closer to the Edos culturally than the East is. by Afam4eva(m): 9:55pm On Feb 04, 2012
@akinmeru
Dede Momodu's mum is Yoruba and he studied Yoruba in school. That explains his likeness for Yoruba.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (36) (Reply)

Human Face In Awube Stream, Benue State (Photos) / Meet Pastor Ivie Emiko - The Wife Of New Olu Of Warri - Pictures / Benin Kingdom In Edo Is Yoruba Territory — Ooni Of Ife, Adeyeye Ogunwusi

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.